Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Heavy Magic

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
novaes Posted - 10 Sep 2021 : 18:33:21
Dear sages, could you inform me if there is any description in terms of rules of "heavy magic" used by Karsus?

Rules can be contained in both Ad&d and 3.x

If there are no official rules for this type of magic, what do you suggest we do to introduce it into my game?

Is there any basis in the heavy magic quotes that would justify developing a "template", "heavy magic user"? Without this harming the canon, of course.

When a type of power, or creature is mentioned in realms material, but there are no statistics, only descriptions, what do you usually do?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gelcur Posted - 21 Sep 2021 : 17:00:10
I enjoy figuring out rules normally but alas am a bit busy at the moment. I will say when reading the description of Heavy Magic it reminded me of quintessence as the general feel. It deals with time instead of magic, the concept of making something intangible tangible, the idea that it can be harnessed to do useful things but also be destructive. Might be a good springboard for someone looking to update Heavy Magic.
sleyvas Posted - 21 Sep 2021 : 15:27:47
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Chardalyn having Abyssal ties is a retcon, and it's a non-sensical one at that. I'd personally say that either A)Abyssal chardalyn is only available in one region, and it's a tainted version of the regular stuff, or B)Abyssal chardalyn has nothing to do with regular chardalyn, it's misnamed.

I agree that the properties listed are different, but I won't say nonsensical. Its not unusual for one person's accounting of the properties of a crystal or metal to not list everything that there is to know about the stuff. For instance, someone 300 years ago writing about the properties of silver versus someone today will write entirely different views.

That being said, I also don't mind the idea of them being different materials and people using the same name for "black gems that work with magic". I've long felt it would be good to do something similar to Volo's Guide to Magic to gather all this newer stuff that's been introduced in later editions (such as blended quartz, etc....).
The Masked Mage Posted - 21 Sep 2021 : 09:25:15
Either way, I'd say that making heavy magic a solution would mean that the spell that creates it, would actually be a conjuration spell that summons up a bit f the dust. Interesting twist.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Sep 2021 : 20:16:07
Chardalyn having Abyssal ties is a retcon, and it's a non-sensical one at that. I'd personally say that either A)Abyssal chardalyn is only available in one region, and it's a tainted version of the regular stuff, or B)Abyssal chardalyn has nothing to do with regular chardalyn, it's misnamed.
sleyvas Posted - 20 Sep 2021 : 15:07:54
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:
Sorry, but I'm not a rules person. I think the overall concept is too badly flawed. For me, it's one of those situations where it would take more time and energy to fix a bad thing than it would to just make something new.

At first glance, heavy magic resembles chardalyn in colloidal phase. I too would take the Netheril:Empire of Magic set with a grain of salt.

Well, I had to first look up colloidal, as its not a word I use often. So, what you're saying is that heavy magic appears to be like a "gel"/"ooze" that's working because "ground up" chardalyn dust is mixed in with it. I will say that's an interesting idea. If we go with a more modern "understanding" of what Chardalyn is (i.e. it seems to be a crystal with ties to the Abyss) might the "gel"/"ooze" also have similar ties? Just a thought that popped in my head when reading what you wrote.
The Masked Mage Posted - 20 Sep 2021 : 09:42:41
quote:

quote:
Sorry, but I'm not a rules person. I think the overall concept is too badly flawed. For me, it's one of those situations where it would take more time and energy to fix a bad thing than it would to just make something new.

At first glance, heavy magic resembles chardalyn in colloidal phase. I too would take the Netheril:Empire of Magic set with a grain of salt.

The only problem I had with the Netheril set was the stupid re-naming. Such a silly idea.
TBeholder Posted - 20 Sep 2021 : 03:22:22
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

When Nimbral began to interact more with wildspace, the city's mythallar was fitted with something like the helm of the dwarves, but moving at MUCH MUCH MUCH slower speeds such that it could exit the atmosphere (an amazing development for them) by studying old Netherese lore.

