Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The ondonti

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RodOdom Posted - 11 Apr 2006 : 23:45:17
Has anyone used this race of pacifistic orcs in their game? I think they are pretty neat.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 24 Nov 2020 : 00:31:44
Senior Scribe TheIriaeban,

Good god, that is hilarious. Moisty for some reason immediately make me think of Tom Costa working on the groundlings again, and one of them being called, "Moisty." lol When you look at the 2nd edition Monstrous Compendium it just makes it too rich.

Best regards,

TheIriaeban Posted - 23 Nov 2020 : 23:59:03
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

lol I only live now as I was not drinking a beverage when I read that.

Master of Drizzle or Master of Sprinkle! hahaha

What about, "Master of Dreary Moistness"?

Best regards,

That could be an issue given that the monk in question could be referred to as a "moisty" and that would not be very sporting for any group to have their monk referred to as that.
cpthero2 Posted - 23 Nov 2020 : 22:43:09

lol I only live now as I was not drinking a beverage when I read that.

Master of Drizzle or Master of Sprinkle! hahaha

What about, "Master of Dreary Moistness"?

Best regards,

Baltas Posted - 23 Nov 2020 : 21:06:11
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

As I understand it, there might be a 5E version in the works.

-- George Krashos

That sounds awesome!!!
George Krashos Posted - 23 Nov 2020 : 20:59:41
As I understand it, there might be a 5E version in the works.

-- George Krashos
Baltas Posted - 23 Nov 2020 : 17:49:50
With Ondoti, along it being one of my favorites, others here might be interested that Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa, did a conversion of them for 3rd edition a long time ago:
http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/Realms_Bestiary_vol-1.pdf

Which can be converted to 5E.
TheIriaeban Posted - 23 Nov 2020 : 05:51:55
Master of Mist sounds better than Master of Drizzle or Master of Sprinkle. Monks are supposed to not have an ego but I couldn't really see subjecting someone with that much skill (a level 12 monk) with a title that even the Monks of the Yellow Rose would make fun of.
cpthero2 Posted - 23 Nov 2020 : 00:25:28

That is awesome! Thank you for sharing that. Though, I did notice something odd, and I was wondering if you may have an answer to it:

Why do you think the 12th title would be "Master of Mist", when that seems more Leiran? I mean, yeah, I get it: Eldath, water, etc. It just seems a little....comingled.

Best regards,

TheIriaeban Posted - 22 Nov 2020 : 23:18:47
If you want more information on the monastery, I can put that here. It's history, location, and other bits. For example, here are the level titles (I used the revised monk class as presented in Dragon #53) for the different monk ranks at the Monastery of the Three Streams:

Level Title
1 Novice
2 Initiate of the Rudiments
3 Initiate of the Elements
4 Initiate of the Principles
5 Brother
6 Disciple
7 Disciple of Secrets
8 Disciple of Mysteries
9 Immaculate
10 Master
11 Superior Master
12 Master of Mist
13 Master of Rain
14 Master of Snow
15 Master of Hail
16 Master of Springs
17 Master of Streams
18 Master of Rivers
19 Master of Lakes
20 Master of Oceans
21 Grand Master of the Waters

cpthero2 Posted - 22 Nov 2020 : 22:15:45

My apologies in advance: I am stealing that though like the Chosen of Mask.

sorry, but not sorry, haha

Best regards,

TheIriaeban Posted - 22 Nov 2020 : 16:12:21
I actually have an adventure idea around the Ondonti:

A monastery of Eldathan monks (Disciples of the Yielding Way--I have developed them based on the water philosophy of Aikido) was established in Daggerdale to help bring peace to the region. They get a mission from the Church to rescue as many Ondonti from the Citadel of the Raven as possible. Since the monastery was established through a campaign, they call on their PC friends to help them (so that a balanced party can be used for the adventure). If successful, I could see the released ondonti either staying at the monastery or if too many were freed, a new settlement created for them somewhere (perhaps in the Snakewood, under the protection of Duskwood Dell).
cpthero2 Posted - 22 Nov 2020 : 06:43:20

That is an exceptionally cool idea. Imagine the gray orcs discovering this somehow and going into a religious frenzy over it! What a way to bring Eldath front and center into a campaign. I may have to steal that idea!

Best regards,

TheIriaeban Posted - 22 Nov 2020 : 00:52:27
It could be that their pacifistic nature was bred into them over time. The orc children were taken to Myth Ondath. It could be that the mythal there did something to them over time. 78 years is enough for a couple orc generations. As for the innate spells, that was very likely a gift from Eldath to help them after the Ice Queen destroyed their home.
cpthero2 Posted - 21 Nov 2020 : 23:47:05
Great Reader Irennan,

Good point there. I think the ethic involved and the aims/goals of the deity as well, are going to play an integral part of that spell casting allowance.

Best regards,

Irennan Posted - 29 Oct 2020 : 22:05:28
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

LOL

On a different "note"...how do they innately cast spells if they are "just orcs"?

Eldath's blessing, probably. A deity granting a boon doesn't equal to a deity rewiring someone's breain.

You may ask what's the difference between a deity blessing someone with a few powers and blessing them with a more productive behavior. From a narrative standpoint, while making choices the result of something that isn't under the control of a character is a mistake (because narrative is about choices and understanding that you need to change to overcome obstacles), giving power isn't necessarily a mistake (though it can become one, depending on how you handle it).
cpthero2 Posted - 29 Oct 2020 : 17:04:35
Great Reader sleyvas,

lol, very nice.

