Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SiriusBlack Posted - 15 Jun 2004 : 06:21:45
Okay, a message in another thread got me thinking about trying this idea, so here we go.

How about a round of Forgotten Realms trivia? I’ve seen something similar to this used on other boards and I’m curious to see if it will work at Candlekeep.

The idea is that one scribe, me for example to start off, asks a FR question based on a fact from any FR gaming product or novel.

The first person to answer that question correctly and properly cite where the answer can be found, asks a question of their own.

The process then continues with each successful answer.

I hope that made sense. But, let’s show an example

quote:

Example question: Where is the Grandfather Tree located?

Someone else would then answer:

quote:

Example answer: The High Forest (Forgotten Realms Campaign Supplement, page 166).

The person who answers can then ask their own question. That make sense? If so, here are some fast rules:

1. Remember FR gaming products or novels.

2. Please know the answer to your question. I think if a day has passed and no one has been able to answer correctly, it’s time to offer hints or pick another question.

3. Please if you can properly cite your answer as in the above example. If you don’t know the page number, that’s fine, but at least be able to reference the product/novel. This method will help the less informed, like myself, find the answer and perhaps read up on something we find interesting.

Well, if that made sense, here goes. I’ll ask the first question and whoever gets the question right and provides some citation can then ask their own and so on…

Sirius’ Question:

Who wielded the Craulnober moonblade before it passed to Elaith? And yes, I’m looking for a name.

Yes, I know easy. But, anyone who knows me had to realize my first question would be something to do with Elaith. I am curious to see what questions others come up with and how challenging they might be.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 01 Mar 2020 : 03:01:26
Great Reader Masked Mage,

The Ullathar rune signifies safe passage. (Forgotten Realms Adventures, page 86) However, I'd like to add in there that the Ullathar rune is an elder rune. ;)

My question is:

What Inn is famous for having a magnificent tapestry depicting an Elven hunt, that is enchanted and has two hunting parties in extravagant armor and a nobles clothes pursuing a boar whilst their mounts negotiate all manner of obstacles?

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Ok - here goes, time to resurrect this scroll yet again. Good luck to all who wish to throw their hats into the trivia ring!

In response to concerns voiced in the most recent of posts I will start with a question with an answer available to those without an amassed Forgotten Realms library. As such this information is available in sources both very old and very new:

What does the rune Ullathar signify?

Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Jan 2018 : 04:35:59
Holy carp! I'd forgotten that this was originally the work of my senile and long-absent friend SiriusBlack. Out of all the once-active scribes who have fallen silent, he's one of the ones I miss the most.
The Masked Mage Posted - 27 Jan 2018 : 21:08:32
Ok - here goes, time to resurrect this scroll yet again. Good luck to all who wish to throw their hats into the trivia ring!

In response to concerns voiced in the most recent of posts I will start with a question with an answer available to those without an amassed Forgotten Realms library. As such this information is available in sources both very old and very new:

What does the rune Ullathar signify?
George Krashos Posted - 14 Feb 2005 : 12:16:53
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Some of you might like to look at the Forgotten Realms Quiz at the Worlds of D&D boards and give the posters there a hand with my questions.

It's fun! It's easy!

Certainly fun, hardly easy Faraer. Your questions have to be the hardest I've seen because they are both specific and generic at the same time with nary a place/person name or product hook to give you an idea of where to look. They lack realmslore, m'boy!

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Feb 2005 : 06:33:15
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

While many of us love the Realms, having the source material is not always possible. As much as I'd like to browse e-bay for old edition material, I don't always have the time or money. Sometimes it is tough enough keeping up with the current books.

That said, perhaps we could try to have the majority of the questions answerable to those who read the novels and/or have the v.3.0/v.3.5 materials? Throw in the early edition questions on occasion if you've seen related material come up in discussion here at the Keep lately.

This and 2cp and you'll still be poor.

I don't know that I'd go that far... But I do favor keeping it to the more mainstream sources. No questions off the Realms-L list, for example, or questions from the comics or computer games...

Even leaving those things out, there's just so much available lore in 1st and 2nd edition... We don't have a tenth part of that yet in 3.x.
hammer of Moradin Posted - 14 Feb 2005 : 06:13:18
While many of us love the Realms, having the source material is not always possible. As much as I'd like to browse e-bay for old edition material, I don't always have the time or money. Sometimes it is tough enough keeping up with the current books.

That said, perhaps we could try to have the majority of the questions answerable to those who read the novels and/or have the v.3.0/v.3.5 materials? Throw in the early edition questions on occasion if you've seen related material come up in discussion here at the Keep lately.

This and 2cp and you'll still be poor.
Faraer Posted - 13 Feb 2005 : 20:39:46
Some of you might like to look at the Forgotten Realms Quiz at the Worlds of D&D boards and give the posters there a hand with my questions.

It's fun! It's easy!
ericlboyd Posted - 09 Aug 2004 : 16:02:21
Sorry to be so obscure. I figured a few of you had a complete collection.

--Eric
martynq Posted - 09 Aug 2004 : 15:44:20
Yes, I agree... plus Dungeon #30 is very very ancient and so impossible to get hold of now. If only someone would arrange for these to be downloadable from some location (legally of course!).

