Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Baldur’s Gate 3 in Early Access!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
keftiu Posted - 07 Oct 2020 : 01:37:01
Surprised there’s no thread up about this.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 04 Nov 2020 : 23:11:34
Seeker Azar,

Well, I really like how you phrased it though. I've seen some family members who choose not to thrive intellectually go down that very path as they age. I very much hope to avoid that!

Best regards,

Azar Posted - 04 Nov 2020 : 14:42:07
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Seeker Azar,

quote:
Thank you. A closed mind is a fortress under siege: indomitable until it starves from within.

You are more than welcome good sir. That is a fantastic quote as well. Is that yours? :)

Best regards,

Yes, to the best of my knowledge, I thought of it on my own. That said, the general sentiment is most probably ages old and I wouldn't be at all taken aback to discover that a similar adage has already been coined.
cpthero2 Posted - 02 Nov 2020 : 23:51:39
Seeker Azar,

quote:
Thank you. A closed mind is a fortress under siege: indomitable until it starves from within.

You are more than welcome good sir. That is a fantastic quote as well. Is that yours? :)

Best regards,

Azar Posted - 02 Nov 2020 : 23:28:59
Master of Realmslore cpthero2 ,

(It's nice to know that even I can occasionally roll a 20.)
cpthero2 Posted - 31 Oct 2020 : 01:54:33
Seeker Azar,

quote:
Time is the fertilizer for expectation.

That is simply a fantastic quote! I am keeping that.

Best regards,

Azar Posted - 30 Oct 2020 : 20:29:53
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:
Originally posted by Qilintha

It wasn't referred to anyone in particular, and I don't mind comparison on something worth to be compared : story,companions, bantering, feeling of the realms, plot, grasp of the source materials. Compare those. But complaining about gameplay or graphics things that are due to evolve because of the 20 years that have passed from original games and new games it's... sort of dumb. You can complain about the Star Wars prequel all you want but the special effects are amazing, the duels are incredible compared to the original trilogy thanks to the new technologies. However storywise they shift from boring to make no sense, Some characters are terribly written ( looking at you Jar Jar) . Complain about those not about Yoda is not a ragged old puppet/animatron but a CGI effect in the prequels. That's my point. Baldur's gate 3 can be like the Star Wars prequels or it can be Star Trek: Next generation compared to original Star Trek.

My suggestion is: first enjoy the game as it is...make comparison afterwards. Because if you play it with the purpose of comparing everything, aiming to dislike every innovation they put, you are ruining it for yourself.

-Different strokes for different folks. I am a big fan of the Shining series, a tactical RPG series from the early-to-mid-90s. In the 2000s, a new company bought the IP and started making new Shining games, but the game play was completely different; it went from being a tactical RPG to an action adventure game. It doesn't help things that the new games basically had nothing to do with the old ones in terms of plots, locations, or characters, but even if they did, I still might not be too interested in them because of the genre switch. Another series I like, Fallout, that was a major thing that cause a big fracture in the fanbase; the older games were isometric RPGs and the newer ones are 1st/3rd person shooter RPGs.

Time is the fertilizer for expectation. Some of us have waited nearly two decades in the hopes that a worthy successor would emerge...our standards are now at those celestial heights found only in dreams. I do not want to discount the fact that there are people in the same boat that have embraced Larian's attempt, but, all the same...the longer the wait, the greater the fall.
cpthero2 Posted - 30 Oct 2020 : 17:36:28
Great Reader Lord Karsus,

SEGA was really awesome. It is too bad it didn't keep going. Some of their games were way ahead of their time, and to this day, my most favorite of all (I know, likely a lot of gasps here) was Sonic. I loved that game when it hit the market!

