Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 My review of the Herald *spoilers*

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CorellonsDevout Posted - 05 Jun 2014 : 21:27:46
Okay, so I feel guilty about giving a bad review of Ed's writing, when he is a genius in the creation of the Realms. But, for me, at least, his writing isn't always on par with his creation. Much of the story felt rushed, particularly the the end. There is a lot going on in The Herald, and IMO, it should have either been thicker, or divided into 2 books (though I know it was the last of the Sundering, so Ed had to wrap things up in one novel).

I'm not happy about the destruction of Myth Drannor; it totally negates the Last Mythal trilogy, and it was only around again for about a century. At least Fflar and Ilsevele survive.

My disappointment is also in the Sundering as a whole, as is being discussed in other threads. For all Wizards attempts to "make this about the mortals and not the gods", the ending of the Herald was very deus ex machina. Mystra is revealed in the last few pages, thwarts Shar, and everything is right--aside of course, from the destruction of Myth Drannor. As I've said before, I like stories about gods and their followers, but again, this felt rushed.

El's unleashing of various creatures he's imprisoned over the centuries also felt random. Where did all these "handily imprisoned" creatures come from? Perhaps they were from books I haven't read or don't remember, but even so, El's releasing of them to hinder the mercenary armies seemed forced. Also somewhat random was Alustrial and Laeral's hiding ib Candlekeep when the world thought they were dead. Now, don't get me wrong, I like them both, but...really?

As mentioned in another thread, the Sundering was likely a marketing ploy by Wizards, and we have to wait for the actual campaign setting to come out before we are privvy to the full results, but the novels, while decent in themselves, were disappointing as a series and in relation to the Sundering. Oh, much was hinted at or alluded to, but the RSE to end all RSEs was a letdown, IMO.

All that said, it was a good read in itself, and I finished it in three days (I've had a lot of time on my hands lately). I would like to see a sequal.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 28 Nov 2020 : 05:58:38
Great Reader Artemas Entreri,

Sadly, the big boys and girls get a lot of time over the regular scrubs. I know I am about to board the one way heresy train to hell here, but the Drizz't thing has become a bit much as well as I think some people agree.

Best regards,

Artemas Entreri Posted - 25 Nov 2020 : 23:14:34
Just finished this one myself and it was decent for a Greenwood novel, but all of the page time for Manshoon, Mirt, Storm, Amarune and Arclath felt like a complete waste of time.
LordofBones Posted - 25 Dec 2014 : 05:18:16
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

quote:
And Larloch, just Larloch. He can't possibly be any worse than Mystra as a deity of magic; hell, Midnight had no qualifications when she ascended, while Larloch hailed from a magocracy, ruled in a magocracy and spent over a thousand years simply researching magic and new spells. He's more qualified than anyone else.

Midnight was prepared by Mystra to be able to take on the mantle of godhood and after he ascension El allowed her to tap his mind to learn MANY things. As was stated in the novel this happened in, Midnight became OLD overnight. And whether or not Larloch would be more qualified than Mystra is a matter of debate.

And then she ended up getting censured by the Greater Powers, so it seems like she's learned nothing. Honestly, Midnight would be more relatable a deity if she was indeed struggling with the remnants of her previous mortality and her current divinity, perhaps with conversations between the new goddess and her court, all of whom are ascended mortals. Perhaps there's schism between the Chosen, since Midnight doesn't have the closeness the original had to them. Perhaps there's a schism between Mid and Kel, due to Midnight throwing her backing behind Velsharoon. Hell, a scene with Midnight meeting Larloch would have been fun to see, if only for some character development for Larloch and Midnight.

Even the previous Mystra didn't exactly live up to her fluff text either, from being a LN deity and best buds with Wee Jas to Ed Greenwood's interpretation of her.
Austin the Archmage Posted - 25 Dec 2014 : 03:20:27
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

I'm thinking we're going to see more Azuth in 2015.

What makes you say that? Didn't Asmodeus like, eat him or something?
Eilserus Posted - 22 Dec 2014 : 20:54:12
I'm thinking we're going to see more Azuth in 2015.
The Arcanamach Posted - 22 Dec 2014 : 20:17:32
quote:
And Larloch, just Larloch. He can't possibly be any worse than Mystra as a deity of magic; hell, Midnight had no qualifications when she ascended, while Larloch hailed from a magocracy, ruled in a magocracy and spent over a thousand years simply researching magic and new spells. He's more qualified than anyone else.

