Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Heraldry (and symbols) of the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jamesewelch Posted - 04 Aug 2019 : 20:57:42
Hey all,

Between doing some writing, I've been doing some artworks. My goal is to publish the heraldry, sigils, logos, marks, etc. as stock art on DM's Guild for commercial uses (if anyone here wants the stock art for personal use, I'll give a complimentary copy once I'm done with each set).

I have all of the Waterdeep nobles done and a bunch of miscellaneous items (runes, Harper's marks, sigils, organizations) done. I still have a bunch of the miscellaneous items to finish, but I have a few done.

In order to comply with DMG, I can't copy the images directly, so there's some variations (I'm trying to get away with as few variations as possible). I sent a couple to DMG and they said the first few were borderline but was okay. I'll probably send the final batch for DMG approval before I upload them. Also, I'm pretty sure the runes and marks will be not allowed. If not, then I'll just post them here for personal uses (or give whoever wants them the zip file).

Here's what I have so far (the screenshot is low-res, the PDF will be 300dpi and all of the artworks are 300dpi, CMYK, 2550x3300 pixels, 8.5x11, POD/print ready).

Screenshot of PDF page spread
https://i.imgur.com/hqyqdUP.png

If I should include any other information, let me know. If it looks good, let me know.

Runes, Sigils, Marks, Organizations
https://i.imgur.com/2kI31fw.png

I'm also going back through the images doing clean up or redoing some parts that I don't like/doesn't look right to me, so it'll be a few more weeks until I actually have a complete set (images of Waterdeep nobles) complete.
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jamesewelch Posted - 04 Sep 2019 : 16:33:08
Wow. Thanks everyone. Looks like all 5 coupons have been used. If there's a bunch more interest here, just let me know and I can run another discount just for Candlekeep scholars.
jamesewelch Posted - 03 Sep 2019 : 22:53:55
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

I bought the whole bundle.

Thanks!

ElfBane Posted - 03 Sep 2019 : 21:46:19
I bought the whole bundle.
jamesewelch Posted - 03 Sep 2019 : 14:01:42
Hey all,

The book is finally live. Ended up with 164 pages.

You can grab it for $1 (USD) using this link: https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?discount=96465a3c2e

Only 5 copies available for $1, expires on Saturday midnight. I'm only posting the $1 deal here on Candlekeep, because everyone here is awesome :)

Thanks
jamesewelch Posted - 22 Aug 2019 : 18:18:30
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

Thoughts on the heraldry for Luruar?

I haven't found any references to specific symbol, badge, or other heraldic device of the Luruar confederation.

Personally, I'd imagine it somewhat focused on Lurue, so maybe a mix of Silverymoon's crescent moon and a unicorn (something like Lurue's holy symbol at https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Lurue?file=Lurue_symbol.jpg ).

If I were to design it, I'd do something like:

a) Royal blue field, thin silver crescent moon curving to right, head of unicorn within the opening of the moon, encircled by nine stars (one for each city)

or

b) Royal blue field, thin silver crescent moon curving to right encircled by nine stars (one for each city)

or

c) Royal blue field, thin silver crescent moon curving to right enclosing nine stars (one for each city)

or

d) Royal blue field, circle of nine stars
Wenin Posted - 22 Aug 2019 : 16:27:20
Thoughts on the heraldry for Luruar?
jamesewelch Posted - 22 Aug 2019 : 03:56:29
I've found almost 300 (official) blazons or general descriptions so far. I have graphics for most of them (maybe 200 of 290ish total). I think I've exhausted my resources, so now I just need to finish up with the remaining artworks. It's over 150 pages (with 2 graphics per page, a few 1 per page such as end of chapter breaks, and all drow have x2 - one for just elven symbol and other with the spider insignia+symbol).
ericlboyd Posted - 19 Aug 2019 : 21:45:50
quote:
Originally posted by jamesewelch

Yeah, I've found a few city-states and nations (Sembia, Cormyr, Impiltur, most of Dales, most of Sword Coast thanks to BG video game maps), etc. I've updated the PDF, there's > 200 now and I have another ~10 Drow houses to finish.

