Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Abraxus Affair

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kusghuul Posted - 28 May 2020 : 19:04:39
I'm running a campaign that's now veered into Cormyr in 1369 DR. I was considering whether the adventurers will, eventually, get to deal with the Abraxus affair.

Has anyone read the book and can give me a synopsis? All I know is what's in the Wiki, which gives me as a DM very little to work with, specifically how the Cormaerils and Bleths were implicated.

While I obviously could make things up, it would be nice with some inspiration.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 14 Sep 2020 : 08:04:58
Seeker Kusghuul,

Are you incorporating the Fire Knives into the plot at all? ;)

Best regards,

Kusghuul Posted - 29 May 2020 : 09:48:14
That helps, thanks! The bull is the Abraxus, so that I knew. The whole thing is exactly how the Cormaerils and the Bleths are involved in the actual murders and attempted regicide to make an court intrigue adventure out of it.

I'll probably read through the novel for additional information, inspiration, and plot hooks. I'm planning some exposition for the party; they're en route to visit Thomdor (one of the people that gets killed by the Abraxus) to get their adventuring charter stamped, and I'll drop in a member of the Scions of the Dark Prince (as it's prior to the Harlot's Coin Heresy), who's also a member of the Seven Suns Trading Coster and an acquaintance of the Bleths through them coster.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 May 2020 : 04:39:50
I had forgotten all about the Tanalasta subplot.

I don't think I've read that book since I moved out of my apartment... and that was in 2007.
Hoondatha Posted - 29 May 2020 : 03:00:36
It's been awhile since I read it for me as well, but to add onto what Wooly said, one of the key parts of the plots was the attempted seduction of Tanalasta, who would become ruling queen when Azoun died. Vangey and other senior members of the court pretty quickly figured out who the main movers in the plot were, but they didn't tell Tanalasta since they didn't trust her not to say anything to the conspirator who was courting her.

Even without a young, handsome noble as part of the conspiracy, any sudden illness on Azoun's part would make Tanalasta an extraordinarily attractive marriage prospect. Depending on how savvy you want to play her, there's plenty of opportunity for PC's to get involved, either wooing her themselves, or investigating those who are doing so.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 May 2020 : 22:17:57
quote:
Originally posted by Kusghuul

I'm running a campaign that's now veered into Cormyr in 1369 DR. I was considering whether the adventurers will, eventually, get to deal with the Abraxus affair.

Has anyone read the book and can give me a synopsis? All I know is what's in the Wiki, which gives me as a DM very little to work with, specifically how the Cormaerils and Bleths were implicated.

While I obviously could make things up, it would be nice with some inspiration.

Short version: there was an attempt to assassinate Azoun IV. There was a construct -- a bull I believe -- that breathed a poisonous gas that Azoun and a couple others inhaled. The poison itself was somehow actively anti-magical, so it couldn't be magically purged.

Azoun laid low for a while, and as I recall, most of the kingdom thought he was dead or dying. Vangey figured out a way to purge the poison, but it took a while and left Azoun weak for a while. While he was out of the picture, Vangey was running around, playing all the nobles and factions off each other, making it look like he himself wanted the throne.

Eventually, Azoun was strong enough to return and squash those noble plots.

That's what I recall off the top of my head. It's been a long time since I read the novel.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000