Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Playing on Waterdeep

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ralf Posted - 02 Sep 2020 : 05:31:50
I'm interested in a Waterdeep campaign. However, i'm extremely confused by all those sourcebooks on the place. Do you really need them all to get the place right?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 17 Sep 2020 : 10:45:56
Acolyte Ralf,

I do believe understanding your desire for "getting it right" is best defined by what you are trying to deliver. If you really want a level of immersion that that comes with a deep familiarity by the DM, then yes. If not, then read up on things that are relevant to the story at hand you are delivering and use/learn the lore as you go that way. :)

Best regards,

Gyor Posted - 08 Sep 2020 : 02:02:31
Just popped in to say I'm sleeping under Waterdeep! Because I bought the Waterdeep fleece throw from Spirit Hollween! Its a stunning map of Waterdeep. Warm too. Sorry for my Waterdeep tangit, but you brought up Waterdeep and I have it right here.
sleyvas Posted - 02 Sep 2020 : 13:00:45
Like people said, Waterdeep isn't about knowing every bar, store, and noble faction in the city. What I recommend is picking a few noble families, a few locations, etc... and researching those. The rest you can learn over time as you need to. The main things to know are that there's a huge dungeon beneath it called undermountain. Noone knows for certain who the lords are (and not all the lords have been revealed even now, so feel free to make up your own). There's a big underdark city attached called skullport full of all kinds of underdark creatures. The sewers aren't just filled with filth, and are actively used by thieves. But, if the party won't be going to those places, then you don't even need to know that.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Sep 2020 : 05:56:35
I would suggest Volo's Guide to Waterdeep and either the 2E City of Splendors boxed set, or the 3E book City of Splendors: Waterdeep.

All are available as pdfs from DriveThruRPG.com, I believe.

Volo's gives you a wonderful, on-the-ground look at Waterdeep: rumors, NPCs, and write-ups of hundreds of shops, inns, taverns, and other places of interest.

As for the broader look at the city, I would say that the 2E City of Splendors boxed set is the most comprehensive source -- though the 3E book is very informative, as well, and more recent. You'll pay through the nose getting it on eBay, though, if you want the print copy. NobleKnight.com may have it for a more reasonable price, but I've not looked.
Omenborn Posted - 02 Sep 2020 : 05:37:59
You dont need them all. I have started (a long time ago :) ) with Waterdeep and the North and Volos Guide to Waterdeep. That was more then enough for the beginning. Later i also used the Boxed Set City of Splendors.

If you want you can also use the Boxed Set of Ruins of Undermountain but it no must have or must use.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000