Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 All that is Ruathym

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Razz Posted - 31 Aug 2021 : 04:06:18
So I'm starting a campaign for my kids, and I'm having them begin on Ruathym (and eventually have them sail out west and explore more of Faerun and beyond).

I'm trying to collect every bit of lore I can find on Ruathym. So if the sages here have a collection of that, that'd be great.

Also, a few questions:

1) So those two islands north and south of Ruathym are Axard and Nerth, correct? Axard I know is inhabited by Raulothim, the paranoid emerald dragon. Nerth is inhabited by dwarves, but what do we know about them being there and their relations to everyone else?

2) I have read about the people and, so far, believe there are 4 tribes (which united to deal with Luskan under Aumark Ithyl) but no mention of the tribe names other than Holgerstead. So what are the names of the other 3?

3) I assume this map is fanmade? It's the only Ruathym map I found that actually has some real detail on it instead of what D&D has ever offered.

https://i.redd.it/cu2lta6lmbb61.jpg
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Oct 2021 : 23:29:57
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The formatting is done via Homebrewery which is HTML/CSS and not easily translatable to standard word processing products.

-- George Krashos

Hmmm, I still would have figured a font is a font. Still, its definitely not a word processor. If it's going to mess with this kind of stuff so much that you can't text search the PDF's made, I'd recommend even the free OpenOffice to make the PDF (it's what I use for home stuff instead of MS Office). That being said, I'm not real concerned with trying to make my stuff "look" like 5e. I use my own font styles, etc... for whatever I want.

If it's HTML, then it may not have been a font thing, but instead some Unicode thing.
sleyvas Posted - 16 Oct 2021 : 18:08:33
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The formatting is done via Homebrewery which is HTML/CSS and not easily translatable to standard word processing products.

-- George Krashos

Hmmm, I still would have figured a font is a font. Still, its definitely not a word processor. If it's going to mess with this kind of stuff so much that you can't text search the PDF's made, I'd recommend even the free OpenOffice to make the PDF (it's what I use for home stuff instead of MS Office). That being said, I'm not real concerned with trying to make my stuff "look" like 5e. I use my own font styles, etc... for whatever I want.
George Krashos Posted - 16 Oct 2021 : 00:53:44

-- George Krashos
sleyvas Posted - 15 Oct 2021 : 01:27:35
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Another reference is the Green Tower of Thulnath. (See FOR8 - Pages from the Mages, page 113.)

It lies on an island south and west of Ruathym. More from me about this place someday.

So this (see italics).... so, can we hope for more information on the covenant? I'd love to see that. I personally like the idea that Aganazzar's body was hidden away by him via contingency that worked, but that something where he went prevented him surviving.

The Tome is the creation of the four most powerful (of their time) mages of the North, who formed the Covenant, an alliance (basically neutral good) founded to enforce a peace between warring tribal kingdoms, and to build the collective power and prosperity of the Northlands against the coming confrontation with the orcs and their kin. The Covenant has long been inactive: Grimwald and Presper disappeared on a journey of exploration into other worlds than this; Agannazar is believed to have perished in the destruction of the School of Wizardry at Neverwinter by the Red Wizards of Thay; and Ilyykur is known to have sacrificed himself in the Green Tower of Thulnath to destroy the arch-lich Ruelve.
ericlboyd Posted - 14 Oct 2021 : 19:10:07
Another reference is the Green Tower of Thulnath. (See FOR8 - Pages from the Mages, page 113.)

It lies on an island south and west of Ruathym. More from me about this place someday.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Oct 2021 : 19:57:17
quote:

The info I posted in the thread is from FR5 - The Savage Frontier, page 38.

And the formatting is a question for George. It looks great, but I agree the cut-and-paste is weird.

--Eric

Copying and pasting from a pdf can be weird. I tend to copy from a pdf to Notepad, then from Notepad to wherever I'm sharing the info -- it removes most of that funky formatting.
sleyvas Posted - 05 Oct 2021 : 16:18:01
quote:

And the formatting is a question for George. It looks great, but I agree the cut-and-paste is weird.

--Eric

Understood. It reminds me of some stuff I've seen with TSR's old docs, but that was usually with ' and " entries only.

I'm still noting very interesting coincidences of dark pits and the presence of old portals that might be elven (or taken over by elves) that empty in various places of the realms... especially ones that empty in areas of the Shaar and the Unapproachable East.
ericlboyd Posted - 05 Oct 2021 : 14:41:32

--Eric
sleyvas Posted - 05 Oct 2021 : 13:56:40
quote:

First page, bottom right. I'm not sure search works properly.

quote:
... where is this in that Miyeritar product? I just searched on inthar, hell, and rethgaard and never found it.