A "conventional" series helm would be enough. IIRC arks are fit with these. It would be obscenely expensive... but mythallar allows to implement those as quasimagic items.
Then there could be Netherese prototypes that steered Thayan helm development in such an unusual direction.

quote:

At first glance, heavy magic resembles chardalyn in colloidal phase.

...and "synthetic chardalyn" would obviously be one of top goals on many arcanists' R&D lists, from the day chardalyn was discovered to the day Netheril fell.
Delnyn Posted - 20 Sep 2021 : 00:37:32
quote:

TBeholder Posted - 19 Sep 2021 : 20:00:29
quote:

On the Vohlm's Drain spells and making the lich, as already noted, it was effectively the spell energy drain. This drains levels and therefore life energy, and it is noted as being something that can create undead in earlier editions (not necessarily liches, but this is some overpowered amount).
This drain spell that was altered and in a feedback loop with active mythallar but a few seconds ago. And on heavy magic. Kind of unusual circumstances, and lots of magic involved.

quote:
What I find interesting is that it drains from a mythallar, which MIGHT imply that mythallars (at least some) were drawing power from the positive material plane or somehow using "life energy".

There are Positive/Negative planes, so in this sense lifeforce is "related".
But normally Vohlm's Drain and draining undead were safe to mythallars: outside this little incident there are no caveats or notes on such interaction whatsoever (with or without heavy magic), which would be quite noteworthy.
In this experiment the spell was specifically tweaked to feed into the mythallar. Perhaps acquired greater affinity to its field as a result. And/or the other way around: feeding lifeforce into mythallar changed its field just enough to be drained this way.
Either way, nasty unexpected side effect of tinkering.
sleyvas Posted - 14 Sep 2021 : 16:06:51
quote:

quote:

Oh, that's because I didn't get around to that in my discussion... got sidetracked as usual. The city was originally the Netherese enclave of Doubloon. It was a city known for being able to disappear and escape pursuit. Part of that for me involved the idea that it might be able to submerge itself. The enclave might even regularly delve beneath the ocean, and one of the reasons it may have been lost is because when it "fell" it went beneath the waves. I've since got my history that it was in Halruaa after the fall (so someone found it). It was taken by the Leirans during their exodus to Nimbral. When Nimbral began to interact more with wildspace, the city's mythallar was fitted with something like the helm of the dwarves, but moving at MUCH MUCH MUCH slower speeds such that it could exit the atmosphere (an amazing development for them) by studying old Netherese lore. Eventually though, this group lost contact with Nimbral (i.e. they decided to isolate themselves for some reason that I haven't detailed yet... maybe fallout between political factions or somesuch... maybe a disease broke out... maybe a simple growing rift between generations of those living in space and those living in Nimbral).

Hmm, okay. Not so sure about the rest, but I like this part, and I think I'm going to tweak it some and use it myself.

No problem, glad to see some ideas growing and would love to hear other directions people might take things. I also picture that THIS city having knowledge of glassteel might also be why Nimbral and its pegasi mounted "Knights of the Flying Hunt" has knowledge of glassteel.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Sep 2021 : 15:38:33
quote:

Oh, that's because I didn't get around to that in my discussion... got sidetracked as usual. The city was originally the Netherese enclave of Doubloon. It was a city known for being able to disappear and escape pursuit. Part of that for me involved the idea that it might be able to submerge itself. The enclave might even regularly delve beneath the ocean, and one of the reasons it may have been lost is because when it "fell" it went beneath the waves. I've since got my history that it was in Halruaa after the fall (so someone found it). It was taken by the Leirans during their exodus to Nimbral. When Nimbral began to interact more with wildspace, the city's mythallar was fitted with something like the helm of the dwarves, but moving at MUCH MUCH MUCH slower speeds such that it could exit the atmosphere (an amazing development for them) by studying old Netherese lore. Eventually though, this group lost contact with Nimbral (i.e. they decided to isolate themselves for some reason that I haven't detailed yet... maybe fallout between political factions or somesuch... maybe a disease broke out... maybe a simple growing rift between generations of those living in space and those living in Nimbral).