Midnight was prepared by Mystra to be able to take on the mantle of godhood and after he ascension El allowed her to tap his mind to learn MANY things. As was stated in the novel this happened in, Midnight became OLD overnight. And whether or not Larloch would be more qualified than Mystra is a matter of debate.

I would like less focus on the Chosen (even though I really like them) as well. And a focus on Azuth's clergy would be nice. If anyone could/should take up the mantle of god all of all magic I think it should be him. Assuming Mystra is ever 'killed' again.
LordofBones Posted - 22 Dec 2014 : 14:08:36
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

For those who lament the defeat of Telemont, he's only dead in this book. This is D&D so there is no reason you can't bring him back.

I'm not upset over Telamont's death.

I'm upset that Telamont went from being a genuinely competent and terrifying villain to someone whose sole reason for appearing was to show off how l33t Elminster is.

I'm thinking the Chosen and Mystra need to go away for a while and let the other gods of magic and their clergies get the limelight for a bit. I'd love to read more about the clergies of Azuth, Savras and Velsharoon instead of more on Mystra and her Merry Men.
Chronthalas Posted - 06 Dec 2014 : 21:15:47
I have to post another complaint about the book. It didn't feel like war was coming to Myth Drannor, more like small skirmishes happening here and there. Maybe because the mercenary army felt like such a nondescript clone army the battles didn't seem very important. In one instance Storm comes upon hundreds of troops led by a Shadovar arcanist with two half-orc or half-giant bodyguards. Having recently read and being spoiled by the melee narration from the latest Salvatore novel, in my mind I thought this will certainly pose some major problems!

But instead of a lengthy battle sequence full of thrills I get about five chops with a sword, a Shadovar and two big bodyguards dead, and an army fleeing.

BenN Posted - 10 Oct 2014 : 03:33:00
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron
What was the point of Amarune and Delcastle? They really seemed to serve no purpose.

Yeah, that's a good point! They helped (a bit) in defending Myth Drannor, but Storm sent them away again when she realized how futile (and fatal) it was. Most of the Chosen were there anyway, so having an extra pair of (relatively ordinary) humans there didn't make any difference at all.

quote:
I think Areavin should have at least been mentioned, if not shown. I understand that he left the city, but it was stated that he could feel any attack on the mythal, no matter where he was.

Another good point. You would have thought that he would be one of the first people that the Coronal would ask help from; although, who knows if he's still alive in this timeline?

I think it would also have been good if other characters from the Last Mythal series had a mention, especially some of the elven sub-commanders such as Jerreda Starcloak and Edraele Muirreste. If they were in Myth Drannor at the time (i.e. hadn't returned to Evermeet), presumably they would have played prominent roles in the defence.

Another thing that I thought was a bit weird was that Myth Drannor's mythal prevented any of the combatants from using missile weapons. I get how this would be useful in hampering the enemy, but it surely hampered the elves even more; bows are after all an elven speciality, and of course its better to attack your foes from a distance - especially if you want to use hit & run tactics, and you're heavily outnumbered & physically not as robust.
Aulduron Posted - 09 Oct 2014 : 20:28:31
I didn't like the destruction of Myth Drannor. I thought the Shadovar were too powerful.

What was the point of Amarune and Delcastle? They really seemed to serve no purpose.

I think Areavin should have at least been mentioned, if not shown. I understand that he left the city, but it was stated that he could feel any attack on the mythal, no matter where he was.
Penknight Posted - 15 Sep 2014 : 18:37:54
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

quote:
Originally posted by BenN
Most of them are alive IIRC; only Dove died in the novel.

Nah, with Dove gone most of them are now dead.

Syluné has been dead for a long while.
Qilué died in the events concerning the Lady Penitent series.
The Simbul died recently in Elminster's Rage.
And Dove died now.

I haven't been able to keep up with the novels in a while. Would you mind letting me know how The Simbul died? You can PM me if you'd prefer not to say here.
Tanthalas Posted - 15 Sep 2014 : 18:29:50
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

Nah, with Dove gone most of them are now dead.

Syluné has been dead for a long while.
Qilué died in the events concerning the Lady Penitent series.
The Simbul died recently in Elminster Enraged.
And Dove died now.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 15 Sep 2014 : 05:32:10
I think a number of elves survived the attack on Myth Drannor, but the city still got at least partially destroyed. It was only around for a hundred years or so, only to get destroyed again. Even if it is only partially destroyed, it kind of nullified the Last Mythal books, IMO. I know the elves can rebuild, and will...again.

I took liked Shade as an enemy, though they were far more intimidating in previous books than they were in this one.