Best regards,

Lord Karsus Posted - 30 Oct 2020 : 15:44:19
-Yep. The first couple on the Genesis, a couple on the GameGear and one on the Saturn. After the Dreamcast flopped and Sega stopped making their own consoles, the games have been on the different Nintendo and Playstation systems- to much less acclaim and impact of the originals, to the point I didn't know half of them even existed without seeing a list on Wikipedia.
cpthero2 Posted - 30 Oct 2020 : 15:30:51
Great Reader Lord Karsus,

Wow, I haven't even heard Shining for a video game since I was in high school! haha Wasn't that on SEGA?

Best regards,

Lord Karsus Posted - 30 Oct 2020 : 00:43:23
quote:

It wasn't referred to anyone in particular, and I don't mind comparison on something worth to be compared : story,companions, bantering, feeling of the realms, plot, grasp of the source materials. Compare those. But complaining about gameplay or graphics things that are due to evolve because of the 20 years that have passed from original games and new games it's... sort of dumb. You can complain about the Star Wars prequel all you want but the special effects are amazing, the duels are incredible compared to the original trilogy thanks to the new technologies. However storywise they shift from boring to make no sense, Some characters are terribly written ( looking at you Jar Jar) . Complain about those not about Yoda is not a ragged old puppet/animatron but a CGI effect in the prequels. That's my point. Baldur's gate 3 can be like the Star Wars prequels or it can be Star Trek: Next generation compared to original Star Trek.

My suggestion is: first enjoy the game as it is...make comparison afterwards. Because if you play it with the purpose of comparing everything, aiming to dislike every innovation they put, you are ruining it for yourself.

-Different strokes for different folks. I am a big fan of the Shining series, a tactical RPG series from the early-to-mid-90s. In the 2000s, a new company bought the IP and started making new Shining games, but the game play was completely different; it went from being a tactical RPG to an action adventure game. It doesn't help things that the new games basically had nothing to do with the old ones in terms of plots, locations, or characters, but even if they did, I still might not be too interested in them because of the genre switch. Another series I like, Fallout, that was a major thing that cause a big fracture in the fanbase; the older games were isometric RPGs and the newer ones are 1st/3rd person shooter RPGs.
cpthero2 Posted - 29 Oct 2020 : 04:18:40
Seeker Qilintha,

quote:
It wasn't referred to anyone in particular

Gotcha. I just wasn't sure if you were meaning for someone specific to answer or not. Thanks for clarifying.

quote:
and I don't mind comparison on something worth to be compared

I can certainly appreciate your perspectives there.

quote:

Not a bad suggestion. I know I am going to give it another (30) hours or so of game play and truly give it a chance. I mean hell, I already paid for it. haha

Best regards,

Azar Posted - 29 Oct 2020 : 00:31:26
quote:

For the record, my stance on the exact mechanics of the gameplay's pacing (Real-Time With Pauses versus Turn-Based) is neutral: neither praise nor condemnation. I do think high-quality prerendered backgrounds age better than even the best (of their time) three-dimensional graphics, but this aspect of Larian's attempt isn't a dealbreaker for me. Everything else just feels off...the same way a doppelganger feels off that moment you start noticing the discrepancies in their performance.
Qilintha Posted - 28 Oct 2020 : 23:50:03

cpthero2 Posted - 28 Oct 2020 : 05:49:39
Seeker Azar,

Yeah, the name makes it to where it is practically impossibru (at least for me) to avoid the comparisons. I completely feel you there.

Best regards,

Azar Posted - 28 Oct 2020 : 05:23:58
quote:

We are talking about a gameplay 20 years old...that doesn't have a lot of success now. If Baldur's Gate was its gameplay...then you don't value that game enough. About the spam endemic, I agree, it's early access hope they tune it down a little, but it's a challenging game packed with stuff. It's playing D&D, you have unprecedented freedom, compared to any other game. It's called Bg3 because it links back to the previous two. In one year with full game we'll find out how. Meanwhile for me it's Baldur's Gate brought into present era. If you really need to compare the games with nostalgia googles, I feel it's your loss, you're missing an incredible time.