Martyn
Lord Rad Posted - 09 Aug 2004 : 15:18:38
Whoah! Pretty cryptic, Eric
I dont own many issues of Dungeon at all, so despite my large FR collection, I doubt I would have got the answer.
ericlboyd Posted - 09 Aug 2004 : 13:55:26
Ilsheen is a watchghost (hence the "watch") described in Dungeon #30 (hence the "dungeon" and "30 pieces of silver"), page 20, in an adventure by Ed Greenwood (hence the "Sage of Greenwood") entitled "Elminster's Back Door" (hence the "door"). I think she was the first watchghost to appear in print. This is one of two adventures (I think) that Ed Greewood has written for Dungeon.

The "Land Under Shadow" is a poetic reference to Shadowdale (really referring to the region when it was ruled by the drow, see Cormanthyr).

Ieiridauna Amalree is a watchghost, also created by Ed Greenwood, who guards the mansion of Mirt the Moneylender. She appears in Elminster's Daughter, Hand of Fire, and here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/ieiridaunacp. Their descriptions are quite reminiscent of one another.

Someone else throw out a question.

--Eric
martynq Posted - 09 Aug 2004 : 12:30:50
What a library somewhere in Canada???

I think your question might be too hard, Eric, since none of us seem to be able to answer it. I tried looking on my very incomplete database of references and found no reference to "Ilsheen" or "Ieiridauna Amalree". A reference to Elminster is way too general (IMHO) and the phrase "Lands Under Shadow" crops up in the Shadowdale booklet from the second gray box to refer to Shadowdale when it was under drow occupation. So, I'm completely stuck... is this in some rather obscure sourcebook or Dragon magazine, or is in one of the novels (which I have never even considered reading I'm afraid)?

Martyn
ericlboyd Posted - 08 Aug 2004 : 02:05:23
Hint: Tis a dungeon through which the Sage of Greenwood wanders ...

--Eric
George Krashos Posted - 07 Aug 2004 : 13:43:46
"Land under Shadow" isn't the Underdark region beneath/around Shadowdale? ... Curiouser and curiouser.

-- George Krashos
ericlboyd Posted - 06 Aug 2004 : 23:14:44
Underdark? She's not in the Underdark.

Hint: It would take more than 30 pieces of silver to get past the door she guards.

--Eric
George Krashos Posted - 06 Aug 2004 : 13:56:36
Shoot, Eric! What product/novel talks about a watchghost that is in the Underdark near Shadowdale? I'm drawing a huge blank here ...

-- George Krashos
ericlboyd Posted - 06 Aug 2004 : 11:48:50
Hint: Her "creation" is akin to that of Ieiridauna Amalree
in more ways than one.
Lord Rad Posted - 05 Aug 2004 : 18:00:25
Dont be so sure its a quiet time of year with holidays etc. Someone will answer soon enough. Come on scribes, dont like Eric defeat you What kind of FR fans are you? youre a bunch of... OOF
Sarelle Posted - 05 Aug 2004 : 14:42:10
I'm getting the feeling that Trivia is dead?
ericlboyd Posted - 05 Aug 2004 : 13:11:19
Another hint: Her watch is eternal in the Land Under Shadow.

--Eric
ericlboyd Posted - 04 Aug 2004 : 13:51:40
I guess a hint is in order.

Elminster has more than a passing interest in her role.
ericlboyd Posted - 03 Aug 2004 : 03:22:06
I'll throw a question into the mix:

Who is Ilsheen, and what is her role?

--Eric
Sarelle Posted - 03 Aug 2004 : 00:59:04
Okay - I'm guessing that my question isn't the only reason this has started to be forgotten, but I'm gonna make sure. Sorry for not clearing it up sooner.

The answer is: Lu, in the city of Sorath-Nu-Sum (Underdark, page 184)

The next question is anyone else's.
Sarelle Posted - 25 Jul 2004 : 23:57:54
Okay, maybe not screamingly easy. Actually, looking at the question, it was very vague. Sorry guys.

Hint: I have just one 1e/2e book, and the answer isn't from it
Sarelle Posted - 24 Jul 2004 : 13:40:00
This will probably prove screamingly easy, but I thought I'd have a go.

What is the name of a kuo-toa revolutionary who massacred some drow merchants, and where did it happen?
George Krashos Posted - 24 Jul 2004 : 10:21:56
Hmmm ... looks like the FR trivia frenzy has died off - although I didn't think my question was THAT hard. The answer is:

Kybals' Cords (FR4 The Magister, p.44-45.

I'll leave it to another scribe to come up with another question.

-- George Krashos
SiriusBlack Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 14:29:39
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

Can someone explain me what attire means?

From the American Heritage Dictionary via Yahoo

quote:

Clothing or array; apparel

I hope that helps.

zemd Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 14:24:41
Can someone explain me what attire means?
George Krashos Posted - 22 Jul 2004 : 14:04:14
Looks like a hint is needed: think "belts".

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Jul 2004 : 15:34:37
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I've got one, if I may:

What do the feared mages Sespetar and Turgohn the Two-Fingered wear as part of their normal attire?

-- George Krashos

Under-clothes?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000