What is truly remarkable is that with the layered meanings I had squirreled away in there, that you ultimately understood that I was clearly implying Orc foreskin. haha

quote:
Or at least that's what a Leiran bard was singing about the other day. It was quite a catchy tune called "Bring back my foreskin to me", and it was lamenting the loss of such a vital element of orc biology.

I believe this is the Leiran bard you were looking for the other day. This is another hit, beyond the foreskin song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nNGKK_tv44

"Into the Mist" is obviously a very provocative, Leiran song. ;)

quote:

"Briiinnnng Back,
Briiinnng Back,
Bring Back my Foreskin to me, to me
O Briiinnnng Back,
Briiinnng Back,
Bring Back my Foreskin to meeee,"

Also, you really are good sir, missing out on your calling as a lyricist... just sayin'.

Best regards,

Dalor Darden Posted - 29 Oct 2020 : 14:28:44
LOL

On a different "note"...how do they innately cast spells if they are "just orcs"?
sleyvas Posted - 29 Oct 2020 : 13:21:51
You're all wrong. Totally absolutely wrong. Nope, don't tell me you're right, because you're wrong. The true secret .... you ready for it.... warning it's graphic... the worship of Eldath requires a certain medical procedure to be performed on orc male infants. It's called circumcision, and its meant to make it easier to keep them clean "down there". It causes great psychological stress on orc males in their infancy, and they never ever ever ever recover from it.

Or at least that's what a Leiran bard was singing about the other day. It was quite a catchy tune called "Bring back my foreskin to me", and it was lamenting the loss of such a vital element of orc biology.

"Briiinnnng Back,
Briiinnng Back,
Bring Back my Foreskin to me, to me
O Briiinnnng Back,
Briiinnng Back,
Bring Back my Foreskin to meeee,"
Demzer Posted - 29 Oct 2020 : 10:12:13
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader Darden,

quote:
...how is their innate savagery kept in check? Their desire to eat flesh, their impulsivity and quickness to anger?

This is absolutely, in my view, the best and more relevant question here. If it is a genetic compulsion to behave the way they do, what is happening to facilitate such a radical change from their inherent nature?

I would be extremely interested in hear the very fine print details as to why it would be nurture over nature.

Best regards,

Read the replies above by Irennan and me, we got it covered.
cpthero2 Posted - 29 Oct 2020 : 04:49:14
Great Reader Darden,

quote:
...how is their innate savagery kept in check? Their desire to eat flesh, their impulsivity and quickness to anger?

This is absolutely, in my view, the best and more relevant question here. If it is a genetic compulsion to behave the way they do, what is happening to facilitate such a radical change from their inherent nature?

I would be extremely interested in hear the very fine print details as to why it would be nurture over nature.

Best regards,

CorellonsDevout Posted - 29 Oct 2020 : 00:20:15
The Ondti need some attention.
cpthero2 Posted - 26 Oct 2020 : 09:33:07
Senior Scribe RodOdom,

No, but I think the RP challenge of playing a pacifist is awesome and really hard!

Best regards,

Demzer Posted - 22 Sep 2020 : 15:02:43
quote:

I remember that part...what I don't understand is that if they are Orcs...how is their innate savagery kept in check? Their desire to eat flesh, their impulsivity and quickness to anger?

I"m not asking really if there is already something in writing...but what do people think would be done to change orcs so completely?

I think this is "all nurture and no nature".

Orcs are not evil savage beasts at birth but if the only way to survive is to raid others and eat them they end up doing that, Eldath showed them another way.

Much later, the Kingdom of Many-Arrows achieved something similar when (some of) the orcs finally had a usable patch of land for their own and didn't need to raid for sustenance anymore. Although admittedly Many-Arrows was not a pacifist kindgom, but they were not bloodthirsty savage beasts either.
Irennan Posted - 22 Sep 2020 : 15:00:36
quote:

I remember that part...what I don't understand is that if they are Orcs...how is their innate savagery kept in check? Their desire to eat flesh, their impulsivity and quickness to anger?

The point is that it doesn't exist. FR is more nuanced with innate morality than traditional D&D. Same thing goes for other races, like the drow.

Or you could just say that Eldath waved her hand (or her priests cast some spell) and all that stuff disappeared.

If you want to go for a "dark secret" kind of narrative, you could have the Ondonti as magically brainwashed by their priests from childhood (or something like that), and that being kept a secret, but that's icky to me. And really, it defeats the whole point of adding variant cultures of monolithic races, and of the attempt to add some value to the underwhelming aspects of traditional D&D worldbuilding.

On a side note, this:

"Their desire to eat flesh, their impulsivity and quickness to anger"

sounds a whole lot like *many* humans to me, and humans can be pacifists too, so there isn't much to justify here.
Dalor Darden Posted - 22 Sep 2020 : 08:09:55
Also, and kind of a different topic: how do these orcs have innate spells?
Dalor Darden Posted - 22 Sep 2020 : 07:58:51

I"m not asking really if there is already something in writing...but what do people think would be done to change orcs so completely?
Irennan Posted - 22 Sep 2020 : 07:11:50
quote:

REZ SCROLL

So the Ondonti...pacifist orcs.

How were they made pacifists?

They started as a large group of orc children raised by followers of Eldath, and eventually formed their own community and culture based on Eldath's teachings.
Dalor Darden Posted - 22 Sep 2020 : 07:02:32
REZ SCROLL

So the Ondonti...pacifist orcs.

How were they made pacifists?
RodOdom Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 04:03:18
Please share !
Reefy Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 00:35:35
I know, it's a great book. I converted some of the deity specific spells from there to 3E, if you're interested. And made a new Initiate feat for her, as I felt the Initiate of Nature was inappropriate.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000