I need to find Thay. I know the symbol(s) for the Red Wizards, but now in 5e (IIRC) they are no longer in charge of Thay and no longer just in Thay (Red Wizards is an evil organization that's spread out now). Is there a Thay symbol other than the Red Wizards's symbol?

Send me a PM if you'd like a few more to work on.
sleyvas Posted - 19 Aug 2019 : 17:42:28
On Thay, that is actually a good question, because we have two symbols that "represent the red wizards". One is the odd symbol in the 3e FR campaign setting which is 8 orbs and some lightning. But earlier things like FR6 mentions things like

By now, pirates have learned to avoid any ship flying the red-and-goldflame-on-black banner of a Red Wizard unless their spies have indicated that the banner is a ruse.

The Red Wizards and their minions use several badges; that most often seen outside Thay is a leaping red flame (outline in gold) on a black or deep purple
field.

An old, bald, war-scarred necromancer who openly wears robes marked on the breast and back with a red flame badge, he travels the trade routes with six grim men-at-arms, guarding those caravans the Red Wizards want kept safe. Alzegund also spies

Also, bear in mind that the red wizards ARE the government of Thay (as opposed to other groups who are not the governing body of where they exist), at least prior to the civil war.

So, I submit that the symbol in the 3e campaign setting is that of Thay, and these other symbols of flames are the symbols of "red wizards". Now, has Szass Tam changed that? That's a good question, because the symbols during prior rulers might not be the same now that the Zulkirs all report up to Tam effectively.

jamesewelch Posted - 19 Aug 2019 : 15:45:12
Yeah, I've found a few city-states and nations (Sembia, Cormyr, Impiltur, most of Dales, most of Sword Coast thanks to BG video game maps), etc. I've updated the PDF, there's > 200 now and I have another ~10 Drow houses to finish.

I need to find Thay. I know the symbol(s) for the Red Wizards, but now in 5e (IIRC) they are no longer in charge of Thay and no longer just in Thay (Red Wizards is an evil organization that's spread out now). Is there a Thay symbol other than the Red Wizards's symbol?
sleyvas Posted - 19 Aug 2019 : 15:38:31
quote:

Thanks. Updated that. I'm assuming "flaming scarlet" is a color and the book doesn't mean "scarlet flames" :)

To be honest, I didn't realize how many house sigils, noble families, coat of arms, etc. was out there. There's way more than I thought.

Yeah, I agree. It would be worth some research just to find the various ones for all the various countries, because I feel fairly certain that at least half of them are "written, but undrawn" somewhere... whether it be in a resource or in an ask ed response. Note I literally mean just the countries above (not all the various city states), but I wouldn't be surprised to find somewhere the heraldic symbols for Chessenta, Unther, Mulhorand, Halruaa, Tethyr, Amn, Calimshan, Dambrath, Damara, Luiren, Aglarond, etc... (I know the ones for Thay, Cormyr, Impiltur, and I think Sembia as countries are definitely out there)
jamesewelch Posted - 17 Aug 2019 : 18:46:02
Does anyone know which book as an official blazondescription for Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter, Waterdeep, etc? I know what the arms look like (they are used in a lot of books), but I can't find a specific description blazon for the colors or shapes.
jamesewelch Posted - 17 Aug 2019 : 00:16:47
Thanks. Updated that. I'm assuming "flaming scarlet" is a color and the book doesn't mean "scarlet flames" :)

To be honest, I didn't realize how many house sigils, noble families, coat of arms, etc. was out there. There's way more than I thought.
sleyvas Posted - 16 Aug 2019 : 20:50:16
I do like that version of the starburst. Just realized though, left a small easily added piece out that was also in the thread previously. This is what was in FR6 Dreams of the red wizards

