Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Fey Scout

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 21 Sep 2019 : 01:27:04
Fey Scout

Fey Scouts are usually wood elves or wild elves, who give themselves almost wholly to nature, seeking to return to their untamed roots of frivolity and wildness. The song of the Plane of Faerie calls strongly to them and they eventually become fey creatures themselves. Most Fey Scouts worship Solonor Thelandira, or Rillifane Rallathil. Some worship Shevarash or Fenmarel Mesterine. All have an affinity towards the natural world in one way or another.

Requirements

Alignment: Any good or chaotic

Race: Elf or Half-elf

Skills: Hide 5 ranks , Knowledge (nature) 5 ranks , Move Silently 5 ranks , Survival 8 ranks

Feats: Mobility

Hit die: d10

Skill points: 4 + Int

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: You gain no proficiency with any weapons or armor. If you wear heavy armor, you do not benefit from your fast movement ability.

Fast Movement (Ex): Your land speed is faster than the norm for your race by 10 feet while wearing light, medium, or no armor. This increase stacks with similar increases, such as that from the barbarian class. See the barbarian class feature, page 25 of the Player's Handbook.

Trackless Step (Ex): You cannot be tracked in natural surroundings. See the druid class feature, page 36 of the Player's Handbook.

Primal Rage (Su): At 2nd level, you become able to bring forth the power inherent within and release it in a blood-chilling rage. Releasing a primal rage is a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. A primal rage induces a state of feral frenzy that lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + your Con modifier (minimum 1). You can use your primal rage ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Cha modifier (minimum 1). Using a primal rage always requires you to move, so you cannot use a primal scream if you cannot move.

In this feral frenzy, you gain a +2 bonus to Strength and a +6 bonus to Dexterity. In addition, your jaw elongates and your teeth become razor-sharp; you gain a bite attack that deals 1d6 points of damage (1d4 if you are Small, or 1d8 if you are Large). You can wield a weapon in one or both hands at your normal attack bonus and make a secondary bite attack, but in that case the bite attack takes a —5 attack penalty (or —2 with the Multiattack feat).

In addition to these effects, a primal rage confers additional benefits as you gain levels, as described below. All effects are cumulative.

Enemies Shaken: Starting at 4th level, your primal rage makes enemies within 30 feet shaken when you activate the ability. This is a cerebral, mind-affecting fear effect. Creatures in the area must make Will saves (DC 10 + your class level + your Cha modifier). On a failed save, a creature is shaken for a number of rounds equal to your class level. Creatures with more Hit Dice than you are immune to this effect.

Feral Pounce: At 6th level, you gain the ability to pounce on an opponent in the round in which you activate your primal rage. If you charge a foe in the same round that you rage, you may make a full attack, instead of the normal single attack allowed after a charge.

Enemies Cower: Beginning at 8th level, your primal rage can immobilize enemies with fear when you activate the ability. This is a visual, mind-affecting fear effect. It functions like the enemies shaken ability described above, except that any enemy with less than half your Hit Dice that fails its Will save is cowering instead of shaken.

Fey Healing: At 10th level, when you activate your primal rage ability, you gain fast healing 5 for the duration of your feral frenzy, as long as you have at least 1 hit point.

If you also have the rage class feature, you can rage and use your primal rage at the same time, gaining the benefits of both abilities.

Scent(Ex): At 2nd level, you learn to rely on senses that most other people never even suspect. You gain the scent special ability. You can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet; if the opponent is downwind, it drops to 15 feet. You do not detect the exact location of the source—only its presence somewhere within range. You can take a move action to note the direction of the scent. Whenever you come within 5 feet of the source, you pinpoint the source's location.

Endure Elements(Sp): Starting at 3rd level, you can use endure elements on yourself at will. Your caster level is equal to your fey scout class level.

Nondetection(sp): Starting at 3rd level, you can use this ability as a sorcerer of your class level 2 times a day.

Hide in Plain Sight(Ex): Beginning at 5th level, you can use the Hide skill in natural terrain even while being observed. See the ranger class feature, page 48 of the Player's Handbook.

