Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 3.5 Ranger Combat Styles and Thrown Weapons?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 02 Jun 2020 : 05:00:56
Tried looking this up not too long ago but I have not found any concrete statements on the rules for such. Now, when it comes to the Ranger class as presented in the 3.5 Edition PHB and the Ranged Combat Style, do the feats associated with that work for thrown weapons, namely daggers, darts, javelins, throwing axes, etc.? I know said class feature (or the feats such works in place of) work for bows (including crossbows) and slings, but this area seems gray unless I missed something in the books themselves. Any idea?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 03 Jun 2020 : 21:41:43
Galuf/Diffan, that's an interesting idea.... I'd agree under 3.5 rules, the person would do better to go ranger with two weapon fighting and then taking quick draw separately. Especially since halflings get the +1 with thrown weapons, it kind of almost offsets the -2/-2 for two weapon fighting with light weapons. That's a very interesting play on things I'd never thought about. Halflings wearing bandoliers of throwing daggers just became more common in my book. Maybe some with contact with kara-tur may have stolen the idea of the throwing star. Maybe halfling females use throwing "spikes" as pins in their hair. With sneak attack damage from multi-classing rogue and ranger this could definitely get interesting (and OMG, I now have halfling ninjas in mind, so I gotta stop). ooooo, and poison....
Diffan Posted - 03 Jun 2020 : 20:43:47
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Looking at the core rules, it looks like Rapid Shot (3rd) and Improved Precise Shot (11th) from the Archery style can be used with throwing weapons, assuming you can draw that many (ie, you'd need Quick Draw). Manyshot specifically says bows, so you'd be out there

Okay. Meant to discuss such in my recent thread discussing Realms sub-races and class placement (akin to the "Races of" sourcebooks), namely in relation to Halflings and the Ranger class.

I gotcha. Well the options in the PHB don't forego the use of Throwing weapons. Either style can sort of accommodate that particular aspect, in a way. I think Archery has more useful feats for what you're going for than Two-Weapon Fighting.
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 03 Jun 2020 : 04:01:27
quote:

Looking at the core rules, it looks like Rapid Shot (3rd) and Improved Precise Shot (11th) from the Archery style can be used with throwing weapons, assuming you can draw that many (ie, you'd need Quick Draw). Manyshot specifically says bows, so you'd be out there

Okay. Meant to discuss such in my recent thread discussing Realms sub-races and class placement (akin to the "Races of" sourcebooks), namely in relation to Halflings and the Ranger class.
Diffan Posted - 03 Jun 2020 : 03:46:02
Galuf the Dwarf Posted - 03 Jun 2020 : 02:16:46
quote:

There is a Dragon article that lets you grab a set of different combat styles, one called Throwing Style which gives you Quick Draw (2nd), Point Blank Shot (6th), and Far Shot (11th).

Technically, all this feature does is give free feats you don't need to meet requirements for. So Two-Weapon Fighting style is just as "good" as the throwing one since you can grab a short-spear in one had, a handaxe in the other and throw both. I'd honestly steer you torwads the options in the PHB2 which gives you better feats like Two-Weapon Rend and Two-Weapon Pounce.

Okay, but what about the core Ranged Combat Style? Do those features (or the feats they're based on) work for throwing weapons?
Diffan Posted - 02 Jun 2020 : 23:47:24
There is a Dragon article that lets you grab a set of different combat styles, one called Throwing Style which gives you Quick Draw (2nd), Point Blank Shot (6th), and Far Shot (11th).

Technically, all this feature does is give free feats you don't need to meet requirements for. So Two-Weapon Fighting style is just as "good" as the throwing one since you can grab a short-spear in one had, a handaxe in the other and throw both. I'd honestly steer you torwads the options in the PHB2 which gives you better feats like Two-Weapon Rend and Two-Weapon Pounce.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000