Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 4e Dragon and Dungeon Magazine sources

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TomCosta Posted - 10 Dec 2019 : 22:38:11
Has anyone catalogued all of the 4E (or for that matter post print edition lore) Realmslore from Dragon and Dungeon magazine? If so, I'd be interested in that list. Thanks.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 25 Feb 2020 : 16:46:00
Master Zeromaru X,

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. I'll definitely get back into the canon stuff from 4e and move on. A bitter pill to swallow, but it seems the sensible approach based on that position you've stated.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

That being said, it was how they did the Spellplague, etc. that got me to hate WotC, and what they did to the Realms.

Well, I guess here most of us agree. The execution was bad, even if the idea has good elements. But, do not dwell in something that happened more than a decade ago and as you said it has been mostly "restored".

quote:

So, in understanding that WotC basically did a half-ass mea culpa after 4e due to the rage factor from fen, how relevant is all that material in light of some of the backwards changes they made in 5e to stop the pitchforks and torches crowd?

Best regards,

Still relevant, as much as magazine articles can be. If you ask for validity and canonicity, then yes, they are still canon and valid.

You have to take into account that while they may have brought back stuff from earlier editions, they didn't invalidate or undone anything of what happened in 4e. So, those articles are still valid from an in-universe "historical view point", and those events still happened.

Zeromaru X Posted - 25 Feb 2020 : 12:19:00
quote:

That being said, it was how they did the Spellplague, etc. that got me to hate WotC, and what they did to the Realms.

Well, I guess here most of us agree. The execution was bad, even if the idea has good elements. But, do not dwell in something that happened more than a decade ago and as you said it has been mostly "restored".

quote:

So, in understanding that WotC basically did a half-ass mea culpa after 4e due to the rage factor from fen, how relevant is all that material in light of some of the backwards changes they made in 5e to stop the pitchforks and torches crowd?

Best regards,

Still relevant, as much as magazine articles can be. If you ask for validity and canonicity, then yes, they are still canon and valid.

You have to take into account that while they may have brought back stuff from earlier editions, they didn't invalidate or undone anything of what happened in 4e. So, those articles are still valid from an in-universe "historical view point", and those events still happened.
cpthero2 Posted - 25 Feb 2020 : 06:13:05
Master Rupert,

Fair enough. It sounds like I missed the epic hate train back in the day though from the little snippets I get here and there.

I'll try to keep my loathing to an almost imperceptible, roguish like commentary that push the bounds of what one might expect from a Leiran diplomancer. ;)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Master Zeromaru X,

I should clarify: I don't care about the rules set for 4e, because I was happy with 3.5/PF, and so had absolutely no reason to change out the rules set.

That being said, it was how they did the Spellplague, etc. that got me to hate WotC, and what they did to the Realms. So, in understanding that WotC basically did a half-ass mea culpa after 4e due to the rage factor from fen, how relevant is all that material in light of some of the backwards changes they made in 5e to stop the pitchforks and torches crowd?

As Zero said, it's as relevant as you want it to be.

And we really don't need to keep up with all the edition-bashing. That got old years ago... I agreed with a lot of what people said against the 4E Realms, and said more than a little of it myself -- but it's done. Even if you don't accept it, continued bitching about it isn't going to accomplish a thing.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Feb 2020 : 01:58:17
quote:

Master Zeromaru X,

I should clarify: I don't care about the rules set for 4e, because I was happy with 3.5/PF, and so had absolutely no reason to change out the rules set.

That being said, it was how they did the Spellplague, etc. that got me to hate WotC, and what they did to the Realms. So, in understanding that WotC basically did a half-ass mea culpa after 4e due to the rage factor from fen, how relevant is all that material in light of some of the backwards changes they made in 5e to stop the pitchforks and torches crowd?

As Zero said, it's as relevant as you want it to be.

