Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Best Dragon/Dungeon magazine articles?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
keftiu Posted - 05 Feb 2020 : 07:58:24
Looking specifically for FR content, though I wouldn't to hear about others. More focused on lore; crunch is useless to me,
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Baltas Posted - 09 Feb 2020 : 00:22:36
Well, aside fro the mentioned articles here, we have Tom M. Costa's article "Speaking in Tongues" from Dragon Magazine Annual 1999/Dragon Annual 4, which details the (human) linguistics of the Realms, and still has a lot of interesting lore within in (ie do you know Lantanna is an Imaskari language?).

There is also the "The New Adventures of Volo", "Volo's Guide", "Wyrms of the North" series of articles by Ed Greenwood:
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/The_New_Adventures_of_Volo
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Volo%27s_Guide
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Wyrms_of_the_North

I also recommend articles by Brian R. James, including "Grand History of the Realms: The Moonshaes" from Dragon #362; "Sarifal" from Dragon #376; "Chessenta" from Dungeon #178; "Hall of the Frostmaiden" from Dragon #367; "Monument of the Ancients" (co-written with his brother Matt James) from Dungeon #170.

Outside the Realms, but still being able to use it, there are "History Check: Corellon and Gruumsh" by Jeff LaSala Dragon Magazine #408 (curiously the writer used suggestions by Markustay); The Codex of Betrayal, and Demonomicon of Iggwilv series of articles, as well as Ecology of the Succubus from Dragon Magazine #417.
Seethyr Posted - 07 Feb 2020 : 17:19:29
I used to tear apart the novels, finishing most in only a day or two. Seeing my favorite characters come to life both statistically and artistically in articles called “Rogues Gallery” was always a treat.
Delnyn Posted - 07 Feb 2020 : 04:32:59
I liked Dragon 75 and 76 the most. Ed Greenwood's articles on the Nine Hells.
AJA Posted - 07 Feb 2020 : 02:42:13

Most of my favorite articles are Ed's early ones (like Pages From the Mages), and have been reproduced in a number of other products.

I'm currently partial to DRAGON #335, which has two Elaine Cunningham articles (one the only real in-depth look at New Olamn, and the other an Elaith short-story). Also, all of Steven Schend's Waterdeep and Undermountain articles (#211, #227, others I'm forgetting)

Storyteller Hero Posted - 05 Feb 2020 : 14:01:45
Jeff Grubb wrote a short story titled "Reunification" for DRAGON 247 that brings a sense of closure to the Forgotten Realms comic book series.

I was really glad that it was written since the ending of the series left a bit of dissatisfaction for the reader.

George Krashos Posted - 05 Feb 2020 : 13:56:19
Dragon #110.

-- George Krashos
Barastir Posted - 05 Feb 2020 : 13:26:20
On Realms-specific articles, I like very much the "Down-to-earth divinity" (from Dragon Magazine #54) and a non-canonized article on the Green Elves of Faerūn (Dragon #222). As for other articles, although I like a lot of them, I prefer the one with combat tactics for wild animals in 2e (Dragon #187), and those about low-magic items, along with many from the "Bazar of the Bizarre" section.

EDIT: Inclusion of the magazine issue numbers.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Feb 2020 : 11:18:44
Here's a place you can start: a listing of Realms articles in the print version of Dragon.

https://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/realms.html

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000