Rose-tinted spectacles or no, comparisons cannot be avoided; both this attempt by Larian and the games of old share a name.
cpthero2 Posted - 28 Oct 2020 : 04:58:56
Seeker Qilintha,

Apologies, but for clarification: was that a general response, or directed at someone specific? I just wanted to make sure if it was directed at me that I respond to you directly. I certainly do not want to be rude. :)

Best regards,

Qilintha Posted - 28 Oct 2020 : 02:32:03
We are talking about a gameplay 20 years old...that doesn't have a lot of success now. If Baldur's Gate was its gameplay...then you don't value that game enough. About the spam endemic, I agree, it's early access hope they tune it down a little, but it's a challenging game packed with stuff. It's playing D&D, you have unprecedented freedom, compared to any other game. It's called Bg3 because it links back to the previous two. In one year with full game we'll find out how. Meanwhile for me it's Baldur's Gate brought into present era. If you really need to compare the games with nostalgia googles, I feel it's your loss, you're missing an incredible time.
cpthero2 Posted - 27 Oct 2020 : 01:39:26
Seeker Azar,

Indeed. It is also an issue of having big shoes to fill. I watched an interview with some staff from The Phantom Menace who said that had it been another film, it would not have been a big deal, but the sheer magnitude of everything that exists around the Star Wars universe, also exists for the Realms followers. We are really into our Realms! haha

Best regards,

Azar Posted - 26 Oct 2020 : 18:08:42
Yeah. Again, I think there would have been less hullabaloo had this game been marketed under another title/intellectual property. I've seen this happen with way too many franchises, video game or otherwise; what could be a decent (or better) experience is shoehorned into an established franchise for marketing purposes.
cpthero2 Posted - 26 Oct 2020 : 09:14:13
Learned Scribe BlackAce,

I try not to compare, but it is hard. I feel I need to give it a legitimate chance before I fire it (especially after spending $60.00! haha).

Best regards,

BlackAce Posted - 26 Oct 2020 : 08:35:16
So far I'm enjoying it, but I get why a lot of old school BG fans are disappointed.

It's really a Neverwinter Nights 3 that's been heavily influenced by Dragon Age: Origins rather than a true BG3. There's precious little connective tissue to the gameplay of the old Infinite engine games, and it has all the AoE spam endemic to DoS2.
cpthero2 Posted - 23 Oct 2020 : 22:48:25
Senior Scribe keftiu,

I've played about (10) hours of this so far, and it isn't bad. I am on the fence, but I know I need to give it some more hours before I feel I can really say for sure whether it is good or not. Just my first impression.

Best regards,

Qilintha Posted - 16 Oct 2020 : 14:48:00
Honestly Forgotten Lore wise I am extremely pleased ^^ From tomes to the locations there is a lot of material, won't go into details because I don't want to make spoilers.

Azar, maybe for original games purist it might be a little "off" tonally, I hear that complaint a lot, especially from people that haven't played it...and I wonder what it means. Graphic wise? This game brings BG into the present era,it looks AMAZING. Music? Soundtrack is great, with some moments actually moving.Like this tiefling song -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KMuHNX2TBI Forgotten Lore: There is a lot to unpack as mentioned early. Story? It starts off well enough. Gameplay? Besides the few needed tweaks from it being an EA It may not be a BG game but it's a D&D game. I've never played any RPG game where I had that much freedom, both during combat than ( especially) outside combat. Add to that Larian's ability to build game puzzles and you have some challenging moments. Companions? They are interesting, some more than others obviously , my main complaint is that there might be less than in the original games, but we'll see. It's one thing I hope Larian will listen ( Some are saying they are raising to 25 companions and 10 origin characters...if that's true then I am satisfied).
Azar Posted - 16 Oct 2020 : 02:44:21
There will likely be a character or two from earlier games that can be pointed to in order to make the argument "See, it really is Baldur's Gate!" even though the rest of the game will likely be "off" tonally.
Matt James Posted - 16 Oct 2020 : 01:20:35
I don't have a lot of time into the pre-release yet, but it's good so far. I have learned to manage my expectations in terms of Forgotten Realms lore, but overall it isn't a flop. There are some game play issues, but those will mostly get sorted before release.
Qilintha Posted - 15 Oct 2020 : 21:24:35
It honestly depends on the producer XD I have followed the streams and news from this game since it was announced and I am a fan of other Larian games so I might be biased however from their youtube videos it's clear that they are having Fun making this game. This was their first community update, on how Larian persuaded Wizards to make BG3 , it's hilarious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI4v6hC_rjM