Hmm, okay. Not so sure about the rest, but I like this part, and I think I'm going to tweak it some and use it myself.
sleyvas Posted - 14 Sep 2021 : 14:51:44
quote:

quote:

quote:

Or, again, just have the caster cast the spell himself and tie it to the mythallar. There's no need for some artificial caster in the mix.

Oh, only reason I was picturing it was the spell was relatively high in level. Then again... actually for Proctiv's Steely Glass (glassteel) the duration wasn't limited, so a one time casting would work.

I'm still not clear on why there's a need for a physical barrier.

One thing that I've been picturing is that its a "flat" enclave made of four layers of metal, with a bowl of water in the middle connecting these four layers. There would also be 16 "towers" connecting the four layers on the outer edges, with glass between them to seal the enclave. The entire enclave would be a mile wide, with the top platform covered in a thick layer of earth (thinking about 100 feet thick). The dome would cover the top, In the middle of the center lake there would be an island, with a castle on it. Surrounding this would be living space, stores, taverns, restaurants, inns, theatres, and seedier places (gambling dens, strip clubs, brothels, slave auctions, etc...). The skies are full of carriages bringing people from one part of the city to others pulled via pegasi (many of which are regular horses, but the carriage gives wings to a horse hooked to it). I am wanting it to be like a small version of Vegas, full of decadence and wealth. This topmost layer might even have illusory scents put into the air that evoke a slight euphoria, or spells that make even the simplest foods "taste" better.

This top area would also contain places for arcane students to live, temples to the gods of magic, a teleportation circle

The three layers beneath the top would be separated by 80 feet each and would be for

2nd layer - living quarters for the servant/mercantile/craftsmen class. This would be simple "inelegant" stone structures, some created magically long ago, some built over time. It would also contain some warehouses. The 16 towers on the outer edge would have "docking" areas where larger spelljamming vessels can transfer their loads to transports on this level to the warehouses. They would also have two gates (airlock) through which ships that can pass through a 30 foot diameter can pass. Larger ships could land on the underside of the city if they needed to stay for an extended period and traverse into the interior of the city via smaller, guarded airlocks as well.

3rd primarily this floor is nothing more than an extremely large tank of water. It doesn't extend all the way to the edges of the enclave, and the surrounding area is made into sections which can be temporarily contained by walls of force if a rupture occurs in the tank until permanent fixes can be enacted. The outer area also contains some pipes which lead to the bottom layer.

4th layer primarily this layer is nothing more than a huge septic tank or compost area. Some sections of the upper city might actually have indoor plumbing, but there would also be places to empty "waste" products. I picture the city as periodically flying somewhere and emptying these products over areas that they might return to later to farm during the age of Netheril. With the city in space, there might be small farming colonies on some of the tears of Selune or they may actually fly to the moon and dump their waste on farms there (I picture this place having involvement with the culture on the moon and not isolated from them). They might even have their own section on the moon that THEY farm and have colonized.

Here's some drawings I've got going so far

Luneira top view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N5G1yHld78OPzYAJSVKgCDAgL_sBSZ0b/view?usp=sharing

Luneira side view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BqOsbgOzi_Syh1BEIfqBaDI_XAB_iORP/view?usp=sharing

Luneira in space
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Am7YX9wV6eqqiV9hg24Tfvk53wlTSOw_/view?usp=sharing

I'd been thinking about this concept for a while, but never actually "built" it. So, for a lark, I decided to try and lay it out and see what I could do with it. One thing I'm trying to get away from is the idea of an urban sprawl of buildings at the top. The idea that its mansions and hotels and similar large buildings (some sections would be like "large" apartments where, for instance, wizard students might each have their own dwelling... picturing like 16 apartments in a building). Some apartment buildings might have higher level wizards who actually cast spells like Mordenkainen's mansion and rent the extradimensional spaces to visitors of the city. The city itself would have a LOT of greenspace so that it can be beautiful, including sections for parks, etc... Horses might be seen grazing areas throughout the city as well (some appearing to be unicorns of varying colors, though its all illusory).... of course with servants to clean their mess up.