And we really don't need to keep up with all the edition-bashing. That got old years ago... I agreed with a lot of what people said against the 4E Realms, and said more than a little of it myself -- but it's done. Even if you don't accept it, continued bitching about it isn't going to accomplish a thing.
cpthero2 Posted - 24 Feb 2020 : 22:10:42
Master Zeromaru X,

Best regards,

quote:

I guess that's up to you. There are very good articles in that list. The ones about Cormyr, Chessenta, the Moonsea and Vaasa, for instance, are excellent and well regarded by many fans. And the many "Eyes of the Realms" (by Ed Greenwood) really enhanced the Realms during the 4e era. I have my favorites, and I can make a list if you want.

But I guess that if you don't like 4e, no matter my opinion you would be biased against them, so my suggestion is that you read them and make your own opinion before you dismiss them just because you dislike an edition.

As for the 5e thing... given the lack of lore for that edition, the 4e articles will be as useful as they were for the people who enjoyed 4e.

Gary Dallison Posted - 24 Feb 2020 : 22:04:11
Well I'm as anti 4e and 5e as they come, however, even I make use of the dungeon and dragon articles (particularly the backdrop articles or the forging the realms articles), they can have some good quality realmslore in them and can be tracked back to a pre spellplague origin if you want (with a little work), right now I'm adding in the House of Indulshield as a noble house of cormyr that I previously didn't know about.
Zeromaru X Posted - 24 Feb 2020 : 21:51:47
I guess that's up to you. There are very good articles in that list. The ones about Cormyr, Chessenta, the Moonsea and Vaasa, for instance, are excellent and well regarded by many fans. And the many "Eyes of the Realms" (by Ed Greenwood) really enhanced the Realms during the 4e era. I have my favorites, and I can make a list if you want.

But I guess that if you don't like 4e, no matter my opinion you would be biased against them, so my suggestion is that you read them and make your own opinion before you dismiss them just because you dislike an edition.

As for the 5e thing... given the lack of lore for that edition, the 4e articles will be as useful as they were for the people who enjoyed 4e.
cpthero2 Posted - 24 Feb 2020 : 20:29:13
Master Zeromaru X,

So, out of curiosity, knowing (at least my opinion here) how terrible 4e was for the Realms (I am indeed in that camp, haha), are those articles in the Dragon magazines and other non-novel based materials worth bothering with, or is it better to skip to 5e and forget the divorce?

Best regards,

quote:

A few years ago, KanzenAU shared a list with us. I happen to have save it, so here we are:

