Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Return of Old Civilization

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Seethyr Posted - 25 Sep 2020 : 03:22:36
I am aware its an overdone concept, but I love it nevertheless.

The ancient civilization that returns. Imaskar, the Serpent Kingdoms, certainly Netheril. Its been almost as many times as Mystra has croaked.

If you were to pick the next big ancient civilization that makes a comeback what would it be? I have two myself. I think Auppenser needs to come back and somehow bring (or attempt to bring) Jaamdath back with him for one.

The second would be to see the Aearee rise again. Maybe this time they are on a dragon exterminating mission (maybe through some powerful artifact) and a neat adventure would actually be to save the dragons.

What are yours?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 23 Dec 2020 : 22:07:07
Acolyte novaes,

While I think nation-states would watch for a little while, Mulhorand (especially Unther) get beat down for a bit, Thay is just north, and the Shining Lands to the south, without taking into account other nations/regions beyond the two mentioned being understandably alarmed.

Look at the Horde Campaign. Things get ugly enough, everyone gets together and deals with the problem.

Best regards,

novaes Posted - 23 Dec 2020 : 16:57:44
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by novaes

Certainly Imaskar, and all its derivations Alta Imaskar, Deep Imaskar, Anok-Imaskar and as the new Ice Wind Dale adventure apparently made room for time travel, why not return the glorious Imaskari Empire itself?

They just did High Imaskar in 4e, and there are indications that the remnants of that country may have fled into the Raurin, so technically that's already at play without having to do time travel shenanigans. Is it exactly the same? By no means.

That being said, I don't think you need them to come back exactly the same. I also don't think a country that's anti-religion would FIT in Faerun at this time. Even Thay (which was the closest to Imaskari reborn that I can think of) paid homage to the gods (even if the wizards themselves may have lacked respect for priests). My personal take for High Imaskar is that they are no longer cohesive and they have groups that have scattered in all directions. These groups will eventually pursue different goals. Some may ally with remnants of the shadovar. Some may form their own communities in the Raurin. Others may try to infiltrate modern Thay. Some may even go as far afield as the hordelands, kara-tur, the utter east, and Zakhara. For my homebrew, a group of them (numbering maybe a thousand) will have relocated to the Shaar where rumors of an ancient city known as Peleveran is said to have been rebuilt while in Abeir. Given that this city is somewhat an underdark city (it adjoins the surface, but portions of it are caverns), I could possibly even see them reaching out to Deep Imaskar to get additional immigrants.

Oh yes, I almost agree.

In my Campaign, something very similar to what you mentioned happened. The remains of Alta Imaskar fragmented and began to look for their own objectives in various regions of Toril and also in the Plans.
However, there is a small group in Raurin who was contacted by a being who claimed to be sympathetic to the cause of restoring the old Imaskar empire. This entity helped these remnants to create a secret society that requires members to make pacts with all types of patrons, to one day use all their influence and power in an uprising against the Mulani.

This secret society also seeks to convince other imaskari to join the cause. And they seek to explore every corner of Faerun to gain knowledge and power for their mysterious patron.

(Their patron is actually a Deep Imaskari who got 4 of the 7 Imaskarcanas, and one of them, the third, is a key that contains all the ancient Imaskar knowledge about plans and portals. But the big revelation is that this guy is from a time line that passes in the past of Toril in relation to the 5e, in this case it is of some year in which it happens to 3e.)
sleyvas Posted - 23 Dec 2020 : 16:41:00
quote:
Originally posted by novaes

Certainly Imaskar, and all its derivations Alta Imaskar, Deep Imaskar, Anok-Imaskar and as the new Ice Wind Dale adventure apparently made room for time travel, why not return the glorious Imaskari Empire itself?

They just did High Imaskar in 4e, and there are indications that the remnants of that country may have fled into the Raurin, so technically that's already at play without having to do time travel shenanigans. Is it exactly the same? By no means.

That being said, I don't think you need them to come back exactly the same. I also don't think a country that's anti-religion would FIT in Faerun at this time. Even Thay (which was the closest to Imaskari reborn that I can think of) paid homage to the gods (even if the wizards themselves may have lacked respect for priests). My personal take for High Imaskar is that they are no longer cohesive and they have groups that have scattered in all directions. These groups will eventually pursue different goals. Some may ally with remnants of the shadovar. Some may form their own communities in the Raurin. Others may try to infiltrate modern Thay. Some may even go as far afield as the hordelands, kara-tur, the utter east, and Zakhara. For my homebrew, a group of them (numbering maybe a thousand) will have relocated to the Shaar where rumors of an ancient city known as Peleveran is said to have been rebuilt while in Abeir. Given that this city is somewhat an underdark city (it adjoins the surface, but portions of it are caverns), I could possibly even see them reaching out to Deep Imaskar to get additional immigrants.
novaes Posted - 23 Dec 2020 : 16:39:55
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Acolyte novaes,