Unfettered Stride(Ex): At 7th level, you gain the ability to move through or across a variety of terrain features without it affecting your movement or skill checks. This ability applies to bogs, rubble, undergrowth, ice sheets, and natural stone floors. See Chapter 3 of the Dungeon Master's Guide for the effect of terrain on movement and skill checks.

Commune with Nature(sp): At 7th level you can use this ability 3 times a day as a sorcerer of your class level.

Feyheart: At 9th level, your mystic bond with nature changes your very being. Your type becomes fey (augmented humanoid), and you gain these feats, without meeting their prerequisites; Fey Heritage, Fey Legacy, Fey Power, Fey Presence, Fey Skin, Fey Fate.

Advancement

Level	BAB	Fort	Ref	Will	Special
1st	+1	+2	+2	+0	Fast movement, trackless step
2nd	+2	+3	+3	+0	Primal rage, scent
3rd	+3	+3	+3	+1	Endure elements, Nondetection
4th	+4	+4	+4	+1	Primal rage (enemies shaken)
5th	+5	+4	+4	+1	Hide in plain sight
6th	+6	+5	+5	+2	Primal rage (pounce)
7th	+7	+5	+5	+2	Unfettered stride, Commune with nature
8th	+8	+6	+6	+2	Primal rage (enemies cower)
9th	+9	+6	+6	+3	Feyheart
10th	+10	+7	+7	+3	Primal rage (fast healing)
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 01 May 2020 : 20:55:14
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

A couple of things that stand out for me when reading the Prestige Class:

• Alignment: Any chaotic or good, which seems a bit odd to me. A Lawful Good fey scout is a bit at odds with some of the class's flavor. I think it would be better to just say any non-lawful, that way you s till have your pointed alignment concepts (Chaotic and Good) and it sort of fits the flavor more. Not to mention a big reason why Barbarians can't rage when they take on a Lawful alignment (thanks to Delnyn for pointing that out to me a while ago).

• Hit Die: a d10 is...well a bit too good IMO. You already have the basics of a Ranger (full BAB, two good saves, more than 2+ in skills) but giving them extra hit points seems a tad too much. I'd say drop it down to d8 to be more inline with what's already present. Keeps consistency.

• Trackless Step and Fast Movement are a-OK in my book. Seems cool!

• Primal Rage: I love the concept. I just think it's too powerful. Think that a Barbarian gets 1/rage a day and maxes out at 6/day in a full 20-level progression. You've just given this one 3 + Cha a day at level 2. I'm thinking anyone who picks this PrC isn't going to dump Cha at all, at least have a +1 modifier (+2 or greater with magical items) so you're looking at possibly having up to 5 or 6 of these per day that basically last nearly the whole fight.

Now if it was just the usual rage gimmick I wouldn't be too worried but Primal Rage is just flat out 100% better. +2 Str (same) and then....+6 Dex? A net positive +4 overall bonus and with additional stuff added to the rage too. This is an Untyped bonus that stacks with everything. So on top of it being better than normal Rage, you get it more often and it lasts just as long. Plus you add - as you level - the equivalent to the feat Dreadful Wrath, but also Pounce is such a highly-sought after feature that it's almost required by any melee-wielding character and you add on Fast Healing 5.

I just think it's far too powerful overall. Initially, I'd drop it to 1/day and increase the amount as you level. Second, I'd probably drop the Dex bonus to +2 (similar to normal rage, but you're swapping out tenacity for agility). Keep the Shaken/Cower abilities as they can be stopped by some creatures. I'd change how Feral Pounce works. Maybe you can make just one additional attack on a charge attack instead of the full-attack action. Keeps it pretty good BUT not OP. I'd also drop the Fast Healing to 3 (as it keeps in line with the Combat Focus feats).

• Scent, Endure Elements, Non-detection all seem fine and fitting. It'll have a variable difference based on the style of campaign honestly. Some campaigns these will be life-saving and nigh amazing to live without. Others, they're nifty tricks that are serviceable at times.