FR6 describes the arms of Impiltur as a "crossed sword and wand on a dun banner, bordered in scarlet"

FR9 calls it flaming scarlet, so it just needs to be on a dun background with a border of "flaming scarlet".
jamesewelch Posted - 16 Aug 2019 : 17:16:25
My attempt at Impiltur

https://i.imgur.com/mogPxpQ.png

I need to add some highlights to the sword (only blade has highlight/shadow now).
jamesewelch Posted - 16 Aug 2019 : 02:31:07
Even some fonts that come with Windows don't have commercial use licenses, so you always need to check the source of the font.

Finished Ravens Bluff nobles, now 1/3 done with Menzoberranzan Houses. Not sure the Drow House symbols count as heraldry, but its close enough (I think) that it makes sense to include them there.
sleyvas Posted - 14 Aug 2019 : 14:44:28
quote:

Thanks.

I have another set of 'unofficial' arms set that I've createdworking on. I plan to just release those as only stock art without the book/words.

Using the language fonts is tough due to copyright issues, so I try to avoid using anything that's not cc0/public domain fonts. The same with artworks, I used (mostly heavily modified) a bunch of cc0/public domain art in the arms (I drew/create a bunch there too).

I'm also working on the runes, sigils, etc. as well, but those are lower priority than nobles/arms. I didn't realize there were so many. In the beginning, I just thought about doing Waterdeep, but I'm finding more everywhere I look.

If its a font created from FR material, I wouldn't think it would be an issue if its used to type into a piece of artwork and not included as text that you can then change. That being said, I get what you mean about possibilities of people construing that as artwork, but I'd never really considered it. Still, most of the FR fonts are ones that people have done as free to use shares. Honestly, that's an interesting thought.
jamesewelch Posted - 13 Aug 2019 : 22:22:49
Thanks.

I have another set of 'unofficial' arms set that I've createdworking on. I plan to just release those as only stock art without the book/words.

Using the language fonts is tough due to copyright issues, so I try to avoid using anything that's not cc0/public domain fonts. The same with artworks, I used (mostly heavily modified) a bunch of cc0/public domain art in the arms (I drew/create a bunch there too).

I'm also working on the runes, sigils, etc. as well, but those are lower priority than nobles/arms. I didn't realize there were so many. In the beginning, I just thought about doing Waterdeep, but I'm finding more everywhere I look.
sleyvas Posted - 13 Aug 2019 : 20:34:51
BTW, you probably have done so, but if you haven't, you may want to look into downloading some of the forgotten realms fonts. Personally one of my favorite things to do with heraldry is to add a version with a hidden message in it in Espruar/Thorass/Dethek/Draconic (also known as Iokharic)/elemental (Barazhad)/Shou-Chiang/Semphari/Tuigan (these last 3 are fonts I've made, but all in the hordelands or Kara-Tur... I use Tuigan as Roushoum alphabet for Imaskari.. they came from the hordelands boxed set and the kara-tur trail map). Some of them can be found on candlekeep's site.

I say this because it can be fun to create the "official" version of heraldry and then add a more "personal"/"focused" version that has modifications in addition. For instance, maybe a Cormyrian one exists specific to the war wizards, and on it is some extra symbology and some text of a saying they all hold (think of it like the Game of Thrones family sayings... "Winter is Coming"/"Hear me Roar" or "A Lannister pays his debts"/"Ours is the Fury"/"We do not sow"/"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"/"Family, Duty, Honor"/"We stand together"/"Righteous in Wrath"/"As High as Honor"/"Our Blades are sharp" , etc... (more found here). Maybe there's a religious sect that's popular in a certain country, and so its followers in service to the crown may use the country symbols but add the words of their god. The heralds of Imphras II in Impiltur may have their countries symbol, but maybe something else added to the symbol. Same for the royal crest. I only mention this because if you've already gone to the effort to make the symbol, putting on an additional "flair" for something that you really enjoy can be fun.

