Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Bruenor as King

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
George Krashos Posted - 06 Feb 2021 : 05:11:25
In the dramatis personae in Relentless, Bruenor Battlehammer is described as the thirteenth king of Mithral Hall, as well as the eighth and tenth. On my reading of the novels, when he came back as Reginald Roundshield and then declared himself to be Bruenor reborn, he never claimed the throne of Mithral Hall again - deferring to King Connerad. He does become the third king of Gauntlgrym but why is he described as the thirteenth king of Mithral Hall in Relentless?

-- George Krashos
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
George Krashos Posted - 06 Mar 2021 : 00:12:30
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Hi George,

Bruenor didn't become the 13th king of Mithral Hall. In the novel The Companions, he had intended to do so in order to fight the orcs, but the dwarven throne in Gauntlgrym rejected him because he intended to break his oath to meet with the other Companions of the Hall in Icewind Dale. After he was booted from the throne, he changed course and headed north to Drizzt and company.

Bruenor Battlehammer - 8th and 10th King of Mithral Hall.
Banak Brawnanvil - 11th King of Mithral Hall.
Connerad Brawnanvil - 12th King of Mithral Hall.
Dagnabbet Waybeard - 13th, Queen of Mithral Hall.

This is what I have for the line. Dagnabbet becomes Queen in Archmage.

Yes, that's exactly as I have it in my "Mithral Hall" lineage. I haven't bought the last trilogy of Drizzt novels so I was wondering if they were the cause of the reference.

-- George Krashos
Eilserus Posted - 05 Mar 2021 : 22:29:40
I forgot to add, my copy of Relentless lists Bruenor only as the 8th and 10th King of Mithral Hall.

Eilserus Posted - 05 Mar 2021 : 22:11:22
Hi George,

Bruenor didn't become the 13th king of Mithral Hall. In the novel The Companions, he had intended to do so in order to fight the orcs, but the dwarven throne in Gauntlgrym rejected him because he intended to break his oath to meet with the other Companions of the Hall in Icewind Dale. After he was booted from the throne, he changed course and headed north to Drizzt and company.

Bruenor Battlehammer - 8th and 10th King of Mithral Hall.
Banak Brawnanvil - 11th King of Mithral Hall.
Connerad Brawnanvil - 12th King of Mithral Hall.
Dagnabbet Waybeard - 13th, Queen of Mithral Hall.

This is what I have for the line. Dagnabbet becomes Queen in Archmage.

PattPlays Posted - 18 Feb 2021 : 09:28:00
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

What makes him psychotic?

lack of dwarven females.

He has 2 dwarven wives...... twins I believe ..... that’ll drive ya crazy

Do you think they live with him in Gauntylgrym after 1487DR? Bruenor is chillin there in the rage of demons storyline but no lore on him is provided in that module.
The Red Walker Posted - 18 Feb 2021 : 03:27:45
quote:

quote:

lack of dwarven females.

He has 2 dwarven wives...... twins I believe ..... that’ll drive ya crazy
PattPlays Posted - 10 Feb 2021 : 02:39:00
quote:

quote:

lack of dwarven females.

So.. a lack of an author writing about dwarven females then.
sleyvas Posted - 10 Feb 2021 : 00:23:26
quote:

lack of dwarven females.
Dalor Darden Posted - 09 Feb 2021 : 23:23:31
sleyvas Posted - 09 Feb 2021 : 19:06:14
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Not read the novel (cant seem to get past the 3rd cadderley novel), but it could be a vacuous claim based on nothing more than he sees himself as the 13th king.

Look at Gilgeam of Unther who had many titles he had awarded to himself that claimed rulership over many far flung places.

My reading of Bruenor is that he is not a nice person and quite possibly psychotic so it's quite in keeping for his version of reality to be different to everyone elses (though he might kill any that disagree openly with him). Thus he claims the 13th king of Mithril hall as a title but nobody else does.

Just a thought, but situations like that were not unknown in real life for a ruler to have a title that implied sovereignty over a land that he did not in fact own.

Bruenor has psychological issues related to power, trust, and standing. Good to know for if I ever have to run him during my Rage of Demons games.

So.... Bruenor is your typical dwarf then
PattPlays Posted - 09 Feb 2021 : 09:49:23
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Not read the novel (cant seem to get past the 3rd cadderley novel), but it could be a vacuous claim based on nothing more than he sees himself as the 13th king.

Look at Gilgeam of Unther who had many titles he had awarded to himself that claimed rulership over many far flung places.

My reading of Bruenor is that he is not a nice person and quite possibly psychotic so it's quite in keeping for his version of reality to be different to everyone elses (though he might kill any that disagree openly with him). Thus he claims the 13th king of Mithril hall as a title but nobody else does.

Just a thought, but situations like that were not unknown in real life for a ruler to have a title that implied sovereignty over a land that he did not in fact own.

Bruenor has psychological issues related to power, trust, and standing. Good to know for if I ever have to run him during my Rage of Demons games.
George Krashos Posted - 06 Feb 2021 : 16:58:16
I've asked R A Salvatore on Twitter if he can shed some light on it. Hoping for a response.

-- George Krashos
Gary Dallison Posted - 06 Feb 2021 : 09:10:06

Kentinal Posted - 06 Feb 2021 : 07:25:44
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Bruenor_Battlehammer offers this
quote:
Bruenor Battlehammer was the eighth, tenth, and thirteenth king of Mithral Hall from 1356 DR to 1362 DR and 1370 DR to 1409 DR.

He left, came back, then came back again it appears.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000