Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 CC3 Character Artist add-on

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TheIriaeban Posted - 17 Jun 2020 : 16:08:43
Has anyone tried the Character Artist Add-on for Campaign Cartographer 3? I would love to be able to have some drawings of characters but I am not sure it is worth the cost.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 29 Jun 2020 : 12:21:30
quote:
Originally posted by paksilas

My friend has been using that for years now. I have not asked him the cost yet though. Might be interesting to find out.

Paint3d? Its free with windows 10. I was surprised to find it in there, and one of the first thing I did was try and draw a city using some of the pre-built things it had in its library like 2 years ago. Recently, my fiancé's daughter was in an art class and the teacher was noting how expensive it gets to provide the kids with paints, printouts, etc... I mentioned she might want to see if the parents might not have cheap windows 10 laptops that they'd be willing to let their kids bring to class. I showed her how I could go to thingiverse and find pretty much anything at all to color, and just download the STL file (90% of the things are STL's) and paint it in paint3d. Its kind of fun to paint a mini in paint3d instead of with real paints, and you don't have to wait 3 hours for it to print (and its better quality on the computer as it has more detail). If having a printed picture of your character works for you (for instance on your character sheet), this can be fun. That's pretty much how I do all my 3d things is either in blender itself or in paint3d, depending on if the item has a lot of separate components put together (easy to do in blender) or if it is a single object (easy to do in paint3d).

BTW, speaking on the kids thing, and knowing with all this COVID-19 stuff people have a lot of kids stuck at home... one thing I've done is actually take some of my stuff I've made in blender and sent it out to my fiancé's daughter and asked her to try painting it in paint3d so we could compare who has a better idea. If she has a friend over, I let it be a little competition by asking them both to make a version and "I'll judge it". I've also found "cutesy" things that I thought she would get a lark out of coloring (like a cat on a throne with a crown sticking its tongue out) and just emailed the link to her and asked her to download a copy and color it and show me what she comes up with. She's 11, so she's just old enough that this becomes a challenge for her, teaches her a little about computers, etc...
paksilas Posted - 29 Jun 2020 : 10:43:57
My friend has been using that for years now. I have not asked him the cost yet though. Might be interesting to find out.
TheIriaeban Posted - 18 Jun 2020 : 22:50:29
Yeah, I noticed that Paint 3D has a really nice clipping feature. I was planning on using it to cut and paste these drawings into an appropriate background. I hadn't considered just grabbing a figure and then coloring it. I do have some miniatures from when I was playing so I am used to not having exactly what I was looking for and even CA3 would require some manipulation of graphics files to make them closer to what I was looking for.
sleyvas Posted - 18 Jun 2020 : 22:34:55
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

I have uploaded an elf that I made in about 25 minutes using trial and error to the Mediafire location in my sig. The add-on also includes instructions on how to make your own graphic files so that you can have an even more customized look. Overall, not bad for people that don't have skills at drawing.

Edit: I should mention that it is the file named Test.jpg.

Just as an option for you, if your goal is to make pictures of your characters, another fairly easy and free option is to download a virtual figure in .STL format from thingiverse and open it in paint3d (of course the problem becomes finding the right figure). Paint3d itself is very easy to learn. You don't have to know anything about 3d modeling to use an already made STL, and its just spinning the mini around and coloring it. If you don't have a cemented character look in your head, it can be fairly easy to find a generic mini of say "male elf ranger" or somesuch that fits your general idea.

That's how I got started actually playing around with my 3d modeling (which after making Lorey the other day, I think I'm gonna do one more and then I'll be done for a bit). Making your own can be pretty fun as well, but there's definitely a hefty learning curve to that as well.
TheIriaeban Posted - 18 Jun 2020 : 14:48:56
There is another, more colorful option for creating characters. I selected that style since it seemed the easiest.

I would also recommend the deal. Especially if you have the FRIA. You can use CC3+ to modify those maps to "update" them with additional locations or make changes to locations based on information that wasn't available when they were originally made.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 18 Jun 2020 : 12:54:34
That elf looks pretty good... might have to get this myself.

Wooly, I highly recommend it for the deal alone. I'm reluctant to buying add-ons for CC3 because of the price tag (the only two I bought prior to the bundle was Maps of Schley and Cities of Schley, because... Schley!).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Jun 2020 : 05:41:28
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

(*cough*) Maps Extravaganza Bundle (*cough*)

I was going to comment on that, myself. I'm not familiar with the programs, myself, and I've little use for them and little time to use them -- but I'm still reluctant to pass up that deal!
TheIriaeban Posted - 18 Jun 2020 : 05:01:41
I have uploaded an elf that I made in about 25 minutes using trial and error to the Mediafire location in my sig. The add-on also includes instructions on how to make your own graphic files so that you can have an even more customized look. Overall, not bad for people that don't have skills at drawing.

Edit: I should mention that it is the file named Test.jpg.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 18 Jun 2020 : 02:52:03
I'd appreciate that!
TheIriaeban Posted - 18 Jun 2020 : 02:35:17
Thank you. I used that offer to pick up everything but the 3 I already had (CC3+, CD3, DD3). Plus, I checked my email and found an email from Profantasy that mentioned that Maps Extravaganza (teach me to actually read my email) and it had a 50% off offer for anything else at the site so I grabbed Character Artist 3, too. If you like, I can let you guys know how Character Artist is.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 17 Jun 2020 : 22:10:05
(*cough*) Maps Extravaganza Bundle (*cough*)
TheIriaeban Posted - 17 Jun 2020 : 21:11:24
Tell me about it. I have had it for over a year and I still haven't gotten to the point of just being able to sit down and do what I want.
sleyvas Posted - 17 Jun 2020 : 20:36:34
Ok, I will admit I might be an unusual user of their application, as I create my own icons and import them into the program, I make maps that are way too huge, etc... I will say that except for when things start locking up (which is usually when my maps are getting overloaded with icons), I love CC3. It DOES have a steep learning curve though.
TheIriaeban Posted - 17 Jun 2020 : 18:38:00
I have Dungeon and City Designers and various symbol packs and I haven't had any issues. Perspectives looks interesting but, since I am not actively gaming at the moment, I doubt I will be picking that one up.
sleyvas Posted - 17 Jun 2020 : 18:00:31
do you have other add ons? I added some of them beyond the basic and I get all kinds of flaky issues (city and dungeon designer). I don't know if its my PC or what. I haven't used that particular add on though.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000