• Hide in Plain Sight is fine since it only works in a natural setting. You're not using this at the Market or to sneak into the King's castle.

• Unfettered Strike and Commune with Nature are similar to the scent/endure elements/ etc. since it's based on the campaign. Otherwise, it looks fine.

• Feyheart: Yeah, I see why you're having issues here as you're getting 6 Feats for free all at once. Looking at it as one big collective, you're getting at 14th level (assuming base class 5/ fey scout 9) +1 luck to all saves; +3 to Will against enchantments (stacks); SLA's 1/day (each)—Confusion, Dimension Door, and Summon Nature's Ally V (CL 15th); CL and DC for Enchantments and Warlock invocations +1; 1/day (each)—Charm Monster, Deep Slumber, Disguise Self; and finally DR 6/cold iron.

Yea, I dunno what to say? It's waay too much. I think another capstone ability is better but I could see you swapping out some features to instead take a Heritage Feat. I'd also suggest making Fey Heritage a prerequisite feat to get into this Prestige Class if they're being offered.

If you want to add in the Heritage feats (and some of them are pretty good), I'd suggest removing Fast Movement, Non-detection, Hide in Plain Sight, and Commune with Nature. In place, add that you can pick a Fey Heritage feat you qualify for. And make Feyheart the last Fey Heritage feat you can nab. It should certainly be an either/or choice in terms of keeping the Heritage feats or not, but not both.

OMG, yes, I need a lot more work indeed. I actually like every opinion on change to the PrC that you suggested. Again, I have some work to do. I was thinking about putting most of those Fey-Feats scattered throughout the PrC levels and remove some other abilities. I want to keep Feral Frenzy but tone it down to just a smidge better than a Barbarian rage, but with a cool Fey twist.

I forgot to list the SKILLS!!! Duh!! Sorry, I work too much as a Chef, and then the wife and teenege kids consume my life with a +5 vampiric Thinblade. lol. Exact same skills as the Scout class, with the exact same skill progression.

Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 01 May 2020 : 20:45:19
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

I am really impressed with the work CEV put into the fey scout class. I wondered if the class would perhaps have circumstance bonuses in Diplomacy checks with Seelie Court/Unseelie Court fey. Similar choice would apply to Will save bonuses mentioned in previous messages.

Thank you very much Delnyn.I still have a lot of work to do on this to be honest.
Diffan Posted - 28 Apr 2020 : 18:49:13
A couple of things that stand out for me when reading the Prestige Class:

• Alignment: Any chaotic or good, which seems a bit odd to me. A Lawful Good fey scout is a bit at odds with some of the class's flavor. I think it would be better to just say any non-lawful, that way you s till have your pointed alignment concepts (Chaotic and Good) and it sort of fits the flavor more. Not to mention a big reason why Barbarians can't rage when they take on a Lawful alignment (thanks to Delnyn for pointing that out to me a while ago).

• Hit Die: a d10 is...well a bit too good IMO. You already have the basics of a Ranger (full BAB, two good saves, more than 2+ in skills) but giving them extra hit points seems a tad too much. I'd say drop it down to d8 to be more inline with what's already present. Keeps consistency.

• Trackless Step and Fast Movement are a-OK in my book. Seems cool!

• Primal Rage: I love the concept. I just think it's too powerful. Think that a Barbarian gets 1/rage a day and maxes out at 6/day in a full 20-level progression. You've just given this one 3 + Cha a day at level 2. I'm thinking anyone who picks this PrC isn't going to dump Cha at all, at least have a +1 modifier (+2 or greater with magical items) so you're looking at possibly having up to 5 or 6 of these per day that basically last nearly the whole fight.

Now if it was just the usual rage gimmick I wouldn't be too worried but Primal Rage is just flat out 100% better. +2 Str (same) and then....+6 Dex? A net positive +4 overall bonus and with additional stuff added to the rage too. This is an Untyped bonus that stacks with everything. So on top of it being better than normal Rage, you get it more often and it lasts just as long. Plus you add - as you level - the equivalent to the feat Dreadful Wrath, but also Pounce is such a highly-sought after feature that it's almost required by any melee-wielding character and you add on Fast Healing 5.

