Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What would Karsus think of the modern Netherese?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
keftiu Posted - 11 Feb 2020 : 02:26:13
Found out recently that 3.5 had enough of the archmage lingering on for there to be a Vestige that Binders had access to, and while chewing on the character potential of that, it made me wonder; how would he view the shade-warped, Shar-worshiping descendants of the empire he worked so hard for?

I’m not an expert on Netherese lore, especially the older material, but I have to wonder if his old disdain for Mystryl might similarly color his opinion of Shar, and that he might rankle at seeing the Netherese so thoroughly in her sway.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LordofBones Posted - 15 Feb 2020 : 05:47:02
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

My opinion is that there has been far too much emphasis on the "named" arcanists of Netheril and far too little on the Netherese society at large.

My son and I were having a discussion the other day about the Realms. He pointed out that every other dungeon should have a sign that says "Yet another dwarfhold overrun by orcs." And that every other magical beast should have a sign that says "Yet another Netherese arcanist in a lab coat behaving irresponsibly."

Made me laugh, at least. :-)

My new headcanon is that all Netherese arcanists speak with a heavy, almost unintelligible German accent.
Brimstone Posted - 15 Feb 2020 : 02:42:36
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-No sir, I don't like 'em. Don't like 'em one bit.

Well, there it is folks!
Lord Karsus Posted - 15 Feb 2020 : 01:04:35
-No sir, I don't like 'em. Don't like 'em one bit.
BrennonGoldeye Posted - 12 Feb 2020 : 16:58:57
quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller Hero

I'm tossing in a shout for the Netherese ancestors and descendants living in Selunarra, the enclave that was saved by Selune during the Folly.

I'm still trying to get together the years of stuff I have on Opus. It was a base of operations in a decade long Epic Campaign of ours. It's just such a massive pain to get "DMs Guild" ready.
ericlboyd Posted - 12 Feb 2020 : 16:49:18
My opinion is that there has been far too much emphasis on the "named" arcanists of Netheril and far too little on the Netherese society at large.

My son and I were having a discussion the other day about the Realms. He pointed out that every other dungeon should have a sign that says "Yet another dwarfhold overrun by orcs." And that every other magical beast should have a sign that says "Yet another Netherese arcanist in a lab coat behaving irresponsibly."

Made me laugh, at least. :-)
Storyteller Hero Posted - 12 Feb 2020 : 16:42:56
I'm tossing in a shout for the Netherese ancestors and descendants living in Selunarra, the enclave that was saved by Selune during the Folly.

BrennonGoldeye Posted - 12 Feb 2020 : 16:32:10
quote:
Originally posted by keftiu

Found out recently that 3.5 had enough of the archmage lingering on for there to be a Vestige that Binders had access to, and while chewing on the character potential of that, it made me wonder; how would he view the shade-warped, Shar-worshiping descendants of the empire he worked so hard for?

I’m not an expert on Netherese lore, especially the older material, but I have to wonder if his old disdain for Mystryl might similarly color his opinion of Shar, and that he might rankle at seeing the Netherese so thoroughly in her sway.

Hmm... Let me see if I can summon him up.... LK? Are you there LK?
_Jarlaxle_ Posted - 11 Feb 2020 : 22:07:56
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas
I also think Karsus wold be disappointed in Telamont Tanthul, seeing he was once his student, and Telamont became a god's (Shar's) servant.

Good point.

I don't know what he would think about Shade, but I guess he would stay away from them like Larloch or Ioulaum where doing. Trying to watch them without them knowing about him and waiting for an opurtunity to get some benefits out of them.
Baltas Posted - 11 Feb 2020 : 19:23:20
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm inclined to favor this view... The whole idea of Karsus as some sort of benevolent madman was something that came later; he was originally depicted as an egomaniac.

I think a reborn Karsus would be most concerned with how anyone -- Netherese or otherwise -- could aid his goals. He might be more favorably inclined towards those of Netherese descent, but he'd also regard them as having fallen from what the Netherese once were. Even the Shades and Halruaans would be lessers, in his view, since the Netherese were somewhat disdainful of deities.

Indeed. I also think Karsus wold be disappointed in Telamont Tanthul, seeing he was once his student, and Telamont became a god's (Shar's) servant.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Feb 2020 : 19:08:36
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Karsus would likely think of modern Netherese much the same way he'd think of ancient Netherese: as (inferior) peers, underlings, vassals, pawns, and servants - or as threats and adversaries to be confronted. Assuming these Netherese had any abilities which would make them useful, of course.

Karsus was always a brilliant fanatic. And in the end he suffered from world-shattering god-killing megalomania, arrogance, and insanity.

I'm inclined to favor this view... The whole idea of Karsus as some sort of benevolent madman was something that came later; he was originally depicted as an egomaniac.

I think a reborn Karsus would be most concerned with how anyone -- Netherese or otherwise -- could aid his goals. He might be more favorably inclined towards those of Netherese descent, but he'd also regard them as having fallen from what the Netherese once were. Even the Shades and Halruaans would be lessers, in his view, since the Netherese were somewhat disdainful of deities.
sleyvas Posted - 11 Feb 2020 : 17:25:47
I see Karsus favoring the Halruaans over the Netherese in modern day. Both are ancestors of Netheril mind you. BTW, there are "Karsites" as a race in Tome of Magic, as humans with a lack of magic potential, and if I were to place them anywhere it would be Halruaa. The monks of Halruaa that Elaine created that are very magic resistant would make perfect "descendants" of this race (I forget the name of them).
Ayrik Posted - 11 Feb 2020 : 03:03:19
Karsus would likely think of modern Netherese much the same way he'd think of ancient Netherese: as (inferior) peers, underlings, vassals, pawns, and servants - or as threats and adversaries to be confronted. Assuming these Netherese had any abilities which would make them useful, of course.

Karsus was always a brilliant fanatic. And in the end he suffered from world-shattering god-killing megalomania, arrogance, and insanity.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000