Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Lineage for the Duchy of Cortryn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TheIriaeban Posted - 14 Jan 2021 : 01:45:33
I haven't been able to find anything anywhere. Was the lineage of the Dukes listed anywhere in canon? Have any of their names been mentioned (besides Bevedaur)?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TheIriaeban Posted - 12 Feb 2021 : 23:29:17
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

The Ring of Eyes first appeared in Dragon #206, page 76.

Meiritin first appeared in Dragon #228, page 33.

I can't remember where Cortryn first appeared in print, but it was a one-liner in an Ed Greenwood article.

However, you may wish to read Grand History of the Realms, page 89, to learn the name of the founding family of Cortryn and its founder: Duke Kadar el Aktorral.

--Eric

Thank you very much, sir! That gives me just what I needed to give Iriaebor its very own Blair House (http://www.blairhouse.org). In Iriaebor's case, it will be known as The Court of the Countess. I can do a sidebar with its history.
ericlboyd Posted - 12 Feb 2021 : 20:25:49
The Ring of Eyes first appeared in Dragon #206, page 76.

Meiritin first appeared in Dragon #228, page 33.

I can't remember where Cortryn first appeared in print, but it was a one-liner in an Ed Greenwood article.

However, you may wish to read Grand History of the Realms, page 89, to learn the name of the founding family of Cortryn and its founder: Duke Kadar el Aktorral.

--Eric
George Krashos Posted - 17 Jan 2021 : 09:46:14
Yes, that part was always there. Steven rarely got edited to add something. It was always to chop stuff out because he wrote loooooong.

-- George Krashos
TheIriaeban Posted - 16 Jan 2021 : 21:45:41
Thank you, George. Your feedback is always much appreciated. Since you have Steven's original notes, do you think the highlighted from the LOI (Book Two: Amn page 21) was added by an editor:

"Cortryn is founded by Tethyrian and Calishite immigrants and a powerful noble family of Calimshan to restore the Shoon Empire's lost glory. Cortryn absorbs and consolidates the bulk of the former realms of Valashar and Meiritin while extending its northern border up through the Troll Mountains. Eshpurta is founded as Cortryn#146;s northernmost city and fishing center."

That is the relevant entire entry for 491 DR on that page and would seem to indicate that they were admirers of Shoon. Also, their enslavement of the hin of Meritin would seem to also be an extension of the Shoon Empire's not so nice treatment of "indigenous populations". In some circles, the Ring of Eyes may have actually been viewed as the good guys for taking out the Duke of Cortryn.
George Krashos Posted - 16 Jan 2021 : 21:16:11
It only lasted from 491 DR to 731 DR, so not the most notable of places. I've checked Steven Schend's LOI notes and there is nothing more than what has been published. So you have free rein to make up whatever you need. For what it's worth, I would have the family drop the Calimshan naming nomenclature when it assumes rule of Cortryn. Just like the Perry family did when it moved to Tethyr. This is especially so given their rule commences after the fall fo the Shoon. No one liked the Shoon.

-- George Krashos
TheIriaeban Posted - 14 Jan 2021 : 19:00:13
Since no one has said I have missed something in my research, Eric/George, do either of you have anything unofficial you can tell me? Specifically, what I am looking for is the naming scheme for the royal family of Cortryn. The official sources have it that the country was founded by a "noble family from Calimshan". Since Calimshan has a specific naming convention (xxxx yn xxxx el xxxx), I would think that the royal family of Cortryn would keep something similar. My idea is that, to differentiate themselves from their relations in Calimshan, they shortened it to just xxx el Cortryn (that may or may not be the family name with me leaning towards that it is not). That would make the canon named Bevedaur into Duke Bevedaur el Cortryn.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000