For more house words examples
https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/House_words

Oh, also one other thing that may make your stuff stand out, and if you do this, make sure to note it in the product description. Let's face it, MANY of us paint mini's. You can buy decal paper that you can print on with an inkjet or laser printer that is waterslide decals (they we used to get with toy model cars as a kid). It might be worth taking the time to make a single page that has all these symbols on it but sized for miniatures (take it from me, print it on regular white paper first to check your sizing and cut them out, compare to a mini). A buyer may love that this is already done for them if its brought up. Even better would be if you show a mini where you've slid a decal onto its shield or cloak in a picture. You COULD even market this as a second product.

sleyvas Posted - 13 Aug 2019 : 19:27:27
Wow, thank you for the link. I will review it more thoroughly later. The only issues I saw were with the table of contents and the font size making it look wonky, but so what. The actual work itself is so much better than my own. Having seen this work, might I recommend another to do? The heraldic symbol of Impiltur. I might add that you may actually make George happy as well if you make it. I tried my hand at it long ago (say 5 years back). After a little back and forth in this thread below, we found something from Ed detailing what the symbol of Impiltur should look like

http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11571&whichpage=5

"George, Ed fired back a very swift reply, and here it is:
Sword crosses over wand.
Wand: gold shaft, with white light (star-rayed) at business end; handle is VERY dark blue [almost black], with gold pommel, and gem-adorned at both "guard" end and pommel end.
Sword: blade is gray (so, in heraldic blazons, silver) with a VERY dark blue [almost black] grip, gold quillons and pommel.

Hope that helps.
love,
THO "

BTW, here's the link to the product I made a few years ago and put up for free on DM's Guild. Its had a lot of downloads over time, but then again, its free... so that's to be expected. I would pay money for yours.
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/177650/Art--Forgotten-Realms-Heraldry

My royal Impiltur symbol seems to come closest to Ed's description, but it still looks.... well, Like I drew it... I'd love to see your take.

George Krashos Posted - 13 Aug 2019 : 06:00:34
quote:

Hey all,

I found a bunch of Border Kingdom and others. I'm working my way through Ravens Bluff (about 1/2 done with them). If I came across one as part of (non-heraldry) an artwork, then I added it under "unknowns."

If anyone wants a PDF of what I have so far for review, just let me know and I can share the link via private messages. Some artwork looks a lot better than others, so I'll do a few more passes over the ones that I don't like to work on making those better.

I'm happy to take a look. E-mail me at krashos@optusnet.com.au

-- George Krashos
jamesewelch Posted - 12 Aug 2019 : 14:21:50
Hey all,

I found a bunch of Border Kingdom and others. I'm working my way through Ravens Bluff (about 1/2 done with them). If I came across one as part of (non-heraldry) an artwork, then I added it under "unknowns."

If anyone wants a PDF of what I have so far for review, just let me know and I can share the link via private messages. Some artwork looks a lot better than others, so I'll do a few more passes over the ones that I don't like to work on making those better.
jamesewelch Posted - 05 Aug 2019 : 17:59:57
Those are on my To Do list. I have a couple done (I think).
sleyvas Posted - 05 Aug 2019 : 17:47:07
quote:

Hey all,

Between doing some writing, I've been doing some artworks. My goal is to publish the heraldry, sigils, logos, marks, etc. as stock art on DM's Guild for commercial uses (if anyone here wants the stock art for personal use, I'll give a complimentary copy once I'm done with each set).

I'd also like to submit a PDF with the artwork to the Candlekeep archives, if the sages deem it worthy. I have all of the Waterdeep nobles done and a bunch of miscellaneous items (runes, Harper's marks, sigils, organizations) done. I still have a bunch of the miscellaneous items to finish, but I have a few done.