I also picture the upper city as having zero roads. There may be some paths that have gravel enough beneath the grass to support a weighted wagon, but most travel in the city is either walking or via flying (pegacoaches, flying brooms, flight spells, magic cloaks and boots, etc....). The more extravagant and impressive looking method, the better. The city is all about the facade... this illusion... the glamour.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Sep 2021 : 02:05:32
quote:

quote:

Or, again, just have the caster cast the spell himself and tie it to the mythallar. There's no need for some artificial caster in the mix.

Oh, only reason I was picturing it was the spell was relatively high in level. Then again... actually for Proctiv's Steely Glass (glassteel) the duration wasn't limited, so a one time casting would work.

I'm still not clear on why there's a need for a physical barrier.
sleyvas Posted - 13 Sep 2021 : 23:44:31
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Sep 2021 : 19:53:36
sleyvas Posted - 13 Sep 2021 : 18:03:55
quote:

quote:

HOWEVER: I must thank you Wooly for the idea of having the mythallar casting the spell INTO the heavy magic. I'm actually thinking it might be interesting if the dome itself is regular glass that it coated with heavy magic on two sides. The bottom side is maybe holding a renewed version of "Proctiv's Steely Glass" (aka Glassteel) that's renewed by the mythallar. I might have other portions of the city using "Aksa's Glassteel" (aka Glassee... a spell that makes wood, stone, steel, or iron transparent like glass).

I wasn't saying anything about the mythallar casting the spell into heavy magic. Mythallars can't cast spells; they're just batteries.

I was saying that there's no need to muck about with heavy magic and constructing a gigantic dome when you could have the same effects with a spell or two tied directly to the mythallar.

True, there would need to be some "entity" activating a quasi-magic item to enact the spells. Said entity could in theory be an intelligent construct or even in theory an intelligent item.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Sep 2021 : 15:34:04
quote:

HOWEVER: I must thank you Wooly for the idea of having the mythallar casting the spell INTO the heavy magic. I'm actually thinking it might be interesting if the dome itself is regular glass that it coated with heavy magic on two sides. The bottom side is maybe holding a renewed version of "Proctiv's Steely Glass" (aka Glassteel) that's renewed by the mythallar. I might have other portions of the city using "Aksa's Glassteel" (aka Glassee... a spell that makes wood, stone, steel, or iron transparent like glass).

I wasn't saying anything about the mythallar casting the spell into heavy magic. Mythallars can't cast spells; they're just batteries.

I was saying that there's no need to muck about with heavy magic and constructing a gigantic dome when you could have the same effects with a spell or two tied directly to the mythallar.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Sep 2021 : 15:27:47
quote:

On the Vohlm's Drain spells and making the lich, as already noted, it was effectively the spell energy drain. This drains levels and therefore life energy, and it is noted as being something that can create undead in earlier editions (not necessarily liches, but this is some overpowered amount). What I find interesting is that it drains from a mythallar, which MIGHT imply that mythallars (at least some) were drawing power from the positive material plane or somehow using "life energy". There have always been hints that the weave is linked to life in the world as well, so arguments can be made for it.

