Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Hlondeth post-Spellplague?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
keftiu Posted - 11 Mar 2020 : 02:00:24
Was anything ever written about this city-state in the 4e era? I can’t find any info.
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 15 Sep 2020 : 02:34:02
Eric,

I so hope you are right about that. :) From your perspective, what design decisions are making you look at things like that?

I really hope you are correct by the way. Super hope you are correct!

Best regards,

ericlboyd Posted - 27 Mar 2020 : 14:52:52
Given likely design decisions, I would set it up so that the 1375 DR "status quo" is effectively back in place post-Spellplague, after a long wander away from them.
sleyvas Posted - 27 Mar 2020 : 12:08:48
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Possible direction I might take this, if it's ever needed, then:

Dediana discovers her son's ties to the Cult of the Dragon and executes him for his betrayal. The Spellplague hits and, much like Mount Hotenow far to the North, Mount Ugruth erupts, causing significant destruction (unlike Neverwinter, the city isn't ruined, but it definitely causes problems). Seeing this weakness as her moment to strike, the Serpent Sibyl challenges House Extaminos for power, her Se'sehen allies and her divine might leading her through an easy coup. In the century between the Spellplague and the modern day, she leads a very pragmatic reconstruction of the city, allowing for it to serve as a fortified heart to the empire she dreams of establishing. Captives are taken from across the Vilhon Wilds/Reach and further beyond to serve on her glorious altar to Sseth, and her agents aim to soften up those nearby lands (especially the city of Ormpetarr) for eventual conquest.

Gives the folk of the Vilhon Wilds/Reach and Turmish a public baddie to contend with (in contrast to the hidden threat of the Order of Blue Fire and the Abolethic Sovereignty), which I'm pretty happy with. If you want a more complex situation, the House Extaminos exiles may well become devoted to the interloper Zehir, seeing as Sseth seemingly abandoned them, and the Serpent Secession (whose name is terrible!) might still be kicking as a resistance movement.

Thoughts?

Since you've got a whole snake theme going (which it is known for that), then possibly extending the them in a similar direction might help. For instance, and the below could probably use some work, but throwing out an idea....

That eruption of Mount Ugruth is whispered to have been the results of SOME KIND OF betrayal against Talos by the gods during the Spellplague. In particular the priests of this chapter who tout the mysteries of the Circle of Rust and the Worm, state that when the mountain erupted, a manifestation Talos and of the orc god Gruumsh were seen in combat. Talos (looking much like the statue of Bhaelros in Calimshan) did fight with his faithful dragon (make up a name... see the old picture from the Empires of the Sands cover) at his side, and at the height of the combat, the dragon did turn and breathe a strange breath of blue fire that did spread throughout the city, turning his faithful into Salamanders, Firenewts, half-dragons, and Fire Genasi. Moments later, Mount Ugruth burst and both deities disappeared. Afterwards, many whisper that Gruumsh's actions were a result of Shar betraying Talos in an attempt to take his power. His now salamander priesthood believes Talos to still be alive in the intervening years, but simply banished to Abeir. They believe the volcano acts as a portal between the two worlds that requires the hearts of Sharran and orcish enemies be sacrificed to in order to reopen it. The priests of this sect continue to receive spells while within the Vilhon Reach, but report issues if they leave the area, which leads many to believe that a source of Talos' power remains nearby.

During the Second Sundering, it is reported did rumble and shake and release a small amount of lava. It is said that a head was seen to form in the lava, and many priests claim to have seen their god arise from the Volcano. He then did draw up his sleeping dragon (whose body had become the ring at the top of the Volcano's Caldera), and it is reported throughout the Vilhon that a flame bright dragon of enormous size was seen to be flying towards the heavens across the night sky.
cpthero2 Posted - 27 Mar 2020 : 06:57:36
Master Zeromaru X,

Well, that settles that then! Thank you for clarifying that. I will make good use of this information going forward!

Best regards,

keftiu Posted - 27 Mar 2020 : 02:50:30
Possible direction I might take this, if it's ever needed, then:

Dediana discovers her son's ties to the Cult of the Dragon and executes him for his betrayal. The Spellplague hits and, much like Mount Hotenow far to the North, Mount Ugruth erupts, causing significant destruction (unlike Neverwinter, the city isn't ruined, but it definitely causes problems). Seeing this weakness as her moment to strike, the Serpent Sibyl challenges House Extaminos for power, her Se'sehen allies and her divine might leading her through an easy coup. In the century between the Spellplague and the modern day, she leads a very pragmatic reconstruction of the city, allowing for it to serve as a fortified heart to the empire she dreams of establishing. Captives are taken from across the Vilhon Wilds/Reach and further beyond to serve on her glorious altar to Sseth, and her agents aim to soften up those nearby lands (especially the city of Ormpetarr) for eventual conquest.

