Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Djerad Thymar's famous dragonborns: type/breath?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Portuguese D. Ace Posted - 16 Aug 2021 : 22:53:35
Dear fellow scribes,

I'm trying to include some famous dragonborns (DB for short) in my Djerad Thymar, but I can't find many info on them.

On another scroll I found useful info on who should be Vanquisher in Djerad Thymar (1490ish): Yrjixtilex Kallan (Erin Evans confirmed it)
I read Brimstone Angels years ago, and I can't find which type of dragonborn Kallan is.
The wiki describes it as a dark grey scaled DB, but it does not specify which breath type does he have (dark grey= silver DB? black DB?).

Daardendrien Medrash is described as a russet scales DB, with lightning breath (i assume a bronze DB?)

for:
Verthisathurgiesh Arjhani, I can't find a description.
Kepeshkmolik Uadjit , gray-green scales but no breath.
Kepeshmolik Dumuzi: dark grey scales, lightning breath (blue DB? bronze DB?

Do you have any other useful info on other Djerad Thymar's dragonborns?

Thank you for your help
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zeromaru X Posted - 22 Sep 2021 : 21:50:49
Hey, sleyvas. I don't know if this is much to ask, but can you add an scenery background to the city? Like, the Smoking Mountains in the background and some farms around the city. It would really useful for inspiration purposes.
sleyvas Posted - 15 Sep 2021 : 12:27:11
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Thank you so much for sharing this. You know, I was having problems imagining the interior of the City Bastion. This is really helpful and will aid my campaign so much.

No problem. It's made me figure out that doing a boolean with complex shapes has been my problem in the past. I also wish blender were better at displaying the graphics, but I find that when I start layering things, sometimes if you turn the angle wrong you see through things to what's beneath and things go bad quick. It's why some things I like coloring in blender... and other things its just easier to export the 3d object and paint it in paint3d (microsoft's free 3d paint program). Big cities, unfortunately I'm confined to doing it in blender until I find something better.
Zeromaru X Posted - 15 Sep 2021 : 00:03:53
Thank you so much for sharing this. You know, I was having problems imagining the interior of the City Bastion. This is really helpful and will aid my campaign so much.
sleyvas Posted - 14 Sep 2021 : 21:23:02
quote:

Don't worry. I was just curoius,

Went ahead and boolean'd out the bottom of the pyramid and then stuck in several crossing "stairs" (total of 8) that hit at various points of the pyramid in addition to making the spires taller so that they also interacted with various points. Gave it twelve "floors", each roughly 30 feet tall (so each may actually be two floors). I was going to make some balconies out of cubes and just hollow out the centers, but honestly, not sure if it would make it look any better. Took some screenshots of the general idea.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11ZLQ871Jdq6Xm-4cPUD8hMXfcvOs0ZxA/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EGL0nmkvwFmSsK8KrLez__abp7vtFPj1/view?usp=sharing

Zeromaru X Posted - 14 Sep 2021 : 16:19:49
Don't worry. I was just curoius,
sleyvas Posted - 14 Sep 2021 : 15:49:58
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Oh, good point on the Bridges and stairs on the inside of the pyramid between balconies I'd imagine there may be balconies around the central pillar as well that the outside balconies might attach to making a veritable "web" on the interior of this thing. That could be fun.

Hey, sleyvas. I was wondering if you did worked in that model of Djerad Thymar. Just curiosity, nothing more.

Got sidetracked playing MTG Arena and actually doing another city (you'll see the pictures in another thread... floating enclave in space). I was thinking about this yesterday though as I worked on that city (sometimes I play through the "how" to do things for a while before doing them). I may try to revist it tonight.
Zeromaru X Posted - 14 Sep 2021 : 05:44:55
quote:

Oh, good point on the Bridges and stairs on the inside of the pyramid between balconies I'd imagine there may be balconies around the central pillar as well that the outside balconies might attach to making a veritable "web" on the interior of this thing. That could be fun.

Hey, sleyvas. I was wondering if you did worked in that model of Djerad Thymar. Just curiosity, nothing more.
Zeromaru X Posted - 07 Sep 2021 : 04:41:47
quote:
Originally posted by Portuguese D. Ace

Yuuuup, i bookmarked it weeks ago and it's my go-to guide :D thank you for all the info you put into it.

