Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Collaborative religious artifacts?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Azar Posted - 06 Nov 2020 : 07:13:51
Hello folks.

I was wondering...are there canonical examples of artifacts or even "mundane" magical items produced by two or more cooperating religions working in unison? There is this instrument I want to create, but I first wish to get a sense of how much such a creation would "break" established lore (i.e., the way the faiths interact with one another).
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Arcanamach Posted - 18 Dec 2020 : 11:24:27
Originally posted by Azar

quote:
Fans have expressed a desire for supplements that flesh out less-explored areas of the Realms. While that's a great idea on its own merit, the new material featured in those books would also help to increase foot traffic to the Candlekeep forum. Here's to hoping we see an influx of new members sooner rather than later.

Yes it would be awesome. The problem is they're making plenty of money relatively risk-free with their current model and the designers don't seem motivated to change. They also have legal issues going on right now and there are rumors (I have no idea as to the validity of these rumors, btw) that Hasbro is considering selling parts of WotC. But even without that, it's been clear for years now that there's no motivation to develop the Realms further than the Sword Coast...and it sucks for those of us who are big fans of the setting.

I've dabbled with the idea of creating my own dmsguild (for free/pay what you want) supplements based off what canon we have from earlier editions, but I find such a job daunting without access to at least some of Ed's current ideas on areas I'm interested in. I would want such work to stay as true to the Realms as possible.
Azar Posted - 18 Dec 2020 : 10:40:37
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I was under the impression that these boards would be hopping, given that The Forgotten Realms is the de facto "core" setting of Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition. However, it appears that discussion revolving around the most recent setting canon tends to transpire elsewhere.

The problem is that there really isn't recent setting canon. We get dribs and drabs in the adventure books, and that's it.

Back in the days when novels and sourcebooks came out multiple times a year, and WotC was giving free web content almost daily -- the place was hopping, then.

There's more activity when there's something new to talk about, but given that we get so little of that, anymore, it means activity levels are lower than they were in the past.

Back around, what...2001 to 2007 or so? I may have stopped by here once or twice, but I never created an account. That must have been one hell of a time for the community : a time when this place was more frontier town than ghost town.

Fans have expressed a desire for supplements that flesh out less-explored areas of the Realms. While that's a great idea on its own merit, the new material featured in those books would also help to increase foot traffic to the Candlekeep forum. Here's to hoping we see an influx of new members sooner rather than later.
Azar Posted - 17 Dec 2020 : 13:14:17
quote:
Originally posted by Merlin Monroe

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Learned Scribe Azar,

quote:
2) Agreed as their dogma actually align, which I think is the criteria for this, but agreed.

I want to touch on this specific subject. Dogma takes precedence over Alignment, yes? Usually, there is a strong correlation between Alignment and dogma (e.g., if a god explicitly requires their worshipers to respect life, they're most probably Good), but I imagine there may be the occasional subtle divergence in beliefs that causes two seemingly compatible faiths to quickly break ranks.

I don't believe that there is anything in the rules that specify that, but I believe the commonsense ruling would be yes. In my campaigns I always rule that way. Good would be a broad sense of feeling about things, whereas dogma is literally the rules. Just like in law: go to the more specific for the most controlling rule/law/code, etc.

Best regards,

If we're using Earth as our reference point, syncretisms (not what we're talking about, but related) don't even need an overlap, union, or connection of dogma. It can be as simple as a role played by the two deities (Hermes and Hekate, both psychopomps who lead the dead to the afterlife, result in the Greek magical papyri's Hermekate) or a mood evoked by the two deities (Mercurius was the interpretatio Romano for Odin) or even just a similar poetic title or description (I don't actually have the understanding to say, but I think I recall some of the Afro-Caribbean deities to be Yoruba/Dahomey/Kikongo deities syncretized with Catholic saints on this basis).

This Flute of the Mists is, first of all, awesome and amazing. Second of all, it is based upon the union of an effect desired and an effect created. That is an absolutely perfect and sufficient vasis for something as "small" as the creation of an artifact.