In order to comply with DMG, I can't copy the images directly, so there's some variations (I'm trying to get away with as few variations as possible). I sent a couple to DMG and they said the first few were borderline but was okay. I'll probably send the final batch for DMG approval before I upload them. Also, I'm pretty sure the runes and marks will be not allowed. If not, then I'll just post them here for personal uses (or give whoever wants them the zip file).

I'm not going to submit the PDF book/compilations to DMG, because the text is directly from sources--only the artwork is original content--so the PDF will just be for here and personal uses.

Here's what I'd like to submit to Candlekeep archives (the screenshot is low-res, the PDF will be 300dpi and all of the artworks are 300dpi, CMYK, 2550x3300 pixels, 8.5x11, POD/print ready).

Screenshot of PDF page spread
https://i.imgur.com/hqyqdUP.png

If I should include any other information, let me know. If it looks good, let me know. If it seems worthy of Candlekeep, let me know.

Runes, Sigils, Marks, Organizations
https://i.imgur.com/2kI31fw.png

I'm also going back through the images doing clean up or redoing some parts that I don't like/doesn't look right to me, so it'll be a few more weeks until I actually have a complete set (images of Waterdeep nobles) complete.

Wow, a lot better than my attempts to do some of them, but then I don't claim to even remotely be an artist.

One thing I'd HIGHLY recommend, get a copy of the old cloak and dagger book from 2nd edition. Look at the little images in relation to various different groups that are there. Those would be wonderful to do, even if just as black and white like they currently are (even better if they're black and white vector drawings that someone can then put in their own colorations).
jamesewelch Posted - 05 Aug 2019 : 14:43:59
Yes.

New as in 3/3.5ed new or new as in 5e new? Either way, yes.

If there's a bunch or sketches and you'd rather email it to me, just let me know.

thanks,
ericlboyd Posted - 05 Aug 2019 : 03:48:41
I have bunch of new ones ... any interest?

--Eric

quote:

Thanks. I probably have close to 90 (heraldry, sigils, marks, runes, etc.) done and another 30+ (that I know about) that I need to complete. Once I get farther along, I'll share what I have and if anyone has a book/photo/screenshot of something I don't have, then I can add that into it.

My goals are:
1) Heraldry set (people)
1b) Heraldry set (places)

2) Organizations set (costers, thieves guilds, merc companies, etc.)

3) Sigils and personal heraldry (although, I might throw the personal heraldry into the first set, but I feel it fits in better with Sigils but it doesn't look like it fits there)

4) Runes and way-markers set

5) Harpers' Marks set

6) Misc set (Calendar of Harptos and whatever else random stuff that I make along the way that doesn't fit anywhere else)

I'm basically prioritizing things that I need for my books first (a few ranger-based organizations, misc stuff like calendar, etc.) If anyone needs/wants something specific, just let me know and I'll try to fit it into my process.

jamesewelch Posted - 05 Aug 2019 : 03:15:49
Thanks. I probably have close to 90 (heraldry, sigils, marks, runes, etc.) done and another 30+ (that I know about) that I need to complete. Once I get farther along, I'll share what I have and if anyone has a book/photo/screenshot of something I don't have, then I can add that into it.

My goals are:
1) Heraldry set (people)
1b) Heraldry set (places)

2) Organizations set (costers, thieves guilds, merc companies, etc.)

3) Sigils and personal heraldry (although, I might throw the personal heraldry into the first set, but I feel it fits in better with Sigils but it doesn't look like it fits there)

4) Runes and way-markers set

5) Harpers' Marks set

6) Misc set (Calendar of Harptos and whatever else random stuff that I make along the way that doesn't fit anywhere else)

I'm basically prioritizing things that I need for my books first (a few ranger-based organizations, misc stuff like calendar, etc.) If anyone needs/wants something specific, just let me know and I'll try to fit it into my process.
George Krashos Posted - 05 Aug 2019 : 02:14:04
These are better than good, they are brilliant. Well done.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000