Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Calimshan Campaign Guide

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Seethyr Posted - 26 Jan 2020 : 23:46:45
I haven’t purchased this yet but the preview seems rather exceptional in quality. I think I might pick it up, though I do wish it had a dead tree version.

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/301438
29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Brimstone Posted - 17 Sep 2020 : 03:42:04
Can we get back to the topic at hand? Argue via PM's.

On topic I still need to get this. I would like to be able to print this.
Dalor Darden Posted - 16 Sep 2020 : 23:40:21
I didn't attack you, I rightly pointed out that you were a naysayer about a product:

"person who criticizes, objects to, or opposes something"

You were offering your criticism of a product; and I called out the fact that you did so in a backhanded manner that had a net effect of saying that a well made product isn't in fact a 5e Forgotten Realms setting product when it most certainly is.

Further, you have now lavishly praised your own work:

"As for my product, it was just as much a labor of love as this author's product. I made my own maps, created my own monsters, created reasons for the characters to be there, incorporated longstanding NPCs, and created a storyline that fits in with the canon of the region."

To which NOBODY has said you didn't.

You are instead continuing to exhibit a fragility of ego with the textbook result that you are taking most of what others are saying on a personal level while being unable to acknowledge that you in truth wrote a scathing review of a product that you apparently did NOT read.

You have called me many names, including "idiot" which you then removed to replace with hypocrite...as well as telling others to "shut up" because you didn't like what they were writing.

So lets lay this out: I did not attack YOU, but I did take exception with your biased review of someone else's product at a time when your own product was posted.

You posted your product at 21:39 hours and then your "review" of another product located in the exact same location of the Realms at 22:05 hours.

You may not have the acuity to recognize your own bias as written; but I did see it and pointed it out.

Your assertion that Wooly and I are in some sort of cahoots is ludicrous on its face; and again childish at its core. Simply because he disagrees with you on ONE point and I disagree on ANOTHER does not mean we are ganging up on you...your seeing that does again loudly proclaim your fragility however.

I rarely engage people this way; but your continued insistence that I have wronged you is founded on the very common modern pretense of: "They don't agree with me, so they are bad!" which is horribly egocentric...and I don't allow people to pigeonhole me into some definition of an individual that I am not.

Again (and obviously now) you may not see that your compliments were biased and backhanded on this product; but they were in fact just that...no matter your intention.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Sep 2020 : 23:34:12
I expressed no confusion nor used any emojis.

I am not chuckling at any comments.

And I did not say your product could be badly written because others were; I said that we could not assume a product was researched just because it was there. I never spoke at all of your product until there was a link for me to know what it was, at which time I expressed interest in it.

I have no actions in this discussion to take responsibility for, and I should very much prefer not to have actions assigned to me.
DoveArrow Posted - 16 Sep 2020 : 22:40:27
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

DoveArrow created:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23678

Looks promising, I just haven't read it yet.

Apparently he feels we have attacked his product...but nobody has.

You didn't attack my product. You attacked me. You suggested that my review of the product was biased because I pointed out rightly that this product does not include stuff that happened after the Spellplague. You seem to think that because I did my own research and produced my own product, that makes me somehow biased and opinionated. You think that it's okay to make snippy little insults about me, calling me a naysayer and accusing me of engaging in edition wars, and then acting all innocent and pretending like you have no idea why I'm upset and that those insulting comments you made are okay. It's particularly infuriating because there is a moderator right here chuckling at your comments, talking with you about me like I'm not here, telling me that my product could be badly written because others are, and pretending like your comments are not in violation of the Code of Conduct of these forums.

I was perfectly polite until you started insulting me. I responded to Wooly Rupert's comments about the Second Sundering without any feeling that he was attacking me and even acknowledged that it's possible that some of the things in Calimshan could have reverted. Now you're sitting here heckling me and Wooly Rupert is sending you little winking emojis, and you're both now expressing confusion about why I'm upset. It's infuriating.