Gives the folk of the Vilhon Wilds/Reach and Turmish a public baddie to contend with (in contrast to the hidden threat of the Order of Blue Fire and the Abolethic Sovereignty), which I'm pretty happy with. If you want a more complex situation, the House Extaminos exiles may well become devoted to the interloper Zehir, seeing as Sseth seemingly abandoned them, and the Serpent Secession (whose name is terrible!) might still be kicking as a resistance movement.

Thoughts?
Zeromaru X Posted - 26 Mar 2020 : 14:08:47
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It does rely on the Weave, as I recall -- it's just it's indirect. The gods draw the magic from the Weave and then pass it on.

As Ed put in on Twitter, it don't rely on the Weave. It just uses it because the Weave is efficient. But it's also an alternative to the Weave, and that meabs it generates it's own magic.
sleyvas Posted - 26 Mar 2020 : 11:51:36
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Learned Scribe keftiu,

I can't remember. I want to say that the Power did function, but not having read on that material much, I don't want to say yes or no. As to Varae, a possibility for sure assuming that the Power was still viable.

I agree about what the Power would have done, and it would have turned into a kinetic defined world really quick. Might equals right would have become all sorts of nasty fast. I did that rival faction deal with Tiamat cultists!

Best regards,

Varae was subsumed by Sseth, I believe, who is the deity of the yuan-ti in Hlondeth. It might be fun to explore a Zehir schismatic faction!

Perhaps in an odd twist, the city might turn a bit from religious zealotry and towards something else. My first thoughts there are towards the arcane, but a school of psionics might fit better. In fact, what if something like a wing of gem dragons showed up to help human and yuan-ti setup a school. I'm not sold on the idea myself, but having this place just be a mirror of Conan's Stygia…. I think something else needs to be added to shake it up a bit. In fact, not really religious zealotry, but what if a renewed church of Auppenser were to be created here in coordination with the school and maybe even the discovery of a Udoxias from the time of Jhaamdath that had been dormant being reawakened. Maybe the Udoxias awakens some latent talent in the people. It definitely could use some improvement, and I wouldn't have this override the nastiness of the Yuan-ti.
cpthero2 Posted - 26 Mar 2020 : 05:46:52
Master Zeromaru X,

Ahhh...thank you much good sir! :)

Best regards,

keftiu Posted - 26 Mar 2020 : 04:12:42
quote:

Learned Scribe keftiu,

I can't remember. I want to say that the Power did function, but not having read on that material much, I don't want to say yes or no. As to Varae, a possibility for sure assuming that the Power was still viable.

I agree about what the Power would have done, and it would have turned into a kinetic defined world really quick. Might equals right would have become all sorts of nasty fast. I did that rival faction deal with Tiamat cultists!

Best regards,

Varae was subsumed by Sseth, I believe, who is the deity of the yuan-ti in Hlondeth. It might be fun to explore a Zehir schismatic faction!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Mar 2020 : 04:09:51
It does rely on the Weave, as I recall -- it's just it's indirect. The gods draw the magic from the Weave and then pass it on.
Zeromaru X Posted - 26 Mar 2020 : 03:45:08
quote:

Did divine magic also fail during the Spellplague?

Nope, it worked as intended. Divine magic doesn't relies on the Weave, it just uses it as a better "conduit" compared to the "normal way" to get divine magic. That's why the gods of the Realms like to use the Weave. Effectiveness.

But when the Spellplague turned the Weave off, the gods were forced to use the old fashioned faith-grid conduit...
cpthero2 Posted - 25 Mar 2020 : 00:29:05
Learned Scribe keftiu,

Best regards,

keftiu Posted - 24 Mar 2020 : 20:29:30
quote:

Learned Scribe keftiu,

Several things would be important in determining how they fared. Without magic, it would be down to the mundane way of doing things purely.

It would come down to their military and economic conditions to maintain that military. With resources being critical right after, if they had the ability to project kinetic force (since no magic is there), they could dominate other local powers and take their resources, i.e. slaves, food, land, specie, stores, conscripted military and more.

I think that would get quite ancient warfare and really, really ugly right after that kind of catastrophe.

Best regards,

Did divine magic also fail during the Spellplague? They might've had a lot of help from "Varae" (actually one of the yuan-ti deities) for both honey and vinegar - they could heal and feed people, and also empower warriors. There's also a few rival factions in their 3e writeup (Tiamat cultists, a cell of the Cult of the Dragon, and a heresy) who all could've made a play for power in the chaos or century after.
keftiu Posted - 24 Mar 2020 : 20:26:58
quote:

Yeah, the receding sea somehow didn't seem to impact anything, other than making part of Myth Nantar above water (despite the fact it was more than 300 under the surface) and having the Sharksbane Wall above water. The later, in particular, should have had dramatic impacts on climate, trade, and on aquatic beings of all types, but this was also ignored.

