Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 A Question Regarding Aquatic Elves in Novels

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BlindRobertBrown Posted - 07 Oct 2019 : 07:09:42
Hello there!

This is my first time posting in this forum.

Before I ask my question, I want to say up front that I'm not entirely sure if this is exactly the correct area of this forum to ask my question. I'm very new to this place, having just made my account this night, and I'm honestly having a bit of problem navigating this site with my screen reader. As my username hints at, I'm mostly blind. Maybe I just need to roam the place to get a better feel for where everything is at?

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at with my point is that I apologize up front if this isn't the correct place to ask this question but I'm struggling hard to find any other place on the forum where this question might be best received at. I hope the moderators will move this topic to it's proper place if this one turns out not to be where it should be posted at.

Anyway, my question is regarding and aspect of Aquatic Elf physiology in the novels. Does anyone know if Aquatic Elves in general can also breathe air? Can they breathe air as well full stop? Or is it a limited ability? Or do they require some kind of magical or supernatural mean to aid them with breathing out of water?

I'm trying and obviously failing at finding an answer to this question altogether and thus I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

I know at least one Aquatic Elf is featured in at least one of the books that is part of the Daughter of the Drow series, and I also heard that Aquatic Elves are mentioned, if not at least featured, in both the series involving the Wereshark menace along the Sword Coast, as well as the book Elfshadow. I own electronic copies of the Daughter of the Drow books but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet, as I'm slowly reading through a large pile of books I bought over the past several months.

Anyway, thank you for reading my post on this forum and possibly helping me out with a question!

Have a good one!

~Rob
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BlindRobertBrown Posted - 08 Oct 2019 : 01:43:10
Ah, thank you for both of your replies! That helps!
Wrigley Posted - 07 Oct 2019 : 14:36:17
Best source I have found is Races of Faerun p.29. It states that aquatic elves can only breath water but they are able to survive out of water for handful of hours before they start to suffocate. If you consider half-aquatic-elves they usually do not inherit the ability to breath water but can swim very well.
So aquatic elves should be able to communicate with surface races easily but cannot stay for long.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Oct 2019 : 11:50:47
Given their interactions with people on the surface, my assumption is that sea elves can breathe air, but they have to stay in water to keep their skin moist. It's quite possible that they get more oxygen from their gills, but that could be more like being at a high altitude for people not used to it.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000