That is why I'm upset. You think that I crossed some sort of line and neither of you are willing to take any responsibility for your own actions. And Wooly Rupert seems to think that's fine. So you two go back to being like, "Oh gee, I don't know why he's so upset. Edition war naysayers, am I right? " I'm really very much done with this conversation.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Sep 2020 : 22:10:32
quote:

DoveArrow created:

Ah. I know I eyeballed that one, but I've been a little too free with money, of late, so I've not yet purchased it.
Dalor Darden Posted - 16 Sep 2020 : 20:51:42
DoveArrow created:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Sep 2020 : 20:43:17
quote:
Originally posted by DoveArrow

Okay, you know what guys? I made a comment letting the OP know my thoughts on the supplement. I was very glowing in my review and objective in my opinion. I did not expect to get insulted and harassed for voicing said opinion. Nobody else in this thread is getting slapped for saying what they thought of the product. I don't know why you think it's okay to do it to me.

As for my product, it was just as much a labor of love as this author's product. I made my own maps, created my own monsters, created reasons for the characters to be there, incorporated longstanding NPCs, and created a storyline that fits in with the canon of the region. I don't know why you feel it's okay to insult my writing and my research without even reading what I've written, but feel it necessary to defend this author's material without reading what he's written.

If you want to smack people around for what they've written, buy their products and read them. Otherwise, shut up. Good day.

I've not seen anyone attack your product; I've not even seen a title to know what your product is.

All I've said is that we do not have current information on the area and that having something on the DM's Guild is not proof it was researched.
Dalor Darden Posted - 16 Sep 2020 : 20:24:53
I don't play coy.

Your continued inability to discern the fact that your personal view on the product in re. the bias you carried into that review (in favor of your own product) shows me that it was you that didn't read the product you were reviewing well enough to see that the creator did in fact consider the 4e timeline.

You may think your review was glowing, but my opinion is that your bias toward your own product led you to disqualify this product (which I have read) as not being a 5e product. It certainly is.

Additionally, telling people to "shut up" is childlike and completely erodes any credibility you have.

EDIT: at least you changed the word "idiot" to "hypocrite" to smooth your image. Didn't work.
DoveArrow Posted - 16 Sep 2020 : 20:11:00
quote:

quote:

quote:

Your intentions, while I am sure you think were good, were rather backhanded. Your intended praise for the product actually devalues it completely by flat out saying it isn't a current product...which is to say it isn't for 5th Edition Forgotten Realms.

I'm sure you aren't a bad person...but your delivery is rather withering to be frank.

EDIT: In fact you ignored what MT said in his earlier post before yours:

"There were some challenges in the history trying to account for everything that happened in 4e and then having it all kinda "reset" for 5e, but feedback suggests I was able to smooth that all together."

I didn't ignore it. I didn't see it. And frankly, your little snide comment about naysaying another person's product is far more snarky and insulting than my comment saying that the person did not look at any material that was post-Spellplague when creating his product. So don't try to tell me what is proper etiquette and protocol. You look like a hypocrite.

Snide? Snarky? Insulting?

I said:

"Your intentions, while I am sure you think were good, were rather backhanded. Your intended praise for the product actually devalues it completely by flat out saying it isn't a current product...which is to say it isn't for 5th Edition Forgotten Realms.

I'm sure you aren't a bad person...but your delivery is rather withering to be frank."

Didn't I say that what you said had good intentions?

I guess I wasn't straightforward enough...

What you didn't see in my writing is that I actually did to you exactly what you did to the creator of this product: I praised you while at the same time being backhanded in my compliment by then criticizing you.

It didn't feel good did it?

That was sarcasm.

Don't play coy. Your comment was, "Others naysaying a product when their own product says something different is another matter." That is insulting and demeaning.
Dalor Darden Posted - 16 Sep 2020 : 20:07:23
quote:

quote:

Your intentions, while I am sure you think were good, were rather backhanded. Your intended praise for the product actually devalues it completely by flat out saying it isn't a current product...which is to say it isn't for 5th Edition Forgotten Realms.

