Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Forgotten Realms Comics bundle

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TheIriaeban Posted - 30 Apr 2021 : 17:38:23
Humble is offering an IDW publishing Dungeons and Dragons comic bundle that seems to have everything they published including FR, Dragonlance, and Eberron.

My question is for those of you that have them: were they good enough to pick up? I would guess that they are also canon?

Here is the link:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/new-and-classic-dnd-idw-books?hmb_source=&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_1_layout_index_1_layout_type_threes_tile_index_3_c_newandclassicdnd_bookbundle

Mod Edit: Found this floating in the ethers and moved it.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zeromaru X Posted - 01 May 2021 : 19:13:47
Yeah, I recommend them. Their plot is... ok and the characters are... well, I couldn't connect with most of them, but the lore tidbits are worth the read. The Ghost Holds is a good addition to the lore. The usage of direhelms means the King of Ghost may be part of the Eminence of Araunt.

As for Dark Sun, well... is that is big, but if you don't mind spoilers there are magic tree seeds in Ianto's Tomb and a way to restore the nature in Athas is hinted at, as well..
keftiu Posted - 01 May 2021 : 07:30:37
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I have Dungeons & Dragons: Vol.1-3 (Shadowplague, First Encounters and Down), Dungeons & Dragons: Forgotten Realms Vol.1, and Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Sun Vol. 1 - Ianto's Tomb. They were the comics that were published during the 4e era, and so I got them back then. Both the Forgotten Realms and Dark Sun comics are ok. The FR one has some interesting ideas, such as the Ghost Holds, while the one of Dark Sun was... weird, but it plans a very good scenerio on how to recover the world of Athas.

However, the one of note is the Dungeons & Dragons: Vol.1-3, that is regarded as one of the best D&D comics ever, and was one of the best comics during the 2010-2012. While it's not set in the Realms (is set in the Nentir Vale), I really recommend it.

Are those Realms and DS ones worth a read? I’m curious what tasty lore tidbits are hiding in there (and can you spoil the DS thing you teased)?
Zeromaru X Posted - 01 May 2021 : 02:57:29
The Forgotten Realms vol.1 from 2011 is set in the 4e Realms (1479-1480 DR)
TheIriaeban Posted - 01 May 2021 : 02:07:15
Thanks, Wooly. I dug around some more and the older comics have been dated (1357-1358). The newer ones don't have a date as far as I can tell.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 May 2021 : 02:03:59
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

I picked these up. I see that the ForgottenvRealms Vol. 1 was actually written by Ed.

I looked on the FR wiki to see WHEN these adventures took place and the entry didn't say. Anyone know of a list somewhere that has about what year these adventures happened?

The DC/TSR titles started not long before the Time of Troubles, and the ToT was a big thing in them.
TheIriaeban Posted - 01 May 2021 : 01:56:56
I picked these up. I see that the ForgottenvRealms Vol. 1 was actually written by Ed.

I looked on the FR wiki to see WHEN these adventures took place and the entry didn't say. Anyone know of a list somewhere that has about what year these adventures happened?
Zeromaru X Posted - 01 May 2021 : 01:25:42
I have Dungeons & Dragons: Vol.1-3 (Shadowplague, First Encounters and Down), Dungeons & Dragons: Forgotten Realms Vol.1, and Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Sun Vol. 1 - Ianto's Tomb. They were the comics that were published during the 4e era, and so I got them back then. Both the Forgotten Realms and Dark Sun comics are ok. The FR one has some interesting ideas, such as the Ghost Holds, while the one of Dark Sun was... weird, but it plans a very good scenerio on how to recover the world of Athas.

However, the one of note is the Dungeons & Dragons: Vol.1-3, that is regarded as one of the best D&D comics ever, and was one of the best comics during the 2010-2012. While it's not set in the Realms (is set in the Nentir Vale), I really recommend it.
TheIriaeban Posted - 30 Apr 2021 : 19:03:07
Thanks, Wooly. I know you had mentioned the comics before so I figured you would have some information about it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Apr 2021 : 18:40:15
I can only speak on three of the titles, myself: Dungeons & Dragons Classics, Dungeons & Dragons Classics: Forgotten Realms, and Dragonlance Classics.

Those three titles were originally published by DC/TSR (along with a Spelljammer comic and a couple issues of an Avatar one).

Dragonlance was kind of hit or miss. There were some good stories, but it bounced around alot -- dealing with different characters and at least once a different time frame -- before it settled into a groove. There were two characters, initially, that it kept bouncing around between, before they settled on one -- and I preferred the other!

Dungeons & Dragons Classics was originally called Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, and Dungeons & Dragons Classics: Forgotten Realms was originally called Forgotten Realms. I really enjoyed both titles. There were a couple weaker stories here and there, but overall, I quite liked them. They were canon, as well, and several of the characters and events have been mentioned in other Realms material.

Sadly, the endings of a couple of the DC/TSR titles were rather abrupt; I don't know the story of why, but I suspect TSR shenanigans led to the licenses not getting renewed. Spelljammer (not in this bundle) ended right when I felt the story was really getting interesting. The others had finished their existing story arcs (usually, four issues per story arc), and then there was no more.

I forgot about this Humble Bundle; I'll be getting it for those titles alone.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000