Looking at the maps, the shorelines didn't even change.

It's also supposed to have resurfaced Jhaamdathan ruins, which makes me think the Vilhon Wilds are probably lousy with wild talents (and possibly ghosts).
cpthero2 Posted - 24 Mar 2020 : 19:18:04
Learned Scribe keftiu,

Several things would be important in determining how they fared. Without magic, it would be down to the mundane way of doing things purely.

It would come down to their military and economic conditions to maintain that military. With resources being critical right after, if they had the ability to project kinetic force (since no magic is there), they could dominate other local powers and take their resources, i.e. slaves, food, land, specie, stores, conscripted military and more.

I think that would get quite ancient warfare and really, really ugly right after that kind of catastrophe.

Best regards,

Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Mar 2020 : 18:59:54
Yeah, the receding sea somehow didn't seem to impact anything, other than making part of Myth Nantar above water (despite the fact it was more than 300 under the surface) and having the Sharksbane Wall above water. The later, in particular, should have had dramatic impacts on climate, trade, and on aquatic beings of all types, but this was also ignored.

Looking at the maps, the shorelines didn't even change.
keftiu Posted - 24 Mar 2020 : 18:10:06
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

So if it didn't port to Abeir during the Spellplague, I'd think they were pretty devastated by the receding sea and other turmoil. If they did port, they might have thrived in Abeir and come back stronger.

We know it stayed; there’s a brief mention of a trade route running to it in the FRCG, which means it’s still intact enough to be doing international business.
TomCosta Posted - 24 Mar 2020 : 13:38:51
So if it didn't port to Abeir during the Spellplague, I'd think they were pretty devastated by the receding sea and other turmoil. If they did port, they might have thrived in Abeir and come back stronger.
keftiu Posted - 24 Mar 2020 : 10:56:45
To gently sneak back on topic: how do folks think the city is doing, a hundred years and a Spellplague past their Serpent Kingdoms writeup? I could see them being a regional power in the Vilhon Wilds, given that it and Ormpetarrr are the only major cities left on the region and the latter is sort of in shambles.
ericlboyd Posted - 24 Mar 2020 : 10:39:48
It's all true. No matter what you heard.
cpthero2 Posted - 12 Mar 2020 : 02:00:32
Master Rupert,

This may just be rumor, but apparently that Eric Boyd guy drinks Dwarven Ale while trying to find cones of fire.

I just heard it from a bard in Riatavin. No idea if it's true or not.

Best regards,

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

The major temple gets a lot of love in Powers & Pantheons ...

Yeah, but it was written by that Eric L Boyd guy, so who pays attention to that one?

(Honestly, I love those three books, and those are always the first place I look for divine info. I was looking at that book just yesterday to see if my idea for an undead, vengeance-based NPC would be something Hoar would support.)

ericlboyd Posted - 11 Mar 2020 : 11:50:12
I always thought it would be fun to play a revenant commoner who comes back as a cleric or crusader of Hoar. His chief foe is the BBEG of the campaign (e.g. Manshoon) but he hates on the whole organization (e.g. the Zhentarim) and their allies (e.g. Church of Bane). Of course, he dies permanently after final battle of campaign.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Mar 2020 : 11:25:04
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Yeah, but it was written by that Eric L Boyd guy, so who pays attention to that one?

(Honestly, I love those three books, and those are always the first place I look for divine info. I was looking at that book just yesterday to see if my idea for an undead, vengeance-based NPC would be something Hoar would support.)
ericlboyd Posted - 11 Mar 2020 : 10:50:47
cpthero2 Posted - 11 Mar 2020 : 06:24:14
Learned Scribe keftiu,

Ahhhh, nice call on that. You are right: that is a serious write up there, all things considered!

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Learned Scribe keftiu,

No, it was just Rand's Travelogue and the Vilhon Reach accessory that covered that.

Best regards,

quote:

Was anything ever written about this city-state in the 4e era? I can’t find any info.

It got a fairly meaty writeup in Serpent Kingdoms, in 3e, but other than a single reference to it still existing in the FRCG I can't seem to find anything.

keftiu Posted - 11 Mar 2020 : 05:55:11
quote:

Learned Scribe keftiu,

No, it was just Rand's Travelogue and the Vilhon Reach accessory that covered that.

Best regards,

quote:

It got a fairly meaty writeup in Serpent Kingdoms, in 3e, but other than a single reference to it still existing in the FRCG I can't seem to find anything.
cpthero2 Posted - 11 Mar 2020 : 05:50:52
Learned Scribe keftiu,

Best regards,

quote:

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000