Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Best Resources for the Unapproachable East

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Tarlyn Posted - 13 May 2020 : 17:19:06
Hello Scribes,

What are the best resources to look up details for Thay, Thesk, The Great Dale and Aglarond?

I am aware of the campaign settings 1e-4e, the spellbound box set and the book titled the Unapproachable East.

Are there any good adventures set in these locations?

Thanks for your replies.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 14 May 2020 : 13:30:19
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

I play at the edge of timeline, so post sundering 5e at this point. I play very fast and loose with cannon in the current era. There isn't much cannon beyond the sword coast beyond hints here and there, so I steal from the past and add my own ideas. I am thinking of using Aglarond as the home base of sorts for my next campaign.

So, in that case the Thay you are interested in is the one in which the Zulkirate is overseen by Szass Tam and there MAY be a quiet rebellion forming to turn Thay into less of a land of the undead. You can scoop ideas from earlier resources, but the landscape has changed drastically. I still would recommend reading the Haunted Lands Trilogy and the Brotherhood of the Griffin books that spin off of that trilogy. There's also a few Rashemen based novels that you might like.

However, from a "what Thay was previously, to what it is now" standpoint... the churches of Kossuth and Myrkul used to be powerful in Thay, but Kossuth's clergy was nearly wiped out in the Thayan civil war fighting against Tam. Tam also swore to Bane that Bane's would be the only religion allowed in country (doubtful that others are eliminated, but they're probably not highly visible).

On other regions, Rashemen, Aglarond, and Thesk are less impacted, but Impiltur, Vaasa, and Damara are also vastly different from their 1300's incarnations. So are the Old Empires areas as well, though at least with the old empires, it appears to be moving towards a "let's mix old and new and allow for both" approach.

If you are interested in NON-Canon material, you'll see me blabbering on throughout these various threads about a concept I call "The United Tharchs of Toril" in which Thayan refugees of the civil war, in the ten years preceding the spellplague and a few years prior to that, had opened a trade enclave in Fort Flame in Anchorome to help the Flaming Fist's small castle in return for land. In those ten years, as people became disenchanted with Thay and disinclined to move into other enclaves where they had to bow and scrape to local authorities to a degree, there was a surge into this trade enclave for land. This surge then expanded into the western side of Anchorome, and finally down into Lopango "the Land of Fire". Then the spellplague happened and all those continents went to Abeir. These smallish colonies further expanded into other areas, and essentially a concept like the British empire was formed (not as powerful, but numerous "tharchs" spread throughout that were allied for mutual defense and trade in a brand new world). Those aren't the only tharchs I surmised might occur, and another was in the Shaar (because my theory is that the "collapse" didn't happen to create the Underchasm... a large portion of the eastern Shaar went to Abeir, but nothing came to Toril in return). In essence, I believe a LOT of Toril went to Abeir, but very little of Abeir came to Toril... and this may be because Abeir doesn't have a lot of land.... Perhaps the Elven Sundering STOLE land from Abeir or some other concept. It COULD be interesting though if basically we were to find out that Abeir has actually very little habitable land mass, as it might make for a more believable idea that the society's that went there were large enough that the forces of Abeir might have simply been outnumbered (not killed, but maybe disinclined to try and swarm the new lands appearing). This might be why we see Anchorome, Maztica, Lopango, Evermeet, Nimbral, Lantan, Halruaa, etc... disappearing, but we only hear of Laerakond coming over from Abeir. For all we know, Abeir might be more seas than anything and the Batrachi cultures flourished there after the twinning of worlds.
George Krashos Posted - 14 May 2020 : 12:42:50
My hard drive.

There's also a decent Great Dale sourcebook at the DMs Guild.

-- George Krashos
Tarlyn Posted - 14 May 2020 : 05:05:32
I play at the edge of timeline, so post sundering 5e at this point. I play very fast and loose with cannon in the current era. There isn't much cannon beyond the sword coast beyond hints here and there, so I steal from the past and add my own ideas. I am thinking of using Aglarond as the home base of sorts for my next campaign.
sleyvas Posted - 13 May 2020 : 22:21:40
Also, what year are you playing in, because it vastly changes the landscape at the 3e boundary? Novel wise, the Haunted Lands trilogy covers these changes, and while I hate what happened the novels were good (there are some flaws wherein some people are killed rather too easily, but...). From the 1e to 3e era, the Simbul's Gift and Red Magic are both good novels.
ericlboyd Posted - 13 May 2020 : 19:43:26
You should also get FR6 - Dream of the Red Wizards. There is tangential info in FR10 - Old Empires and FR9 - Bloodstone Lands.
Tarlyn Posted - 13 May 2020 : 18:14:23
Thanks for the sources Gary. I am honestly still on the fence as far as involving Eltab. He hasn't been converted to 5e yet and I am not sure that I want to convert him myself.
Gary Dallison Posted - 13 May 2020 : 17:27:31
You will want to get champions of ruin as well for the bit on Eltab. Also scour George krashos thread in the chamber of sages area. Get hold of a copy of the tyrants in scarlet pdf from the dms guild.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000