I could see the spell turning Wulgreth into some lesser undead -- but not a lich.
sleyvas Posted - 13 Sep 2021 : 14:23:15
On the Vohlm's Drain spells and making the lich, as already noted, it was effectively the spell energy drain. This drains levels and therefore life energy, and it is noted as being something that can create undead in earlier editions (not necessarily liches, but this is some overpowered amount). What I find interesting is that it drains from a mythallar, which MIGHT imply that mythallars (at least some) were drawing power from the positive material plane or somehow using "life energy". There have always been hints that the weave is linked to life in the world as well, so arguments can be made for it.
sleyvas Posted - 13 Sep 2021 : 13:55:36
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-As presented, I always thought Heavy Magic was stupid. It was represented as 'special' and 'revolutionary' and 'groundbreaking' when you could imbue you could always imbue gems or create spell wards or whatever to do the same thing. I guess, from an in-game perception, Heavy Magic things easier and much more economical and that in and of itself would be groundbreaking from an in-game point of view (using the Dismissal example, yeah, it's much easier and cheaper to lay Heavy Magic imbued with the spell down and let it do it's thing rather than sit there and cast spell after spell after spell or whatever), but I don't know. I always imagined Heavy Magic to be something more and impressive.

Yeah, one thing that I've been thinking about recently (and literally only because I reread the stuff for heavy magic yesterday) is the idea of the enclave of doubloon being able to make itself "cloaked". I started thinking about it and "yeah, you can do a mythal".... but honestly, what if they had like a glassteel dome over the enclave and they painted the dome with heavy magic (a LOT of heavy magic mind you, but once spread thin like paint, it could cover a lot of area). Maybe they have some "lesser" version of heavy magic that can only hold a spell effect for its normal duration (so they paint the dome, and any time they need to go cloaked, they cast a simple invisibility spell into it and it spreads through the whole area of contiguous heavy magic).

Maybe the dome itself isn't even glassteel, maybe its regular glass, and a coating of heavy magic on the outside contains a spell of wall of force (or the old glassteel spell).

Might this be extremely powerful? Yes. Might this be used as something where modern day arcanists are now trying to study HOW this is done and they're having problems following the logic of its making? Sure.

Since we have the topic up, I'd love to hear other uses people may have for the stuff. As I'm thinking about Luneira itself and how it might have used it.... its kind of making me think I may try my own hand at writing some 5e ruleset for the stuff (which makes me realize... this stuff might be consider artifact level, which could be interesting to write up).

I dunno, it seems like it'd be easier to just cast a big invisibility spell, and tie it to the mythallar, rather than build a big dome, enchant it, create the heavy magic, paint the dome, and then throw spells into the heavy magic.

Also, it seems really, really broken to have a spell effect extended over an area hundreds, if not thousands of times larger than the norm, through the application of heavy magic.

Exactly... that being the point, it matches to Karsus' fears. It also shouldn't be able to be recreated AS EASILY any longer due to changes in the weave (though it wasn't necessarily easy during Karsus' time).

Oh, and on the dome, part of my idea was also "this enclave can go underwater, enter gaseous environments that are dangerous, etc..."

I was thinking that perhaps the heavy magic degrades with time, even though I'm picturing it as an artifact. I'm not exactly sure what to do with the concept yet, but playing with the idea.

TBeholder Posted - 11 Sep 2021 : 22:09:06
quote:

It's a clumsy concept, honestly. A cubic foot weighs only a pound, but has the same resistance as a lot of water?
Why not?
quote:

It removes itself from whatever its on but can be painted on surfaces and transfer magical effects to them?

With other spells, probably. It's Netheril.
So the process looks like:
1. Create the initial droplet; it's non-adhesive to anything.
2. Adhesion or equivalent is cast on it; it becomes maximally adhesive to a single other surface, thus splatters over it as wide as possible.
3. Cast the desired spell on "paint", which makes it a persistent contact spell (whether it's permanent mythallars can make less of an issue).
The implied part is that magic adhesion isolates the affected surface, otherwise there would be problems with anything that adversely affects objects.

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

it could be hurled in a catapult.

Not dense enough for half-decent ballistics. So, just drop or mostly-downward throw.

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

I do not know what the Volhm�s drain spell drains, web search only indicates it drains levels, the version Karsus used might have drained items.

