Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Gold Box Conversions PoR/RoA, CotAB, SotSB, PoD

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brix Posted - 21 Oct 2021 : 13:18:24
This thread is all about all things related to the so called Gold Box computer and pen & paper games from SSI/TSR with a special emphasis on the Forgotten Realms titles (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness)
Objectives of this scroll are:
* Collect all things Gold Box
* Convert the computer games to pen & paper modules
* Flesh out these modules with official & inofficial stuff
* Clarify strange content with today's knowledge
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Masked Mage Posted - 24 Oct 2021 : 23:25:55
FR13's characterization of the "Cruel, backward" claim:

An outsider#146;s view of any people is often distorted. This is especially true of the Bedine, for few folk of Faerun know enough of harsh desert conditions to understand why Bedine are as they are, and do as they do.

As I mentioned before, the Bedine are of Anauroch. They don't enter and cross the Border Forest. They don't go on sightseeing vacations to the Moonsea. They don't fight their way past the forces of Zhentil Keep and the Citadel of the Raven to hang out outside of Phlann. It is just completely out of character. Ruha, who a time or two was known to leave the sands, was shunned as a result and became an outcast. Frankly, I'd more readily believe that somehow a group from Zakhara found themselves in the north-"outlands", despite that seeming insane.
Brix Posted - 24 Oct 2021 : 18:06:26
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

First, I assume the Nomads you are talking about are the ones near Phlan in Pool of Radiance. The Bedine would not be outside Anauroch. Period. No way. Especially not hundreds of miles away. I would file this one right into the faulty assumptions column.

There are other nomad peoples all over the North - most appropriately, in this case, those living on the Ride. The Ride is the big swatch of open land North of Phlan, just past the mountains. Among the things they do is come south to raid. They fit the bill.

Yes. I was talking about these nomads.
I know of the Eraka, the barbarians of the Ride. Those are decendents of Netheril barbarians. They don't seem to be a good fit as well.
Especially with named npcs like Fatima, Hassad Anwal, etc...
In FR13 there is also talk about Bedines as "cruel, backward people". This would fit to the Princes Fatima story.
I could not find any other references for nomads in this area. Of course you can always create some.
But my intention is to sort out official sources first.
Seravin Posted - 23 Oct 2021 : 23:52:25
I've got both modules if there's anything you want me to look up in terms of PoR or CotAB!
Ayrik Posted - 23 Oct 2021 : 20:00:52
FRC1: Ruins of Adventure
FRC2: Curse of the Azure Bonds
The Masked Mage Posted - 23 Oct 2021 : 19:05:13
First, I assume the Nomads you are talking about are the ones near Phlan in Pool of Radiance. The Bedine would not be outside Anauroch. Period. No way. Especially not hundreds of miles away. I would file this one right into the faulty assumptions column.

There are other nomad peoples all over the North - most appropriately, in this case, those living on the Ride. The Ride is the big swatch of open land North of Phlan, just past the mountains. Among the things they do is come south to raid. They fit the bill.
Brix Posted - 22 Oct 2021 : 12:01:46
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

You know, I've always had the inkling that the reason that the Bedines fear sorcery is because every Bedine child is raised on stories of Abi-Dalzim.

Someone has collected lore about named spells here.https://shadowscriptorium.wordpress.com/2020/08/27/history-check-spellbound-names/

That's a nice idea.
They also made some bad experience with Netheril and Phaerimm, to name a few.
LordofBones Posted - 22 Oct 2021 : 10:50:22
You know, I've always had the inkling that the reason that the Bedines fear sorcery is because every Bedine child is raised on stories of Abi-Dalzim.

Abi-Dalzim doesn't have any actual lore; there's a lot of fanlore that Ab-Dalzim was Oeridian, and in addition to being the creator of the horrid wilting spell, is also responsible for the creation of the various dusts and powders in the DMG. I like to place him in the Forgotten Realms, so he's probably an ancient, epic level wizard who's a sort of a cultural bogeyman for the people of the Anauroch.
Brix Posted - 21 Oct 2021 : 13:20:35
[PoR] Nomads Camp
BACKGROUND
Given their arabic sounding names, it's most likely that the nomads are Bedine from the Desert of Anauroch.

The mission: Find the Nomads and stop them from joining forces with our enemies.
Here is the story: The nomads have trouble with kobolds. Princess Fatima (Level 4 fighter) wants to end the thread to have "more leverage with (her) tribe" and to avoid getting married with King Al Rasid by her father, supposedly Headman Hassad Anwal (?)
There is also an efreeti (Samir Ahwahl) in the kobold kingdom that seems to be unrelated to the Bedines (?).
Questions: Who are the enemies supposed to join forces with the nomads? There is no word of negotiations with Lord T. Is it King Al Rasid? Who is he? What is his agenda? Why are the kobolds attacking the nomads so fiercly? Kobolds are often close to dragons. Is there an evil dragon lurking somewhere? A remnant from the dragon run?
BEDINE NPC'S
Following are the original stats.
Camp:
Headman: AC 2, MV 12” ; HD 6; hp 45; #AT 1; Dmg 3-10; THAC0 16; AL LN; +2 long sword, +1 shield, +2 scale mail
Magic-User: AC 2; MV 12”; HD 5; hp 20; Dmg 3-6; THAC0 20; AL LN; +2 dagger; bracers of defense, AC 2; wand of magic missiles, 50 charges left
Spells: 1st level: magic missile(x2), sleep(x2)
2d level: invisibility(x2)
3d level: fireball
Guards (5): AC 4; MV 12” ; HD 4; hp 30; Dmg 2-9; THAC0 18; AL LN; +1 long sword
Nomad Men and Women (95): AC 6; MV 12” ; HD 1; hp 6; Dmg 1-6; THAC0 20; AL LN
Princess Fatima: AC 8; MV 12”; HD 4; hp 33; dmg 1-6: THACO 18; AL CG (?); Leather Armor, Shield, Short Sword
Notes:
In FR13 Anauroch it is said that "Bedines fear "sorcery" some among them are masters of desert magic", and "The Bedine hate magic, and kill all wizards they discover." Some however employ "wind and sand magic"
Thus the above mentioned "Magic-User" is either displaced or a foreigner.
Other npcs can be convert easily by giving them scimitars instead of longswords etc.
One question remains: What are the nomands doing so far away from their desert?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000