Dragon:
362: Countdown to the Realms, Magic in the Realms, The Wailing Years, Grand History: Moonshaes
365: Cormyr
366: Non-Thay Red Wizards of Rose Keep, Gontal, Returned Abeir, Talking about 4e Realms
367: High Elf Magic, Epic Harpers, Genasi race, Drow in the realms, Auril's Hall of the Frostmaiden
370: Servants of Tiamat, Aglarond, Impiltur, Moonshaes
372: Tarmalune, Returned Abeir
373: Ecology of the Sharn
375: Gontal, Returned Abeir
376: Tarmalune, Returned Abeir, Sarifal, Moonshaes, Karador
377: Airspur, Akanul
378: Deity Domains, Channel Divinity: Bahamut, Airspur, Akanul
379: Akanul, East Rift, Tymanther
381: Channel Divinity: Torm, Eye of Justice, Everlund
384: Channel Divinity: Mielikki
385: Spellscars, Channel Divinity: Moradin
386: Drizzt/Salvatore magic items, Channel Divinity: Corellon & Sehanine
388: Channel Divinity: Tymora
390: "Elminster & Manshoon story"
391: Shadar-kai in the Realms, Winning Races: dwarves, Moradin
394: Channel Divinity: Corellon, Shifters in the Realms
400: Nine Hells (republished)
402: Neverwinter background (Son of Alagondar), Elven background (Seeker of Illefarn)
403: Artificers of Gond, other Artificers of the Realms
404: Kara-Tur, Seven Styles of Martial Arts, Ninja, Shan-zi (Runepriests), backgrounds, Hengeyokai race
405: Moonshaes backgrounds
406: Xraunrarr Shall Triumph, beholders of Cormyr
407: Cormyr: Purple Dragons, Battle Mages & War Wizards, Cormyr Ranks and Titles, Swords of State, "A Surprising Vintage" (Tethyr)
408: "The Enchanted Painting of Manyshields Hall" (Sembia)
409: Waterdeep backgrounds (Blackstaff apprentice, Halaster clone, Masked Lord), "The Merendil Gold" (Cormyr)
410: "The Talking Door" (Waterdeep)
411: "The Storm Bird" (Waterdeep)
412: Channel Divinity: Silvanus and Chauntea, "The Thing in the Crypt" (Marsember, Cormyr)
413: Bregan D'Aerthe, Drow roles and society, "Jantharl's Surprising Journey", "The Six Horned Crowns"
414: "Lost Dragon of Waterdeep"
415: Manshoon, Channel Divinity: Zehir, "Haunted Battlement" (Calimshan)
416: "Awakener of Golems" (Amn, Athkatla)
417: Sword of Savras (Tethyr)
418: Priests of beholders (Tethyr)
419: Dead Dwarf Mine (Saradush, Tethyr)
420: "Unraveller of Secrets fey-descended woman" (Scornubel)
421: Abyss trade goods
422: "Buckethelm" (Sembia)
423: "Alluring Dungeons of Illithids", Illithids of Heartlands
424: Desert of Desolation, Dragon that never died (Earthfast mountains)
425: Skullport inn, Slime/ooze cults, "Waterdeep story"
426: "Baldur's Gate peeps"
427: "Abeir-Toril splitting hooks"
428: Westgate, "Speaking Skull" (Saerloon Sembia)
429: Many-Arrows (pre War of Everlasting Darkness), Half-orcs of Many-Arrows, "Sembia Merchant"
430: Harpers of Waterdeep, Tam Zawad

Dungeon:

159: Loudwater adventure to do with Karse (Gray Vale, Netheril)
170: Phlan adventure (Moonsea)
171: Eye of Justice (Westgate), Drizzt fight
172: Airspur 3, Scornubel trader (Elturgard)
174: "Lost Book of Magic"
175: Gentle Ghost of Silverymoon
176: "Cormyr exile noble"
177: Vaasa, "Naerhands family: powerful merchants continent wide"
178: Chessenta, Deadeyes of Downshadow (Waterdeep)
179: "Ondal's Stand"
180: Shadovar vs Bedine adventure, Rallyhorn and Roaringhorn killer (Cormyr, Waterdeep)
181: Elminster fight, Circle of Fangs 1 (Cormyr)
182: Dracohar race (Osraun mountains)
183: Gauntlgrym, Circle of Fangs 2 (Cormyr)
184: Rastigur Stornont (Waterdeep Mirt-like thief)
185: Silent Sail merchant cabal (Marsember Cormyr)
187: The Blades (Cormyr)
188: Faction and organizations info
189: Waterdeep awards
190: Waterdeep's Wild Lords
191: Khalusk (buried Netherese crypt city near Illusk), "Jalander's Dodge"
192: Daggerdale, "Masks of Living Flesh"
193: Gauntlgrym adventure, Neverwinter Selune adventure, Neverwinter pub, "Winking Eyes of Rhauron" (item linked to Abeir)
194: Gond's Crafthouse of Inspiration (Eastrift), Thormil's Oxen (Cormyr)
195: Neverwinter aboleth adventure, Kara-Tur adventure, Xiousing in Marsember (Cormyr), Spellslayer Wine
196: Moonshaes, Ghost Knight of Galardoun (Ruins between Triel and Scornubel)
198: Cormyr Nobility, Suzail
200: Skullport (Waterdeep)
201: Undermountain traps (Waterdeep), Trobriand in Undermountain, Shadowdale Pub
204: Downshadow adventure (Waterdeep)
206: Xanathar Adventure (Waterdeep), About the Xanathar, About the Malaugrym
208: Fey'ri, Daemonfey, House Dlardrageth
210: Dalelands Harpers vs Zhentarim adventure (1369 DR)
214: Easting Elemental Eye Adventure
216: Dalelands Drow Adventure (1484 DR)
217: Baldur's Gate gnome thieves adventure
218: Dalelands Drow Adventure (1484 DR)
220: Icewind Dale Adventure (1485 DR?)
221: Elturgard High Moor Orcs black dragon adventure