It's just Netherese name for Energy Drain.
Karsus tweaked it, his meddling had unforeseen effect of draining his mythallar's field, thus messed up everything it powered, including the enclave's levitation.
But he didn't learn to not mess with the power source keeping him alive, hence the end result.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Sep 2021 : 20:33:15
quote:

quote:
Heavy magic, unlike other forms of magic, was a tangible
force. It was like a sphere of clear honey that didn’t leave any
residue after contact but instead slowly extricated itself from any
object it came in contact with.

Heavy magic by it self does no harm.

Neither does a brick. But like a brick, it has mass and resistance to something trying to move through it.

Even water can kill someone, if they fall into it from high enough.

Dropping 40 pounds of anything on someone's head, from a great height, is going to do more than mess up their hair. Several years ago, someone looked at the traps from the movie Home Alone. That swinging paint can to the face would have likely killed the bad guy -- and that's less weight from a lower altitude.

quote:

As for the rest falling to the ground and making a lich ... that is not explained at all as to how that worked.

Side note the only reference I can find for Madcoil is Elfquest, are there any other possibilities?

Madcoil is from Elfquest, and to me, it is the best example of an absolutely unworkable backstory.

Madcoil's backstory: sometime centuries or even millennia before the time of Cutter, some random elf walking through the woods wants to create a fire. He uses magic, but for some reason, it doesn't do anything. But the magic remained there, in that spot. Centuries or millennia later, a panther and a very large snake are for some reason fighting. The snake is wrapped around the panther. The two of them roll into that exact spot where the fire magic lay dormant -- and then, at exactly the same time, that spot is struck by lightning. The combination of lightning and fire magic somehow fuses the two creatures into one.

As a further bit of convenience, instead of some other possibility like a cat-headed snake with legs sticking out of its back, or some other useless fusion, the new creature is panther in the front -- head, chest, forelegs -- and giant snake from where the hips would be on down.

AND this new creature was somehow more intelligent than either of the original animals.

AND it was actively evil.

AND it somehow got a telepathic ability that neither original animal had.

Visually, Madcoil was a cool-looking critter. And the snake/cat combo is a nifty one. But that backstory...

If a backstory requires one incredible coincidence, you may or may not need to rethink it. If it requires more than one incredible coincidence and still leaves unexplained elements, then you need to go back to the drawing board.

So, Wulgreth just happens to be standing under an enclave, where this heavy magic can hit him, at the same time that Karsus finds the heavy magic not doing what he expected and becoming a big problem. And Wulgreth somehow isn't killed by this mass landing on top of him, but instead, he gets some other effect that is entirely unexplained.

Hence, I find his backstory to be wildly improbable and thus comparable to the high watermark of wildly improbable backstories: Madcoil.
Ayrik Posted - 11 Sep 2021 : 19:23:19
Magic follows its own rules. Especially experimental prototype magic practiced by a spellcaster with near-godlike mastery of the craft.

Little has been written about Heavy Magic. And - aside from the clumsy game rules quoted above - it's always been used as a MacGuffin narrative device instead of as a gaming implement. So you can basically devise whatever special rules you like, as long as they're consistent with the few which have been provided. (Indeed, they don't even have to be consistent so long as you can invent a consistent reason for the inconsistency, lol.)

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Heavy_magic
Kentinal Posted - 11 Sep 2021 : 18:56:00
quote:

As described, it's more versatile than doing spell wards or imbuing spells into gems or other objects -- but it also seems less stable, more volatile, given that it nearly crashed an enclave and then somehow transformed someone into a lich.

Either way, since we weren't given much in terms of concrete, rules-based information, it's really hard to try to adapt it.

(And now that I think about it -- what the smurf? So this mass of heavy magic that Karsus was playing with somehow started leeching off of the available magic in the area. Despite this, he's still able to manipulate it with magic, and chuck it over the side of his enclave. This forty pound blob of material falls thousands of feet and manages to hit some unlucky schmuck who just happened to be standing under an enclave, in exactly the right place to get clobbered by a flying magical blob. This blob of material somehow fails to utterly pulverize this poor guy, and instead, its leeching-magic-from-nearby-sources magic turns the guy into a lich. This is some Madcoil-level horrible origin story stuff, here.)