Although, for some reason, I now can't help thinking that graveyards are often places of serenity and peace ~ exactly the kind of mood Eldath is ALL ABOUT. So which of the death-involved deities would syncretize with Eldath to rule the cemetery quiet? Maybe this should be its own thread....

Thank you for chipping in and thank you for the compliment. Whenever I get around to breathing more life into this unusual flute and/or featuring the artifact as part of an actual adventure, I'll be sure to make mention of my work here. My underlying goal is to create something that at least one other person uses...or at least derives inspiration from.

P.S. I'd like to see what you come up with. By the way, Helm (Lawful Neutral god of guardians/protectors) would synchronize quite nicely with Kelemvor; followers of both gods may work together to ensure that cemeteries remain unmolested.
cpthero2 Posted - 10 Dec 2020 : 06:52:29
Acolyte Monroe,

I would think Osiris would be a good pick there as well.

Best regards,

Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 02:58:11
quote:
Originally posted by Merlin Monroe

Although, for some reason, I now can't help thinking that graveyards are often places of serenity and peace ~ exactly the kind of mood Eldath is ALL ABOUT. So which of the death-involved deities would syncretize with Eldath to rule the cemetery quiet? Maybe this should be its own thread....

Kelemvor, because he wants the dead to rest quietly and peacefully.
Merlin Monroe Posted - 07 Dec 2020 : 02:38:36
quote:

Learned Scribe Azar,

quote:
2) Agreed as their dogma actually align, which I think is the criteria for this, but agreed.

I want to touch on this specific subject. Dogma takes precedence over Alignment, yes? Usually, there is a strong correlation between Alignment and dogma (e.g., if a god explicitly requires their worshipers to respect life, they're most probably Good), but I imagine there may be the occasional subtle divergence in beliefs that causes two seemingly compatible faiths to quickly break ranks.

I don't believe that there is anything in the rules that specify that, but I believe the commonsense ruling would be yes. In my campaigns I always rule that way. Good would be a broad sense of feeling about things, whereas dogma is literally the rules. Just like in law: go to the more specific for the most controlling rule/law/code, etc.

Best regards,

If we're using Earth as our reference point, syncretisms (not what we're talking about, but related) don't even need an overlap, union, or connection of dogma. It can be as simple as a role played by the two deities (Hermes and Hekate, both psychopomps who lead the dead to the afterlife, result in the Greek magical papyri's Hermekate) or a mood evoked by the two deities (Mercurius was the interpretatio Romano for Odin) or even just a similar poetic title or description (I don't actually have the understanding to say, but I think I recall some of the Afro-Caribbean deities to be Yoruba/Dahomey/Kikongo deities syncretized with Catholic saints on this basis).

This Flute of the Mists is, first of all, awesome and amazing. Second of all, it is based upon the union of an effect desired and an effect created. That is an absolutely perfect and sufficient vasis for something as "small" as the creation of an artifact.

cpthero2 Posted - 26 Nov 2020 : 08:12:04
Learned Scribe Azar,

quote:
I was under the impression that these boards would be hopping, given that The Forgotten Realms is the de facto "core" setting of Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition. However, it appears that discussion revolving around the most recent setting canon tends to transpire elsewhere.

I can appreciate your point for sure. Master Rupert is correct in what he said below. However, I will say this: what other boards lack in my opinion (though I am not an expert on them) is the deep and broad base of all of the foundational lore. For example, Paul "Snowblood" Simpson, George Krashos, authors that frequent these halls, etc.

The issue, in my opinion these days with 5e is that there really is no lore. So, when you go digging, you find all of the uber lore at places like this, which are from other editions.

I know I am likely going to be lit on fire for suggesting this (I think I hear Master Rupert calling in for a JDAM on me right now), but the older scrolls have massively good stuff in them. I would suggest looking through older stuff that goes to even the founding of Candlekeep. I honestly do not suggest that as a troll, etc., but rather, as a means to reinvigorate conversation. I mean, the Realms is just as much about epic lore as it is community. Point in case. Master Rupert left off his post below with:

quote:
There's more activity when there's something new to talk about, but given that we get so little of that, anymore, it means activity levels are lower than they were in the past.