Glad to help. If you need something, just ask
Portuguese D. Ace Posted - 06 Sep 2021 : 11:50:55
quote:

I made this compilation on dragonborn culture and stuff some time ago. I don't know if you have already read it, but if not, it can be useful:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22750

This is all canon stuff. I have expanded it a lot in my home game, and if you need something of that, just ask.

Yuuuup, i bookmarked it weeks ago and it's my go-to guide :D thank you for all the info you put into it.

quote:

Yeah, they will be invited into that Lance Scout's clan's enclave as honored guests. Have you decided what clan he is from?

And with this, I assume there is no dragonborn among the players.

Correct, no dragonborn. as for the clan, I chose Clethtinthtiallor. Kinda minor clan, devoted to farming and horsebreeding... I liked it because there are no major players in it.
quote:

This is an excellent idea. And yes, I guess Medrash and Balasar would have the status of living legends, and would be the first option for many in cases of dragon attacks.

it's a hook. i'm not sure they want to meet again that dragon. i purposefully went over-the-top with the CR. but if they want to... i'm sure they'll love a hand.

quote:

Mmmm... yesn't? I mean, it's only been 5 years since the dragonborn actively began to live with humans who are also considered "Vayemniri" (before that, they may have accepted a minority of tieflings, as citizens, but they were not Vayemniri). I guess that while things may be more open now, there will be still a big number of traditionalists with narrow-minded actitudes. I mean, the Platinum Cadre won many battles for Tymanther during the Dragon War, but 8 years later they were still treated with prejudice.

On the other hand, yes, I guess that there will be more open acts of inclusion in the streets. Maybe a bigger number of chaorkarthels open to non-dragonborn, as well as Mulani humans in charges of authority, more tieflings in visible roles, and places where members of the Platinum Cadre can gather without fear of being attacked on the streets (and such attacks being considered crimes and actually properly deal by the Adjudicators).

Yeah, you're right. 5 years are not enough to change radical views. thank you for the feedback.

quote:

Well, I don't think they may credit Fari for what she did. Not properly, anyways. Perhaps, like the next generation or so, but not yet. The traditions of the Vayemniri are hard coded, and they only have been forced to open-mindness recently (5 years ago). Dragonborn can be as stubborn as dwarves (they actually get along with dwarves because of their commitment to traditions and stuff).

That said, in my game the common dragonborn call the copper coins "toads" (obsploaks), that is a derogatory term for dragons in Tymantheran culture (per Whisper of Venom); and gold coins "Tyrants" (darasaks), that is another way to say "dragon" in Tymantheran draconic. Never made up a nickname for silver coins, so "devil's daughters" (urkotharvraaks) would be fitting.

Also, turtles (tsaparijaks) would be a good name for platinum coins. I mean, "I have gonna use the turtle" is like saying "I have gonna use the $100 bill"

The Elders should know the role she had in everything. Kallan does.
Maybe it could be an underground nickname given by the youth (Dumuzi's equals in age).

Anyway, yeah, it's settled: the Platinum is going to be THE TURTLE. :d
Zeromaru X Posted - 06 Sep 2021 : 04:48:29
Oh, yeah, Dragonborn are a legacy of 4e, but they have been changed to better suit the 5e-ism. Now they are just faux half-dragons but weak, instead of the unique species they were in 4e.

And yeah, I know Tymanther is still around, but I really doubt they will touch it. And I don't think I want they touch it. They will inject it with a lot of D&Dism that will remove the unique elements Tymanther has.
Gyor Posted - 06 Sep 2021 : 02:14:39
quote:

I don't think they are touching Tymanther (the place is way too 4e-ish for they to expand upon), but I do agree that they are going to expand the dragonborn lore. Especifically, I think they are going to outright change stuff (you know, the canon thing: they are not beholden by older canon anymore).

My hope is that the changes will be not as shitty as what they did to the Raven Queen in MToF...

Tymanther is still around in 5, but with less territory. and Dragonborn themselves are 4eish.
Zeromaru X Posted - 05 Sep 2021 : 17:53:16
I don't think they are touching Tymanther (the place is way too 4e-ish for they to expand upon), but I do agree that they are going to expand the dragonborn lore. Especifically, I think they are going to outright change stuff (you know, the canon thing: they are not beholden by older canon anymore).