Wooly is right in that you put more info here, unless there's more somewhere else in the document.... but at the same time, you are also right about the search function not working.... I think I see why too, but I don't get it... not to detract the conversation here, but I'm curious about HOW the hell this happens????? Check out the below, I noted it when I cut and paste from the PDF to a notepad

From #1048663;here #1048663;he same #1048665;ariable portal co#1048664;ld be #1048664;sed #1048663;o #1048663;ra#1048665;el on#1048666;ards #1048663;o an isola#1048663;ed sea crag kno#1048666;n as Torin#1048663;har (Modern: small island off #1048663;he eas#1048663;ern coas#1048663; of R#1048664;a#1048663;h#1048668;m called #1048756;In#1048663;har#1048757; b#1048668; some). The jo#1048664;rne#1048668; #1048663;hen req#1048664;ired a shor#1048663; sea #1048665;o#1048668;age #1048663;o a #1048663;hird si#1048663;e on #1048663;he eas#1048663;ern shore of #1048663;he isle of Calamhael (Modern: R#1048664;a#1048663;h#1048668;m) kno#1048666;n as Q#1048668;rin#1048663;har (also called #1048756;In#1048663;har#1048757; b#1048668; some), from #1048666;hence #1048663;he #1048663;ra#1048665;eler co#1048664;ld #1048768;nall#1048668;
reach Ascarle #1048665;ia a #1048663;hird portal.

I'm not even sure if this will show up right when I hit post new reply, but like a quarter of this text is showing up as ? entries. It doesn't even make sense, as at first I thought it was always the letter t, but there are some t's that work (like the one in THE is messed up but the one in PORTAL shows up). Same thing happens with u, v, w, y..... it's like its the end of the alphabet that's randomly showing up wrong.

So, that said, let me ask... what program do you use to make your PDF's? What font were you using?

BTW, just noting, elven portal network and dark pit to some evil plane at the same spot again.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Oct 2021 : 03:00:55
quote:

quote:
... where is this in that Miyeritar product? I just searched on inthar, hell, and rethgaard and never found it.

I found mention of the places, myself, but it seems the information you shared here is more expansive than what's in the product.
ericlboyd Posted - 05 Oct 2021 : 00:05:45

quote:

sleyvas Posted - 04 Oct 2021 : 21:48:20
quote:

Torinthar
=========
A ruined fortress sits atop a rocky crag some 35 miles south of Rethgaard. Eerie green lights shine here at night, silhouetting shadowy shapes as faint whispers float across the waters. It is said that a hidden shaft leads straight down to Hell. None know its origin, but sailors of all lands avoid this rock.

I see ye be inserting more of the "pits" like the one in Narathmault, Athamault, and the pit of Maleficence....

That being said, where is this in that Miyeritar product? I just searched on inthar, hell, and rethgaard and never found it.
ericlboyd Posted - 04 Oct 2021 : 17:29:55
One problem is the location of Inthar, which is not shown on this fan-made map.

"Tangled Webs" indicates that Inthar is on the island of Ruathym, while the map in FR5 - The Savage Frontier suggests it on an island 35 miles east.

George and I solved this for my campaign by splitting them into two linked locations. See Havens of Miyeritar.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/348991/Havens-of-Miyeritar

Torinthar
=========
A ruined fortress sits atop a rocky crag some 35 miles south of Rethgaard. Eerie green lights shine here at night, silhouetting shadowy shapes as faint whispers float across the waters. It is said that a hidden shaft leads straight down to Hell. None know its origin, but sailors of all lands avoid this rock.

Qyrinthar
=========
This fortress sits on on the eastern shore of Ruathym. This is the location that was home to the drow banshee.
sleyvas Posted - 31 Aug 2021 : 16:47:38
regarding the dwarves of Ruathym, check out the stories of the madbeard dwarves.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Madbeards

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Haunghdannar

and I'm realizing you were interested in this earlier this year as well, so putting a link to that information

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23881

Also, you may want to look at this thread... just thinking there might be something or other in it that you might want.

http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22994

Brimstone Posted - 31 Aug 2021 : 12:00:30
I like that map.
HighOne Posted - 31 Aug 2021 : 05:25:48
A large portion of Tangled Webs by Elaine Cunningham is set on Ruathym. Definitely worth reading, if you are so inclined. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to any of your questions.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000