Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Starting a new campaign - tell me about yours

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
newbiedm Posted - 28 Jul 2019 : 14:49:33
My home crew is feeling nostalgic and wants to give a go at what may be our last shot with all our old 2e content from days long gone. We’re getting older, free time is harder and harder to find, and well, we want to recapture our youth a bit.

So... I am going to run a 2e game for us, starting with Under Illefarn, but not sure what the “big idea” should be.

I want to read about your campaigns... tell me what you’ve done, where they’ve taken you, and if you can provide the products you've used, even better!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ericlboyd Posted - 06 Aug 2019 : 13:08:21
Hopefully you saw this already, but google Under Illefarn Anew for more content for that adventure. It’s a complete campaign.

Eric

quote:
Originally posted by newbiedm

My home crew is feeling nostalgic and wants to give a go at what may be our last shot with all our old 2e content from days long gone. We’re getting older, free time is harder and harder to find, and well, we want to recapture our youth a bit.

So... I am going to run a 2e game for us, starting with Under Illefarn, but not sure what the “big idea” should be.

I want to read about your campaigns... tell me what you’ve done, where they’ve taken you, and if you can provide the products you've used, even better!

Barastir Posted - 06 Aug 2019 : 12:30:31
I have two different campaigns running nowadays:

One is set in the 2e Realms. They have just entered 1369 DR, and play in Daggerford, Waterdeep and the North, with some incursions to the interior (Silverymoon, High Forest and more). The party has an errant Knight in Silver, a female bladesinger from Evereska, a female crusader of Corellon from Evermeet, a barbarian priestess of Tempus from the Moonshaes, and a lot of NPCs (the archer husband of the bladesinger, the Lathander paladin lover of the barbarian priestess, a halfling rogue with connection with the Harpers, an Uthgardt barbarian who acts as a guide/hunter, among others). Besides, we have two characters who retired (a gnome priest of Garl Glittergold and another rogue halfling), one missing (a witch from Sembia) and one deceased (a cavalier from Daggerford). They are enemies of the Cult of the Dragon, and are about to face their first real dragon in an ambush set from this organization, a young adult red.

The other one is set on 2e Dragonlance, a few years after the War of the Lance. They live in Southern Ergoth, in a duchy I made up, in fact a keep and a small village isolated from the rest of the world. The party is comprised of a Cavalier of Ergoth (planned to become a Knight of Solamnia), a female fighter who is the daughter of a mercenary (an ally of the local court), a druidess (in a place where the old powers are still seen with distrust), a ranger (her protector and cousin) and a Qualinesti elven archer from Qualimori. They will have their first encounter with draconians, and in the next spring they must travel to Eastwatch to knight the cavalier in the Solamnic orders, but they don't know he was enchanted by a dryad in their first adventure.

EDIT: forgot to mention that my Realms campaign played through the original Under Illefarn module in its early days.
Diffan Posted - 06 Aug 2019 : 05:28:33
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

@Diffan: I don't know how you find the time to run that many games but cheers to you. I barely have time for the one I run and that's with me improving a great deal of it.

It's with the same group of people, we just determine what campaign to run that particular week. For instance last week we ran the Shadow War campaign but this week I have a player who refuses to play 4e so we switch to the 5e Ravnica campaign
The Arcanamach Posted - 05 Aug 2019 : 16:42:09
@Diffan: I don't know how you find the time to run that many games but cheers to you. I barely have time for the one I run and that's with me improving a great deal of it.

My current game is loosely based on the Night Below campaign but is mostly character driven based on their backstories with the NB being seeded into it. Eventually, they will go to Shaboath where the climax will tie into the Avatar Crisis. PCs just hit level 7 in my 2e/5e mashup rules and it's set in Sessrendale.

PCs consist of:
Warforged Gunslinger (about to go warlock)
Dwarven Battlemaster
Elven Priestess/Paladin of Sehanine Moonbow
Half-Orc Evoker
Half-Elven Champion/Swashbuckler
Half-Elven Ranger/Swashbuckler

They have a few plot hooks to investigate and they just learned that bounty hunters are after them (for murderhoboing while in Cormyr, no less).
Diffan Posted - 01 Aug 2019 : 01:49:29
I usually have multiple campaigns going on, depending on player composition and who's attending. Some people can only make it some weeks, other have Edition preference, and some are new to the game.

Currently:

Shadow War Campaign (4e): Set in the 1480 DR. age, the heroes started off in a small town of Netheril-controlled Sembia. Their mission was to simply deliver a message to a shoppe keeper and receive the rest of their payment. When the shoppe keeper was threatened by Netherese agents, they defended him and killed their attackers. Unfortunately that marked them as outlaws so they fled, with the note in hand.

With the note, they made their way to the Dalelands and had the scroll read by a Moon elf in Myth Drannor. It spoke of a growing evil in the West, a plan to subjugate the area of Spellgard and give the Netherese a foothold into those lands. The PCs decided to confront the evil and travelled there via Teleportation.

