Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Malar: The Beastlord Compendium

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jamesewelch Posted - 10 Sep 2019 : 14:24:51
Coming soon(TM) Tuesday, September 17, 2019. Hardcover POD and PDF.

I received the hardcover proof in the mail yesterday, so after DMG gives me a scheduled release date, then I'll post the release date.

(Also, look for a special Candlekeep forum discount code when it's released as a thanks for answering a bunch of Malar related questions. The Hardcover has a base price set by printer, so I can't mark it down below that limit. PDF doesn't have a base/bottom price.)

Some Photographs:

Some better pics (exported from the Word Processor)

If anyone has any questions about POD let me know. To be honest, I'm starting to believe the POD process was way more hassle then it's going to be worth. I initially submitted a request to be reviewed for POD on June 30th, so it's taken me 2.5 months to get to this point (95% of that time was waiting for email responses from DMG). However, it did take me a two tries to get the PDF to meet the printer requirements.

The Forgotten Realms god of the hunt is feral, wild, and vicious: Malar is the dark side of nature. The civilized people of Faerűn might pray to Malar out of fear or before hunting. But they also forbid worshiping him and loathe his followers, considering them savage murderers.

Assembled from the vast collection of knowledge contained within Candlekeep's Great Library—along with all-new information—Malar: The Beastlord Compendium details everything there is to know about Malar, his followers, their faith, and their practices, rites, and sacrifices.

Malar: The Beastlord Compendium is a resource for Dungeon Masters and players alike, featuring new character options to inspire and flavor your game.

~118 total pages with ~50 pages of lore and ~60 pages of game mechanics/info

• Introduction - Who is Malar? What are his goals?

• Chapter 1: Followers of Malar - Who follows Malar and why?

• Chapter 2: Cult of Malar - What are the doctrine and religious rites?

• Chapter 3: Areas of Activity - Where have Malarites been seen? Where are they now?

• Chapter 4: Friends and Foes - Who are the infamous leaders of the cults? Who opposes them?

• Chapter 5: Events - What are their High Rites and annual celebrations?

• Chapter 6: Roleplaying a Malarite - Suggestions for NPC and PC Malarites

Appendices include:

• Appendix A: Character Options

• Disciple of Malar and Lycan Hunter backgrounds

• Bestial cleric domain and druid Circle of the Blood Moon

• 12 feats including Howl of the Blood Moon, Hunter of Malar, Lycan Scholar

• 15 spells including Beast Claw, Law of the Wild, Spectral Stag

• 4 supernatural gifts of 3 minor blessings, Unholy Water of Malar

• 3 blood sacrifices with mechanics on empowering ritual spells with a blood sacrifice

• Appendix B: Equipment and Magic Items

• 7 pieces of equipment including Claws of Malar, Lycanthrope Gas Bombs

• 35 magic items including Book of Fangs and Talons, Claw of Malar, Sword of Cymrych Hugh

• Appendix C: Creatures

• 3 Malar champions including 2 Huntmasters, Gnong the hill giant wereape

• 5 Malar clergy with ranks from Acolyte (CR2) to Archpriest (CR12)

• 6 new lycanthropes with player templates for wereape, werebadger, werefox, werelion, werepanther, werewolverine

• 1 werewolf-vampire hybrid

• 2 Avatars of Malar

• Templates for an enhanced lycanthrope and Chosen of Malar

• 5 more monsters including Beast of Malar, Ityak-Ortheel, and Kazgaroth

• Appendix D: Other Rules

• 3 diseases including Malar's Fury, Moon Frenzy

• 3 drugs/poisons including Blacktooth Fungus

• Appendix E: Plot Hooks

• A collection of ideas to integrate Malar into existing campaigns

• Appendix F: Maps (PDF Only)

• Four digital map images including Bloody Rock, Wyvernstones of Hullack

23   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jamesewelch Posted - 01 Oct 2019 : 23:53:26
Thanks
Seethyr Posted - 01 Oct 2019 : 23:42:48
Book just got a shout out on the DMsGuild newsletter. Congratulations!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Sep 2019 : 02:31:50
Just got the pdf, myself.
jamesewelch Posted - 18 Sep 2019 : 00:14:46
Thanks everybody!

I hope it meets everyone's expectations and that everyone enjoy and (hopefully) learn something new.
George Krashos Posted - 17 Sep 2019 : 23:04:14
Also purchased a hard copy. Great stuff!

