Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Yippee! Shipments of 1st and 2nd Edition Goodies

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Delnyn Posted - 26 Mar 2020 : 22:53:23
I am grinning like the Cheshire Cat. Spent a chunk of my tax refund buying sourcebooks I donated 17 years ago, including the core Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Delnyn Posted - 11 Apr 2020 : 00:26:41
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

You're looking at one of the original 2E PHBs. The Revised ones I was referring to were the reprints from 2013, the ones with the ugly green covers.

In my Revised PHB, page 119 is part of the Combat chapter and most certainly does not have that artwork.

Oh, one of those. Ugh.
Arivia Posted - 11 Apr 2020 : 00:16:15
quote:

You're looking at one of the original 2E PHBs. The Revised ones I was referring to were the reprints from 2013, the ones with the ugly green covers.

In my Revised PHB, page 119 is part of the Combat chapter and most certainly does not have that artwork.

Yeah, this change was made as part of the reformatting of the books for their "black book" update in 1995; it was not cut in the premium reprints WotC did 2013. The premium reprints are precise reprints of that update; they have introductions by the design team that did the update explaining why they did so.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Apr 2020 : 02:35:13

Delnyn Posted - 06 Apr 2020 : 00:52:56
quote:

But the one I recalled most (aside from that Elmore piece) was a small black and white pic, showing a young woman in a halter top and a young man in typical fantasy garb, on a flying carpet. The young woman looks pretty blasé about it, but the young man, looking over her shoulder, looks amazed. It's not all that large a pic, but it's one of the ones that every time I see it, I wonder about the story behind the image.

When I got the revised 2E books, the first then I did was look for that pic -- and it wasn't there. Then I looked through the books, saw new (and not all that great, IMO) artwork throughout, and I was immediately disappointed.

Wooly,
I think I found the pic you described. My 2ed Player's Handbook shows the pic on page 119 - Chapter 14: Time and Movement - in the lower right corner. Maybe it is lurking there and you just missed it by "Beshaba's Kiss".
cpthero2 Posted - 27 Mar 2020 : 22:59:03
Learned Scribe Delnyn,

Yeah, isn't that the sad truth! haha

Best regards,

Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Mar 2020 : 14:57:05
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:

I bought the Revised 2E core books, when they were available a few years ago. I was disappointed, though, to discover they didn't have the original art in them.

I consider myself warned. It would be a shame if there is no more "Papers & Paychecks" captioned graphic or the picture of the plate-clad fighter jumping into the wizard's arms out of tentacle reach of the rust monster.

Those were in the 1E rulebooks. My fave was the wand with the hand on it -- "Either it casts various Bigby's Hand spells, or it's a +2 backscratcher."

The 2E rulebooks had interior art from Elmore, Easley, Caldwell, and others, including the pic of the group of adventurers posing next to a small dead dragon hanging from a tree. So of the art -- like that one -- was great. Other art, not so much...

But the one I recalled most (aside from that Elmore piece) was a small black and white pic, showing a young woman in a halter top and a young man in typical fantasy garb, on a flying carpet. The young woman looks pretty blasé about it, but the young man, looking over her shoulder, looks amazed. It's not all that large a pic, but it's one of the ones that every time I see it, I wonder about the story behind the image.

When I got the revised 2E books, the first then I did was look for that pic -- and it wasn't there. Then I looked through the books, saw new (and not all that great, IMO) artwork throughout, and I was immediately disappointed.
Delnyn Posted - 27 Mar 2020 : 11:48:47
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Learned Scribe Delnyn,

Congratulations! It is always awesome to get those treasures back! :)

Best regards,

Now I can get some more lore first hand. You can't always trust everything you read on the Internet.
Delnyn Posted - 27 Mar 2020 : 11:45:55
quote:

I bought the Revised 2E core books, when they were available a few years ago. I was disappointed, though, to discover they didn't have the original art in them.

I consider myself warned. It would be a shame if there is no more "Papers & Paychecks" captioned graphic or the picture of the plate-clad fighter jumping into the wizard's arms out of tentacle reach of the rust monster.
cpthero2 Posted - 27 Mar 2020 : 06:35:10
Learned Scribe Delnyn,

Congratulations! It is always awesome to get those treasures back! :)

Best regards,

Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Mar 2020 : 01:42:08

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000