After establishing themselves as a hero in the town of Loudwater (by confronting evils there) they proceeded to Spellgard and fought the evil agent hells-bent on imprisoning Lady Saharel (a ghost and seer of the keep). They defeated him, but only for a short time as they witnessed a large invasion force of Netherese and Zhentarim, apparently they weren't the only ones to get the message about Spellgard.

Currently they're gathering forces to counter the Shade/Zhent occupation of Spellgard to drive them back and deliver a blow to their war effort.

Sources: Escape from Sembia adventure, Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, Scepter Tower of Spellgard adventure, Shrouded Vision Living Forgotten Realms adventure, Dusk Til Dawn Living Forgotten Realms adventure. The PCs are all currently 7th level and about the undertake the last adventure and hopefully achieve 11th level by the end.

Us in the Realms (3e to 4e): A campaign that started in 2006, our group was magically transported to the Forgotten Realms via a magical book bought in a pawn shop. There, they discovered a number of changes - some changed race! - and found the had reserves of inner power they never knew they had (classes). After defending the town of Beregost and several other adventures, they decided to settle down, giving up on a way home.

During the year of Blue Fire, 1385 DR. the Blackstaff stumbled across a magical portal mirror that had the capabilities of finally sending them home. A few of the character took the opportunity while others stayed, content with their new lives. They jumped into the portal, however an unfortunate event occurred, Mystra was slain casuing the Spellplague. The Mirror malfunctioned and for a century remained inert. This put those characters in stasis - neither in Faerûn or on Earth.

In 1479 DR. those who went through the portal were spilled out when some students in Blackstaff tower accidentally reactivated the mirror. Now, over a century later they have to piece together their lives after yet another failed attempt to reach home. By now, their accolades of the previous century are legend, especially in the towns of Beregost and few hamlets that dot the Sword Coast. A few have taken it upon themselves to right the wrongs of Elturel and the current issues they're facing while others are seeking to discover why Beregost has now fallen silent.

Sources: Various Dragon magazine adventures, FRCG The PCs are currently all over the place in terms of level. They stopped off in 3.5 at 8th level then progressed further to 17th level in 4E. Some other PCs are currently 7th but I tend to do some milestone leveling and get them up into the mid-paragon level soon (hopefully 15th or so).

Cormyr/Shadowdale/Anauroch Super-Adventure (v3.5): We started this adventure a long time ago, before the Spellplague in 1375 DR. and when we were hoping would stop the destruction of Mystra. The group played through the events of Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave adventure, stopping the spread of Shadow Magic from the Vast Swamp in Cormyr by an evil black dragon called Dyspare.

From there, they traveled to an occupied Shadowdale to help rid them of the Zhentarim forces who controlled the area. This adventure, Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land the PCs made quite a few allies with newly reformed Myth Drannor and it's Coronal. They freed the Dalelands from Zhent control, defeating the Lady Darkhope and slaying her in the process. Further, one character - Sir Ivan Brightflame, was able to procure enough Pegasus from the elves of Myth Drannor to start his own growing unit within the Cormyrean Military called the Pegasus Knights of Cormyr.

Of course, this was not the end of their journey. They found, with the help of the elves, that their famous library was ransacked, and a powerful object was taken - a Nether Scroll in the form of a tree. This would be used by the Shades to grant them immense magical power - the PCs couldn't let that happen. So with their forces, they followed the Shades to their home turf of the Anauroch to do battle in areas where magic cannot always be counted on.

Sources: Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave Adventure, Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land adventure, and Anauroch: the Empire of Shade adventure. The PCs are currently 16th level but are having a difficult time getting through Anauroch without magical aid.

Ravnica: City of Guilds (5e): This adventure bring together multiple characters of varying guilds within the plane of Ravnica, using their abilities to thwart a growing threat from some renegade Gruul Clan warlords. Why they're rampaging (besides the usual reasons) is anyone's guess but if the PCs don't find out soon, the whole 10th Precinct could suffer the consequences. This will also play into an adventure i'm converting from 4th Edition (Keep on the Shadowfell) to 5e but changing the big-bad to Phyrexia and it's attempt to enter the plane for dominance.

Sources: Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica supplement. PCs are currently 4th level and there's two from the Boros Legion guild (hoplite Fighter, Celestial Warlock), one from the Orzhov Syndicate Guild (Cleric of Order), and one from Selesnya Conclave Guild (Elven Ranger).

Well that's it currently. I will do one-offs for fun or for testing. I'm honestly not hooked with 5th Edition yet. I like aspects but I feel that it's very limiting in terms of player options on a round-by-round basis. Yet there's still lots of potential that I'm still invested for other supplements. I'm thinking of doing a new adventure for the Ghosts of Saltmarsh Book.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000