Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dragonspear Castle Resources (All Editions)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Grumpy Hamatula Posted - 09 Feb 2020 : 17:35:04
Well met, all,

I did a search for this topic, but I didn't seem to turn anything up that addressed the matter directly. My apologies if it was overlooked.

I am in the early stages of putting a project together centered on Dragonspear Castle in the early 1490s DR, so I am collecting as much information as possible about the castle, its environs, and its inhabitants.

Currently I have access to core setting books for all editions (as well as many supplements, particularly for 2e and 3.x), and I also have access to the following Dragonspear-specific material:

-Hordes of Dragonspear
-Dead in Thay
-Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle

I am also aware of the existence of the "Spawn of Dragonspear" gamebook from 1988, though I don't yet have a copy.

However, I am wondering whether I have overlooked any instances of lore. For instance, I didn't know about "Spawn" until recently. Might you know of any particular callouts, references to, or discussions of Dragonspear Castle in any lesser-known or less commonly available sources, or perhaps in any novels?

Many thanks!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Grumpy Hamatula Posted - 14 Feb 2020 : 15:43:29
Thank you! I'll certainly do so! I've already digested part of it, and several questions have come to mind. I'll see if I can condense and consolidate them as I read.
ericlboyd Posted - 14 Feb 2020 : 13:32:39
After you read Under Illefarn Anew, PM me.
Grumpy Hamatula Posted - 14 Feb 2020 : 12:52:00
Many thanks! I've never managed to round up a copy of the FR Atlas over the years; I'll have to address that.
TomCosta Posted - 14 Feb 2020 : 01:45:21
The FR Atlas has a map of some of the tunnels leading from Dragonspear to the High Moor and mentioned in the Avatar Trilogy.
Grumpy Hamatula Posted - 09 Feb 2020 : 21:05:28
Many thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely give them a look, especially Under Illefarn Anew.

Incidentally, Spawn of Dragonspear appears to be something of a minor pain to get hold of. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know what the lore content of the book is like? If it's minimal or thoroughly covered elsewhere, I won't prioritize hunting it down, but if it's got something special or unique, I'll move it up higher on the list.
Arivia Posted - 09 Feb 2020 : 19:38:58
One major set of sources you're missing is the Avatar series, which dealt with a couple attacks at the Castle and the Fountain of Nepenthe underneath it, a portal to the Fugue Plane. (Avatar Series Book 3: Waterdeep; FRE3 Waterdeep; Forgotten Realms Atlas for this.)

Elminster's Ecologies II: The High Moor and Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast have sections detailing Dragonspear Castle. The Grand History of the Realms has details on its building and so on.

Marco Volo Departure for details on the Way Inn in the 1360s.

Lands of Intrigue and City of Splendors: Waterdeep for info on the Dragonspear War of 1356 DR.

There's a May 15, 2004 response by Ed in his thread here about what's going on at Dragonspear in the 1370s.

And there's scattered references in the North for 2e and N4 Under Illefarn; you should definitely check out Eric Boyd's Under Illefarn Anew because it ties together a lot of details, particularly about Kanaglym.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000