Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Cone of Fire Spell?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ericlboyd Posted - 08 Feb 2020 : 11:56:39
Dumb question, but I know there was a spell in 2e or 3e, probably written by Ed, that allows the wizard to breathe a cone of fire. For the life of me I can't find it. (I really want the 3e version, but all I can find is the acid and frost version found in the Spell Compendium.)
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TheIriaeban Posted - 10 Feb 2020 : 03:36:18
That is why I take lots of notes. Each session gets an after action report, entry in the campaign timeline, and any needed additions to home-baked lore. That also lets me pick up on adventure threads that can be used in later sessions that will have built-in motivations for why the characters would want to go on a certain adventure. That makes it less of "Lord NPC wants to hire you to do X" and more of "did you hear about X? We need to do something about that!"
Seethyr Posted - 10 Feb 2020 : 02:55:19
Omg this thread is hysterical. I forget my own lore all the time too and my players don’t.
TheIriaeban Posted - 09 Feb 2020 : 00:55:51
Yeah, that wouldn't work for me. I have pdfs but I also have stuff in other formats: notes, new spells, home-baked FR lore, campaign specific rule modifications, Wizard FR web articles, the 2e monstrous compendium, spreadsheets of various data, and finally pc and npc data. Converting all that to pdf isn't really an option, either (the spells file is already 539 pages and growing). I just put it out there in case someone else was in the same kind of situation.
TBeholder Posted - 08 Feb 2020 : 23:57:11
I use pdfgrep.
TheIriaeban Posted - 08 Feb 2020 : 18:41:31
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Have you tried searching all the pdfs at once.

Put all your dragon and polyhedron in a folder (they need to be OCR'd for it to work so if you cant select the text in pdf then you cant search it).
Then open a single pdf, select edit from the top menu and select search. In the menu that appears is the option to search all pdfs in a folder. That trick has saved me hours of opening and closing pdfs (just make sure you leave one pdf open or it closes the search menu and all your results.

To go beyond just searching pdfs, you can include the file locations in your file indexes in Windows 10 (this is what I have done since it lets me search pdfs, Word files, text files, etc all at one time). That way, I just open a file explorer window and type the term I am looking for in the search box and hit Enter. Just remember that if you have one file explorer window open with a search result, you cannot open another one and do another search (you won't be able to type in the search box until the first window is closed/backed out of a search).

Here is a link that explains the search index in Windows and another link on how to configure it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4098843/windows-10-search-indexing-faq

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-10-index-files-improve-search,5593.html
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Feb 2020 : 16:50:52
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Yep, that's the one.

I love discovering stuff I don't remember writing. ;-) I usually agree with it!

Was alcohol involved in the writing of this book?

We'll go with that and not old age.

ericlboyd Posted - 08 Feb 2020 : 16:47:28
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Yep, that's the one.

We'll go with that and not old age.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Feb 2020 : 15:37:58
quote:

Yep, that's the one.

ericlboyd Posted - 08 Feb 2020 : 14:37:39
Yep, that's the one.

Thanks all,

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Dumb question, but I know there was a spell in 2e or 3e, probably written by Ed, that allows the wizard to breathe a cone of fire. For the life of me I can't find it. (I really want the 3e version, but all I can find is the acid and frost version found in the Spell Compendium.)

You wrote it!

Palandarusk's Fire Breath, CoS:W 156.

Spell Compendium has a fire cone spell (Fire Blast, p.31) but that doesn't have the caster breathing it out.

Arivia Posted - 08 Feb 2020 : 14:08:47
quote:

You wrote it!

Palandarusk's Fire Breath, CoS:W 156.

Spell Compendium has a fire cone spell (Fire Blast, p.31) but that doesn't have the caster breathing it out.
Gareth Posted - 08 Feb 2020 : 13:25:13
Fire Breath?

From "Campaign Classics: Oriental Adventures" by Dave "Zeb" Cook, in Dragon 229, p.58
Gareth Posted - 08 Feb 2020 : 13:21:45
Dragon Breath?

From "3 Wizards Too Many" by Ed Greenwood, in Dragon 196, p.89
_Jarlaxle_ Posted - 08 Feb 2020 : 13:21:13
The 3.5 Spell Compendium has several breath weapon related spells.
For example this one
quote:

Dragon Breath: You choose a dragon type and
mimic its breath weapon.
Gary Dallison Posted - 08 Feb 2020 : 12:19:27
Have you tried searching all the pdfs at once.

Put all your dragon and polyhedron in a folder (they need to be OCR'd for it to work so if you cant select the text in pdf then you cant search it).
Then open a single pdf, select edit from the top menu and select search. In the menu that appears is the option to search all pdfs in a folder. That trick has saved me hours of opening and closing pdfs (just make sure you leave one pdf open or it closes the search menu and all your results.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000