Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 From 1e to 5e (A)D&D

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Jan 2020 : 22:01:50
So my group wants to play 5e...so as a good father and DM I'm going to bite the bullet and give it a go.

We will still be playing in the Old Grey Box era for my own sanity.

First thing I've noticed though is that I have to do a lot of conversions for the major NPCs...so I thought I would come here to get any information my fellow scribes may have created.

Essentially, I'm looking for any conversions you may have all made regarding the characters of the OGB made new using the 5e rules.

Thanks for anything you have to offer, including links to other sites I may not have found, your personal conversions and so on.

Many thanks!
23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
VikingLegion Posted - 05 Feb 2020 : 13:39:55
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

lol, initially I was going to disagree but....after 3e/3.5/PF's pages for 1 NPC...yea I'm none too big a fan of them anymore. Honestly, 4E and 5E are much better in terms of codifying and simplifying the need-to-know basics than 3e. As for 1e/2e stats, it assumes you can reference stuff on your own, so when the book says 4th level Fighter the onus is on you to decide what the to-hit, damage, AC, saves, etc is for that particular guy (simple, yes; easy to reference...no).

I think the objective for the minimal statblocks was DM freedom. Leaving most of it up to the DM meant that the DM could take a canon NPC, and make that NPC into whoever the DM needed, instead of having to look for one that fit the mold.

Ed created the "simple line" statblock which featured in the Ol' Grey Box and the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover simply to save wordcount for Realmslore.

-- George Krashos

Also the surprisingly banal origin behind the term "Hin" when taking about the Halfling race. It was just to help with the printing, nothing more.
George Krashos Posted - 28 Jan 2020 : 12:19:49
quote:

quote:

lol, initially I was going to disagree but....after 3e/3.5/PF's pages for 1 NPC...yea I'm none too big a fan of them anymore. Honestly, 4E and 5E are much better in terms of codifying and simplifying the need-to-know basics than 3e. As for 1e/2e stats, it assumes you can reference stuff on your own, so when the book says 4th level Fighter the onus is on you to decide what the to-hit, damage, AC, saves, etc is for that particular guy (simple, yes; easy to reference...no).

I think the objective for the minimal statblocks was DM freedom. Leaving most of it up to the DM meant that the DM could take a canon NPC, and make that NPC into whoever the DM needed, instead of having to look for one that fit the mold.

Ed created the "simple line" statblock which featured in the Ol' Grey Box and the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover simply to save wordcount for Realmslore.

-- George Krashos
Diffan Posted - 28 Jan 2020 : 07:18:32
quote:

quote:

That's certainly true. I'd much prefer something like Sir Duran Galdir (male Chondathan human LG Knight 4/ ranger 3; Str 19, Cha 17). Sir Duran travels the Western Heartlands helping the less fortunate and the downtrodden, fighting the ruthless humanoids who ransack the countryside. He wields the powerful Sunblade and wolfang, +1 lycanthrope bane sword for when he meets worshippers of Malar in the wilderness.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Jan 2020 : 02:49:17
quote:

Diffan Posted - 27 Jan 2020 : 23:05:04
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I played 3.x for a very long time and can say with certainty it is more than passingly difficult to create NPCs...having said that, it did allow for a great diversity and player surprise because the players had no way of knowing what the "bones" of an NPC were.

My biggest issue concerning 3e NPCs (or adversaries using 3e stats) was that they were all forced into the same design umbrella, which instantly pit class vs. class. Not to mention that the wildly unbalanced nature of 3e in terms of Challenge Rating. Sorry but a 5th level Fighter is no way a CR 5 challenge against four PCs. It's laughable and silly.

One of the things I liked about 4e was that there was distinction in adversary roles. A level 5 Soldier in 4e absolutely was a challenge against five PCs due to AC, hit points and attack modifiers. Then they had special aspects that could attack multiple foes or heal an ally. You can't get that level of diversity in 5 levels with 3e AND still be a credible threat. Just too many restrictions that I'm glad they moved away from in later iterations

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden
I appreciate Diffan helping out with a solid example in Alok...especially since she is one of my favorite NPCs. I think I'll have to use her because the party looks like they will be starting in Sembia and having eyes toward the treeline.

