Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Complete Realms Religious Texts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cpthero2 Posted - 09 Nov 2020 : 00:44:01
Good evening Scribes,

I'm seeking to know if any complete religious texts have been completed for any deities of the Forgotten Realms. By complete religious texts, I mean something tantamount to the Christian King James Bible, or something similar, whatever the religion may be.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 22 Nov 2020 : 07:17:17
Great Reader Ayrik,

quote:
The cosmos is all one big food chain, you can choose to be one who eats or you can choose to be one who gets eaten. No need to even write down something so obvious.

If you believe in things trending towards the movie Demolition Man, then that "big food chain" is Taco Bell. ;)

Best regards,

cpthero2 Posted - 22 Nov 2020 : 06:56:22
Great Reader sleyvas,

Ahhhh....nice. If we were meme warring right now on Discord, I would start out with a troll, emerging from a triangular and shadowy mist like area....lol. ;)

Best regards,

Lord Karsus Posted - 11 Nov 2020 : 21:03:41
-Unfortunately, there aren't prayers, either. In my own setting, I was flushing out one of the main faiths and was looking to the Forgotten Realms for some ideas in terms of holy books and prayers, and there's little-to-nothing out there. Even fan-made stuff.
Ayrik Posted - 10 Nov 2020 : 00:27:50
quote:
Leira has a complete religious text that's full of lies. Its humongous. Its called "the Internet". She's really good about putting in occasional truths to make people believe in it. Its not in physical print form however.

A canon composed entirely by apocrypha? A faith founded in firmly believing that nothing can be believed?

I'm a simpler man. Bane for me! The strong are meant to rule the weak. The cosmos is all one big food chain, you can choose to be one who eats or you can choose to be one who gets eaten. No need to even write down something so obvious.
sleyvas Posted - 09 Nov 2020 : 23:36:47
Leira has a complete religious text that's full of lies. Its humongous. Its called "the Internet". She's really good about putting in occasional truths to make people believe in it. Its not in physical print form however.
Ayrik Posted - 09 Nov 2020 : 21:15:04
I think I can answer this question by asking if you can think of any clergy or of any ardent follower of any religion today who is able to go far without referencing inspiration, passages, prayers, and scriptures from their religion's sacred canon. The richer their deity's narrative - and the richer their understanding of it - the more they can strive to follow the written wisdom (and instructions).

More immersion is always better. Yet I'd personally rather focus attention on rounding out everything else in the setting instead of channeling so much into inventing a book-length pseudoreligion. Enjoy exploring the wider landscape instead of getting caught falling into the rabbit holes.
cpthero2 Posted - 09 Nov 2020 : 20:50:08
Great Reader Ayrik,

Actually, there is a followup question I have for you. Do you feel a full religious text, i.e. Tome of Torment would have a purpose in the game for RP'ing a priest, or even just a devout follower, well?

The idea behind the ethic of divine command theory is that you live by those rules, whatever they are. It would seem to add an enormous amount of depth to a character with that kind of background.

Best regards,

cpthero2 Posted - 09 Nov 2020 : 02:42:33
Great Reader Ayrik,

quote:
If you seek some kind of comprehensive in-religion "bible scripture" or "commandments" then you'll likely be disappointed. Many such canons are named in Realmslore - The Red Book Of War, The Cyrinishad, The Book of the Holy Scourge and The Book of Torment, etc - and sometimes passages or tales are "quoted" from them. Many little prayers and axioms can also be gleaned for some of them from characters in novels.

I appreciate the quick response. I was actually hoping that no such text existed. I was pretty confident that there was nothing out there; however, I like to think my momma raised a reasonable man, so I didn't want to assume the whole way...haha.

Thanks, and best regards,

Ayrik Posted - 09 Nov 2020 : 01:18:35
Stuff like Deities and Demigods, Faiths and Pantheons, Faiths and Avatars, and the core Forgotten Realms Campaign Settings are basically the most detailed sources. Along with plenty of faith-specific WotC web supplements, articles in Dungeon and Dragon magazines, etc. A pile of variations for (rule)books of this sort provided in every game edition.

They're typically written from the standpoint of using the deity or the religion in game - rules for playing clerics, priests, paladins, druids, shamans. or other classes who worship the faith. Often including a lot of useful details about vestments, holy days, ceremonies, symbols, the deity's favourite colour and lucky number, things like that.

If you seek some kind of comprehensive in-religion "bible scripture" or "commandments" then you'll likely be disappointed. Many such canons are named in Realmslore - The Red Book Of War, The Cyrinishad, The Book of the Holy Scourge and The Book of Torment, etc - and sometimes passages or tales are "quoted" from them. Many little prayers and axioms can also be gleaned for some of them from characters in novels.

But books such as these have never been written and never been published by WotC. They don't exist outside the Realms. They exceed the mandate and the purpose of the game.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000