I first was concerned about Heavy magic causing a drain of magic, however on closer read.

quote:
Heavy magic, unlike other forms of magic, was a tangible
force. It was like a sphere of clear honey that didn’t leave any
residue after contact but instead slowly extricated itself from any
object it came in contact with.

Heavy magic by it self does no harm.

quote:
Karsus discovered that heavy magic could be enchanted with
other spells. He also determined that heavy magic could be
“painted” or “daubed” on any surface (like a wall, door, or mechanism),
and the surface would take on the effect. Karsus found it
very handy to force a bit of heavy magic enhanced with a dispel
magic into a lock, especially when it disabled the use of detect
traps and deactivated a magical lock pick set.

Not sure how often magic would be used on such locks, however in his world maybe most thieves were magic users.

Here is what caused the magic drain

quote:
One cubic foot of heavy magic (weighing one pound) could be
created by an arcanist for each level of experience, so when
Karsus cast the heavy magic spell, he created 41 cubic feet. He
enspelled the thick, gelatinous blob with a Volhm’s drain spell,
which was designed to transfer magical power to the largest
power source within a 2,500-foot radius-and it began sapping the
energies released from the mythallar. The Volhm’s drain spell
both collected and sent the power back to the mythallar, robbing
the enclave of magical power.

I do not know what the Volhm’s drain spell drains, web search only indicates it drains levels, the version Karsus used might have drained items. Thus allowing magic to be used to move the mass of gelatinous blob with magic spell.

As for the rest falling to the ground and making a lich ... that is not explained at all as to how that worked.

Side note the only reference I can find for Madcoil is Elfquest, are there any other possibilities?

Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Sep 2021 : 18:47:38
quote:

quote:

-As presented, I always thought Heavy Magic was stupid. It was represented as 'special' and 'revolutionary' and 'groundbreaking' when you could imbue you could always imbue gems or create spell wards or whatever to do the same thing. I guess, from an in-game perception, Heavy Magic things easier and much more economical and that in and of itself would be groundbreaking from an in-game point of view (using the Dismissal example, yeah, it's much easier and cheaper to lay Heavy Magic imbued with the spell down and let it do it's thing rather than sit there and cast spell after spell after spell or whatever), but I don't know. I always imagined Heavy Magic to be something more and impressive.

Yeah, one thing that I've been thinking about recently (and literally only because I reread the stuff for heavy magic yesterday) is the idea of the enclave of doubloon being able to make itself "cloaked". I started thinking about it and "yeah, you can do a mythal".... but honestly, what if they had like a glassteel dome over the enclave and they painted the dome with heavy magic (a LOT of heavy magic mind you, but once spread thin like paint, it could cover a lot of area). Maybe they have some "lesser" version of heavy magic that can only hold a spell effect for its normal duration (so they paint the dome, and any time they need to go cloaked, they cast a simple invisibility spell into it and it spreads through the whole area of contiguous heavy magic).

Maybe the dome itself isn't even glassteel, maybe its regular glass, and a coating of heavy magic on the outside contains a spell of wall of force (or the old glassteel spell).

Might this be extremely powerful? Yes. Might this be used as something where modern day arcanists are now trying to study HOW this is done and they're having problems following the logic of its making? Sure.

Since we have the topic up, I'd love to hear other uses people may have for the stuff. As I'm thinking about Luneira itself and how it might have used it.... its kind of making me think I may try my own hand at writing some 5e ruleset for the stuff (which makes me realize... this stuff might be consider artifact level, which could be interesting to write up).

I dunno, it seems like it'd be easier to just cast a big invisibility spell, and tie it to the mythallar, rather than build a big dome, enchant it, create the heavy magic, paint the dome, and then throw spells into the heavy magic.

