Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faerun's Magic Heavy Regions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ralf Posted - 18 Oct 2020 : 20:58:25
Hey folks, how d'you do?

I'm currently preparing for a new campaign, and my players mentioned they'd like a place where there's a lot of magic. I can think of Waterdeep and Cormyr as such places. I believe there's also Halruaa and Thay. Any other regions of Faerun where magic is more common?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 22 Oct 2020 : 20:14:58
Seeker Khorvaen,

I would imagine that Luthcheq is pretty low on the magic scale, but at least they are keeping warm at night if any wizards do roll into town. lol

Best regards,

sleyvas Posted - 22 Oct 2020 : 14:29:27
quote:
Originally posted by Mrestos Khorvaen

On the other side of the bed... Are there low magic areas? I've read somewhere the Weave is "thinner" in areas with little population.

Narfell has few wizards. Vaasa had few wizards prior to 4e. Thar has few spellcasters. There's a lot of such as well.
Mrestos Khorvaen Posted - 22 Oct 2020 : 13:18:22
On the other side of the bed... Are there low magic areas? I've read somewhere the Weave is "thinner" in areas with little population.
cpthero2 Posted - 20 Oct 2020 : 22:43:31
Acolyte Ralf,

I think the Shining South (apart from Halruaa) is often overlooked for magic heaviness. Durpar, Var the Golden, and Estagund are great for magic. That is an almost absolute capitalist form of economy down in that area, and with it being near the equator, and other issues as well, magic is very present down in that region.

Best regards,

sleyvas Posted - 20 Oct 2020 : 16:02:22
that's a good point.... anywhere with a mythal. Evermeet of course has unicorns that have rainbow poop.
Starshade Posted - 20 Oct 2020 : 15:13:41
Myth Nantar, Sea of fallen stars. An Sea elven city, with a mythal making surface dwellers breathe underwater. Sea elven and surface Elf citizens. Home of an order of mages, the Dukar.
PattPlays Posted - 20 Oct 2020 : 03:01:11
Lantan is a blank slate following the second sundering. If you want some arcane-forward-thinking civilization not obsessed explicitly in the ways of wizards, the holy artificers of Lantan might be a fun place to explore as a DM. Their more secretive modern portrayal is just pleading to be DM fodder, go nuts there.

Also, in the great glacier and the lands Nar have ancient obsessions with Demon-binders and similar evil conjurative arts.
sleyvas Posted - 19 Oct 2020 : 15:15:32
If you're looking for a place where mages are exalted, then its mainly Halruaa and Thay. There's also Nimbral, which has strong ties to illusions and fey.

However, there's several other magic heavy places where the country itself isn't all about exalting the mages as leaders.

Calimshan has a lot of spellcasters as well, and they consider themselves very culturally superior and have a lot of minor magic items floating about (things like a frying pan that heats up, a fan that moves on its own, a cup that becomes ice cold, etc....). In some ways they're very similar to Thay, but with less of a concept that their leaders should inherently be mages (they often are mind you, going back to the Shoon, less so currently). Mulmaster has its mind mages and also has a significant Thayan presence.

Samarach is a country with ties to magical illusion, but its also very secretive... just how magical they are... can't say. They're kind of like an evil-light version of Nimbral.

Lord Karsus Posted - 18 Oct 2020 : 23:07:10
-Also depends on what year.
Dalor Darden Posted - 18 Oct 2020 : 21:45:19
It really depends on if you mean simply more commonplace or more powerful?

Cormyr has magic, but there are not many displays...where Thay has common display AND powerful magic.

One of my favorite places is the Moonsea where the Zhentarim wizards do not hold back and make excellent villains...just don't make them morons and it is more fun.

Faerun is heavy in magic though, and you can pretty much have as much as you want wherever you are.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000