Also...what about the ghost of Alusair? She was a real presence in the previous Sage of Shadowdale books, but she wasn't in the Herald at all.
BenN Posted - 15 Sep 2014 : 04:32:00
quote:
- Hate it that both Myth Drannor and Shade got destroyed. Yeah, I know THO already mentioned that Myth Drannor isn't gone for good, but now that I read the book, it's pretty obvious that this was one major setback for the elves. By the end of the book it pretty much looks like that the Myth Drannor elves were all slaughtered down to less than a dozen fighters, leaving only the elderly and the children.

I agree with you about Myth Drannor, but I think there are more survivors than that. Via THO, Ed said that most of the non-combatants had already got out before the siege bang in earnest, and that of 6,500 defenders, about 5,000 were killed, and when the Coronal finally retreats to Semberholme
quote:
There were elves everywhere around around her, in bloody armor, swords in their hands, weeping and embracing

As the Tree of Souls has survived, presumably the elves will want to reclaim the city as soon as they can; but where can they expect to get help/reinforcements from? I guess this is a set-up for a new adventure for PCs.

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan
Is Alustriel the only sister to be alive now? What about Laeral?

Irennan Posted - 15 Sep 2014 : 01:16:08
quote:

When I saw characters start dieing I was also expecting the rest of the sisters to get offed. I wonder if Alustriel only survived because Salvatore might want her back in Silverymoon.

Is Alustriel the only sister to be alive now? What about Laeral?
Tanthalas Posted - 15 Sep 2014 : 00:39:30
Having finally gotten around to reading this book:

While I did enjoy the book, I share several of the misgivings that people have already mentioned.

- I liked Rune and Delclath a lot more in the previous books. In this one they were kind of just there.

- Ed always has a tendency to make the villains in his books look incompetent. The Telamont in The Herald is nothing compared to the Telamont portrayed in Troy Denning's and Paul S Kemp's books.

- Hate it that both Myth Drannor and Shade got destroyed. Yeah, I know THO already mentioned that Myth Drannor isn't gone for good, but now that I read the book, it's pretty obvious that this was one major setback for the elves. By the end of the book it pretty much looks like that the Myth Drannor elves were all slaughtered down to less than a dozen fighters, leaving only the elderly and the children. Shade is pretty much nothing now. They just erased one of the coolest things that happened in the Realm (the reclamation of Myth Drannor) and also one of the very few credible threats in the Realms. Even though technically, Ed did leave a possible way for the princes of Shade (and Telamont too I guess) to come back, Shade is still reduced to little more than nothing. Very disappointing.

- I hate it that Dove was brought into the book just to be killed off. Ed should have just left her alone. The Srinshee gives off the same vibe, but at least there was a really good reason for her to be there. Dove's presence was just pretty much random. When I saw characters start dieing I was also expecting the rest of the sisters to get offed. I wonder if Alustriel only survived because Salvatore might want her back in Silverymoon.

- I really liked Larloch until he gave the corny speech where Elminster was rolling his eyes. The character's credibility took a major nosedive then.

- I actually liked the sections with Mirt, but it's hard to ignore that they had a very tenuous connection with the rest of the book. Manshoon continues to be a bumbling idiot. I really REALLY hope that the original Manshoon is still around somewhere and that he's one awesome badass to wipe away the stains that his clones are. One final note about this: I don't really understand how they went from a room where Manshoon is cornered by several high priests and war wizards to a room in the Queen Fee having drinks.

- Finally, everyone gets together at the end to celebrate but no mention of Dove being killed? Certainly Mystra was aware of what happened. I'm guessing that Midnight is still Mystra given her sentence saying "that she inherited the title of Mother"? Though she missing Storm's stew doesn't make her seem Midnight, unless she paid visits to Storm after she ascended to godhood.

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

One thing to always remember, WotC has edit control of even what Ed writes. With all those NDAs in place we likely will not know soon if ever on how much the final product of any Ed novel is what Ed wanted and how much WotC wanted. There appear to be valid NDAs nearing if not exceeding 20 years still in place.

