Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Advice welcome: Running a game on the frontier.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Drumheller Posted - 10 May 2020 : 16:59:49
Hi all,

I'm planning a new campaign for friends. The game will be set in the Realms.

The premise of the game is that the adventuring party will be working for a wizarding order, hired to go to the hidden and forgotten places of the world to find magic secrets and treasure.

Is there a good place in Faerun that would be considered the fronteir? This should be a place that is lesser populated, but with plenty of opportunity to find lost arcane secrets and
treasure.

My initial idea would be to set it the Savage Frontier.

Thank you for the advice.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Drumheller Posted - 12 May 2020 : 18:04:43
Thank you for the replies.

I'm working with the FR Boxed Set Campaign setting (AD&D 2nd ed), FR 3rd ed. Campaign Setting, FR 4th ed. Campaign Setting and Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (5th ed).

I'm checking the various locations you've suggested above in each book. It's interesting to see how each edition covers the material.

I'll keep you posted on how things develop. I'm open to continuing suggestions.

Best,
Drumheller
SaMoCon Posted - 12 May 2020 : 11:17:03
The High Moor, the High Forest, the Backlands, the Stonelands, and the Serpent Hills are all littered with the ruins & remnants of magical kingdoms from ages past including the flying cloud kingdoms of the giants to the annihilated woodland realms of the ancient elves. The populations of these areas tend to be sparsely civilized & hostile to outsiders. There are plenty of canon mentions for adventuring groups raiding these areas and coming back with fantastic treasures, coming back with horrifying tales, or not coming back at all. Different political factions also have different aims regarding the lucrative finds & deadly secrets with some trying to stake out proprietary claims & others militantly guarding fell magics better left forgotten in the past. Practically every region around the Anauroch Desert seems to gobble up all attempts to settle those lands. There is a plethora of alien devices devised by the giants, the dragons, the naga, the elves, the disappeared Talfir humans, the infamous Netherese humans, demons, and goblinoids that were used in battles throughout these areas or buried when their civilizations collapsed. There are plenty of other frontiers that fit the bill without having to leave Faerun, but I will let those suggestions come from other sages whom are better versed in those regions.
Harksen Posted - 11 May 2020 : 19:54:46
quote:
Originally posted by Drumheller

Hi all,

The premise of the game is that the adventuring party will be working for a wizarding order, hired to go to the hidden and forgotten places of the world to find magic secrets and treasure.

Is there a good place in Faerun that would be considered the fronteir? This should be a place that is lesser populated, but with plenty of opportunity to find lost arcane secrets and
treasure.

My initial idea would be to set it the Savage Frontier.

Thank you for the advice.

Yes, the Savage Frontier is a fine place, I think, especially if you're placing the adventurers close by or in The Spine of the World.
Gary Dallison Posted - 11 May 2020 : 11:15:28
The border kingdoms is the traditional playing frontier, lots of small petty kingdoms, low population, plenty of danger and ruins, and a fair amount of detail.

The other regions like narfell and the shar and the hordelands and maztica are true frontiers but there isn't as much low level detail and they are far removed from the rest of faerun, whereas the border kingdoms is a mini frontier near to the vilhon and calimshan etc.
Drumheller Posted - 11 May 2020 : 07:39:33
Keftiu, yes it does and that thought did cross my mind. While I'm still developing the campaign, I plan to address that with the players. I don't want the game to be about colonialism.
keftiu Posted - 11 May 2020 : 03:23:28
Sounds pretty colonialist.
Drumheller Posted - 11 May 2020 : 02:59:45
I'm not really sure yet where I want the game to be. I'm still pretty new to the Forgotten Realms setting.

The feel we're going for is a frontier without much organized civilization, but perhaps loosely organized races that live in the region. There will be plenty of ruins to explore and monsters to defend against.

Lord Karsus, thank you for the suggestions, I'll look up those locations.

Best,
Drumheller
Lord Karsus Posted - 10 May 2020 : 20:07:52
-Depends on when and where you want the game to be and the styles you guys like playing. Cool places could include Maztica, Chult, the Utter East, the Hordelands, Narfell, the Great Glacier, the Anauroch Desert.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000