Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Tasha's Cauldron of Everything

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brimstone Posted - 24 Aug 2020 : 16:21:43
Saw this on Facebook. Tasha's Cauldron of Everything

quote:
WHAT WONDERFUL WITCHERY IS THIS?
A magical mixture of rules options for the world's greatest roleplaying game.

The wizard Tasha, whose great works include the spell Tasha’s hideous laughter, has gathered bits and bobs of precious lore during her illustrious career as an adventurer. Her enemies wouldn’t want these treasured secrets scattered across the multiverse, so in defiance, she has collected and codified these tidbits for the enrichment of all.

EXPANDED SUBCLASSES. Try out subclass options for every Dungeons & Dragons class, including the artificer, which appears in the book.

MORE CHARACTER OPTIONS. Delve into a collection of new class features and new feats, and customize your character’s origin using straightforward rules for modifying a character’s racial traits.

INTRODUCING GROUP PATRONS. Whether you're part of the same criminal syndicate or working for an ancient dragon, each group patron option comes with its own perks and types of assignments.

SPELLS, ARTIFACTS & MAGIC TATTOOS. Discover more spells, as well as magic tattoos, artifacts, and other magic items for your campaign.

EXPANDED RULES OPTIONS. Try out rules for sidekicks, supernatural environments, natural hazards, and parleying with monsters, and gain guidance on running a session zero.

A PLETHORA OF PUZZLES. Ready to be dropped into any D&D adventure, puzzles of varied difficulty await your adventurers, complete with traps and guidance on using the puzzles in a campaign.
Full of expanded content for players and Dungeon Masters alike, this book is a great addition to the Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master’s Guide. Baked in you'll find more rule options for all the character classes in the Player's Handbook, including more subclass options. Thrown in for good measure is the artificer class, a master of magical invention. And this witch's brew wouldn't be complete without a dash of added artifacts, spellbook options, spells for both player characters and monsters, magical tattoos, group patrons, and other tasty goodies.
24   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
PattPlays Posted - 28 Aug 2020 : 20:04:04
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Edit: In the game I run I make extensive use of magical tattoos. They aren't transferable in any known (to the PCs) way and make it easy for me to boost enemy power without worrying about magic items becoming too numerous. For all intents and purposes, they're standard magic items.

What have you done to explain the origin of magical tattoos in your game? I am adapting some netherese ruins to contain lore on an Arcanist's development of Magical Tattoos, and I'm not confident on some of the themes and details I would include in her lost tome on the subject. Have you had any creative descriptions of the in-world rationale for magical tattoos that you'd like to share?

I think it goes without saying that I can't wait to get my eyes on any new Magical Tattoo flavor they may publish in TCE.

Is that the abbreviation we are going for? TCE? TCoE?
The Arcanamach Posted - 28 Aug 2020 : 19:41:47
I'm stoked for this new addition to the game myself. Tasha = Iggwilv just makes it all the more interesting. I do wish they'd release more titles using personalities from the Realms in their titles though - I mean the Realms are now the official setting.

Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth remains one of my all time favorites.

Edit: In the game I run I make extensive use of magical tattoos. They aren't transferable in any known (to the PCs) way and make it easy for me to boost enemy power without worrying about magic items becoming too numerous. For all intents and purposes, they're standard magic items.
The Masked Mage Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 22:17:21
I would say it looks like a slavic/balkan word.

Ts = #1062; = hard C or K
J = J = Y like "year"

the o is like our au = "autumn"

the middle c is hard to guess at since they have 5 different pronunciations (2 ch sounds the TS from before, and 2 S sounds) my guess is this

C = S like "sand"

The A would be like bar or tar

so for us it would sound like Kyausanth

Note - my pronunciation evaluation is not what google will tell you :P
The Masked Mage Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 21:53:44
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

That piece of info was revealed in the last published Dragon Magazine Wooly.

It was also strongly hinted many years earlier. Tasha = Natasha the Dark (also from a Dragon article) = Iggwilv, although I don't think this was the intention way back in the Lost Caverns of Tsjocanth but I could be wrong. Even way back then her ties to Zagig were pretty obvious - and Gary published that in 1982, so long history of hints, at least.

Was the name Tsjocanth another of his jokes? It's a weird word, and I know that a lot of names in Greyhawk were anagrams of real names.