New in my opinion is relative. New to someone like me who's been playing the Realms since the 80's is pretty rare, as I know it is for someone like Master Rupert. However, new to someone who is just starting up with 5e is a whole new issue there.

By the way Master Rupert, I do not make my recommendation for any reason other than stated to the good Learned Scribe Azar here. I think getting conversations going (especially in the tome of "General Forgotten Realms Chat", which is defined as: This is the main discussion area where anything Realms related can be found. If you wish to talk about anything on the Realms then this is the place!) is a good thing for people new to the Realms. Just my view, nothing more.

Best regards,

cpthero2 Posted - 26 Nov 2020 : 07:50:59
Learned Scribe Azar,

quote:

Best regards,

Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Nov 2020 : 03:54:04
quote:

The problem is that there really isn't recent setting canon. We get dribs and drabs in the adventure books, and that's it.

Back in the days when novels and sourcebooks came out multiple times a year, and WotC was giving free web content almost daily -- the place was hopping, then.

Azar Posted - 26 Nov 2020 : 03:09:49
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

I feel like a black hat that has just wandered into a saloon only to see the patrons suddenly vacate the premises .

I am sure you are not considered a black hat. Though it appears you got caught mixed up with side issues/disagreements of other scribes at candlekeep in this scroll.

Also, it's not uncommon for activity here to go in spurts.

Azar Posted - 26 Nov 2020 : 03:05:32
quote:

Learned Scribe Azar,

quote:
One day, a group of travel-weary Mililans in the area visited the Eldathyns for a bit of respite. After both groups had dined for the evening, the Tuneservants of the divine troupe played gentle melodies as thanks for the generous meal. The Peacemen and Peacewomen found that some of the troubled souls sitting nearby in silent observation responded well to the music played by their guests. Seeing the value in this emotional outlet, they requested that the Mililans make a return trip to instruct their more flexible priests in the ways of music. The eldest of the Mililans agreed to this request and an arrangement was made.

Both branches of their respective faiths came together with such regularity that the Mililans one day decided to permanently post a band of their most introspective members as a gesture of goodwill. Eventually, a potent magical artifact was born from the union of their various efforts: the Mist Flute

Unlike mundane examples of the instrument, this creation is formed from solidified mist. If dispelled, dispersed or otherwise disintegrated, the flute will automatically re-form (depending on the ambient moisture content, this could take anywhere from hours to weeks). Only those of pure thought are able to use the flute to its fullest capacity.

Below are just some of its powers.

• Calm aggressive emotions.

• Quench one's thirst for an entire day.

• Conjure an obscuring mist.

• Summon rain.

• Nullify/absorb magic or magical attacks that involve dehydration and/or heat (such as Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting) A strong enough opposing force causes the enchanted water droplets that compose the flute to fly apart; weaker forces cause a reduction in ability until the flute can fully regenerate.

Thus far, I've tentatively settled on this specimen resembling a shakuhachi; perhaps one of the Mililans is an emigrant from Wa?

That is a pretty amazing magic item. Very powerful. That could allow people to do things in trade and more that would make it an invaluable resource. Very nice!

quote:
As I see it, there are multiple reasons why this works/isn't a bridge too far.

1. There is - to my knowledge - no history of conflict between Eldath and Milil.
2. Both Eldath and Milil are Neutral Good in Alignment; both deities and the core of their worshipers basically believe in doing what's best without bias towards either restructuring or deconstructing the world...or at least their milieu.
3. While Milil isn't explicitly devoted to pacifism the way Eldath is, he's more of a lover than a fighter (he prefers to make music and to encourage others to find their own creativity through poetry and song). Also, his avatar has the ability to make others in his presence feel at peace.
4. The artifact in question is purely defensive. Yes, a devious enough mind could no doubt find a way to pervert its intention, but it is much more difficult to misuse a creation not designed for violence or domination.

1) As far as I know, that is correct indeed!

3) Agreed.

4) Good point.

