Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Groundlings in Faerun

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Fellfire Posted - 19 Mar 2011 : 17:20:31
In the Monsters of Faerun book under the entry, Groundling, page 58 are these interesting little beasties. "Groundlings are magically altered by evil wizards. Originally of dwarven stock, they have been hideously transformed to incorporate the features of giant badgers. Groundlings are short and stocky, sharing the build of dwarves-in fact, they can easily be mistaken for dwarves from a distance. Their stunted ears are buried in wild fur and their eyes appear as narrow slits. A long, bristled snout replaces the dwarven nose, and large fangs protrude from the extended mouth. A groundling's hands end in powerful talons. These creatures generally stink of spoiled meat. Most groundlings know at least a few words of Common and can snarl out a basic conversation...Wizards of the Zhentarim breed groundlings in the dungeons of Darkhold. Groundlings serve the Zhentarim by tracking down and destroying the enemies of their masters. They form a structured guild with strict rules imposed by the Black Network. These rules forbid them to kill creatures other than their assigned targets (unless they are interfered with)..."

Is there anything else published about these creatures? Have any escaped and are there any communities of groundlings outside the Zhentarim's influence? Are there any notable examples of them?
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 23 Nov 2020 : 22:40:21
Tom,

Wow, that is an amazing amount of character options. Assuming 5e?

That is awesome that you are having lore development involving the Yehimal Mountains. I love seeing under written areas of the Realms getting some love!

Best regards,

TomCosta Posted - 23 Nov 2020 : 15:57:44
So regarding the groundlings specifically, I plan a bit of updated background and more recent lore. They honestly don't need much more given their origin, though I do date it (which was actually a bit sticky given dwarven lifespans and when the Zhents took over the Darkhold).

That said, I'm overall adding a fair bit of overall lore to dwarves (as I'm also covering arctic, derro, desert, dwelf, korobukuru, urdunnir, wild, azerblood, and maeluth as player races and Deepspawned as a background) starting with the migration out of the Yehimal Mtts. I'm at around 150 pages of character options and trying to add a fair bit more lore this time around than I did on Forgotten Characters of the Realms I.
cpthero2 Posted - 22 Nov 2020 : 22:43:01
Good afternoon Tom,

quote:
I plan on presenting them in my next DM's Guild product Forgotten Characters of the Realms 2 as both a player option and a monster.

Is it a good amount of lore? I don't play 4e/5e, so the mechanics are irrelevant to me, but the lore is not. :)

Best regards,

TomCosta Posted - 22 Nov 2020 : 22:24:38
I plan on presenting them in my next DM's Guild product Forgotten Characters of the Realms 2 as both a player option and a monster.
cpthero2 Posted - 22 Nov 2020 : 05:37:20
Great Reader Masked Mage,

That is a hideous creation story on Groundlings: wow!

You would think the Harper's and other anti-Zhentarim organizations would capture some, polymorph them back, and try to use them to infiltrate the organization with their knowledge and seek vengeance since they are already trained. ;)

Best regards,

The Masked Mage Posted - 28 Aug 2020 : 06:22:29
I know this is an old post, but I just stumbled across it and thought I should answer anyhow for the next person who searches up groundlings here...

The groundling was introduced in the story remembered by Markustay and Wooly and named by Sage... "The Family Business" Written by James Lowder and included in Realms of Valor.

The first MC entry for groundlings was done based on this, published in Polyhedron Newsine #93 back in 1994, one of three MC pages written by Eric L. Boyd and grouped under the name "Novel Creations".
The Sage Posted - 20 Mar 2011 : 15:37:37
You're probably thinking of "The Family Business" in Realms of Valor.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Mar 2011 : 13:50:36
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Thanks for looking, Markus. I wasn't even sure where to begin and I don't remember them from 2e at all.
I'm thinking they may have had another name, which is making searching for them difficult. Not sure, though.

I can't even seem to find the short story about them - I checked all my anthologies... just weird. The story actually centered around the son of a thief; he and his father were planning on robbing the next passerby on a deserted road, who turned out to be King Azoun (in his younger days) fleeing the assassins (who were following by tunneling underground). That was the set-up, and the story preceded from there.

Can't seem to find it anywhere, though.

Wasn't that a story about Artus Cimber? I'm thinking it was one of the first Realms of books.
Markustay Posted - 20 Mar 2011 : 13:46:25
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Thanks for looking, Markus. I wasn't even sure where to begin and I don't remember them from 2e at all.
I'm thinking they may have had another name, which is making searching for them difficult. Not sure, though.

I can't even seem to find the short story about them - I checked all my anthologies... just weird. The story actually centered around the son of a thief; he and his father were planning on robbing the next passerby on a deserted road, who turned out to be King Azoun (in his younger days) fleeing the assassins (who were following by tunneling underground). That was the set-up, and the story preceded from there.

Can't seem to find it anywhere, though.
The Sage Posted - 20 Mar 2011 : 05:40:02
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And here I was expecting a Spelljammer discussion...

That was initially my thought as well. I even missed the Netheril references to groundlings [within a SJ-context]...
Fellfire Posted - 20 Mar 2011 : 04:52:10
That's mostly what my searches were turning up. Bloody Spacers.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Mar 2011 : 04:49:59
And here I was expecting a Spelljammer discussion...
The Sage Posted - 20 Mar 2011 : 00:30:50
Unfortunately, a quick scan of the most relevant sources doesn't reveal too much in the way of previous groundling lore.
Markustay Posted - 19 Mar 2011 : 17:25:16
There is a short story featuring King Azoun where he is attacked by groundling assassins. IIRC, he was hard-pressed to overcome them.

I'm sure someone else will come along with the name of the story and which book it was in.

EDIT: I could have sworn there was an earlier source mention of them then the 3eMM, but I can't seem to find it. Oddly, I see no mention of them in the Moonsea or Zhentil Keep products (mind you, I was only looking through the monstrous entries, and not the full body of the text). Nor are they in the 2eFRMM.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000