I think that would be cool, but I feel the sheer amount of purple sand, and a still likely angry pantheon would not be in support of that. haha

Best regards,

Yes, it will not be easy for the Imaskari. But I think there are ways to recover the old domains, perhaps through pacts with entities from the plans and by invoking Tarrasque (with that Icewind Dale scroll), the Mulans would feel more likely to "give in".
cpthero2 Posted - 22 Dec 2020 : 20:47:25
Acolyte novaes,

I think that would be cool, but I feel the sheer amount of purple sand, and a still likely angry pantheon would not be in support of that. haha

Best regards,

novaes Posted - 22 Dec 2020 : 13:33:28
cpthero2 Posted - 09 Nov 2020 : 05:27:46
Seeker Compaste,

What's your favorite part of Jhaamdath, beyond it being a psiocracy of course?

I love the (sadly all too little) lore on the Nikerymath kingdom. Seeing that forest where the Vilhon Reach is now is super cool to me and imagining all that was in it is even more amazing too me. The artifacts and what not must be enormous to discover to this day!

Best regards,

Compaste Posted - 09 Nov 2020 : 05:20:50
Yes it is and for sure I’d be down for some kind of Jhaamdathi reawakening.
cpthero2 Posted - 07 Nov 2020 : 18:51:05
Learned Scribe deserk,

I like your outlook a lot here. I like the idea of some cult or politically/culturally nostalgic group of people want to go back to the "good ole times" and start pushing for cultural adaptation to the old days. Cultures all over the world nostalgically look back for cultural ideas and what not. I think to do that with Jhaamdath would be really cool. That could set up all sorts of great adventuring sessions, campaigns, etc.

Best regards,

cpthero2 Posted - 26 Oct 2020 : 03:17:00
Great Reader Lord Karsus,

Spot on there. I agree with you regarding Anok-Imaskar myself. You know that if that province of Imaskar was worth taking over in the day, there was a great civilization going on then, they just didn't cover that in any of the boxed sets. It was all, stuff "lost in other times", which was really lame. I mean, Imaskar starts in roughly -8350DR and I am to believe that Shou Lung, etc., is all just..... forgotten? haha Right.

Best regards,

Lord Karsus Posted - 26 Oct 2020 : 03:13:47
-Not necessarily civilizations that I'd want to see return, but I would've liked to have seen more on Anok-Imaskar, Solon, and Sharlarion, ancient (pre-Sundering) Ilythiir.
cpthero2 Posted - 25 Oct 2020 : 21:30:17
Senior Scribe Seethyr,

quote:
The ancient civilization that returns. What are yours?

Well, I don't know if this would count perhaps, in the way you may mean it, but I say: Khati.

Kara-Tur just didn't get its due in the origins before areas of Kara-Tur became provinces of the Imaskar.

Best regards,
sleyvas Posted - 25 Sep 2020 : 14:13:23
That's a damn good question, and Jhaamdath does sound interesting.... but at the same time, I feel like it doesn't need to be a return of Jhaamdath, but rather maybe a discovery of ancient Jhaamdath "tech" that awakens a resurgence in the study of psionics. I personally would like to see Auppenser "back" as well (though he's never really been here), and my reasoning for that would be entirely linked to my homebrew stuff that he and other gods of "magic" were involved with restoring Mystra on the Abeir side. In fact, as part of the sundering, it might be interesting if some people on Abeir had reawakened study of psionics in the past century and "suddenly" they're back and bringing their expertise with them... and their knowledge of Auppenser and their HISTORY books about Jhaamdath now allows these people who LITERALLY had no access to ancient Jhaamdath while on Abeir to have accesss to Jhaamdath ruins. You get the best of both worlds, a resurgence without bringing back some "dead" NPC's, and you use the sundering to do it. Perhaps these people were in some city down in the Chondalwood that's "returned" from Abeir. Sound good?

Some other ideas that I think could be fun would be a sudden return of the SPIRITS/TELTHORS of a large number of people of Raumathar in some type of event which needs to be solved (perhaps in relation to the Hidden layer of the Abyss which is merged with the region). In doing so, you don't have to destroy the region as a result of the add, and it could go on for years. Perhaps we find out that Raumathar had a decent knowledge of technology that would make gondsmen jealous (perhaps having stolen knowledge or attracted engineers from Mulhorand). It could also involve Raumathari across "eras" of the Raumathari, because their empire lasted nine hundred years, and its almost like in the beginning they were druids, shamans, and warmages studying the elements, but in the end they were more like artificers and technomages dealing with machinery and constructs. The wychlaran seem to favor the early studies. We do have some hints that they were involved with something of this degree based on things like the Ring of Gray Flames which has artistry that portrays smokestacks going to some kind of great underground factory (almost like Rashemen has a "nuclear" facility of some sort.... though I'd be loathe to see it be nuclear mind you (its overdone), and I'd much prefer some concept like they've got bound fire elementals or entities involved with lightning or something similar processing something.... perhaps even something left over from the orcgate wars that's full of energy).