Best regards,

cpthero2 Posted - 15 Nov 2020 : 18:21:40
Learned Scribe Azar,

quote:
One day, a group of travel-weary Mililans in the area visited the Eldathyns for a bit of respite. After both groups had dined for the evening, the Tuneservants of the divine troupe played gentle melodies as thanks for the generous meal. The Peacemen and Peacewomen found that some of the troubled souls sitting nearby in silent observation responded well to the music played by their guests. Seeing the value in this emotional outlet, they requested that the Mililans make a return trip to instruct their more flexible priests in the ways of music. The eldest of the Mililans agreed to this request and an arrangement was made.

Both branches of their respective faiths came together with such regularity that the Mililans one day decided to permanently post a band of their most introspective members as a gesture of goodwill. Eventually, a potent magical artifact was born from the union of their various efforts: the Mist Flute

Unlike mundane examples of the instrument, this creation is formed from solidified mist. If dispelled, dispersed or otherwise disintegrated, the flute will automatically re-form (depending on the ambient moisture content, this could take anywhere from hours to weeks). Only those of pure thought are able to use the flute to its fullest capacity.

• Summon rain.

• Nullify/absorb magic or magical attacks that involve dehydration and/or heat (such as Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting) A strong enough opposing force causes the enchanted water droplets that compose the flute to fly apart; weaker forces cause a reduction in ability until the flute can fully regenerate.

Thus far, I've tentatively settled on this specimen resembling a shakuhachi; perhaps one of the Mililans is an emigrant from Wa?

That is a pretty amazing magic item. Very powerful. That could allow people to do things in trade and more that would make it an invaluable resource. Very nice!

quote:

1. There is - to my knowledge - no history of conflict between Eldath and Milil.
2. Both Eldath and Milil are Neutral Good in Alignment; both deities and the core of their worshipers basically believe in doing what's best without bias towards either restructuring or deconstructing the world...or at least their milieu.
3. While Milil isn't explicitly devoted to pacifism the way Eldath is, he's more of a lover than a fighter (he prefers to make music and to encourage others to find their own creativity through poetry and song). Also, his avatar has the ability to make others in his presence feel at peace.
4. The artifact in question is purely defensive. Yes, a devious enough mind could no doubt find a way to pervert its intention, but it is much more difficult to misuse a creation not designed for violence or domination.

1) As far as I know, that is correct indeed!

3) Agreed.

4) Good point.

Best regards,

Lord Karsus Posted - 15 Nov 2020 : 17:10:32
-Moonblades were cooperative efforts by the Seldarine. The Guardian's Tear was inadvertently created by Mystra and Helm together.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Nov 2020 : 06:07:16
quote:

quote:

I feel like a black hat that has just wandered into a saloon only to see the patrons suddenly vacate the premises .

I am sure you are not considered a black hat. Though it appears you got caught mixed up with side issues/disagreements of other scribes at candlekeep in this scroll.

Also, it's not uncommon for activity here to go in spurts.
Kentinal Posted - 15 Nov 2020 : 05:41:11
Azar I did not see there was much to add to the discussion, I have not been thinking much about artifacts. Though there clearly is the example of two deities sharing a Chosen, so it clearly can make sense that deities could share in making and powering an artifact for goals they all strive for.
Azar Posted - 15 Nov 2020 : 04:57:03
quote:

quote:

Learned Scribe Azar,

I feel you are from a "black hat." I for one greatly appreciate your contributions, discussions, and involvement at the 'Keep.

Best regards,

That's comforting to read. Mostly, I was wondering why the collective brainpower of this forum fell silent upon my submission. If that offering of mine is amateurish pablum or perhaps sacrilegious, I'd prefer to hear it from setting veterans before moving forward.
cpthero2 Posted - 15 Nov 2020 : 04:28:31
Learned Scribe Azar,

quote:

I feel you are from a "black hat." I for one greatly appreciate your contributions, discussions, and involvement at the 'Keep.