You're welcome. Honestly I picked her out randomly as she was close to the beginning and low level enough as to make the conversion fast. Still, a +3 spear is legendary in 5e and Elven chain mail is a rare item so she sure is packing some major items for a level 5 character
Dalor Darden Posted - 27 Jan 2020 : 22:44:50
I played 3.x for a very long time and can say with certainty it is more than passingly difficult to create NPCs...having said that, it did allow for a great diversity and player surprise because the players had no way of knowing what the "bones" of an NPC were.

I appreciate Diffan helping out with a solid example in Alok...especially since she is one of my favorite NPCs. I think I'll have to use her because the party looks like they will be starting in Sembia and having eyes toward the treeline.
Diffan Posted - 27 Jan 2020 : 21:32:41
quote:
Originally posted by BrennonGoldeye

quote:

Honestly, there's not that much difference from older versions to 5e. For example, most of the stats are the same - unlike 4e and 3e where the scores were often above 20 at higher levels. And since monsters don't use "feats" you don't have to worry about those either.

Spells are different but I've found enough closeness that there's not much issues. If you're insisting on conversions, let's start small and figure out the ones the characters might likely meet. Which ones instantly spring to mind that will most commonly encounter?

Umm, you just ripped the heart out of 3.5 and said it wasn't that different. Yeah, its very different, its made for grown folk. 4E was for $ and Magic the Gathering kids, 5E is just... ugg..everything to its lowest common denominator. Anyone casting cantrips, concentration needed for ALL spells, monsters to stupid to use a feat... Please, don't deign to sully 3 and 3.5 by mentioning either younger edition in the same sentence. (This was all typed with a fun tone and a smile)

The OP expressed desire for a 5e conversion of OGB NPCs and as someone who has played - extensively - multiple editions I've found a lot more in common with old school D&D style with 5e-isms.
Diffan Posted - 27 Jan 2020 : 21:23:52
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Why is she wearing +2 chain in her stats and then apparently wears +3 chain into battle?

Typo, should be elven chain +2. Chain shirt in 5e is 13 + Dex (max +2) so 13 + 2 Dex +2 enchanted + 1 defensive style = 18

My bad
BrennonGoldeye Posted - 27 Jan 2020 : 21:21:26
quote:

Honestly, there's not that much difference from older versions to 5e. For example, most of the stats are the same - unlike 4e and 3e where the scores were often above 20 at higher levels. And since monsters don't use "feats" you don't have to worry about those either.

Spells are different but I've found enough closeness that there's not much issues. If you're insisting on conversions, let's start small and figure out the ones the characters might likely meet. Which ones instantly spring to mind that will most commonly encounter?

Umm, you just ripped the heart out of 3.5 and said it wasn't that different. Yeah, its very different, its made for grown folk. 4E was for $ and Magic the Gathering kids, 5E is just... ugg..everything to its lowest common denominator. Anyone casting cantrips, concentration needed for ALL spells, monsters to stupid to use a feat... Please, don't deign to sully 3 and 3.5 by mentioning either younger edition in the same sentence. (This was all typed with a fun tone and a smile)
BrennonGoldeye Posted - 27 Jan 2020 : 21:15:34
quote:

Umm, you just ripped the heart out of 3.5 and said it wasn't that different. Yeah, its very different, its made for grown folk. 4E was for $ and Magic the Gathering kids, 5E is just... ugg..everything to its lowest common denominator. Please, don't deign to sully 3 and 3.5 by mentioning either younger edition in the same sentence.
Arivia Posted - 27 Jan 2020 : 21:01:03
Why is she wearing +2 chain in her stats and then apparently wears +3 chain into battle?
Diffan Posted - 27 Jan 2020 : 20:13:25
quote:

quote:

Well I was looking through some of the OGB info and, really there's not much to go on in terms of stats, unless I missed something.

Ye gods, I miss those minimal statblocks.

What I found in a 3PP adventure is more simple stat-blocks that doesn't take up a lot of page counts. So lets take Alok Silverspear (DM's sourcebook, OGB, pg. 17). She's a 5th level female elven fighter. No stats are given so we have to make them up, all that's known is she wields some impressive weapons and armor. So, what I do is the usual point-buy method for characters (27 pts in 5e) and then assign them accordingly. It doesn't say if she's a moon, sun, wood, or wild elf....just elf. So I'm going to assume wood elf (cuz, why not?) and that gives her +2 Dex, +1 Wis. So with my new stat-block method and conversions being what they are, we got this...