No idea. I know he took a dungeon made by someone else and used it for the adventure. I know Tsjocanth is a wizard from long ago. I know the spelling of the name changed over time slightly. This last bit would suggest it is not an anagram. He did do a lot with word games - including in that adventure - there were riddles and word puzzles
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 21:41:44
quote:

quote:

It was also strongly hinted many years earlier. Tasha = Natasha the Dark (also from a Dragon article) = Iggwilv, although I don't think this was the intention way back in the Lost Caverns of Tsjocanth but I could be wrong. Even way back then her ties to Zagig were pretty obvious - and Gary published that in 1982, so long history of hints, at least.

Was the name Tsjocanth another of his jokes? It's a weird word, and I know that a lot of names in Greyhawk were anagrams of real names.
The Masked Mage Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 21:36:38
quote:

Edit - the 1982 version was a reprint - the first version was 1977
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 15:45:12
quote:

The last Published by Paizo Dragon Magazine. Dragon 359.

My bad. I'll have to dig through the disaster area that my computer room/work-from-home office has become to see if I can find that.
sleyvas Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 15:43:48
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I liked Tattoo Magic as a sort of "Hanging" Contingency sort of magic. A visible sign of someone's ability to protect their person; even if what those protections were couldn't be known by simply looking at them.

Same, it gave an ability to give your character a descriptive quality that caught the eye, without revealing what it did. Furthermore, when someone goes to "describe" them later "he had this dragon tattoo that was .. blah blah blah"... and you've already inscribed a new magical tattoo with entirely different imagery. I've also liked tattoos that acted like a defensive magical item or a boost to the character, etc...
Brimstone Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 13:35:11
The last Published by Paizo Dragon Magazine. Dragon 359.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 10:52:28
quote:

Ah. That explains it. I can't download it or copy articles out of it, so I don't pay attention to what they call a magazine now.
Brimstone Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 08:40:51
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 04:02:19
quote:

quote:

Yeah, dunno if I would trust a magical tome written by Iggwilv.

Based on the description, it is her, but the writers forgot that Tasha is Iggwilv :P

I don't think I ever knew that... But then again, my knowledge of Greyhawk doesn't go much beyond the old Gord the Rogue novels.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 04:01:03
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

There was a 5e playtest for magic tattoos this year. Many of the player mechanics in Xanathar's Guide are similar to or exactly the same as the playtest document that they appear in. I think you can get a reasonable idea of the WoTC design team starting point from the playtest.

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/spells-magic-tattoos

When I saw that they were working on magic tattoos I thought we might be getting an AP featuring the Red Wizards, but it looks like it will just be a new kind of reward. They are basically just a different kind of magic item.

I don't like the whole attunement thing, but otherwise, I don't have any objections to tattoos being handled like this.
Tarlyn Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 03:11:12
There was a 5e playtest for magic tattoos this year. Many of the player mechanics in Xanathar's Guide are similar to or exactly the same as the playtest document that they appear in. I think you can get a reasonable idea of the WoTC design team starting point from the playtest.

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/spells-magic-tattoos

When I saw that they were working on magic tattoos I thought we might be getting an AP featuring the Red Wizards, but it looks like it will just be a new kind of reward. They are basically just a different kind of magic item.
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 02:23:15
I liked Tattoo Magic as a sort of "Hanging" Contingency sort of magic. A visible sign of someone's ability to protect their person; even if what those protections were couldn't be known by simply looking at them.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 02:02:22
quote:

quote:

Wonder how they'll handle magic tattoos this time around...

Never liked any of the magic tattoos. Always been too limited to be worth it.

Agreed.
The Masked Mage Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 00:31:40
Ah yeah - I didn't notice the alternate cover. That version black hair, bare shoulders and skulls and such about looks much more like previous versions of her.
George Krashos Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 00:23:17
quote:

quote:

Based on the description, it is her, but the writers forgot that Tasha is Iggwilv :P

No they didn't. That's Graz'zt in the background.

-- George Krashos
The Masked Mage Posted - 25 Aug 2020 : 00:04:53
quote:

Dalor Darden Posted - 24 Aug 2020 : 23:45:26
The Masked Mage Posted - 24 Aug 2020 : 23:10:46
Title does beg the question: 'Is this THE Tasha?', daughter of Baba Yaga, invoker of hideous laughter, apprentice of Zagig, writer of the Demonomicon, eventually known as Iggwilv, and mother of Iuz?
The Masked Mage Posted - 24 Aug 2020 : 22:55:36
quote:

Never liked any of the magic tattoos. Always been too limited to be worth it.
Zeromaru X Posted - 24 Aug 2020 : 19:20:21
Basically, Xanathar's 2.0.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Aug 2020 : 16:51:47

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000