My hope is that the changes will be not as shitty as what they did to the Raven Queen in MToF...
Gyor Posted - 05 Sep 2021 : 10:40:03
I think that Fizban's Treasury of Dragons might have new Lore on Tymanther and Dragomborn in general, including introducing 3 new races of Dragonborn, Chromatic Dragonborn, MetallicDragonborn,and Gem Dragonborn which are the weirdest as instead of the Elemental breath weapons of Metallic, Regular, and Chromatic Dragonborn, they have all the other kinds like psychic, radiant, necrotic, thunder, and one other, I forget what it is. So their breath is more psionic and spiritual then elemental compared to other Dragonborn.
Zeromaru X Posted - 03 Sep 2021 : 18:59:03
I made this compilation on dragonborn culture and stuff some time ago. I don't know if you have already read it, but if not, it can be useful:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22750

This is all canon stuff. I have expanded it a lot in my home game, and if you need something of that, just ask.

quote:

I thought about this as well. My party accidentally saved a Lance Scout that was sent into Unther in an espionage mission. he was the sole survivor, and the fact that he's coming back could be crucial.
therefore they'd be welcomed in the City Bastion.

Yeah, they will be invited into that Lance Scout's clan's enclave as honored guests. Have you decided what clan he is from?

And with this, I assume there is no dragonborn among the players.

quote:

Moreover, they just survived an encounter with an unknown brown dragon in the Black Ash Plains: that's why I was eager to introduce a proper dragon hunter as Medrash.
The dragon killed a lot of people in my party's caravan (they're a travelling circus), so they might want revenge and I'm willing to give them a proper hand.

This is an excellent idea. And yes, I guess Medrash and Balasar would have the status of living legends, and would be the first option for many in cases of dragon attacks.

quote:

This is super interesting, i forgot about their inability to hold alcohols. I feel the changes of the last few years, with the insitution of the human clan, could have changed their habits a bit, even pushed some "racist" views away. Vayemnri are very honorable, i feel the help from Namshita's people could have spurred them to be more inclusive.

Mmmm... yesn't? I mean, it's only been 5 years since the dragonborn actively began to live with humans who are also considered "Vayemniri" (before that, they may have accepted a minority of tieflings, as citizens, but they were not Vayemniri). I guess that while things may be more open now, there will be still a big number of traditionalists with narrow-minded actitudes. I mean, the Platinum Cadre won many battles for Tymanther during the Dragon War, but 8 years later they were still treated with prejudice.

On the other hand, yes, I guess that there will be more open acts of inclusion in the streets. Maybe a bigger number of chaorkarthels open to non-dragonborn, as well as Mulani humans in charges of authority, more tieflings in visible roles, and places where members of the Platinum Cadre can gather without fear of being attacked on the streets (and such attacks being considered crimes and actually properly deal by the Adjudicators).

quote:

Super useful, thanks! I didn't think about coinage at all, in this instance. I think i will give them some war-related nicknames, to underline a war-like economy/propaganda. I really want the gold coins to be like a "Turtle", to honour Vivesh Nannari, and maybe a silver could be a "Devil's Daughter", or something like that, to recognize the role that Fari had in the battle of DT (and considering the alloy you suggested... it could also be a cool wink to her heterochromia).

Well, I don't think they may credit Fari for what she did. Not properly, anyways. Perhaps, like the next generation or so, but not yet. The traditions of the Vayemniri are hard coded, and they only have been forced to open-mindness recently (5 years ago). Dragonborn can be as stubborn as dwarves (they actually get along with dwarves because of their commitment to traditions and stuff).

That said, in my game the common dragonborn call the copper coins "toads" (obsploaks), that is a derogatory term for dragons in Tymantheran culture (per Whisper of Venom); and gold coins "Tyrants" (darasaks), that is another way to say "dragon" in Tymantheran draconic. Never made up a nickname for silver coins, so "devil's daughters" (urkotharvraaks) would be fitting.

Also, turtles (tsaparijaks) would be a good name for platinum coins. I mean, "I have gonna use the turtle" is like saying "I have gonna use the $100 bill"
Portuguese D. Ace Posted - 03 Sep 2021 : 09:11:42
quote:

The boastful one would be his best friend, Balasar, who helped Medrash during the battle with the dragons, and also got merit and fame.