Also, it seems really, really broken to have a spell effect extended over an area hundreds, if not thousands of times larger than the norm, through the application of heavy magic.
sleyvas Posted - 11 Sep 2021 : 18:42:17
quote:

quote:

It's "heavy" compared to "normal" magic which is weightless. So it could be dropped like a bomb (which is basically what way Karsus did from his enclave), it could be poured into a cauldron, it could be hurled in a catapult. It could even displace or replace water.

Imagine if something which is normally massless, normally weightless suddenly had real weight. Like maybe computer data or radio signals? Suddenly your computer would have to be able to lift a website. Suddenly your mobile phone would have to be able to lift a conversation. Even if these things have hardly any weight at all, they would still have infinitely more weight than anything weightless.

It's not just the weight, though -- it's the description of it as being a thick substance with noticeable resistance. Even one cubic foot of cotton is going to weigh a lot more than a pound.

A cubic foot of water is over 8 pounds.

If something is providing the same resistance as water, and is described as being thick, then it has to have substantially more mass than one pound per foot. Either there's something there to provide resistance or there isn't. It can't be both.

(Also, if you drop 40 pounds of something on somebody, from a significant height, there isn't going to be enough left to rise as a lich)

Resistance COULD = Force (and by force, I mean the magical element of force... not the Newtonian physics version of force). There might be some "energy" in regards heavy magic that we can't describe in our "non-magical" physics. Remember, when talking about D&D energies, they don't necessarily work the same way that we would think of them in OUR world. For instance, electricity works differently. In some ways, even fire can be considered to work differently (i.e. magical fireballs in most editions don't fill a specified cubic area... overflowing and moving down hallways and destroying rooms that would be way beyond its normal reach). Sonic damage works differently, in that any sonic damage that could rend flesh to the same degree as a blast of fire would be heard MILES away and almost certainly make people deaf.
sleyvas Posted - 11 Sep 2021 : 18:31:59
quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Sep 2021 : 18:00:34
quote:

As described, it's more versatile than doing spell wards or imbuing spells into gems or other objects -- but it also seems less stable, more volatile, given that it nearly crashed an enclave and then somehow transformed someone into a lich.

Either way, since we weren't given much in terms of concrete, rules-based information, it's really hard to try to adapt it.

(And now that I think about it -- what the smurf? So this mass of heavy magic that Karsus was playing with somehow started leeching off of the available magic in the area. Despite this, he's still able to manipulate it with magic, and chuck it over the side of his enclave. This forty pound blob of material falls thousands of feet and manages to hit some unlucky schmuck who just happened to be standing under an enclave, in exactly the right place to get clobbered by a flying magical blob. This blob of material somehow fails to utterly pulverize this poor guy, and instead, its leeching-magic-from-nearby-sources magic turns the guy into a lich. This is some Madcoil-level horrible origin story stuff, here.)
Lord Karsus Posted - 11 Sep 2021 : 16:07:46
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Sep 2021 : 00:59:52
quote:

It's "heavy" compared to "normal" magic which is weightless. So it could be dropped like a bomb (which is basically what way Karsus did from his enclave), it could be poured into a cauldron, it could be hurled in a catapult. It could even displace or replace water.

Imagine if something which is normally massless, normally weightless suddenly had real weight. Like maybe computer data or radio signals? Suddenly your computer would have to be able to lift a website. Suddenly your mobile phone would have to be able to lift a conversation. Even if these things have hardly any weight at all, they would still have infinitely more weight than anything weightless.

It's not just the weight, though -- it's the description of it as being a thick substance with noticeable resistance. Even one cubic foot of cotton is going to weigh a lot more than a pound.

A cubic foot of water is over 8 pounds.

If something is providing the same resistance as water, and is described as being thick, then it has to have substantially more mass than one pound per foot. Either there's something there to provide resistance or there isn't. It can't be both.

(Also, if you drop 40 pounds of something on somebody, from a significant height, there isn't going to be enough left to rise as a lich)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000