-- George Krashos
Seethyr Posted - 17 Sep 2019 : 20:50:55
Got mine. Really looking forward to it.
Cards77 Posted - 17 Sep 2019 : 20:40:08
purchased hard copy thank you
jamesewelch Posted - 17 Sep 2019 : 17:50:12
Here's a discount code for %50 off ($6.50 USD) for the PDF. There's 10 uses on it

https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?discount=90de8bf36b&affiliate_id=938361

~~~

Here's a discount code for (almost as low as I can go) for the hardcover. There's 5 uses on it

https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?discount=90e2f3f541&affiliate_id=938361

~~~~
Reviews:

https://ttlevelup.com/malar-god-of-the-hunt/

~~~~

If anyone has any questions about it, please ask. I'd rather give you answers that might result in not buying it, than having you spend money on something that didn't match your expectations. The Full Preview is 30 pages long and is the lore parts of the book.

Also, if you only want the PDF so you can get the battle maps, just send me a PM and I'll email you the image files.

Thanks,
Jim

jamesewelch Posted - 15 Sep 2019 : 18:11:53
Well, a lot of the D&D Adventurers League writers come from DMsGuild writers. I also think a couple Guild Adepts have worked on official (new) material. To my knowledge, I don't think anything has added to official source books that started on DMsGuild. However, WotC is watching, reading, and even highlighting some DMsGuild products on their marketing/podcast channel.

I think its only a matter of time before something from DMsGuild gets put into an official adventure either as a off-hand mention or a direct reference. If I worked at WotC and wanted to write a book, I'd definitely include research of some DMsGuild books. My friend's book about using ancestry traits to balance races was just talked about on the D&D News podcast. I think something like that as a UA rule/option might make it into semi-official books.

I think the DMsGuild lore will have a harder time getting incorporated into WotC products than interesting rules ideas. However, I think some of the DMsGuild lore might/could make it into novels, if the novel writers are doing research for ideas.

Also, Keith Baker (Eberron) is publishing both his own material on DMsGuild (to be released soon) and official WotC books. So in a situation like that, KB might discover something in DMsGuild and then put it into his next book.

Cards77 Posted - 15 Sep 2019 : 17:29:12
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

quote:

Now I'm looking forward even more. I have to say that "semi-canon," what I define as "logically deduced lore based off of existing canonical lore which does not contradict any existing lore" is what DMsGuild really should feature MORE of. It's what I try to do with my own books, and in truth, its one of the most difficult (but rewarding) things to do.

I just wanted to come in here and say yes to this 100% and thank you to creators like this who really give the proper treatment to the lore like this.

Love it and always happy to PAY for great content like this.

Wouldn’t it be fantastic if WotC came around once in a while and simply “canonized” really good fan work? Maybe they could keep a running historical document cataloguing all that has gotten this honor. Think of what a win-win that would be? They wouldn’t have to produce products that they don’t feel would sell enough yet they’d still advance the setting beyond this snail pace that is currently running. It would also encourage DMSGuild writers to produce better quality material like this book on Malar instead of the 100,000th fighter or wizard archetype you see on there.

Yes! This is what I thought DMG was supposed to be all along. Now it's just a graveyard for endless "supplements" for a system that is catering to the lowest denominator.

I always thought it was supposed to the place for great products based on the flag ship setting.

To me products like this ARE the SPIRIT of what the DMG should be doing.

I don't want to high jack the thread anymore but THIS product and this author is how you DMG!

People starved for good FR lore will flock to this!
Seethyr Posted - 15 Sep 2019 : 16:37:45
Not to mention sales would skyrocket for both the author and WotC would get the 50% cut.
Seethyr Posted - 15 Sep 2019 : 16:36:30
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

quote:

Now I'm looking forward even more. I have to say that "semi-canon," what I define as "logically deduced lore based off of existing canonical lore which does not contradict any existing lore" is what DMsGuild really should feature MORE of. It's what I try to do with my own books, and in truth, its one of the most difficult (but rewarding) things to do.

I just wanted to come in here and say yes to this 100% and thank you to creators like this who really give the proper treatment to the lore like this.

Wouldn’t it be fantastic if WotC came around once in a while and simply “canonized” really good fan work? Maybe they could keep a running historical document cataloguing all that has gotten this honor. Think of what a win-win that would be? They wouldn’t have to produce products that they don’t feel would sell enough yet they’d still advance the setting beyond this snail pace that is currently running. It would also encourage DMSGuild writers to produce better quality material like this book on Malar instead of the 100,000th fighter or wizard archetype you see on there.
Cards77 Posted - 15 Sep 2019 : 00:32:26
quote:

jamesewelch Posted - 13 Sep 2019 : 03:11:59
That's a better way of describing it. I'd say the majority of the canon is "semi-canon" - real places/people/things/events but a lot of the information are deductions rather than copy/paste.

I had hoped that I would have came out with more lore pages than game mechanics pages, but I think I'm closer to 45 lore, 60 mechanics (with others being misc pages like TOC, index, etc.). However, I also wanted to keep everything that I made up nearly indistinguishable from canon and semi-canon. I believed that if I had made up too much, then some of that would feel made up and I wanted people to not be able to tell the difference. However, those here on candlekeep are way more knowledgeable than the average DMG buyer, so you might spot some things I made up, but hopefully you can't tell that I made everything up.
Seethyr Posted - 13 Sep 2019 : 03:00:53
jamesewelch Posted - 13 Sep 2019 : 02:09:25
Hey,

There's 3 prices:
* POD
* PDF
* POD + PDF

I wanted to include the maps with POD, but that's not technically possible on their web site. If you only want the map images, then I can email those to you. I'm a physical book person as well.

The lore is probably 75% canon (but with all of the blanks filled in and all of the various pieces brought together) and about 25% completely made up. However, of that 75% a lot is 'enhanced' and 'deduced' even if the person/place/thing is canon. I also guarantee there's some existing canon that you didn't know that might surprise you.

Also, there's several canon events and places that never say that Malarites were involved, so I stuck them into a few stories and places. A lot of things are canon, but the Malarite involvement is made up.