About early access Larian did EA on all their games and put that formula to a big success, only reason why I bought it honestly.
Demzer Posted - 15 Oct 2020 : 17:26:22
quote:

... word from the producers.

Does anyone still believe what producers say?

I'm kidding, seems like it would be fun to play, but I'll personally wait for there to be more comprehensive reviews and the game to be at it's "live" status.

I hope whatever Early Access feedback is gathered is put to good use.
Qilintha Posted - 15 Oct 2020 : 17:05:51
Well few hours of beta (25h in a single playthrough) can give you a clear idea of gameplay, graphics,soundtrack, bantering with companions, story incipits, quests,sidequests,difficulty, versatility ,reactions of the world from your actions.

There are 5 companions at EA and two of them don't hate you if you're a good character( Personally besides one that it's a true pain, none of them hates me...everyone in my party is neutral or slightly above that), there is a lot bantering, with you, among companions and there also chats while in camp before a long rest. The story as I've written tons of times should have direct connections with the original games, word from the producers.
If the story won't be connected somehow I'll be sort of disappointed as well.
Demzer Posted - 15 Oct 2020 : 16:07:04
Well I think that a few hours of a beta version should hardly be enough to judge the merits of any RPG worth of this title but people can certainly make out patterns as to what to expect in the full game.

The Nevewinter Nights series was disjointed starting with the expansions of the first title. It was understood that the series was about "random" adventurers in the North of Faerun with ties to the city of Neverwinter. The main character has nothing too special about themselves that trascends the confines of any one title in the series (notable exception, going only from memory, is of course the transition NWN2 --> Mask of the Betrayer, but that's two titles out of ... 6?).

The Baldur's Gate series was in the reverse situation before the Enhanced Edition, with 4 titles connected and about the same story and 2 titles separated (but notice how they didn't name Dark Alliance as Baldur's Gate #. So after the Enhanced Edition repolish of the two "main" titles, a game called Baldur's Gate 3 made people think it's a sequel of sorts to the story of the Bhaalspawn.

So yeah, if the story is completely different and doesn't involve anything of BG1 and BG2 (and their expansions) then calling it BG3 is a misnomer and will p**s off a lot of people. Me included. But for now I don't think there is enough out there to say it (haven't checked and don't want to check spoilers ... yet).

Regarding the darker atmosphere (tough moral choices, general nastiness, troubled backgrounds, sensitive themes) it's a thing in fantasy now so whatever. I mean BG1 and 2 had plenty of very bad things and lots of innocent deaths and stuff like that but the means of communications (i.e. the graphics) were not advanced enough that they were not as "in your face" as modern renditions.

I get the complain on the party members though, even if it's just the start, if *everyone* you meet is out to get you then it gets old fast and loses all the appeal. So going by the first impressions reported 3/3 (temporary?) companions hate you, not a good track record for the game but we shall see.

I just hope there will be the party interactions and banter of the good old times (BG games, Planescape: Torment including the random party chats like in the elevators of Mass Effect).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Oct 2020 : 14:26:54
Sweet mother of Lurue, people, can't we keep these discussions -- and attacks -- elsewhere?

It's bad enough dealing with the politics in the news and on Facebook. Keep it away from here.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000