You know, it's also possible that Ed wrote something that someone disliked. You can't blame it all on WotC editing when Ed has been writing in this style since forever.
ywhtptgtfo Posted - 28 Jul 2014 : 06:40:31
IMHO, I am never a big fan of Ed's writing. He's a good world designer but the novels are often very corny. Here are some of the common themes I don't like:
1. Almost every notable character is physically attractive... be it pretty, handsome, muscular, etc. Dan Brown falls into this trap too.
2. Very powerful good characters are often lurking in the background (if not directly involved). They always outclass the bad characters by several quadrillion order
3. There's usually only good and evil characters. Good characters almost never have contradicting agenda and are usually one big happy family.
4. Demeanor of characters are overtly dramatic most of the time. This makes them feel a bit artificial

Ironically, I find the portrayal of Ed's characters in "The Simbul's Gift" to be by far the best I've ever seen in FR novels... and that book's written by someone else.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Jul 2014 : 15:14:22
The less popular ones? 3E and 4E hardly featured any threats that weren't the Shadovar, and they were inexplicably successful.

To me, returning to the status of having many potential bad guy groups, instead of one that just keeps popping up everywhere, is a good thing.
Mothor Posted - 26 Jul 2014 : 08:57:44
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Telemont being slain so quick like that is ludicrous. So are any of the Princes of Shade still alive??

I'm honestly not sure. If memory serves, at least one Prince died in every Sundering book. Some books more than that.

[Edit Just a quick look at the FR Wiki, Clariburnus, Dethud, Yder, and Aglarel are unaccounted for. I'm not sure about the last two, though. I think they got killed in The Herald, but I'm going to have to double check.]
As for Telemont ... without going into too much detail, the guy had been bleeding HP/Stamina like crazy trying to perform a ritual (and I'll admit, I'm reading game terms into a novel, so it's easily debatable.) If anything, he did take pages, even chapters to die. He just wasn't toe-toe fighting someone for those pages, he was performing a magical ritual that drained him of HP to complete. The final blow did only take a paragraph or two, but El essentially stepped in when the guy was exhausted, down to single digits, and took advantage of the situation rather than toss down the gauntlet and request Telemont heal up and fight it out on even ground.

Yder was killed in the sentinel

Yder's death irked me too. I liked the story's protagonist, Kleef Kenrick, but he emphasized everything that is irksome about Chosen. I'm not talking about Mystra's Chosen here, who actually earned their powers. I'm talking about characters that basically have a bunch of power heaped on them to move the plot along more quickly. Kleef was a good swordsman, certainly not on Drizzt level, and probably not even on pre-Chosen Erevis Cale level. All of a sudden, he's powerful enough to manhandle the greatest warrior in Shade, because Helm randomly decides to give him some cool new powers.

Villains sadly seem to always lose to the heroes whether its due to being weaker, being too arrogant, a deus ex machina interference,bad luck or just because.

Personally the reason I kinda liked the shadowar was because they actually looked like competent villains. Because the looked like an actual threat.

It is hard to cheer for the protagonists(unless they are villains) since we know that there is quite a low chance for them to actually lose.

Unfortunately the shadovar were seemingly not liked among the readers and so it seems that WotC higher ups decided to take them out of the picture by killing most(if not all) figures of note among them.

The 4th edition may have been a bit too gloomy with the world being so messed up by the baddies, but now it looks like WotC decided to take the opposite extreme and make it all rainbows, hearts and butterflies and messing all the baddies especially the less popular ones.
Lilianviaten Posted - 25 Jul 2014 : 06:24:07
quote:

quote:

quote:

Telemont being slain so quick like that is ludicrous. So are any of the Princes of Shade still alive??

I'm honestly not sure. If memory serves, at least one Prince died in every Sundering book. Some books more than that.

[Edit Just a quick look at the FR Wiki, Clariburnus, Dethud, Yder, and Aglarel are unaccounted for. I'm not sure about the last two, though. I think they got killed in The Herald, but I'm going to have to double check.]
As for Telemont ... without going into too much detail, the guy had been bleeding HP/Stamina like crazy trying to perform a ritual (and I'll admit, I'm reading game terms into a novel, so it's easily debatable.) If anything, he did take pages, even chapters to die. He just wasn't toe-toe fighting someone for those pages, he was performing a magical ritual that drained him of HP to complete. The final blow did only take a paragraph or two, but El essentially stepped in when the guy was exhausted, down to single digits, and took advantage of the situation rather than toss down the gauntlet and request Telemont heal up and fight it out on even ground.

