Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Languages of Impiltur/Damara

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
   
Message:

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

  Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.
    

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zauviera Posted - 14 Sep 2003 : 00:23:20
I am currently setting up to continue a campaign in Impiltur [3rd Ed version]. The characters will get whisked there by an evil wizardess from my own customized world of Terraquae. One of the things I did for my world was to create word generators for the languages of the region. In this way I generated sentences in that language, which sometimes required a translator to be hired in order to comprehend.

My main question is this: Has any 'official' vocabulary or grammer been created for Impilturian/Damaran?

My 3rd ed. "Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting" [FRCS20] p 31:
Impiltur - Automatic Languages: Damaran

This tens to indicate that Impilturian = Damaran (or a dialect thereof)

[FRCS20] - p85 - Damaran Language:
Damaran Language is spoken in Damara, The Great Dale, Impiltur, The Moonsea, Narfell, Thesk, Vaasa, and The Vast. It uses the Dethek Alphabet

Is Damaran (or dialects thereof) the official language of all these?

2nd Ed. "A Grand Tour of the Realms" [GTotR] p 116:
“The people of Damara are similar to those of the Dales in appearance and attitude, It is as though the Damarans and the Dalesmen sprung from the same wandering peoples”.

I am assuming here that they are talking about “The Dalelands” (Including: Shadowdale, Mistledale, Daggerdale, Harrowdale etc, and Elminster’s Home) and not “The Great Dale” which is to the East of Impiltur, and a separate country. This phrase suggests a common origin to their languages, so is Damaran modified Dalespeak? Or is it vice-versa?

but [FRCS20] p 30:
Dalelands- Automatic Languages: Chondathan

Does this mean Dalespeak = Chondathan?

If thus, is Chondathan related - say much like English and German? or is it closer to German and Dutch? - to Damaran

I have seen webpages that link Impulturian to Low German and Damaran to High German/Swiss, but this may just be their own idea. I didn't see any official sanctioning of this idea.

I already have a generator, based on a German wordlist, ready to use for Damaran, if nothing official exists, but an extant vocabulary would save days (months, years?) of work.

TIA [Thanks in Advance]

Zau'









8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 14 Feb 2020 : 20:50:38
Master Krashos,

Indeed I am a patient man. It will be great to see it when it comes out! :)

Best regards,




quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Krashos,

If the unofficial list is able to be shared that you are referencing, would you mind sharing it here? I'd love to take a look at it.

Best regards,




We (Eric Boyd and I with Ed's input) are working on a few things where new (and/or expanded) Realms languages will feature tangentially, so all will be revealed in time. Hopefully you are a patient sort.

-- George Krashos

George Krashos Posted - 12 Feb 2020 : 07:29:02
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Krashos,

If the unofficial list is able to be shared that you are referencing, would you mind sharing it here? I'd love to take a look at it.

Best regards,




We (Eric Boyd and I with Ed's input) are working on a few things where new (and/or expanded) Realms languages will feature tangentially, so all will be revealed in time. Hopefully you are a patient sort.

-- George Krashos
cpthero2 Posted - 11 Feb 2020 : 16:45:27
Master Krashos,

If the unofficial list is able to be shared that you are referencing, would you mind sharing it here? I'd love to take a look at it.

Best regards,



quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader Krashos,

Do you know of any master list of materials since that have been put together regarding this issue?

Best regards,



quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Official? No. Unofficial ...

-- George Krashos





Do I know of any master list of languages etc ... yes. Is it official and published. No.

-- George Krashos

George Krashos Posted - 11 Feb 2020 : 05:10:14
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader Krashos,

Do you know of any master list of materials since that have been put together regarding this issue?

Best regards,



quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Official? No. Unofficial ...

-- George Krashos





Do I know of any master list of languages etc ... yes. Is it official and published. No.

-- George Krashos
cpthero2 Posted - 10 Feb 2020 : 21:21:45
Great Reader Krashos,

Do you know of any master list of materials since that have been put together regarding this issue?

Best regards,



quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Official? No. Unofficial ...

-- George Krashos

cpthero2 Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 03:29:36
Master Krashos,

Agreed. There are so many wonderful, rich unofficial sources for language, and some official ones of...eh, value. I have to admit though: I would love to see efforts made to expand the scripted languages beyond what is there in a much more complicated way.

Best regards,



quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Official? No. Unofficial ...

-- George Krashos

George Krashos Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 01:12:25
Official? No. Unofficial ...

-- George Krashos
cpthero2 Posted - 27 Sep 2018 : 23:32:39
Acolyte Zauviera,

The short answer is: no. However, a really great resource is 'Dragon Annual #4', starting on page 24. It is a fantastic resource for languages, but alas, no script specifically for Impiltur (which would be Damaraan, and from there form a sub-group from Netherese).

Best regards, and I hope that helps some.




quote:
Originally posted by Zauviera

I am currently setting up to continue a campaign in Impiltur [3rd Ed version]. The characters will get whisked there by an evil wizardess from my own customized world of Terraquae. One of the things I did for my world was to create word generators for the languages of the region. In this way I generated sentences in that language, which sometimes required a translator to be hired in order to comprehend.

My main question is this: Has any 'official' vocabulary or grammer been created for Impilturian/Damaran?

My 3rd ed. "Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting" [FRCS20] p 31:
Impiltur - Automatic Languages: Damaran

This tens to indicate that Impilturian = Damaran (or a dialect thereof)

[FRCS20] - p85 - Damaran Language:
Damaran Language is spoken in Damara, The Great Dale, Impiltur, The Moonsea, Narfell, Thesk, Vaasa, and The Vast. It uses the Dethek Alphabet

Is Damaran (or dialects thereof) the official language of all these?

2nd Ed. "A Grand Tour of the Realms" [GTotR] p 116:
“The people of Damara are similar to those of the Dales in appearance and attitude, It is as though the Damarans and the Dalesmen sprung from the same wandering peoples”.

I am assuming here that they are talking about “The Dalelands” (Including: Shadowdale, Mistledale, Daggerdale, Harrowdale etc, and Elminster’s Home) and not “The Great Dale” which is to the East of Impiltur, and a separate country. This phrase suggests a common origin to their languages, so is Damaran modified Dalespeak? Or is it vice-versa?

but [FRCS20] p 30:
Dalelands- Automatic Languages: Chondathan

Does this mean Dalespeak = Chondathan?

If thus, is Chondathan related - say much like English and German? or is it closer to German and Dutch? - to Damaran

I have seen webpages that link Impulturian to Low German and Damaran to High German/Swiss, but this may just be their own idea. I didn't see any official sanctioning of this idea.

I already have a generator, based on a German wordlist, ready to use for Damaran, if nothing official exists, but an extant vocabulary would save days (months, years?) of work.

TIA [Thanks in Advance]

Zau'












Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000