Best regards,

Kentinal Posted - 15 Nov 2020 : 04:23:03
quote:

Azar Posted - 15 Nov 2020 : 04:12:23
Azar Posted - 11 Nov 2020 : 00:27:39
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

It's not about such mundane things like two churches getting along well enough to collaborate on fashioning an epic godly item.
From the perspective of a deity that's too binding. Too problematic. It's a permanent reminder of some shared oath or purpose with other deities - who might, as time moves forward - become competitors, adversaries, or even bitter enemies. The deities don't always have choice in the matter, but their little priesthoods and faithfuls aren't positioned (and really shouldn't dare) to impose such restrictions onto the beings they worship.

You raise a fair point...and one I hadn't considered. However, after you read the idea I have kicking around, you may be more inclined to view it as a reasonable addition to a Forgotten Realms campaign. Below is the CliffsNotes version; once my draft is more "refined" than "rough", I may share it here.

quote:
In times past, there was an group of secluded Eldathyn (Eldathyns?) specifically focused on healing the mind. Sadly, there is never a shortage of those scarred by violence and not all scars rest on the skin.

Both branches of their respective faiths came together with such regularity that the Mililans one day decided to permanently post a band of their most introspective members as a gesture of goodwill. Eventually, a potent magical artifact was born from the union of their various efforts: the Mist Flute.

• Summon rain.

--- --- ---

cpthero2 Posted - 07 Nov 2020 : 06:38:09
Learned Scribe Azar,

I want to say it is possible (I could be wrong here though, quite easily) that the Elfblade's were produced by multiple people from different ethnicities of Elves.

Best regards,

Dalor Darden Posted - 07 Nov 2020 : 06:03:47
quote:

Great Reader Darden,

I am indeed happy to know that I did not offend thee! I also concur with you that Learned Scribe Azar's idea was "wonderful"! :)

Best regards,

I didn't mention you in my posted reply to him.
cpthero2 Posted - 07 Nov 2020 : 03:47:31
Great Reader Darden,

I am indeed happy to know that I did not offend thee! I also concur with you that Learned Scribe Azar's idea was "wonderful"! :)

Best regards,

Dalor Darden Posted - 07 Nov 2020 : 00:56:33
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Please don't.

Pardon? Why is this idea I'm considering objectionable?

Your idea is wonderful...my apologies for not being more clear in my earlier post.
cpthero2 Posted - 06 Nov 2020 : 22:07:56
Learned Scribe Azar,

I feel pretty confident in saying that Great Reader Darden was referring to my reference to the Emerald Enclave and Silvanus, being evil. I've had some discussions on the topic in some other scrolls. Great Reader Darden was politely asking me to not engage in it here, to which you saw my response.

Though, Great Reader Darden, if I am incorrect, please do correct me on that. I don't want to put words in your mouth.

Best regards,

Azar Posted - 06 Nov 2020 : 21:44:52
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Please don't.

Pardon? Why is this idea I'm considering objectionable?
cpthero2 Posted - 06 Nov 2020 : 21:32:25
Great Reader Dallison,

I see the reference to it here: https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/home/organisations/the-church-of-myrkul/

Are there any cited sources that demonstrate that in canon by chance? I looked and couldn't find anything, and that is really interesting!

Best regards,

cpthero2 Posted - 06 Nov 2020 : 21:25:21
Great Reader Ayrik,

Here is a link to it: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2195&whichpage=2

I'd love to get your input on it if you're interested!

Best regards,

Gary Dallison Posted - 06 Nov 2020 : 21:11:45
There is an 11 ft long sword buried high up in a cliff along the river Sargauth with runes of Bane, Bhaal, Moander, and Myrkul along its blade.
Dalor Darden Posted - 06 Nov 2020 : 21:06:23
quote:

Great Reader Darden,

I only planned to leave it there, only as a point. I'm certain if Great Reader Ayrik were so predisposed, that I could get him to engage me on the other scroll. Which, I would love to do Great Reader Ayrik! :)

I will absolutely endeavor to leave it at just that point, so that the scroll's don't cross contaminate.

Best regards,

There is no point but your own apparent agenda of defining things only as you see them; and a seemingly continuous deep need for others to see it your way as well despite all debate, logic or lack of information to support your stances.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000