Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dlardrageth Elven Thinblade

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 07 Jan 2021 : 03:40:54
Dlardrageth Elfblade

Visual and 3D object here
Dlardrageth elfblade (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4713011) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
Despite its name, the Dlardrageth Elfblade is not one of the famed Elfblades of Cormanthyr, nor is it one of the famed Moonblades. This weapon was created using Elven High magic however, approximately two millenia ago by Barivest Dlardrageth, a former apprentice of Saelethil Dlardrageth who had been chased down and imprisoned by moon elves in spell combat. He was released by a dark elven priestess of Kiaransalee who was tricked into doing it by Sephira, his demonic lilitu mother. The dark elf had been led to believe that she was freeing a dark elven necromancer. Barivest enslaved the priestess mind with his magic, using her to catch him up on the changes of the past four millenia. He also used her to buy elven slaves from the dark elves of Maerimydra so that he could start a new family, fathering twelve children over the next forty years on three different mothers. Meanwhile he tried to find information on where the elves of Arcorar had imprisoned his the rest of the house Dlardrageth.

The Dlardrageth Elfblade is a magical elven thinblade with a mithril blade that's intertwined with a sculpture. This darksteel sculpture of a cathlyre, an underdark bird similar in some ways to a peacock, was commissioned by Barivest to a drow sculptor with a clan ironstar dwarf capture for the express purpose of making the special meteoric metal. The darksteel allows the weapon to redirect electrical attacks by its wielder, and is rumored to confer other powers over electricity as well. The hilt is wrapped in black dragon hide wrapped with gold, and the pommel and crossguard are decorated with emeralds and rubies. The hilt is decorated with an enameled metal heraldic symbol in the form of a dracophoenix wielding a flaming whip in its mouth, the symbol of House Dlardrageth.

Barivest created this weapon for his eldest son, and its believed that the weapon is imbued with a captured intelligence which will resist use by anyone not sharing Dlardrageth blood. After several centuries, Barivest and his family were discovered by the elves of Cormanthyr. Barivest and his family set themselves to flee, but his eldest son fell defending their retreat and the sword was lost. Its rumored that the family fled to Katashaka, but where exactly they are now, noone knows.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 09 Jan 2021 : 00:16:11
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I loved Arcane hierophant btw too.

It's probably the only time I wouldn't find a way to ditch the Familiar, combining both Animal Companion and Familiar stats together is pretty cool. Also wearing armor is cool

Yep, I loved that running around with like a dire bear companion and wearing like duskwood armor with a shield. Plus, when you finished all 10 levels of this class, it was easy as pie to go into mystic theurge and continue leveling both druid and wizard. At level 20 you're 17wiz/17druid caster

I also liked doing the fochlucan lyrist thing, which in the end your caster levels were less, but you got some other niceties like evasion, minor sneaking abilities, bardic knowledge, etc.. It was just a PITA spending the bard level when I wanted to build wizard instead.
Diffan Posted - 08 Jan 2021 : 22:26:33
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

It's probably the only time I wouldn't find a way to ditch the Familiar, combining both Animal Companion and Familiar stats together is pretty cool. Also wearing armor is cool
sleyvas Posted - 07 Jan 2021 : 22:50:35
Diffan Posted - 07 Jan 2021 : 21:25:24
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I guess that's why I didn't know what it was. Some kewl thing from a Races of Whatever book... I ignored most of those; it has been my opinion that Realms-specific books have had more than enough different options and that importing some generic niche thing wasn't needed.

Well that's how they made/make their money lol. Some people love that sort of mechanical license of "official" capacity in their games *shrugs*. I have the Races of... Books because a lot of the lore and aspects of their culture is in the books, along with ways to create names for these races and their relationship with other races too. Sure some of the mechanics are cool to have, and I do like the Elven Courtblade (1d10, Finesse, 18-20/x2 crit) so I think that's a slightly better investment for a feat. Also, the Prestige Classes Arcane Hierophant (mixing Druid/Wizard) and Champion of Corellon Larethian (pseudo-elven knight/paladin) are pretty fun concepts.

quote:

I'm far more interested in sleyvas's description and history of the weapon, which was a really great read and something I'd definitely add to my own Realmslore should such a character or place crop up.

