Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Cormyr

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Erikor Posted - 16 Sep 2021 : 00:02:16
I'm reading the Cormyr books at the moment and I'm having a great time. It's cool to learn about the history of Cormyr and of the royal magicians.
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Charles Phipps Posted - 11 Mar 2022 : 01:06:56
Robert Baratheon...I mean, Azoun, has also made it so none of the nobility can marry each other and work against him.

It'd be incest.

:)
Eldacar Posted - 11 Mar 2022 : 00:55:40
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

It's an interesting strategy to dynastic disputes to have potentially literally dozens of bastards as a way to dilute their claim.

One much-retold tale concerns an annual spring "promenade" at court, wherein young noble lordlings and ladies are presented to the King for the first time. This is their "coming out" in Suzail society after they've passed puberty, been trained in etiquette and whatever interests they show aptitude for. Their families desire them to have a higher profile so they can gain social connections and influence in the realm. It's customary during such promenades for the younglings to be announced by heralds (in the order of their birth, eldest first) and paraded one-by-one in their finest garb through the throne chamber before the enthroned king and all who desire to attend. It's also been customary for Vangerdahast to stand behind the throne, staring steadily at each of them (and, so the rumors run -- correctly -- mentally co-ordinating War Wizards who are scrying, prying, and spell-recording the images of every young noble). It's usual for many of the young nobles to resemble Azoun in some way, but on this particular promenade, almost all of them looked very much like the king. In the silence that followed the last presentation, ere the King rose to invite the assembled into adjacent state chambers for revelry, to meet "the bright new blood and hope of the realm," Vangerdahast was clearly heard to remark to Azoun, in carefully neutral tones -- "Moderation, my liege?"

Potentially. Sure, let’s go with that.
Charles Phipps Posted - 10 Mar 2022 : 23:59:49
quote:
She was a Red Wizard of Thay who had knocked boots with Azoun, had a bastard child from him and - the joke was on her - thought that this was "special" and she could put him on the throne (and control Cormyr) after the Bleths and other nobles she had manipulated fomented enough disorder and chaos that the Obarskyrs would be overthrown.

It's an interesting strategy to dynastic disputes to have potentially literally dozens of bastards as a way to dilute their claim.

But yes, I love these novels. Alusair is one of my all time favorite fictional characters.
Cyrano Posted - 28 Sep 2021 : 13:37:18
I remember really enjoying the first book when I first read it as a teenager. The little vignettes from Cormyr's history really stuck with me. Such a good way to give a historical overview of the country and make it feel tangible and dramatic.

I think the next two books suffer not just from the quality of the writing and plot, but through being just straightforward linear adventures instead.
Erikor Posted - 25 Sep 2021 : 02:04:49
I don't even care anymore. About halfway through the third book I just wanted it to end. I*m about 80% in on third book and I have so many questions. I'm going to finish it because I've gotten this far but damn. First off: I hate Tanalasta. What a terrible character. Second: (this is from the second book) I know this is fantasy but how can you see someone's movement's from a mile away? And in the third book it's said that arrows can follow the enemy for at least 2 miles. Do the archers run after them or what? I still have a bit left but.. I just want the book to end.
George Krashos Posted - 18 Sep 2021 : 01:17:27
quote:
Originally posted by Erikor

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

My issue with the first one is that you never get to know who the big bad is. It might be revealed in nr. 2 or 3, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I could've sworn it was revealed to be one particular noble family with eyes on the throne.

Yes, the Bleths.

-- George Krashos

Yes, but who was the female wizard? The one who started the whole thing and gave the nobles the gemstones?

She was a Red Wizard of Thay who had knocked boots with Azoun, had a bastard child from him and - the joke was on her - thought that this was "special" and she could put him on the throne (and control Cormyr) after the Bleths and other nobles she had manipulated fomented enough disorder and chaos that the Obarskyrs would be overthrown.

-- George Krashos
Erikor Posted - 17 Sep 2021 : 16:27:16
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

quote:

My issue with the first one is that you never get to know who the big bad is. It might be revealed in nr. 2 or 3, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I could've sworn it was revealed to be one particular noble family with eyes on the throne.

Yes, the Bleths.

-- George Krashos

Yes, but who was the female wizard? The one who started the whole thing and gave the nobles the gemstones?
George Krashos Posted - 17 Sep 2021 : 16:20:56
quote:

quote:

Yes, the Bleths.

-- George Krashos
The Masked Mage Posted - 16 Sep 2021 : 21:45:57
There are a bunch of bads in the first one. Which is realistic - a royal dynasty with generational adversaries... that is great. A single big bad behind every problem for hundreds of years is boring.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Sep 2021 : 20:20:46
quote:

Erikor Posted - 16 Sep 2021 : 19:26:51
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Sep 2021 : 12:51:30
The first Cormyr book is the best of the bunch, by far. I, too, had issues with the second and third one.
The Masked Mage Posted - 16 Sep 2021 : 08:37:07
the first was by far the best, at least in my estimation... read that one twice and skip the Highroad one :P

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000