Noted, thank you!

quote:

About the Wall, I guess is up to us to deal with it. Depending on your game, Unther may be still a threat to the Vayemniri, and they may have decided to leave the wall just in case.

I think this is the case: the war with Unther is still going strong.

quote:

As for any other help, let me see. Were the players invited to Djerad Thymar by an individual dragonborn? Or on behalf of a clan? Are they going on their own? Your answer will determine if they stay in the Market Floor or if they go up into the City-Bastion.

I thought about this as well. My party accidentally saved a Lance Scout that was sent into Unther in an espionage mission. he was the sole survivor, and the fact that he's coming back could be crucial.
therefore they'd be welcomed in the City Bastion.
Moreover, they just survived an encounter with an unknown brown dragon in the Black Ash Plains: that's why I was eager to introduce a proper dragon hunter as Medrash.
The dragon killed a lot of people in my party's caravan (they're a travelling circus), so they might want revenge and I'm willing to give them a proper hand.

quote:

EDIT:
Something to take into account is that not all chaorkarthels accept non-dragonborn clientele. I guess there may be a racist element there, but there is also one of necessity. Canonically, dragonborn can't hold strong liquors, so chaorkarthels sells either watered-down spirits or spiced tea (actually, chaorkarthel literally means "Tea house"). Watered-down drinks will not be well received by humans and demihumans (specially dwarves, lol), while the spices are way too strong for humans and demihumans. So, only a few chaorkarthels do sell stuff more to the tastes of non-dragonborn. A few even have inn-services and stuff. Guess, these commodities will be a bit expensive compared to dragonborn-only services, given the extra effort (perhaps 5% - 10% pricier than the standard prices for such thing).

This is super interesting, i forgot about their inability to hold alcohols. I feel the changes of the last few years, with the insitution of the human clan, could have changed their habits a bit, even pushed some "racist" views away. Vayemnri are very honorable, i feel the help from Namshita's people could have spurred them to be more inclusive.

quote:

Talking about money, while tymantherans do use the common coins of other lands, they also have their own currency. While this is mentioned in the novels, the actual tymantheran coins are never named, so we don't have canon info about them. In my campaign, I use the following (hope it will be of help to you):

quote:

Originally, Tymanther had no coinage system. Having originated from an enslaved nation, bartering was the main method of trade, and is still in use in the farming villages of the more traditionalist clans, located far away from the cities. The dragonborn adopted the coinage system of the surviving Untheri when they began to trade with other countries, and eventually developed their own currency. Copper "rashaks" (based on the Chessentan bits) are roughly equivalent in value to 2 coppers from other lands, silvers are called "ornaks", gold coins are known as "auraks" and platinum coins are called "uxaks". All coins are made of "pure" metal (gold coins, for instance, are made with a silver alloy, but the coin is over nine-tenths gold) and a standard size to hold their value in other places. The tymantherans also use trade bars, called "thanodaks", made of electrum for durability.

Edit 2:
I don't use electrum pieces in my games, but if you use them, that coin would be called "nodak", and would be a bit rare in Tymanther. Perhaps a new coin made to trade with Waterdeep or something.

Super useful, thanks! I didn't think about coinage at all, in this instance. I think i will give them some war-related nicknames, to underline a war-like economy/propaganda. I really want the gold coins to be like a "Turtle", to honour Vivesh Nannari, and maybe a silver could be a "Devil's Daughter", or something like that, to recognize the role that Fari had in the battle of DT (and considering the alloy you suggested... it could also be a cool wink to her heterochromia).
Zeromaru X Posted - 02 Sep 2021 : 16:39:47
The boastful one would be his best friend, Balasar, who helped Medrash during the battle with the dragons, and also got merit and fame.

About the Wall, I guess is up to us to deal with it. Depending on your game, Unther may be still a threat to the Vayemniri, and they may have decided to leave the wall just in case.

As for any other help, let me see. Were the players invited to Djerad Thymar by an individual dragonborn? Or on behalf of a clan? Are they going on their own? Your answer will determine if they stay in the Market Floor or if they go up into the City-Bastion.