~~~~~
spoilers below, too bad there's no 'spoiler' tag
~~~~~
A quick break down (might not be completely accurate, but I quickly wrote this up as I flipped through the pages:

Chapter 1: Followers of Malar

* Appearance and Philosophy - 10-20% canon (hard to tell). The rest is deduced from canon because stuff like this is mostly implied or you need to look at everything, get the big picture, then you can fill in some blanks. But nothing here goes against or sounds like its not canon. Does that make sense? I mean there's nothing that says Malarites carry hunting knives, but they're hunters and they like killing stuff, so that's still a deduction since no source book says they might carry a hunting knife.

* Organization - 95% canon, with one deduction (that most lycanthropes within Malarite Hunts are the same phenotype/lycanthrope type), because one of the books mentions an exception in Moonshae Isles where it's mixed, so working backwards means most aren't mixed.

* Leadership section is about 40% canon. I added in some lore about how (in some Hunts) a challenger might issue a 'Challenge' against their leader and fight to the death for leadership of the group. Still that's not in canon, but (to me) it kinda makes sense that *some* Hunts might do that. I also added in the Brynwood (all-female) Hunt.

* Membership - 95% canon

* Punishments - 0% canon, however, it's based on Uthgardt tribes

* Greetings - 0% canon. There's no books/novels or anything that says how Malarites say hello, shake hands, or show dominance over lessers, etc.

* Relationships - 95% canon

* Taboos & Heresies - ?% canon. I made up the "Heresy of Lycanthropy as a Disease" taboo (it basically says that a few Malarites believe Lycanthropy is a disease and based on the Gospel of Saernclaws, they are required to purge the disease, so that's a big deal since there's a lot of lycan Malarite worshipers). All of the other "taboos" are never mentioned as a taboo, but they are canon topics relating to Malarites.

* Diet and Nutrition - 5% canon. There's nothing that specifically says they are meat-eaterscarnivores, but that's another easy to deduce thing...

* Income - 90% canon

* Expressions - 10% canon, there's a few sayings/proverbs from novels, but most of these are made up

Chapter 2 - Cult of Malar

* Doctrine & Dogma - 100% canon

* Scriptures & Prophesies - 80% canon. Some prophesies are vague, so I added in stuff like "some scholars believe XYZ means ABC." I added in a new 5e (1484 DR) prophesy.

* Afterlife - 0% canon, However, its deduced from what everybody else in Faerun believes, but nothing ever specifically says Malarites believe the same thing

* Chants - 95% canon

* Ceremonial Objects - 85% canon. I added references to weapons that look like Claws of Malar, so those who don't know what these look like don't confuse them with (Uthgardt) Tiger's Claws, Grayclaws, or bagh nakh. I also gave Malarites the credit for this idea/style and said the Uthgardt Red Tiger tribe copied it (that's made up).

* Blood Sacrifices - 95% canon

* Sacred Objects - 85% canon. I created the Spear of the Master Hunter and I also inferred the fate of a few canon items, so they might reappear and not become 'lost to history.'

Chapter 3 - Areas of Activity

* There's too many sub sections here to go through, here's the big things I made up:

** Umar Hills is canon, but never specifically stated they were Malarites
** Chult story is canon, but I made up current info
** Cormanthor story is canon, but I made up the ending
** Forest of Amtar is made up
** Icewind Dale is confusing because the tribe chief here was hanged in a 4e adventure but a 5e adventure says he's alive, so I had to change the 4e outcome to make him alive
** Forest of Lethyr is half canon, half 'some scholars believe' ...
** Gray Forest story is canon, but I inserted Malarites into the story
** Phandalin story is canon, but Malarites involvement is made up
** Neverwinter Wood is made up
** Waterdeep is mostly canon (believe it or not), but the magic item is made up
** Deep Hunting Grounds of Wyllowwood (my favorite Malarites) is mostly canon, with the biggest exception being that I deduced that Dhusarra yr Fadila el Abhuk killed Arbentia to take over the Hunt because that aligns with the time frame but it's never actually stated (unfortunately the Malarites' fate is 5e canon)
** Brynwood is made up (but the legend is canon)
** I also added a few 'shrines' to Malar in places that either had one but was destroyed or places where it made sense

Chapter 4: Friends and Foes

