Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Could Time Have Warped?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Seethyr Posted - 17 Mar 2020 : 22:38:05
Even in the real world, time is a strange construct and even in normal physics it could be bent and toyed with.

If a fan were to try to continue with the meta story of Dungeons and Dragons including the Realms but moving beyond it to other (published) worlds we get a major issue with the time jump of 4e. This has always bothered me because my DMing always includes little Easter eggs from other realms like Oerth. Sometimes, there is even a little travel there.

My question is, do you think it is feasible that the Soellplague could have warped time so that the 100 years of the Spellplague did not advance the other settings? In other worlds, the Realms has 100 years pass, but no one else did?

This is as hand wavy as you can get, but this way the timelines could match up again.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 18 Mar 2020 : 22:45:40
Great Reader sleyvas,

That's a really great resource to call too for that connection. As much as I hate what 4e/5e did to the Realms, that is a pretty solid explanation/excuse for why it happened, from a birds eye and not having read all that you cited.

Best regards,

sleyvas Posted - 18 Mar 2020 : 21:25:12
Seethyr, the possible "best" way to explain this would be in correlation to the concepts presented in the 2nd edition Chronomancer product in which each plane and/or crystal sphere had its own adjacent "plane of time" related to it. What I would say is that the actual "intersection" of Abeir and Toril caused a "conflation" of both their timestreams together in a way that both prevents people travelling back during that time without it "originating" during that period between the sundering and spellplague. Meanwhile, maybe the timestream jump was a doubling or exponential type increase in the "speed" of timeflow seen.
cpthero2 Posted - 18 Mar 2020 : 16:44:48
Master Zeromaru X,

Yeah, that is a great distinction regarding time travel and warping time. I read an awesome article about five years ago or so called, Alcubierre Warp Drive in Higher Dimensional Space-time and it discussed that very principle. Very cool stuff.

Best regards,

Zeromaru X Posted - 18 Mar 2020 : 16:38:32
Yeah, time traveling in the Realms is super limited and that, and now it's almost impossible without the aid of a god, as Ao nullified most of the usual ways for time travel.

However, we are not talking here about time travel, but of a warping of time. Ie. Time moved faster in the Realmspace during the Spellplagued century, while in other spheres (ie. Krynn, Oerth, etc.) it moved at normal speed. So, that would explain why in Oerth it was still the same year as in 3e, while in the Realms was 1479 DR when time resumed its normal speed.

And this is something possible under real life physics (tho, only happens near huge sources of gravity, such as a black hole), so I don't see why it can't have happened in the Realms during a huge magical disruption that warped even time.

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Zeromaru X,

Which Doctor was in on that episode?

Best regards,

I don't remember the name, but it was the last one of the last season of the Twelfth Doctor.
cpthero2 Posted - 18 Mar 2020 : 16:11:18
Learned Scribe Delnyn,

Yeah, that was a well thought out spell. I especially liked the (30) days maximum time in the past and you couldn't go back again, either. Very cool.

Best regards,

cpthero2 Posted - 18 Mar 2020 : 16:01:12
Master Zeromaru X,

Which Doctor was in on that episode?

Best regards,

Delnyn Posted - 18 Mar 2020 : 14:54:21
The 2ed sourcebook Netheril: Empire of Magic had the time conduit spell and time gates where players could go to the Arcane Age setting they wanted (Netheril, Myth Drannor, etc.) Evidently Mystrl made a point to crack down on comic-book style time paradoxes. You could not bring to the distant past items or knowledge (think spells) that had not yet been invented. You could not bring to your native timestream items or magic that had since been deactivated. So don't bother spreading research notes on Karsus' Avatar.
The issue of wiping out key NPC's in the past is the wrinkle. That said, I would not care to confront Karsus in his own enclave at full power, so that time paradox is effectively impossible.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Mar 2020 : 14:38:00
It's astounding... Time is fleeting. Madness takes its toll...

Barastir Posted - 18 Mar 2020 : 11:03:03
I remember reading somewhere that, some years ago, it was stated that time traveling was more a DragonLance than a Realms plot. Time traveling also tends to make canon confuse, that's why it is dealt so carefully.
cpthero2 Posted - 18 Mar 2020 : 09:30:27
Learned Scribe Renin,

I think DC is where they looked when they decided to go for the permanent approach of, make up what you want, how you want.

The silliness on WotC's part is they have done nothing to fill in that time, so everyone is doing it now on their own and I think they are missing the a real opportunity here.

Best regards,

cpthero2 Posted - 18 Mar 2020 : 09:28:25
Senior Scribe Seethyr,

I think you could make up anything at this point and it would work: I know of a couple companies that do so as is. ;) lol

Best regards,

Zeromaru X Posted - 18 Mar 2020 : 00:58:27
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

Makes all the summoned creatures REAL confused by how long it seemed they were away, when they would only disappear and reappear a nanosecond later. :D

This reminds me of a Doctor Who episode were half of a ship was trapped near a black hole, and while in that part of the ship centuries passed (enough for the descendants of the crew to create their own civilizations), in the other half on the ship only passed a few hours.
Seethyr Posted - 18 Mar 2020 : 00:46:47
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

I

Makes all the summoned creatures REAL confused by how long it seemed they were away, when they would only disappear and reappear a nanosecond later. :D

I hadn’t considered this and other possibly unforeseen complications. However, overall I’m kind of glad I have a reason to explain one of my major issues away.
Renin Posted - 18 Mar 2020 : 00:07:00
I read DC comics. This kind of hand-waving is nothing compared to that company.

The Spellplague could have just as easily made itself a reverse space-time dilation; where time outside the explosion itself seemed to slow and stop; everything on Toril just continued on like normal, until the KABOOM of the Spellplague drifted far enough away from the Weave for all time to match up again. So, 100 years on the planet was 10 minutes to all space, worlds, and dimensions around it.

Zeromaru X Posted - 17 Mar 2020 : 23:06:24
In fact, one of the things affected by the Spellplague was time itself. It was warped much like the rest of reality (see page 50 of the 4e FRCG). So, I guess what you propose it was not only feasible, but is what actually happened.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000