EDIT:
Something to take into account is that not all chaorkarthels accept non-dragonborn clientele. I guess there may be a racist element there, but there is also one of necessity. Canonically, dragonborn can't hold strong liquors, so chaorkarthels sells either watered-down spirits or spiced tea (actually, chaorkarthel literally means "Tea house"). Watered-down drinks will not be well received by humans and demihumans (specially dwarves, lol), while the spices are way too strong for humans and demihumans. So, only a few chaorkarthels do sell stuff more to the tastes of non-dragonborn. A few even have inn-services and stuff. Guess, these commodities will be a bit expensive compared to dragonborn-only services, given the extra effort (perhaps 5% - 10% pricier than the standard prices for such thing).

Talking about money, while tymantherans do use the common coins of other lands, they also have their own currency. While this is mentioned in the novels, the actual tymantheran coins are never named, so we don't have canon info about them. In my campaign, I use the following (hope it will be of help to you):

quote:

Originally, Tymanther had no coinage system. Having originated from an enslaved nation, bartering was the main method of trade, and is still in use in the farming villages of the more traditionalist clans, located far away from the cities. The dragonborn adopted the coinage system of the surviving Untheri when they began to trade with other countries, and eventually developed their own currency. Copper "rashaks" (based on the Chessentan bits) are roughly equivalent in value to 2 coppers from other lands, silvers are called "ornaks", gold coins are known as "auraks" and platinum coins are called "uxaks". All coins are made of "pure" metal (gold coins, for instance, are made with a silver alloy, but the coin is over nine-tenths gold) and a standard size to hold their value in other places. The tymantherans also use trade bars, called "thanodaks", made of electrum for durability.

Edit 2:
I don't use electrum pieces in my games, but if you use them, that coin would be called "nodak", and would be a bit rare in Tymanther. Perhaps a new coin made to trade with Waterdeep or something.
Portuguese D. Ace Posted - 02 Sep 2021 : 10:16:56
We're set in 1492 so he would be in his 30s. I imagined him as a boastful dragonborn (since being a dragon-killer is not an everyday task), but since you said he's very composite, I'll realign with your description (and I'll try to make time to read the Brotherhood!).

I've read everything in the wiki, and I plan on a second read before next session. Any kind of additional info is very welcome!

EDIT:

Question time! Did the wall erected with the Breath of Petron during the final battle endure the later years?
The book says that Geshthax isn't dead, and that Tam Zawad could heal him.
Narhanna says that if Geshthax is healed, the Breath would take back the wall.
Mira suggests that Tam could heal him back after the battle.

Then we know nothing about the wall (aside that two entrances for gates are created with it, one that faces the mountains, one that faces the sea).

Is it still there? or did Tam heal Geshthax and the wall is gone?

In my opinion, a Shestandeliath would never ask for his life back, if it meant that the protection erected with the Breath would be gone.
All thing considered, Unther and Tymanther ar still at war. it would make no sense for Geshthax or Narhanna to ask for a cure, right?
Zeromaru X Posted - 01 Sep 2021 : 17:32:05
Well, it depends in what year you're playing. In the novels he was still considered "young and idealist" (early to mid-twenties by the time of Ashes of the Tyrant/The Devil You Know). That said, he is a very mature person, calm, composite, very honorable and dedicated. He can be a bit of a worrywart and a little narrow-minded, however. He is also very dedicated to his gods (he started as a worshiper of Torm, but by the end of The Spectral Blaze, he was also a worshiper of Bahamut). If you're playing in the 1490s, he will be in his early thirties, and I guess he should have grown up and perhaps he will be more open to new ideas, as this was happening by the end of The Spectral Blaze.

Now that we have revived this topic, I wonder if @sleyvas has advanced in his design of Djerad Thymar.

EDIT: Grammar

As for Djerad Thymar, I guess you could read its entry on the wiki? I tried to be as completist as the available info allowed me. If you need more info on something, like a "chaokarthel" (taverns) or NPCs or shops, just ask
Portuguese D. Ace Posted - 01 Sep 2021 : 14:35:33
Sorry for the late reply. it's been a rough week.

Sleyvas, Zero, thank you for the enormous help.
I hoped you had a drawing because the description of DT is so peculiar that I imagined someone would have tried to draw it.