Alok Silverspear (Chaotic Good wood elf Fighter 5) HP 39 (HD 5d10+5), AC 18 (+2 elven chain), Spd 35ft. Str 14, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 10. Perception 14 (+4). Athletics +5, Survival +4. Sv: Str +5, Con +4. +3 silver spear +8 to-hit (1d6+5 or 1d8+5 two-handed) or greatsword +5 to-hit (2d6+2). Multiattack (two spear or greatsword attacks), second wind 1/rest (regain 1d10+5 HP) action-surge 1/rest (take an additional action), improved critical, mask of the wild (can attempt to hide when lightly obscured by natural phenomena). Alok wears +2 elven chain into battle and wields a +3 silvered spear along with a two-handed sword.

ta-da!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jan 2020 : 19:10:38
quote:

Well I was looking through some of the OGB info and, really there's not much to go on in terms of stats, unless I missed something.

Ye gods, I miss those minimal statblocks.
Diffan Posted - 27 Jan 2020 : 15:59:15

For example in the Beregost blip they mention Thuderhammer Fuirium, who has 25 HP and fights as a 1st level Fighter. So for 5e, I'd give him 3d8+6 plus 1d10+2 Hit Die (25 HP) and he attacks once with a +3 to-hit (warhammer, 1d8+1 or 1d10+1 two-handed). To round him out, give him stats (Str 12, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 12); saves Str +3, Con +4.

Done.

For someone a little higher in level, say the Wizard in Beregost named Thalantyr (15th level magic-user) you can use the Archmage entry from the monster manual and maybe give him some of the conjuration benefits of the Wizard and have the spells be conjuration and summoning.

If you do have some guys you want specifically made up in 5e I'd be more than happy to stat them up for ya. This is just a quick reference and re-skin to help on the fly
Dalor Darden Posted - 27 Jan 2020 : 14:52:33
quote:

I'd suggest not converting NPCs. Unless you honestly think they're going to fight them, otherwise keep the original version for a point of reference and RP the rest.

You can check the back of the monster manual for NPC and humanoid enemies that can fit your campaign and they're fairly balanced.

I think you are right about this.

It will probably work best for me to NOT do my usual massive amount of behind the scenes work since they probably won’t even encounter most of the work I was thinking about.
Dalor Darden Posted - 27 Jan 2020 : 14:49:07
The primary reason is that the group is wanting the newer game but likes their old characters. Also, 5e is what they are reading about online and so they want to play “the game of our generation” or something close to that statement.

Talk about making a fella feel old...
Ayrik Posted - 27 Jan 2020 : 07:28:12
So what is the appeal of playing 5E instead of 1E if restricting it to emulation of 1E setting, race, class, etc?

Does 5E ruleset improve or streamline anything which bogged or broke the game in 1E ruleset?
Dalor Darden Posted - 27 Jan 2020 : 07:00:13
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I'd think more about what things exist in 5e that don't in the 1e FR, and how you're going to make them fit. To take some stuff from just the PHB, how will warlocks, dragonborn, and tieflings fit into the setting for you?

I don’t intend to even have Dragonborn and such in the game.
Arivia Posted - 26 Jan 2020 : 23:37:11
I'd think more about what things exist in 5e that don't in the 1e FR, and how you're going to make them fit. To take some stuff from just the PHB, how will warlocks, dragonborn, and tieflings fit into the setting for you?
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 26 Jan 2020 : 22:04:54
I've always found that math cures all editions. Dungeons and Dragons is all about math at its core gaming. If you suck at math, then have handy your +5 Calculator of true seeing, and work it out. Vamp it, tweek it, sheist it.

CEV
Diffan Posted - 26 Jan 2020 : 20:48:52

Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 26 Jan 2020 : 20:36:52
As a 46 year old man, I played the 1ED Advanced D&D hardcover, while I'm forever a 3.5 fanboy, I do miss the Advanced 1ED system, not to mention, I miss the old broken ThAc0 2ED system.

As complicated as 3.5 ED is with skills and skill tricks, feats and feat tricks, math and numbers, I find it more accurate in gaming math than past or present editions.

I'd love to help you. Sounds fun. I'm clueless to 4 and 5 ed.
Diffan Posted - 26 Jan 2020 : 19:03:30
I'd suggest not converting NPCs. Unless you honestly think they're going to fight them, otherwise keep the original version for a point of reference and RP the rest.

You can check the back of the monster manual for NPC and humanoid enemies that can fit your campaign and they're fairly balanced.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000