Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Word of Heresy: Illumians on the Moon

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 26 Sep 2021 : 13:22:23
Something I wrote last night made me think more on Illumians and the realms, and how much I think they would be neat to include, but that they need to be somewhere not "in your face". I got to thinking, it might be very interesting if there was in fact some Illumians on the moon. They are already a secretive culture, so I don't see them welcoming spelljamming vessels, but they might trade with the inhabitants of the moon.

That got me thinking about "who might they worship amongst the Faerunian pantheon".... and it hit me that the first obvious choice is Deneir. Then, thinking on the idea that Leira is heavily worshipped on the moon, the concept of lies as "words" could also prove fruitful. Obviously, they have their own pantheon, and worship of their own gods shouldn't be discouraged, but I can see Illumians perhaps being encouraged to worship some gods of realmspace that they can easily identify with. The entry on Illumian religion for instance notes that many of them also worship Boccob and others Vecna. I can also picture some Illumians turning from the worship of Aulasha the Librarian to Deneir over her failing to protect the Library of the Sublime.

I further thought that it might be interesting if these Illumians were specifically running a cabal on the moon for the purpose of invading githyanki bases nearby, because the githyanki had sacked the Illumians' Library of the Sublime in the Astral sometime in the 1200's DR. So maybe they want to recover some texts that were instrumental to Illumian culture, history, and/or magic.

I can also see Illumians being interested in the tieflings of Toril that suddenly changed to a mostly uniform appearance over the last century, and there being a heresy amongst them that someone had enacted a new version of the Ritual of Words Made Flesh. This doesn't need to be true of course... it can simply be rumor that needs investigation, and thus the Illumians start to be seen in the world seeking out knowledge.

Anyway, in my longstanding tradition of just firing out ideas, and seeing if it sparks something in anyone else.... does this give anyone ideas?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lord Karsus Posted - 27 Sep 2021 : 02:03:03
-I would assume that Selune would have a following of some size, as an agriculture goddess similar to Chauntea. As far as I know, there really isn't anything about lunar agriculture, but we know that magic keeps the surface of the moon relatively cool and the populations of the settlements there do have to feed and support themselves somehow, so I would assume that it exists.
sleyvas Posted - 26 Sep 2021 : 23:24:06
Well, great minds think alike apparently! I'd be interested to hear anything you can share on that.

I've been playing with this idea throughout the day today, along with the idea that some of the cabal on the moon leave their brethren. I was thinking some of them may be on the flying former netherese enclave of Doubloon that I'd been playing around with, and their leader might have married the Zulkir in hiding that I was having take over the enclave (i.e. Mythrella'a). Picturing Mythrella'a with her blue and white polka dot skin and illusory tattooed head with an illumian with glyphs floating around his head makes for an unusual but interesting to me visual. As a Thayan she might also be very interested in the Ritual of Words Made Flesh and have hopes in mind that are way past her abilities.... but nonetheless hopes.
ericlboyd Posted - 26 Sep 2021 : 21:33:16
Steven is playing a Deneir-worshiping Illumian in my current campaign. Not based on the moon though, as far as I know.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000