Nontheless, Sleyvas, thank you so much. I checked this scroll in the middle of our last session and your creation in blender became the ceneterpiece of this week's cliffhanger.

Zero, thank you for your help and all the info.
My players are going to enter DT this week and i feel they can stay there for a while. if, perchance, you had any other source of information to suggest, that would be great.

Also, since sadly i didn't have the time to read the brotherhood of the griffon during the last week, could any of you tell me which kind of character/personality does Medrash have?

Thank you for your help!
sleyvas Posted - 24 Aug 2021 : 16:58:06
Zeromaru X Posted - 24 Aug 2021 : 15:47:24
quote:

On the changes, I want to thank you, because you confirmed something I was wondering about, which is why I was wondering if there was a map.

There is no map, official or fanon (that I'm aware of). This is why I think that it's a shame WotC cancelled the article about Tymanther they had planed for Dragon Magazine...

quote:
Since you just made it more fun... I'm gonna think on the next steps and produce something in a day or two. I may clean up the pillars too and use actual doors, etc...

Well, there are balconies and there are plazas and atriums (these two seem to be on the pillars), and all is connected by bridges, catwalks and stairs. The balconies are big enough to serve as the clan enclaves, although IIRC only the wealthiest clans have their enclaves in the City-Bastion (I guess the less fortunate clans have the live in the Market Floor or in the populated tunnels of the Catacombs). The novels describe the City-Bastions as "not for those who are afraid of heights". The Vanquisher and the Lance Barracks/Roost are located at the top of the pyramid, but inside of it (however, the Lance Barracks also extends to the outside part of the top of the pyramid).

I hope this can help.

quote:
By the way, adding text of any kind to the city is easy as pie, so if there's any other types of "statements" that you might see them putting on the city.... any kinds of symbols on the pyramids (a sun, a moon, stars, a dragon head, etc...)... name it off and I'll see what I can do. Sometimes its more about seeing what you can learn by trying something than it is about the actual task you're given. I may not be able to accomplish the task, but it's still something to play with, and may improve the outcome.

IIRC, the symbiology is inside the enclaves. I don't remember anything in the outside side of the pyramid. But I'll think on something.
sleyvas Posted - 24 Aug 2021 : 13:54:20
quote:

First, I must have to apologize, because I'm going to make a change again, xDD I had forgotten that the Tymantheran dialect of Draconic changes some hard consonants into nasal and elongated consonants. Meaning, a tymantheran dragonborn will say "arivayemniriocharthel" instead of "arivayemniriokarthel". In a nutshell, you may have to change the "k" for a "ch" if you want to have it "closer to [old] canon",

(Yeah, besides helping me to improve my English, D&D also helped me to learn some useless stuff, like D&D Draconic )

So, to make the work not as pointless, here is the translation of the other phrase to Tymantheran (I could decipher it once I sat on the PC):

"Dragons do not enter upon risk of death" should be "Darastrish thrikviraka loreatkorthloreat" (Darastrish is Tymantheran for Classic Draconic "Darastrix"). This can be translated as "Dragons (or Tyrants; Tymantheran uses the same word for both terms) are not welcome under risk of death". That the verb "to die" (loreat) is repeated twice means that there is a emphasis: the vayemniri are serious about this warning.

Also, seeing the second picture, I may have forgotten to mention that the City-Bastion (the pyramid) is hollow, with atriums and plazas rising from the granite base all the way to the ceiling (as described in The Captive Flame). I guess you may have to color part of the "inferior" side of the pyramid with black to represent this, but I don't know how hard would be to do that, however.

quote:
You will probably need a computer with about 16 gigs or more of ram though.

Stuff like this makes me realize the implications of living in a third world country. My PC is considered "very good" by the standards of my country, but I still lack 10 gigas of ram to use that program...

A lot of people still don't have 16 gigs of ram (my wife and daughter have 6 and 8), so don't feel bad. I just work in IT and I work on graphics for fun, so I'm always keeping a decent system (my current laptop that I just got has 32 gigs of ram, and it was only $900 which surprised the hell out of me).