I'd also find it interesting to have a culture like the Aearee fleshed out and not be "returning" so much as "never left". Its just they've been involved in their area and perhaps somehow they were contained to it. We've already had something similar with the Phaerimm not being able to leave anauroch, so what if the Aearee had been confined to the island to the west of Anchorome (but they had SERVANTS in the form of aarakocra, etc... that were ON Anchorome). Whereas it was the Phaerimm were confined by the sharn behind the Sharnwall, perhaps the Aearee were confined behind a "dragonwall" created by dragons in some epic ritual of magic. Perhaps even said "epic ritual" was cast by the dragons at the Hill of Seven Lost Gods (with it acting like a dragonfont), and something is done there in Faerun that's weakened said dragonwall (i.e. the dragons had to put down some ritual stone ring to mirror the wall surrounding the Aearee and someone digs up a portion, or breaks into some tomb below it, etc... or maybe they disturb the bones of the dragon which gave its life to create the wall, etc...).

On a more minor scale, I'd love to see the empire of the necromancer kings see something of a resurgence down in Zakhara from the isle of Sahu. Basically, I'd love to see the lich Vermissa freed. However, instead of worshipping Thasmudyan, a ghoulish god with links to worms, etc... I'd love to find out that she had originally served the goddess Ereshkigal (there's a city called the ruins of Ereshkigal on the isle of Sahu). I'd love it if Vermissa had been like Fzoul and simply been forced to switch worship because Thasmudyan had done something to her goddess, but now Ereshkigal is returned (possibly by taking out Thasmudyan). Having Vermissa also be a mage-priest that's a lich instead of just a straight class makes sense to me, as she was training necromancers in her imprisonment. The resurgence of this empire would obviously be one of undead (ghostly and corporeal). I know its not original mind you, but I think it would make a good storyline down in Zakhara (especially if something were done where Sahu had gone to Abeir, and perhaps even gotten involved with the Eminence of Araunt while on Abeir).

deserk Posted - 25 Sep 2020 : 09:29:38
I think it would be more interesting if contemporary factions attempted to rebuild the old empires, rather than there being a time-travelling/time-frozen bunch of ancients who conveniently decided to return or wake up at this era. Also it gives room for them to misinterpret the values and beliefs of these ancient civilizations.

Though the Netherese have been back since 3rd edition, I think it would have been cool if some of the local Bedine tribes stumbling upon the ruins and wonders of the lost age of Netheril might become so enamoured by the things they saw that some would attempt to imitate this ancient society, whereas others would be vehemently against such imitation when many believe the hubris of the Netherese mages is what brought low it's empire and turned it's land into the desert waste it is today.
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Sep 2020 : 07:45:55
I would like to see the civilization that built the Citadel of the Raven. See how they mesh with the Zhents and folk of the Ride.

Almost as much I would love to see the dwarves reclaim Tethyamar! I ran a campaign where the party reclaimed it. It became a strong realm with Daggerdale as a protectorate realm. The parties elven ranger founded a small but militant elf realm in the Border Forest too. Allied with Shadowdale and Cormyr it was a fun game.
louis_bowwow Posted - 25 Sep 2020 : 05:24:03
So many to choose from. The more exotic ones appeal to me.

I would like to see the return of the Ruined Kingdoms down in Zakhara. Nog, Kadar and Sahu. Geomancers vs necromancers sounds exciting.

The others I would like to see returned would be the mountain spirit folk of Guge in Kara Tur or the Maraloi in the Ama Basin. Both were only briefly mentioned in sourcebooks, but they sounded interesting.

If I had to pick something in Faerun, The genie kingdoms in Calimshan or I would want to see the return of the batrachi. Bring back the slimey overlords!
Seethyr Posted - 25 Sep 2020 : 04:49:41
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

What was that ancient Jotun civilization called?

Or that ancient djinn/genie civilization?

Ostoria! Yeah, I love that one as well.
Ayrik Posted - 25 Sep 2020 : 03:47:48
What was that ancient Jotun civilization called?

Or that ancient djinn/genie civilization?
keftiu Posted - 25 Sep 2020 : 03:44:55
The High Imaskari need to get some attention before we do anything else, but I’d be down for some kind of Jhaamdathi reawakening.
PattPlays Posted - 25 Sep 2020 : 03:24:41
I'm down with seeing more of the Aearee. They had their hands in so many things that became relevant far after their fall. I especially would want to bring an ancient of their people to the present to ask them about their Tripartite Sun God philosophies and show them the dual-existence of Lathander and Anaumator, and to see what they think about Shar.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000