Yder's death irked me too. I liked the story's protagonist, Kleef Kenrick, but he emphasized everything that is irksome about Chosen. I'm not talking about Mystra's Chosen here, who actually earned their powers. I'm talking about characters that basically have a bunch of power heaped on them to move the plot along more quickly. Kleef was a good swordsman, certainly not on Drizzt level, and probably not even on pre-Chosen Erevis Cale level. All of a sudden, he's powerful enough to manhandle the greatest warrior in Shade, because Helm randomly decides to give him some cool new powers.
The Masked Mage Posted - 24 Jul 2014 : 07:17:41
For those who lament the defeat of Telemont, he's only dead in this book. This is D&D so there is no reason you can't bring him back.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 23 Jul 2014 : 13:54:53
Are the Shadow Illusionist twins still alive anyone know?
Delwa Posted - 22 Jul 2014 : 20:26:48
quote:

quote:

quote:

Thank you. I've been juggling too many books at once lately and they're all getting confused. So that leaves two, possibly three Princes of Shade still around.
Firestorm Posted - 22 Jul 2014 : 16:27:03
quote:

quote:

Delwa Posted - 17 Jul 2014 : 15:46:09
quote:

Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 17 Jul 2014 : 12:21:10
Delwa Posted - 17 Jul 2014 : 03:25:29
quote:

I don't mind spoilers.... so.... is Telamont dead?

Yep. I mean, being legalistic, you could bring him back, but it's a huge stretch if you do.
I for one, don't mind his death being over in less than a page. If you watch a Olympic Fencing match, each round is over in seconds. This drawn-out stuff is pure fiction. It can be good fiction, two masters just throwing attacks, feeling each other out before finally ending it, but it's by no means required for a good story.
Overall, I liked the book. There were some parts that did feel a little rushed, and if THO hadn't explained that Myth Drannor wasn't totally obliterated, I'd be sad, but overall I'm pleased.
Now to send my PC's on a mission to aid in restoring Candlekeep. The Old Sage let the gremlins out....
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 16 Jul 2014 : 23:37:02
I don't mind spoilers.... so.... is Telamont dead?
Veritas Posted - 28 Jun 2014 : 00:39:19
If nothing else, the novel firmly established that lady The Hooded One was the titular Herald. ;)
jordanz Posted - 25 Jun 2014 : 03:46:07
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Okay, so I feel guilty about giving a bad review of Ed's writing, when he is a genius in the creation of the Realms. But, for me, at least, his writing isn't always on par with his creation. Much of the story felt rushed, particularly the the end. There is a lot going on in The Herald, and IMO, it should have either been thicker, or divided into 2 books (though I know it was the last of the Sundering, so Ed had to wrap things up in one novel).

Agreed I do cut Ed some slack just due to the sheer score of what he had to tie up.

quote:

I'm not happy about the destruction of Myth Drannor; it totally negates the Last Mythal trilogy, and it was only around again for about a century. At least Fflar and Ilsevele survive.

Agreed Myth Drannor pretty much IS the realms not a smart thing to do if the plan was to go back to what worked. Speaking of "The Last Mythal". Should Araevin have played a big part in this? He doesn't even get an honorable mention.

quote:

My disappointment is also in the Sundering as a whole, as is being discussed in other threads. For all Wizards attempts to "make this about the mortals and not the gods", the ending of the Herald was very deus ex machina. Mystra is revealed in the last few pages, thwarts Shar, and everything is right--aside of course, from the destruction of Myth Drannor. As I've said before, I like stories about gods and their followers, but again, this felt rushed.

Yep rushed and not well fleshed out . Exactly what happened to Larloch at the end? Mind you the best part of the novel for me was the first meeting between El and Larloch - I LOVED that!

quote:

El's unleashing of various creatures he's imprisoned over the centuries also felt random. Where did all these "handily imprisoned" creatures come from? Perhaps they were from books I haven't read or don't remember, but even so, El's releasing of them to hinder the mercenary armies seemed forced. Also somewhat random was Alustrial and Laeral's hiding ib Candlekeep when the world thought they were dead. Now, don't get me wrong, I like them both, but...really?

Is an earthbound DracoLich, a Beholder, a Mindflayer and an elder black dragon enough to turn back an army of serveral thousands? In all of El's battles these were the most interesting monsters Ed could come up with? How about an Elder evil tossed in there somewhere....And this army...it had to be the most MUNDANE army anyone could think of. Was the Mythal the reason for that? No mages or summoned creatures allowed? But what about when it weakened?

quote:

As mentioned in another thread, the Sundering was likely a marketing ploy by Wizards, and we have to wait for the actual campaign setting to come out before we are privvy to the full results, but the novels, while decent in themselves, were disappointing as a series and in relation to the Sundering. Oh, much was hinted at or alluded to, but the RSE to end all RSEs was a letdown, IMO.

All that said, it was a good read in itself, and I finished it in three days (I've had a lot of time on my hands lately). I would like to see a sequal.

Yes it was still good. The expectations were all sky high based on the hype , the author, and the fact that this was the last novel.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000