Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Motto - Better Phrasing?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 02 Jan 2021 : 15:03:55
Was thinking about how a lot of times a simple motto, easy to remember, can have more impact than clearly written but long guidelines for many people. Saying it in a certain way can have a very different impact on people as well. Something like "Happy Holidays" versus "Merry Christmas" for instance in our own society... while having good initial intentions... has turned into a different meaning for some people. I don't want to delve into real world ramifications deeper than that, but it occurred to me that in my "United Tharchs of Toril" concept, I could see Lauzoril wanting to come up with a motto that helps unite people (for those unfamiliar with my United Tharchs of Toril idea, in short, its that there's several small tharchs spread throughout Anchorome, Lopango, northern and Eastern Katashaka, the Tears, and near Peleverai in the Shaar and they were all in Abeir for the last century, and so they've just come back to Toril).

So, my thoughts were that the government style of the United Tharchs is different. Each Tharch has representatives from each school of magic, with a Zulkirate ruling over everyone drawn from this pool of representatives. However, each tharch is also separate and the Zulkirate can't come in and make rulings unless there is a threat to the union. Thus, tharchions have more influence on their tharchs and they're elected locally, not by the zulkirate. Also, there's "lesser schools" for some optional types of spellcasters like those who are combine magic and steel, or magic and espionage, or sorcerers, or magic and crafting, etc... who get a slightly lesser vote in local politics. There's also local schools of magic, and wizards are encourage to consider their school mates before those of other tharchs even if the others study similar magics.

That longwinded diatribe said, what I was thinking about was a motto that would say "Put yourself and your goals first, your tharchs second, your university third, and the United Tharchs of Toril fourth".

What I came up with was

"Heart - Tharch - School - Union"
"Heart - Tharch - University - Union"
"Heart - Tharch - College - Zulkirate"
"Heart - Tharch - Academy - Council"

I could obviously mix up some of the words. What sounds best, and is there something that might sound better?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 03 Jan 2021 : 16:53:44
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
That longwinded diatribe said, what I was thinking about was a motto that would say "Put yourself and your goals first, your tharchs second, your university third, and the United Tharchs of Toril fourth".

Thayans will always be Thayans. Pretentious bastards. Your motto needs more bombast:

"Our Strength Is Ourself"
"From One Comes Many"
"The Strength of One Is The Strength of All"
"When One Is Forged All Are Tempered"
"Many Traditions, One Ambition"
"Myself, My Tharch, My Birthright"

In other tharchs Maybe... and I may steal those. The one big thing about my tharchs idea is that, essentially, most of these tharchs are more a kind of blend of halruaa (less paranoid) and Thay (yes, we know what we're doing and we should guide your lives, because we know what's best). These guys are the refugees of Thay however who found themselves in a whole new world (literally) for the last century, their children have been busy actually accomplishing stuff (building cities, pushing the frontier forward, learning about other people's magics, and yes, actually accepting other people's cultures into their own, etc...).

In fact,
"The Strength of One Is The Strength of All" fits my Tharch of the Western Pridelands

"From One Comes Many" fits Tharch of Lopango... though I may want something about breeding in there... something about "making" perfection through eugenics

"Many Traditions, One Ambition" fits the Tharch of New Eltabbar

Writing the below more for myself, but figured people MAY enjoy reading it
My general concept for each Tharch in some quick terms is

Tharch of Balduran Bay (started there and actually moved to some islands) - This group is very accomodating of other cultures, having refugees from other places of Toril in their own communities, and they try to rule them with a light hand.

Tharch of Esh Alakar (NW anchorome.. 2 moderate cities and part of a large dungeon) - these folks would be the researchers faction more than anything, with some study of blending technology and magic.

Tharch of Lopango - These guys "went native". They incorporated 4 native cultures (Azuposi, Kolan, Natican, and Maztican) and started breeding with them. They also started capturing drow females to try and make sorcerous children. They also started capturing jungle orcs who possessed sorcerous talent and started breeding them to the natives to see if they could make more half-orc sorcerers, and started breeding with those. The male red wizards here started making harems. Most other tharchs look at Lopango with disgust, but it has a LOT of sorcerers as a result of
its practices. They also dress like the native populations, adopted their religions, eat their foods, etc... Since both the Kolan and Natican populations were focused on gods related to fire, their cultures kind of mesh well. After a generation, the female wizards of this tharch decided they'd go form another colony, and they formed the tharch of the western pridelands with their rashemi and metahel compatriots.

Tharch of the Western Pridelands - started off as female Mulan Purists with Rashemi and Metahel. Ended up mixing with those cultures after a generation. Family is everything here. This tharch values personal honor, combat skills, magical capability and tactics, etc... After 2 generations, those who were still purists went off to found another tharch (the tharch of New Eltabbar)

Tharch of New Eltabbar - started off as Mulan purists, but in order to get things done it incorporated aid from all tharchs. However, many of those who didn't adhere to the old ways of purism... they seem to die rather mysteriously. This tharch was guided to being built by Zulkir Yaphyll, and she is both its tharchion and the zulkir of divination for this tharch (there are "aulkirs" for all the other schools here on its local council).