On the changes, I want to thank you, because you confirmed something I was wondering about, which is why I was wondering if there was a map. I thought it might be hollow, but the description in the campaign guide and player's guide were both "unclear".... as in it could be both ways. That of course makes some of these pillars even taller, and that could make for an interesting build to make. It actually shouldn't be too hard as I can play with boolean'ing out the middle of the pyramid by simply copying it and making a smaller version (since I think I've finally figured that out, at least when not converting meshes of text that I try to boolean). I can then make "balconies" out of cubes that I then remove the centers from. I could then have flyers on the inside of the pyramid.

Since you just made it more fun... I'm gonna think on the next steps and produce something in a day or two. I may clean up the pillars too and use actual doors, etc...

By the way, adding text of any kind to the city is easy as pie, so if there's any other types of "statements" that you might see them putting on the city.... any kinds of symbols on the pyramids (a sun, a moon, stars, a dragon head, etc...)... name it off and I'll see what I can do. Sometimes its more about seeing what you can learn by trying something than it is about the actual task you're given. I may not be able to accomplish the task, but it's still something to play with, and may improve the outcome.
Zeromaru X Posted - 23 Aug 2021 : 19:16:26
First, I must have to apologize, because I'm going to make a change again, xDD I had forgotten that the Tymantheran dialect of Draconic changes some hard consonants into nasal and elongated consonants. Meaning, a tymantheran dragonborn will say "arivayemniriocharthel" instead of "arivayemniriokarthel". In a nutshell, you may have to change the "k" for a "ch" if you want to have it "closer to [old] canon",

(Yeah, besides helping me to improve my English, D&D also helped me to learn some useless stuff, like D&D Draconic )

So, to make the work not as pointless, here is the translation of the other phrase to Tymantheran (I could decipher it once I sat on the PC):

"Dragons do not enter upon risk of death" should be "Darastrish thrikviraka loreatkorthloreat" (Darastrish is Tymantheran for Classic Draconic "Darastrix"). This can be translated as "Dragons (or Tyrants; Tymantheran uses the same word for both terms) are not welcome under risk of death". That the verb "to die" (loreat) is repeated twice means that there is a emphasis: the vayemniri are serious about this warning.

Also, seeing the second picture, I may have forgotten to mention that the City-Bastion (the pyramid) is hollow, with atriums and plazas rising from the granite base all the way to the ceiling (as described in The Captive Flame). I guess you may have to color part of the "inferior" side of the pyramid with black to represent this, but I don't know how hard would be to do that, however.

quote:
You will probably need a computer with about 16 gigs or more of ram though.

Stuff like this makes me realize the implications of living in a third world country. My PC is considered "very good" by the standards of my country, but I still lack 10 gigas of ram to use that program...
sleyvas Posted - 23 Aug 2021 : 13:35:42
quote:

Well, I don't know how to use that program, so if I decide to use those images, they will be used as you shared them. I do like to use them if I ever finish my Guide to Tymanther,

Anyways, I can't read the text around the Lance Roost's door, but reading the text near the "base" of the City-Bastion, did you wrote that in English with the Iokharic font, right? This is my approximation to Tymantheran Draconic (all words are from old canonic sources):

"Thaluvaerostymanchebar, arivayemniriokarthel"

Thaluvaeros can be translated as "long live", but will be more accurately translated as "live in my memories". So, "Long Live Tymanchebar" or "Live in my memories, Tymanchebar", are valid translations.

Arivayemniriokarthel is literally "home of the vayemniri".

Well, that's easy enough to change, and yes, that was in English. I tell you what, just in case you do EVER want to play with this, I'm going to put this up on thingiverse, because in this rare instance.... except for the mounted dragonborn adds that I put in place, I created everything myself from scratch. I will go ahead and make the above text changes, grab a shot of it with that, then put it on thingiverse. Then I'll reply back with that link.

As far as the program I use, its blender. Its free, just google blender install. You will probably need a computer with about 16 gigs or more of ram though. You can just load the .blend file. Just to note, if you for instance, just wanted to grab a single pillar with its base and stick it on a cube and then import a dragonborn from some other STL that I or someone else made on thingiverse, and put that on a regular old cube for "ground", you can export that as an STL file, and you can load that into microsoft's paint3d (another free program) and EASILY paint the objects for a picture. I actually do this for fun sometimes to relax while watching something on TV, and I've also had "competitions" against my stepdaughter for who can paint the better version of something (she enjoyed it a couple years ago, but she's entering teen years and is getting moody). Not to push you to do it, just I never realized how fun it was until someone encouraged me to try.