* Every friend or foe is canon except Shandunn Longfang (relates to the earlier prophecy, Black Wolf tribe, and Spear of the Master Hunter that I also made up). However, there's some deductions made by 'sages and scholars' that add to some stories and I inferred some 'feelings' about some of these relationships.

(I didn't need to make up new Foes, Malar has way too many canon ones but I added some more info there and 'filled in some blanks').

Chapter 5: Events

* Most are canon events with deductions and blanks filled in.

** Hills of the Kings - drug use is made up
** Blood Moon is deduced, but based on canon
** Bloodmoon Circle Initiation is referenced in books (with no details, other than 'deadly'), I made up the actual ceremony
** The name "First Moon Hunt" is made up, but the activity is canon (in some Hunts), it just didn't have a name.

Chapter 6: Roleplaying a Malarite

* These are my tips to RP a Malarite, so they are 100% made up

Appendices:

A - The 5e 'backgrounds', cleric domain, and druid circle are made up, but inspired by 2e books and I used the same/similar spells as in 2e, but with 5e upgrades or replacements

B - I made up a bunch of (all) feats, (upgraded a few, but mostly made up) magic items, (upgraded a few, but mostly made up) spells, minor blessings and unholy water are made up (but the Undermountain reference is canon, it just didn't have mechanics), blood sacrifices are mostly canon (but I made up the mechanics and the summoning a beast of Malar blood sacrifice), I also made up game mechanics that allow blood sacrifices to enhance ritual spells, equipment is mostly canon, magic items are too many to list but about 25% canon objects with 5e upgrades and rest are made up (many canon objects had no mechanics, it was just a reference, so I made up nearly all of the 5e mechanics for the canon items)

C - The creatures are all made up. I "converted and enhanced" Malar's avatars, Beast of Malar, Ityak-Ortheel (Elf Eater), Kazgaroth, Thrunn, and Blacktooth Lycanthropy

D - I "converted and enhanced" Malar's Fury and Moon Frenzy diseases to 5e (and added more text/descriptions). I made up the other diseases and drugs.

In general, most anything with a date after 1480 DR can be assumed I made that up - the only 5e canon material are the fate of the Undermountain Malarites, the Icewind Dale confusion I talked about above, and fate of Gray Wolf Tribe leader.

Seethyr Posted - 12 Sep 2019 : 21:43:46
Oh also, I know you do a ton of research, but I’m curious how much of this is canon vs fan material? It won’t affect anything, I just like reading new material.
Seethyr Posted - 12 Sep 2019 : 21:42:40
Probably a dumb question but I got to ask. Does the POD version also come with a pdf version or do you have to get them separately? I only ask because I’m planning on getting the POD (I’m tactile in loving my books) but I also want the maps.
John Daker Posted - 11 Sep 2019 : 03:28:02
This looks amazing! Can't wait to read it.
jamesewelch Posted - 11 Sep 2019 : 00:23:54
Thanks George.

I'm working on Gwaeron Windstrom now, but there's nearly nothing about him anywhere. I can't find any reference in novels (other than Drizzt mentions) and other than Faith books, he's barely in core or supplemental books. Gwaeron's doc is going to be much smaller (I'm around 25 pages now, in raw draft version).
George Krashos Posted - 11 Sep 2019 : 00:19:04
I said it on social media, and I'll say it again: if all the deities got this sort of treatment in 5E, the Realms would be a better place. Very good work here.

-- George Krashos
jamesewelch Posted - 10 Sep 2019 : 23:58:35
Release date: Tuesday, September 17, 2019
In the morning, before the noon ET/9am PT newsletter.
Seethyr Posted - 10 Sep 2019 : 20:24:23
I love books that are this specific and in depth. I think its exactly this type of item (that has some lore for a change, instead of just warlock/wizard/bard/sorcerer/barbarian option) is going to be exactly what SHOULD be up on DmsGuild more often. Looking forward to this!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000