I just think it's far too powerful overall. Initially, I'd drop it to 1/day and increase the amount as you level. Second, I'd probably drop the Dex bonus to +2 (similar to normal rage, but you're swapping out tenacity for agility). Keep the Shaken/Cower abilities as they can be stopped by some creatures. I'd change how Feral Pounce works. Maybe you can make just one additional attack on a charge attack instead of the full-attack action. Keeps it pretty good BUT not OP. I'd also drop the Fast Healing to 3 (as it keeps in line with the Combat Focus feats).

• Scent, Endure Elements, Non-detection all seem fine and fitting. It'll have a variable difference based on the style of campaign honestly. Some campaigns these will be life-saving and nigh amazing to live without. Others, they're nifty tricks that are serviceable at times.

• Hide in Plain Sight is fine since it only works in a natural setting. You're not using this at the Market or to sneak into the King's castle.

• Unfettered Strike and Commune with Nature are similar to the scent/endure elements/ etc. since it's based on the campaign. Otherwise, it looks fine.

• Feyheart: Yeah, I see why you're having issues here as you're getting 6 Feats for free all at once. Looking at it as one big collective, you're getting at 14th level (assuming base class 5/ fey scout 9) +1 luck to all saves; +3 to Will against enchantments (stacks); SLA's 1/day (each)—Confusion, Dimension Door, and Summon Nature's Ally V (CL 15th); CL and DC for Enchantments and Warlock invocations +1; 1/day (each)—Charm Monster, Deep Slumber, Disguise Self; and finally DR 6/cold iron.

Yea, I dunno what to say? It's waay too much. I think another capstone ability is better but I could see you swapping out some features to instead take a Heritage Feat. I'd also suggest making Fey Heritage a prerequisite feat to get into this Prestige Class if they're being offered.

If you want to add in the Heritage feats (and some of them are pretty good), I'd suggest removing Fast Movement, Non-detection, Hide in Plain Sight, and Commune with Nature. In place, add that you can pick a Fey Heritage feat you qualify for. And make Feyheart the last Fey Heritage feat you can nab. It should certainly be an either/or choice in terms of keeping the Heritage feats or not, but not both.

Delnyn Posted - 28 Apr 2020 : 16:38:20
I am really impressed with the work CEV put into the fey scout class. I wondered if the class would perhaps have circumstance bonuses in Diplomacy checks with Seelie Court/Unseelie Court fey. Similar choice would apply to Will save bonuses mentioned in previous messages.
Delnyn Posted - 28 Apr 2020 : 14:10:42
For alignment, you have any good or chaotic. Were you thinking any chaotic alignment, or neutral good? Lawful good allowed for fey scout looked like an accident. Please correct me if I am wrong.

What are the class skills for fey scout?

Would you considering adding Track as a prerequisite feat and Sylvan as a prerequisite language?

Another flavor bit: I get the strong feeling of a mobile, reclusive (prefers the company of fey creatures more than humanoids, even other elves) spy who knows the forest better than even most other copper or wild elves and can track intruders without being noticed. I am not convinced fey scout should be a front-line combatant. My humble suggestion: Use d8 hit dice for hp, a medium BAB and ditch all primal rage features. Have the fey scout cast endure elements, non-detection and commune with nature 1/day then 2/day depending upon class level. The swift tracker feature sounds reasonable to add to fey scout.

Concerning Feyheart: Without primal rage, you can have the scout change to fey type at 10th level. The class already has three spell-like abilities and it is not a caster class. The class will not lose if you ditch Fey Presence, Fey Power and Fey Legacy. I agree with you about a gradual progression in DR/cold iron (up to 5/cold iron at 10th level). Instead of Fey Heritage, how about an ability akin the druid's resist nature's lure that starts at +1 and goes up to +4 at 10th level?
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 28 Apr 2020 : 03:58:02
I need to fix this big time so Feyheart isn't all jammed into the Capstone ability. Maybe a gradual progression throughout the PrC?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000