Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Goblin Accents

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
unseenmage Posted - 29 Aug 2019 : 04:14:10
Goblin heroic NPCs

What accents do they get from what major goblinoid settled regions?

Primarily I'm wondering about goblins from the areas surrounding Thay.

I have a spitfire goblin NPC planned and itd be nice to properly know what she sounds like.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 07 Sep 2019 : 10:46:58
By the spoon of Hup the Podling Paladin, you must watch the new dark crystal series on Netflix before embarking on making the voice of a goblin. I do believe podling sounds like a good thing to use.
Ayrik Posted - 07 Sep 2019 : 08:26:18
Goblins speak their own language. I've always assumed that all goblinoid languages are related so Goblin would have some commonalities with Orcish. And I imagine Orcish sounds very much like German or Klingon, albeit more on the harsh and gutteral side, they're all excellent languages for shouting at people.

Gygax basically invented goblins as adversaries for halflings back in pre-D&D wargaming era. They basically became a short and cunning version of orcs in the early monster manuals.

Early-2E goblins were basically the most ancient and "main" species of goblinoids from which all other goblinoids evolved - hence the naming of the whole category - but we all know that orcs are the most numerous, dangerous, and (in)famous species of the whole lot so this idea seems to have been abandoned. If you go with this idea then Goblin language might be a formalized, archaic, and stilted form of Orcish - something like Vulgar Latin vs Modern Italian.

Some late-2E and early-3E lore suggested that goblins are actually descended from orcs(?) who were stranded in the Feywild (or some other Fey-infested planar domain) for countless generations - altered over millennia of outbreeding or exposure to planar nature. They're apparently distantly related to the more nasty and malign Fey breeds, species like leprechauns and quicklings. If you go with this idea then Goblin might even sound like some sort of bastardized singsong Celtic brogue.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Aug 2019 : 05:25:37
quote:
Originally posted by unseenmage

Asked the same question over on GitP and the best answer so far is that a wandering goblin hero would likely speak very carefully and be embarrased when it gets too excited and slips back into primitive goblin colloquialisms and speech.

Give him a British accent, just to play with people's minds.
unseenmage Posted - 30 Aug 2019 : 20:33:11
Asked the same question over on GitP and the best answer so far is that a wandering goblin hero would likely speak very carefully and be embarrased when it gets too excited and slips back into primitive goblin colloquialisms and speech.
Storyteller Hero Posted - 29 Aug 2019 : 17:38:58
I like to imagine Goblins having the same accent as the Fallen from Diablo.

"Rakanishu!"

sleyvas Posted - 29 Aug 2019 : 15:09:12
spitfire goblin? What's that from/about? Honestly, I don't know that we have any reference to any accents anywhere for goblinkind. I'd pretty much go with a more high pitched voice simply do to their size.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000