Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Under Developed Regions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Arcanamach Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 06:59:26
Greetings. So, I'm curious as to what regions everyone would like to see some development on. For purposes of this poll, I'm keeping the choices to those areas that have had minimal to no development (so the Sword Coast, the North, Cormyr, the Dalelands, etc. are not included). What I consider minimal development doesn't necessarily mean there hasn't been a book including the region, but if said supplement has been practically the only work on it, then I consider it minimal. Here goes:
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Returnip Posted - 15 Dec 2020 : 07:20:03
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Returnip
So don't worry about your stuff. If you say "people with axes, roundshields and longships" I'm sold.

That's one of the fallacy tropes. Their swords were way better and more popular than their axes.

-- George Krashos

Well, if D&D didn't treat spears in such a weird way I would have said spear and shield any day. Spears were by far the most common weapon during that time, along with bows and thrown rocks, because good iron ore was sparse in our region back then. However, travel and trade helped counter that.

Owning a sword back then would be the equivalent of owning a sports car today - showing off your wealth.

So changing that is an easy way to spin it your own way.
cpthero2 Posted - 15 Dec 2020 : 06:19:49
Learned Scribe PattPlays,

haha, I get your meaning there. However, consider the bibliography found at https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Lantan.

Best regards,

PattPlays Posted - 15 Dec 2020 : 04:07:39
Nobody else voten Lantan? I mean, we have artificers.. I get that WOTC has made Artificers out to be all about Eberron, but come on! We have an island culture perfect for an artificer lore supplement for the realms.
George Krashos Posted - 15 Dec 2020 : 04:00:23
quote:
So don't worry about your stuff. If you say "people with axes, roundshields and longships" I'm sold.

That's one of the fallacy tropes. Their swords were way better and more popular than their axes.

-- George Krashos
The Arcanamach Posted - 15 Dec 2020 : 01:14:33
@Seethyr: I love me some Zakhara and I'd like to get an update on it, but it had a decent product line. The other areas you mentioned could all use some work though.
The Arcanamach Posted - 15 Dec 2020 : 01:05:28
Concerning areas that already have some coverage in a supplement (such as the Shining South) they get very little coverage, especially if the work covers multiple states. In the 2e Shining South each region gets the following number of pages:

Halruaa 20 pages
Dambrath 19 pages
Luiren 11 pages (yep, 11 pages)
Durpar, Estagund, Var 20 pages (that's an average of 6.33 pages each)
Ulgarth 8 pages

Sure, we get a few pages in 3e and some web pieces but that amounts to what? Maybe 4 more pages? And much of that is simply restated material. Nah, they receive little coverage compared to say, Thay (Dreams of the Red Wizards = 64 pages, plus what we get in the Spellbound boxed set plus 3e content and web content...though much of that material is restated as well).

What I would like are full works on each. Luiren gets its own, Halruaa gets its own, etc.
Seethyr Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 22:26:13
Utter East, Malatra, Endless Waste, Zakhara - the list goes on. Out of these Id pick a Nimbral first and Sossal second. I’d have taken Sossal first but it would have to be a huge departure from Rime as far as cold lands go. I’d also want some updates to the lythari.
cpthero2 Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 21:34:54
Learned Scribe Returnip,

Well, one thing I think is creative freedom about Scandinavian countries is: you have an enormous amount of super hot women! ;) haha It's a fact!

Best regards,

Returnip Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 20:57:31
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

I'm voting for Ruathym because I'm Scandinavian and I have a deep interest in the history up here. While it is easy for me to extrapolate on the material that exist regarding Ruathym by simply fantasying up Scandinavian history it would be interesting to see someone else's take on it. Unfortunately other parts of the world often get our history wrong, based on obsolete records and misinterpretations, so I would probably be disappointed in whatever came out. That said I never stop hoping for a good fictional representation of "norsemen in longships" or "vikings" even though there has not been one historically accurate work released yet that have reached the great masses.

Eric Boyd and I have done some work on Ruathym. We haven't sought to make it Scandinavian, although the Illuskan tongue does have a few nods to the language there. We've worked more on its history as opposed to its society.

-- George Krashos

Yes, I think it would be a mistake to try and make it historically accurate in a fantasy setting. And old norse inspired stuff in fantasy settings can be great. The problem I have mostly with movies, tv series, video games and other forms of entertainment is when they try to label it as "based on a true story" or "the most authentic experience" blah blah blah. They never nail it! And it's not because we don't have enough information of what life was like during that era. It's because those making the movies and series can't stick to facts, but always have to exercise their creative freedom. Well, they should not pretend to make historically accurate stuff then. They should just make fiction.

George Krashos Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 20:49:30
quote:

I'm voting for Ruathym because I'm Scandinavian and I have a deep interest in the history up here. While it is easy for me to extrapolate on the material that exist regarding Ruathym by simply fantasying up Scandinavian history it would be interesting to see someone else's take on it. Unfortunately other parts of the world often get our history wrong, based on obsolete records and misinterpretations, so I would probably be disappointed in whatever came out. That said I never stop hoping for a good fictional representation of "norsemen in longships" or "vikings" even though there has not been one historically accurate work released yet that have reached the great masses.

Eric Boyd and I have done some work on Ruathym. We haven't sought to make it Scandinavian, although the Illuskan tongue does have a few nods to the language there. We've worked more on its history as opposed to its society.

-- George Krashos
cpthero2 Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 18:31:26
Tom,

quote:
Nimbral was also fairly extensively covered in a WotC web series by Ed with some bits in Serpent Kingdoms and Champions of Valor too.