TomCosta Posted - 11 Dec 2019 : 17:46:46
Yeah, the article list is by subject and not title. Very useful. Thanks again.
Zeromaru X Posted - 11 Dec 2019 : 14:02:14
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Whatever happened to Ed's Eye of the Realms articles?

They were published until the last issues of the 4e run. I guess Kanzen didn't named them as such, but many articles on that list are from that column. Was one of the best sources of lore of 4e.

Sadly, they died with the edition...
George Krashos Posted - 11 Dec 2019 : 11:48:53
Like all of those many columns over the years, they simply ... stopped. Usually with a couple of unpublished articles lost in the mix,

-- George Krashos
Brimstone Posted - 11 Dec 2019 : 03:59:03
Whatever happened to Ed's Eye of the Realms articles?
TomCosta Posted - 11 Dec 2019 : 02:01:46
You are a rock star. Gratzi. Clearly you stand tall among us. :-)
Zeromaru X Posted - 10 Dec 2019 : 23:28:59
A few years ago, KanzenAU shared a list with us. I happen to have save it, so here we are:

Dragon:
362: Countdown to the Realms, Magic in the Realms, The Wailing Years, Grand History: Moonshaes
365: Cormyr
366: Non-Thay Red Wizards of Rose Keep, Gontal, Returned Abeir, Talking about 4e Realms
367: High Elf Magic, Epic Harpers, Genasi race, Drow in the realms, Auril's Hall of the Frostmaiden
370: Servants of Tiamat, Aglarond, Impiltur, Moonshaes
372: Tarmalune, Returned Abeir
373: Ecology of the Sharn
375: Gontal, Returned Abeir
376: Tarmalune, Returned Abeir, Sarifal, Moonshaes, Karador
377: Airspur, Akanul
378: Deity Domains, Channel Divinity: Bahamut, Airspur, Akanul
379: Akanul, East Rift, Tymanther
381: Channel Divinity: Torm, Eye of Justice, Everlund
384: Channel Divinity: Mielikki
385: Spellscars, Channel Divinity: Moradin
386: Drizzt/Salvatore magic items, Channel Divinity: Corellon & Sehanine
388: Channel Divinity: Tymora
390: "Elminster & Manshoon story"
391: Shadar-kai in the Realms, Winning Races: dwarves, Moradin
394: Channel Divinity: Corellon, Shifters in the Realms
400: Nine Hells (republished)
402: Neverwinter background (Son of Alagondar), Elven background (Seeker of Illefarn)
403: Artificers of Gond, other Artificers of the Realms
404: Kara-Tur, Seven Styles of Martial Arts, Ninja, Shan-zi (Runepriests), backgrounds, Hengeyokai race
405: Moonshaes backgrounds
406: Xraunrarr Shall Triumph, beholders of Cormyr
407: Cormyr: Purple Dragons, Battle Mages & War Wizards, Cormyr Ranks and Titles, Swords of State, "A Surprising Vintage" (Tethyr)
408: "The Enchanted Painting of Manyshields Hall" (Sembia)
409: Waterdeep backgrounds (Blackstaff apprentice, Halaster clone, Masked Lord), "The Merendil Gold" (Cormyr)
410: "The Talking Door" (Waterdeep)
411: "The Storm Bird" (Waterdeep)
412: Channel Divinity: Silvanus and Chauntea, "The Thing in the Crypt" (Marsember, Cormyr)
413: Bregan D'Aerthe, Drow roles and society, "Jantharl's Surprising Journey", "The Six Horned Crowns"
414: "Lost Dragon of Waterdeep"
415: Manshoon, Channel Divinity: Zehir, "Haunted Battlement" (Calimshan)
416: "Awakener of Golems" (Amn, Athkatla)
417: Sword of Savras (Tethyr)
418: Priests of beholders (Tethyr)
419: Dead Dwarf Mine (Saradush, Tethyr)
420: "Unraveller of Secrets fey-descended woman" (Scornubel)
421: Abyss trade goods
422: "Buckethelm" (Sembia)
423: "Alluring Dungeons of Illithids", Illithids of Heartlands
424: Desert of Desolation, Dragon that never died (Earthfast mountains)
425: Skullport inn, Slime/ooze cults, "Waterdeep story"
426: "Baldur's Gate peeps"
427: "Abeir-Toril splitting hooks"
428: Westgate, "Speaking Skull" (Saerloon Sembia)
429: Many-Arrows (pre War of Everlasting Darkness), Half-orcs of Many-Arrows, "Sembia Merchant"
430: Harpers of Waterdeep, Tam Zawad