I'm sure you aren't a bad person...but your delivery is rather withering to be frank.

"There were some challenges in the history trying to account for everything that happened in 4e and then having it all kinda "reset" for 5e, but feedback suggests I was able to smooth that all together."

I didn't ignore it. I didn't see it. And frankly, your little snide comment about naysaying another person's product is far more snarky and insulting than my comment saying that the person did not look at any material that was post-Spellplague when creating his product. So don't try to tell me what is proper etiquette and protocol. You look like a hypocrite.

Snide? Snarky? Insulting?

I said:

"Your intentions, while I am sure you think were good, were rather backhanded. Your intended praise for the product actually devalues it completely by flat out saying it isn't a current product...which is to say it isn't for 5th Edition Forgotten Realms.

I'm sure you aren't a bad person...but your delivery is rather withering to be frank."

Didn't I say that what you said had good intentions?

I guess I wasn't straightforward enough...

What you didn't see in my writing is that I actually did to you exactly what you did to the creator of this product: I praised you while at the same time being backhanded in my compliment by then criticizing you.

It didn't feel good did it?

That was sarcasm.
DoveArrow Posted - 16 Sep 2020 : 19:59:29
quote:

DoveArrow Posted - 16 Sep 2020 : 19:52:06
Okay, you know what guys? I made a comment letting the OP know my thoughts on the supplement. I was very glowing in my review and objective in my opinion. I did not expect to get insulted and harassed for voicing said opinion. Nobody else in this thread is getting slapped for saying what they thought of the product. I don't know why you think it's okay to do it to me.

As for my product, it was just as much a labor of love as this author's product. I made my own maps, created my own monsters, created reasons for the characters to be there, incorporated longstanding NPCs, and created a storyline that fits in with the canon of the region. I don't know why you feel it's okay to insult my writing and my research without even reading what I've written, but feel it necessary to defend this author's material without reading what he's written.

If you want to smack people around for what they've written, buy their products and read them. Otherwise, shut up. Good day.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Sep 2020 : 19:06:52
quote:

I would also like to point out that someone who came out with a different product is a pretty good source of information, since it likely means that person researched Calimshan pretty extensively in developing his own product.

I would contest this one. The DM's Guild is pretty much wide-open, for content. So long as it's got sufficient rules and avoids certain things that are explicitly verboten, anyone could put just about anything on the DM's Guild. There are no requirements for scholarship, adherence to canon, or even basic grammar. I've bought at least one truly crappy product from the Guild, and several others that were quite underwhelming.

You could assume someone did the appropriate research -- but it is not guaranteed.

And as the recent Darkhold book proved, even if they do their research, it doesn't mean they won't casually ignore published canon for the sake of an entirely unnecessary retcon.
Dalor Darden Posted - 16 Sep 2020 : 18:49:53

DoveArrow Posted - 16 Sep 2020 : 18:39:49
quote:

And this is why edition wars suck: "My version is the correct one!"

Not to mention a detractor that has a product that says something differently in their product...

Did I say anything disparaging about this product? It seems I said it was a great product, that it was well written, and that it had wonderful artwork. I stated that it does not include some information that came out post-Spellplague. However, that is a fact. That is not a disparagement.

I would also like to point out that someone who came out with a different product is a pretty good source of information, since it likely means that person researched Calimshan pretty extensively in developing his own product.

Finally, I would point out that the products are not competing. One is an adventure and the other is a campaign setting supplement. The two products could be used in conjunction with one another with some slight adjustments regarding post-Spellplague history.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Sep 2020 : 21:21:25
quote:

I get that completely.

Others naysaying a product when their own product says something different is another matter.

Fair enough.
Dalor Darden Posted - 15 Sep 2020 : 21:05:50
I get that completely.

Others naysaying a product when their own product says something different is another matter.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Sep 2020 : 20:50:20
quote:

Not to mention a detractor that has a product that says something differently in their product...