Agreed!
[/quote]

More lore is always welcome
sleyvas Posted - 07 Jan 2021 : 19:10:11
Yeah, like Difan said, its essentially just a "longer, very thin flexible rapier that's just well made". I think it was even said in the description that it was like a free racial weapon to elves.... might be wrong. Mechanically, no, it wouldn't be worth a feat.

I more or less was just making the dlardrageth house symbol in 2d and 3d, just because I've learned so much more on using paint.net and blender than I had a long time ago... and I wanted to see if I could make the symbol because I tried like 5 years ago and it came out really bad. So, then I said "well, I'll put it on a weapon". It didn't look as good, so I found a peafowl 3d object, and I got an image in my head and just thought... let's see if I can make it and does it look modestly ok or entirely stupid. With a longer blade (thus thinblade) it makes sense that "near the hilt" may not be used, and essentially the peafowl sculpture is kind of there to add stability near the base so it doesn't snap. Ironically, the angle I had to turn the sword to to get a screenshot doesn't really show how long the blade is compared to the hilt. But it was a fun couple hours, and then I came up with a descripion.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Jan 2021 : 18:40:13
quote:

quote:

I've never really understood what a "thinblade" is.

Thematically or mechanically speaking?

Mechanically, as an exotic weapon, it's one of the few 1d8 weapons that can be used with Weapon Finesse and has a larger critical hit ranged (18-20) than your standard longsword. Still, you must use Strength as the base for your damage with the weapon. There are both RAW and other 3PP options that can swap out Str for Dex in this regard.

Thematically, from it's description in Races of the Wild it's a longer bladed version of the rapier with excellent - near masterwork - craftsmanship (I say near because it's 100gp vs. 300gp for masterwork).

Personal take: It's a bad weapon, mechanically speaking. It certainly isn't worth a precious feat for approx. 1 extra damage on average than you'd find with a normal Rapier OR with a Longsword and taking other ways of making that "light". But I always make any weapon with the race in it's name a 'Martial' weapon for those races. Thus an "Elven Thinblade" is accessible to any elf character who has proficiency with all martial weapons (such as from a class like Fighter or Warblade).

I guess that's why I didn't know what it was. Some kewl thing from a Races of Whatever book... I ignored most of those; it has been my opinion that Realms-specific books have had more than enough different options and that importing some generic niche thing wasn't needed.

quote:

I'm far more interested in sleyvas's description and history of the weapon, which was a really great read and something I'd definitely add to my own Realmslore should such a character or place crop up.

Agreed!
Diffan Posted - 07 Jan 2021 : 16:33:07
quote:

Thematically or mechanically speaking?

Mechanically, as an exotic weapon, it's one of the few 1d8 weapons that can be used with Weapon Finesse and has a larger critical hit ranged (18-20) than your standard longsword. Still, you must use Strength as the base for your damage with the weapon. There are both RAW and other 3PP options that can swap out Str for Dex in this regard.

Thematically, from it's description in Races of the Wild it's a longer bladed version of the rapier with excellent - near masterwork - craftsmanship (I say near because it's 100gp vs. 300gp for masterwork).

Personal take: It's a bad weapon, mechanically speaking. It certainly isn't worth a precious feat for approx. 1 extra damage on average than you'd find with a normal Rapier OR with a Longsword and taking other ways of making that "light". But I always make any weapon with the race in it's name a 'Martial' weapon for those races. Thus an "Elven Thinblade" is accessible to any elf character who has proficiency with all martial weapons (such as from a class like Fighter or Warblade).

Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Jan 2021 : 04:08:08

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000