That seven part series was a good read for sure; however, the whole Exodus of Leirans in 173DR is super interesting, but only a few paragraphs in the GHotR. I'd love to hear the story behind that! :)

Best regards,

cpthero2 Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 18:29:07
Senior Scribe Delnyn,

quote:
If Candlekeep gets enough responses, maybe the top result should be forwarded to DM Guild. WoTC might be a lost cause.

As it turns out, I believe I overheard someone in the halls saying that one of the Phoenix Prophecies ended up being translated as indeed indicating that WotC is a lost cause. haha There you go, from the Abbalayar!

Best regards,

cpthero2 Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 18:24:39
Learned Scribe deserk,

quote:
Ulgarth has a decent bit with it being covered in 2nd edition the Shining South book (an update would be pretty swell though), the rest of what little lore there for the rest of the Utter East is a bit of a tangled mess with scattered hints from a few novels, magazines and that strategy video game that dealt with the region (not a fan of it's goofy "fairytale"-esque portrayal of the region though, I would be quite content with ignoring it's depiction in terms of canon FR lore).

See, I think they could use that as a rumor that existed before for the Utter East and then develop it. I mean, it should practically be a super highway of trade between the Shining Lands and Zakhara. The most prolific trade nations in the world are closest to Zakhara and the Utter East is the land bridge between them. That place should be hopping to some degree or another and I'd love to see how the clash of cultures would come about and the opportunity for adventure from it. :)

Best regards,

TomCosta Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 18:23:55
So my vote would actually be the Dragon Coast. Outside of Westgate, it's got little collected lore, versus some of the items up there that are covered by Serpent Kingdoms and Shining South (2E and 3E versions) fairly extensively. Nimbral was also fairly extensively covered in a WotC web series by Ed with some bits in Serpent Kingdoms and Champions of Valor too.
Zeromaru X Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 18:06:24
My opinion is fairly obvious: I want more official stuff on Tymanther. However, I'm just working on it myself (a small aourcebook with all my fan-stuff), as I agree with the statement that WotC is a lost cause.

I do agree with George, tho. Sossal doesn't have much about it.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 17:39:16
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

All of those lands are really underdeveloped except Halruaa, Dambrath, Durpar, Estagund, Var the Golden and Luiren, and arguably Tashalar, Lapaliiya, Thindol and Samarach. I love these places as fan of the Shining South, but you do have enough lore to go on to set a campaign there (in the 1st-3.5 era at least). The Shaar has a stronger case. Since it is a vast region with many undetailed cities, regions, sites and settlements, as well as particular clans, beliefs and inhabitants.

I wouldn't be adverse to an update to the Shining South, myself. Yeah, we've got a couple of books there already, but it's in the same boat as so much else: no real info since the 3E era.
deserk Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 12:57:43
All of those lands are really underdeveloped except Halruaa, Dambrath, Durpar, Estagund, Var the Golden and Luiren, and arguably Tashalar, Lapaliiya, Thindol and Samarach. I love these places as fan of the Shining South, but you do have enough lore to go on to set a campaign there (in the 1st-3.5 era at least). The Shaar has a stronger case. Since it is a vast region with many undetailed cities, regions, sites and settlements, as well as particular clans, beliefs and inhabitants.

Sossal has probably two-three sentences of lore, which is pretty much nothing, so I would say without question it should make the very top of the list. Ulgarth has a decent bit with it being covered in 2nd edition the Shining South book (an update would be pretty swell though), the rest of what little lore there for the rest of the Utter East is a bit of a tangled mess with scattered hints from a few novels, magazines and that strategy video game that dealt with the region (not a fan of it's goofy "fairytale"-esque portrayal of the region though, I would be quite content with ignoring it's depiction in terms of canon FR lore).

Ruathym would be a nice place for a adventure book as well, explaining how such a seemingly small island managed to play such a significant part in the history of Faerun in particular their influence on the Moonshaes, Sword Coast and Icewind Dale, and also would be interesting to know more about the island as well as what's beneath it (Ruathym Deep?), as well as it's neighbouring isles, i.e. Nerth and Axard and the sea-faring dwarves that dwell on Rethgaardt. Such a book could also tell us more about where the Illuskan/Northlanders came from, and what prompted them to come here, given that they originated in what is West of the Trackless Seas (possibly near Anchorome?).

It would be incredible though if we could get books covering any of these places, but it seems pretty unlikely, though I do like the effort to get a consensus on this. Maybe it might encourage some people on DMs Guild do to something with some of these places.
Delnyn Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 11:55:32
If Candlekeep gets enough responses, maybe the top result should be forwarded to DM Guild. WoTC might be a lost cause.
Returnip Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 11:14:48
George Krashos Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 07:19:10
My vote went to Sossal. So little lore on the place.

-- George Krashos
cpthero2 Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 07:17:48
Master Arcanamach,

quote:
For me it is Nimbral.

I cannot disagree with you about the real dearth of information on Nimbral. Leira is one of my favorite deities, and the whole Exodus of Leirans from 173DR is really interesting to me.

However, I have to say the Utter East. Not much substance on it.

Best regards,

The Arcanamach Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 07:03:03
For me it is Nimbral. Something about a magical kingdom focused on illusion magic that worships a deity of deception intrigues me to no end. Lantan (Atlantis) is a close second and I'd love to see Veldorn (the monster kingdom) fleshed out as well.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000