Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Grand History of the Realms - softcover

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Jul 2019 : 03:42:18
Sharing this because I've seen people on eBay paying through the nose for the original hardcover...

The DM's Guild now has a softcover version of The Grand History of the Realms for just $20. (And right now, it and the pdf together are $22. No idea how long that deal will last).

So if you weren't lucky enough to get a copy (or two!) in hardcover when it came out, now you can go softcover on it.
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fayne Posted - 31 Oct 2021 : 01:40:30
Did they ever improve the PDF file on this? Restore it to the searchable text, rather than the image scans? How is the quality of the softcover POD? Thanks.
RealmProtector Posted - 27 Apr 2020 : 01:01:10
Hey Guys, Have any of you bought the Shining South POD? Is it any good as in quality of printing and paper? Or should I just get the original on eBay?? Any help would be appreciated.
jamesewelch Posted - 15 Jan 2020 : 00:22:41
I've been hoping for some reprints of the old 2e "Complete" books.
Arivia Posted - 14 Jan 2020 : 23:08:09
What I really wish they'd do is offer reprints of the various poster maps. My 3e ones are pretty much worn to tatters, sadly, and I don't know a great way to replace them.
dagger Posted - 12 Sep 2019 : 01:36:35
I think the Print on Demand looks pretty decent.

https://imgur.com/a/f7iUosh
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Jul 2019 : 02:48:56
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert That's really quite odd. They just updated the file a few weeks ago; the prior version was text, or at least OCR'ed, so it was searchable. I wonder why they would replace a searchable version with a larger file that wasn't searchable.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I just dug up one of the older copies, so I could have the searchable one handy. I'd replaced it with the newest version of the file, not knowing it wasn't searchable.

It wouldn't be the first time.

I got The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde when it was first released on the DM's Guild. The file was so large and such poor quality that I went and downloaded a pirated version to take its place.

Yep, amateur pirates had better quality control....

Yeah, but this is going the other way: they replaced the better copy with the worse one.

I've gotten a lot of TSR/WotC pdfs, and honestly, I've had very few complaints about them.
Derulbaskul Posted - 05 Jul 2019 : 00:37:34
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert That's really quite odd. They just updated the file a few weeks ago; the prior version was text, or at least OCR'ed, so it was searchable. I wonder why they would replace a searchable version with a larger file that wasn't searchable.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I just dug up one of the older copies, so I could have the searchable one handy. I'd replaced it with the newest version of the file, not knowing it wasn't searchable.

It wouldn't be the first time.

I got The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde when it was first released on the DM's Guild. The file was so large and such poor quality that I went and downloaded a pirated version to take its place.

Yep, amateur pirates had better quality control....
George Krashos Posted - 04 Jul 2019 : 23:21:51
Just have your own.

— George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Jul 2019 : 04:05:14
quote:
Originally posted by jamesewelch

Just be aware that it looks awful.

I purchased the POD and PDF. I also requested a refund (got refund yesterday).

The PDF is image scans (not text, so not searchable). There's white space margins around the scanned pages, so the POD and PDF pages aren't even full pages. The PDF does have bookmarks/TOC.

I really hope WotC cleans up this scan, so I can buy a few.

That's really quite odd. They just updated the file a few weeks ago; the prior version was text, or at least OCR'ed, so it was searchable. I wonder why they would replace a searchable version with a larger file that wasn't searchable.

jamesewelch Posted - 03 Jul 2019 : 13:33:01
Just be aware that it looks awful.

I purchased the POD and PDF. I also requested a refund (got refund yesterday).

The PDF is image scans (not text, so not searchable). There's white space margins around the scanned pages, so the POD and PDF pages aren't even full pages. The PDF does have bookmarks/TOC.

I really hope WotC cleans up this scan, so I can buy a few.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000