EDIT: Well, needed to check the file size. Its too big to upload on thingiverse. So, I just grabbed a few extra pictures. See below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yzOIvjXSi2vxa-8JmlVgETrpaACeMXD_/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12BxDuoKQjIjYq83NcOBtK2mmD4boERuE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zQ4s-gVt_dSedwIKPHScfbHB2FiOBGtC/view?usp=sharing

Zeromaru X Posted - 23 Aug 2021 : 03:05:03
Well, I don't know how to use that program, so if I decide to use those images, they will be used as you shared them. I do like to use them if I ever finish my Guide to Tymanther,

Anyways, I can't read the text around the Lance Roost's door, but reading the text near the "base" of the City-Bastion, did you wrote that in English with the Iokharic font, right? This is my approximation to Tymantheran Draconic (all words are from old canonic sources):

"Thaluvaerostymanchebar, arivayemniriokarthel"

Thaluvaeros can be translated as "long live", but will be more accurately translated as "live in my memories". So, "Long Live Tymanchebar" or "Live in my memories, Tymanchebar", are valid translations.

Arivayemniriokarthel is literally "home of the vayemniri".
sleyvas Posted - 22 Aug 2021 : 17:11:24
Hmm, booleans work much better for me in the new blender. Added a circular bit of text around the hexagon up top, and some Iokharic text in a straight line on the pyramid (one says something like "Dragons enter Upon Risk of Death" and the other something like "Live Live Tymanchebar, Home of the Vayemniri"). Then, because I remembered I had made some lance defenders at one point, I copied on in and did some quick coloring, and then made 5 or 6 copies and showed them flying around. In the program, the further out that you go, the more blurry it is, so got a couple far away and a couple closer shots. If you do use them in something, let me know just because I'd like to see it, but you're more than welcome to play with, modify, and or use any drawing I've made.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nW8lwed79y7W0zepk2sn4I8RGyWasDJx/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14PD6EuKxBq__A-cMX5UoQCiORZkS4-iu/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16-LamEez-eoaG5TzywHLVDrkIuy9MCbc/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qu8J4Lt1gwy-JEbLmoVYi8NP5nzAcA_q/view?usp=sharing

Oh, and the "arrowslits" in the base.... they may as well be places where catapults, cannons, ballistae, boiling oil, acid etc... are based on the size, with maybe the ability to rapidly close them with rock seals if necessary. The real arrowslits you wouldn't see.
sleyvas Posted - 22 Aug 2021 : 03:28:25
kind of basic, but I put in the hexagon, and then I lessened its width and turned it "black" to look like there's darkness inside. Actually the boolean went very smoothly. I guess I'm finally starting to get the hang of some of the slightly more advanced things.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rlTmy_lZZAUyZ7uJabMclvNu9eUco35i/view?usp=sharing

With that going as well as it did... I may actually play around with doing booleans with all those "arrow slots" sometime tomorrow just for the hell of it. See what I can make it look like. If it actually looks good, I'll post another and may try to dress it up. Might try making some symbology using iokharic text as well, but won't spend too much more time on it.

Zeromaru X Posted - 21 Aug 2021 : 23:50:54
Yeah, it was just a big hexagonal window in one side of the pyramid, near the Lance Roost where the bats live. This means near the summit of the pyramid.
sleyvas Posted - 21 Aug 2021 : 22:12:07
quote:

I believed the black stuff were some decorations, lol. Also, I guess you forgot to add the great hexagonal window in the pyramid, used by the bat riders to leave and enter the pyramid.

I assume the window is on the same side the first ramp is, as in the novels the window can seen from the same side you see the ramp. And the window is big enough to be seen from afar.

hmmm, let me see if I can add that in 3d... booleans can be a pain, but that might not be too bad. So, just a big hexagonal opening in the side of the pyramid?
Zeromaru X Posted - 21 Aug 2021 : 16:47:15
I believed the black stuff were some decorations, lol. Also, I guess you forgot to add the great hexagonal window in the pyramid, used by the bat riders to leave and enter the pyramid.

I assume the window is on the same side the first ramp is, as in the novels the window can seen from the same side you see the ramp. And the window is big enough to be seen from afar.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000