Dungeon:

159: Loudwater adventure to do with Karse (Gray Vale, Netheril)
170: Phlan adventure (Moonsea)
171: Eye of Justice (Westgate), Drizzt fight
172: Airspur 3, Scornubel trader (Elturgard)
174: "Lost Book of Magic"
175: Gentle Ghost of Silverymoon
176: "Cormyr exile noble"
177: Vaasa, "Naerhands family: powerful merchants continent wide"
178: Chessenta, Deadeyes of Downshadow (Waterdeep)
179: "Ondal's Stand"
180: Shadovar vs Bedine adventure, Rallyhorn and Roaringhorn killer (Cormyr, Waterdeep)
181: Elminster fight, Circle of Fangs 1 (Cormyr)
182: Dracohar race (Osraun mountains)
183: Gauntlgrym, Circle of Fangs 2 (Cormyr)
184: Rastigur Stornont (Waterdeep Mirt-like thief)
185: Silent Sail merchant cabal (Marsember Cormyr)
187: The Blades (Cormyr)
188: Faction and organizations info
189: Waterdeep awards
190: Waterdeep's Wild Lords
191: Khalusk (buried Netherese crypt city near Illusk), "Jalander's Dodge"
192: Daggerdale, "Masks of Living Flesh"
193: Gauntlgrym adventure, Neverwinter Selune adventure, Neverwinter pub, "Winking Eyes of Rhauron" (item linked to Abeir)
194: Gond's Crafthouse of Inspiration (Eastrift), Thormil's Oxen (Cormyr)
195: Neverwinter aboleth adventure, Kara-Tur adventure, Xiousing in Marsember (Cormyr), Spellslayer Wine
196: Moonshaes, Ghost Knight of Galardoun (Ruins between Triel and Scornubel)
198: Cormyr Nobility, Suzail
200: Skullport (Waterdeep)
201: Undermountain traps (Waterdeep), Trobriand in Undermountain, Shadowdale Pub
204: Downshadow adventure (Waterdeep)
206: Xanathar Adventure (Waterdeep), About the Xanathar, About the Malaugrym
208: Fey'ri, Daemonfey, House Dlardrageth
210: Dalelands Harpers vs Zhentarim adventure (1369 DR)
214: Easting Elemental Eye Adventure
216: Dalelands Drow Adventure (1484 DR)
217: Baldur's Gate gnome thieves adventure
218: Dalelands Drow Adventure (1484 DR)
220: Icewind Dale Adventure (1485 DR?)
221: Elturgard High Moor Orcs black dragon adventure

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000