I, personally, wasn't complaining about editions -- I was just pointing out that an absence of updated information in the face of known, setting-wide changes does in fact mean that we don't have current information.

That said...
Dalor Darden Posted - 15 Sep 2020 : 20:18:41

DoveArrow Posted - 15 Sep 2020 : 06:11:48
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It's a great product and it does include maps of both Calimport and Calimshan. Just know that the information contained in it is pre-Spellplague. The author states in the discussion area for the product that there isn't any information that's post-Spellplague on Calimshan. However, that's just not true. If you're running a game in the current timeline, many of the areas mentioned in this product are not current. The Forests of Mir are now the Spires of Mir, the Spider Swamp has dried up and the aranea that lived there have been petrified, and the Arena Effreetum was destroyed by Cephas when he crashed the current pasha's floating palace into it.

That said, if you're running a game that's pre-Spellplague, it's a great product. The art in it is wonderful and the writing is superb. I'm not disappointed that I bought it.

Those were all 4E changes, I believe -- and a lot of the 4E changes were walked back. Some of those changes may have been undone.

They didn't make any mention of changes to Calimshan in the Second Sundering that I know of. While it's possible that things reverted, there's nothing official published that I know of to suggest that. And I don't know how that would change what happened to Calimport, since events there weren't the result of the Spellplague.
George Krashos Posted - 15 Sep 2020 : 02:15:26
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

I am on a prticular hunt for information on the ancient Illithyr activity in the region... Does this tome contain information on the Living Gem war and/or the Calimshan Crystal?

Are you looking for lore on those three separate things/events or looking for lore that cross references them?

This DMs Guild sourcebook has nothing on the Living Gem war or Ilythiir, and while it mentions the Calimemnon Crystal, it simply repeats what is in the 4E FR Campaign Guide.

-- George Krashos
PattPlays Posted - 15 Sep 2020 : 00:21:54
I am on a prticular hunt for information on the ancient Illithyr activity in the region... Does this tome contain information on the Living Gem war and/or the Calimshan Crystal?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Sep 2020 : 23:38:47
quote:

It's a great product and it does include maps of both Calimport and Calimshan. Just know that the information contained in it is pre-Spellplague. The author states in the discussion area for the product that there isn't any information that's post-Spellplague on Calimshan. However, that's just not true. If you're running a game in the current timeline, many of the areas mentioned in this product are not current. The Forests of Mir are now the Spires of Mir, the Spider Swamp has dried up and the aranea that lived there have been petrified, and the Arena Effreetum was destroyed by Cephas when he crashed the current pasha's floating palace into it.

That said, if you're running a game that's pre-Spellplague, it's a great product. The art in it is wonderful and the writing is superb. I'm not disappointed that I bought it.

Those were all 4E changes, I believe -- and a lot of the 4E changes were walked back. Some of those changes may have been undone.
DoveArrow Posted - 14 Sep 2020 : 22:05:47

MTBlack Posted - 01 May 2020 : 02:26:19
Yes, there is a black/white map of Calimshan and a b/w map of Calimport
Brimstone Posted - 29 Apr 2020 : 15:19:22
Does it have a map?
MTBlack Posted - 29 Apr 2020 : 02:26:59
Thanks folks, it was a real labour of love for me and I researched everything I could lay my hands on. There were some challenges in the history trying to account for everything that happened in 4e and then having it all kinda "reset" for 5e, but feedback suggests I was able to smooth that all together. There is so much more I could have included but I think its a good introduction to the area, and "opens it up" to 5e players who have never gotten beyond the Sword Coast.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Jan 2020 : 18:24:54
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I haven’t purchased this yet but the preview seems rather exceptional in quality. I think I might pick it up, though I do wish it had a dead tree version.

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/301438

I've been eyeballing that one, myself.
shades of eternity Posted - 30 Jan 2020 : 17:37:34
I have picked it up and think its a good rundown of the area.

heck mt rant on twitter is what gave the inspiration for Angus Guide to Amn. :)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000