Tharch of Peleveran - made up of refugees from southeastern Faerun who migrated to the Shaar after the transfer. The "clone-awakened-by-an-avatar-of-Velsharoon-in-Abeir" Zulkir Lauzoril and his two daughters, Mimuay (necromancer) and Nyasia(bard), sit on the council for the tharch over different groups, and they are in alliance with the clone of Dmitra Flass who awoke after Dmitra died on Toril. Dmitra became the Tharchion, and for a few decades, was married to Lauzoril and loved his daughters. She also had children with him. Their marriage eventually fizzled, but they agreed "to be friends for the betterment of the tharch". Other leaders in this tharch are some Crintri "princesses" who rule over some refugees from Dambrath. This tharch has benefited for a century of being ruled by leaders that mostly haven't changed AND who actually consider it their job to protect the people. The school "Tavai Academy" was built by Lauzoril and Dmitra, and 5 generations of their offspring help run it and the local government (there is some antagonism between the great grandchildren whose bloodline goes back to Lauzoril and his first wife versus those great grandchildren whose bloodline goes back to Lauzoril and Dmitra which has arisen over time).

Tharch of the Wizard's reach - A newly formed Tharch with the return to Toril which incorporates the return of the city of Laothkund from Abeir (and the leaders there who were on the council for the tharch of Peleveran despite being far flung) with the leaders of the renegade red wizards who have been on Toril this last century in Escalant. These two groups have much different outlooks, but they're also being headed by the return of Zulkir "Lauzoril who faced Szass Tam and jumped off a cliff but didn't die" and Zulkir Lallara Mediocros (both of whom were trapped in Szass Tam's demiplane which he created to harness the power of the athora that he failed at doing.... and freed by the return of Mystra during the second sundering). This Lauzoril and the OTHER Lauzoril actually agreed to be friendly to each other, but their lives have been vastly different (one spent the last century plotting against Tam and the other spent the last century building a family and a new civilization). The "returned" Dmitra Flass has taken up relations with "her ex", as she views the "new" Lauzoril as a second chance to "do things right", and as a result she's quite willing to provide resources from her tharch to this fledgling tharch to resist Szass Tam (whereas the other Lauzoril and his family are more concerned with simple protecting their people). This conflict of interest may eventually see Dmitra in some hot water, but people are trying to play nice for now.

Tharch of Luneira - Isolationist tharch to a degree amongst the Tears of Selune on an old netherese flying enclave that's invisible and has spelljammers. Unbeknownst to many, many of the inhabitants of the moon also went to Abeir this past century, and they've been in friendly relations with them. Access to the Tharch is generally only to red wizards of some standing, and many come here aboard quads that have windowless rooms to conceal exactly how to get there. The secret is not impossible to find out, but it is relatively well kept, if only "to keep the riff raff out". Headed by Zulkir Mythrell'aa (who faked her death in the civil war) as its tharchion and on its council as Zulkir of Illusion. This tharch is a trade center and "vacation getaway" with theatres, art, dancers, singers, etc... celebrated. Gambling is common. Magical clothing is the rage. Its Vegas on Toril with magic by a woman fascinated with illusion. Illusory pegacorns pull carriages across the sky, while rental griffins, drakes, etc... can be hired "to arrive in style" for those who want to appear edgy. "What happens in Luneira, stays in Luneira" would be an apt description of the place. Meanwhile, while Mythrell'aa is putting forth this "face" of fun, she's plotting behind the scenes, making power moves through minions, and with the return to Toril.... she has set her eyes not on Faerun, but on Kara-Tur, as a place where she may be able to infiltrate and sow mischief in order to reap profits and secrets. However, she needs to get a lay of the land as it exists now that a century has passed, and that requires spies and time.
AJA Posted - 03 Jan 2021 : 00:48:15
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Thayans will always be Thayans. Pretentious bastards. Your motto needs more bombast:

"Our Strength Is Ourself"
"From One Comes Many"
"The Strength of One Is The Strength of All"
"When One Is Forged All Are Tempered"
"Many Traditions, One Ambition"
"Myself, My Tharch, My Birthright"

TheIriaeban Posted - 02 Jan 2021 : 17:09:18
If you want to go for some alliteration, you could use:

Heart Hearth Discipline Directors

Edit: since this motto would have been around for a while, I translated that into old english (to represent Thorass) and came up with:

heorte heorŝ witancrĉft ealdor
sleyvas Posted - 02 Jan 2021 : 16:37:17
Home... thank you, that's much better

Heart - Home rolls off the tongue

By the way, OTHER tharchs may develop something similar. The reason why Heart resonates so much for me with HIM as the developer of the concept is he's an enchanter, so it seems a phrase apt to him in particular. I do think other tharchs might use Head and Honor and Duty though, as some other tharchs may be more focused on intellect, bravery, or actually selflessness (some tharchs may not put self before tharch, etc...). Some may choose family before tharch though... Hmmm, Hearth as an option.

Thanks, you have my head spinning with ideas now.
Kentinal Posted - 02 Jan 2021 : 15:24:24
Self Home School Union

Just a thought, each Tharch is where the Home loyalty goes to. If one changed full time residence to another Tharch, one likely would change support (Not always of course).

As for Self, could be maybe One, Head, Duty, Honor instead of Heart. The reason Heart bothers me is sometimes Heart means love, in might be loyal to another.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000