Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Auraumycos/Unicorn Run/star mounts/creator races

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 31 Jul 2019 : 14:30:40
So, we've posited around here that many sources of powerful magic are the result of impacts by "star metals" onto the face of Toril that may have happened long ago. One such discussion revolved around Halruaa and its mountains and Lake Halruaa. Another thought revolved around the star mounts in the high forest (which are inhabited by aarakocra, btw... possibly an earth island of Coliar was cast adrift and smashed into Toril but some of the aarakocra eggs survived?). I then noted that Araumycos (the great fungus) exists beneath this area, but in the underdark. That made me wonder, does the Unicorn Run and Araumycos share a same source for water and its magical nature?

Hmm, and in the above, perhaps "smash into Toril" is too harsh a word? Perhaps a better explanation might be "landed onto Toril"... with this "earth island" being from Coliar and transported similar to the way that Netherese Mythallars moved their sky cities.

For that matter, we have that Coliar is inhabited by "lizard men", "aarakocra", and unusual dragons in 2e lore. The "lizard men" and dragons are both interested in specialized breeding by "sending their eggs closer to the sun". Perhaps there are similarities/linkages between these "lizard men" and the Sarrukh. Perhaps the lizard men long ago had some ability to pilot their own earth islands from Coliar as well, and perhaps they landed on Toril, and this is the source of the original Sarrukh after the world began to thaw.

Hmm, and as long as I'm positing.. perhaps the batrachi are interlopers who established themselves over a period of migration from a variety of other planets (the water worlds of Karpri and Chandos, or the weird illithid held world of Glyth with its strange gelatin replacing its water).

As a final musing, I'm drawn to the "undead dragons" of Coliar… a being who becomes an "air dragon" or being entirely of "spirit". Once they reach old age, they essentially become something very similar to a "Telthor" of Rashemen…. however, they also can only survive through the deep caring, affection, and adoration of the living inhabitants of Coliar… which is their sustenance... which I read as "they can only become this because they are worshipped". Might these "air dragons" essentially be something akin to "minor primordials" or the equivalent of the 3e dragons taking the dragon ascendant and becoming a "quasi-deity". Might Io/Asgorath have been a powerful "air dragon", and he was entrapped by Ubtao the deceiver, before being released by the batrachi to fight Annam's brood.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 31 Aug 2019 : 18:04:31
Okay, I REALLY need some other sages to read through this concept. I'm veering away from the star mounts/unicorn run/aurymcos piece.... but I'm going back to that idea that the Aearee arrived FROM Coliar on an "earth island"/"earth mote". It will also have some links to the idea of the "air dragons" advancing to a level that resembles (or is) godhood and/or their progenitors ON Coliar MAY have been primordials.

I'm going to lay out some high point ideas. This is not canon, but I think the ideas work, and I'll try to throw in the canon quotes that I find without slowing myself down so much htat I can't get this out.

Abeir-Toril is a vast water world with nothing more than an ocean and a single continent (merrobouros). Coliar is a "relatively" solid world ruled by dragons and with "Aearee" servants (as well as sauroid peoples ?).

Abeir-Toril and Coliar are in a relatively near orbit to one another around the sun in their early history.

The dragons of Coliar begin experimenting with their servants, and they create a new race.... dragonborn. The other "dragonlords" praise the dragon responsible for this travesty (that being a dragon named Asgoroth). Asgoroth also begins experiments upon himself, killing his fellow dragon lords and "absorbing" their spirits, gaining additional heads. The people of Coliar are shocked at the abomination that is Asgoroth, especially as his experiment starts to go awry and he begins developing multiple personalities. They believe their pre-eminent dragon lord has gone insane. Many begin to revere the gem dragon, Sardior, as a being of true balance. Many others revere Jazirian, a mirage dragon who creates his own variation of dragonborn and serpent folk.

Sardior becomes involved with the djinn of the elemental plane of air's court of ice and steel (secrets of the lamp pg 21).

Sea life springs up on Toril that will be the precursors of the batrachi civilization

Life continues to grow on Coliar, but water becomes an issue. The dragon lords (Asgorath, Sardior, the Night Serpent, Jazirian, others?) get together and decide that the solution is to get water from the water world that periodically passes near them. Enacting a ritual led by a dragon lord calling itself "the night serpent" (or maybe he/she gets that title AFTER this), they attempt to pull water from the world of Abeir-Toril. Instead, they cause the two worlds to collide. A massive tidal wave covers much of merrobouros. Coliar breaks up into multiple fragments. Only through the efforts of the dragon lords is the world able to survive (they use powerful magics of air to establish an orbital pattern for Coliar. Toril is sent spinning further out in the crystal sphere from the sun. Its sky is filled with dust. An ice age descends over the world. Portions of Coliar are transferred from Coliar to Toril, but the actions of the dragonlords help to protect their people by surrounding these "earth islands" with air. Asgorath is in one of the transferred pieces, but he must enter temporal stasis or something similar.

The Sarrukh rise (were they on Coliar?). The sarrukh uncover some dragonlord lore and begin studying magics delving into "body manipulation". Eventually the Sarrukh find a way to travel to Coliar (giant turtles known as Zaratan with something akin to helms attached used as living island ships?). These travels are exceptionally slow (they take a century?), but they have captured a powerful creature of air (djiini lord?) to give them air, create an atmosphere around the flying turtle, allow them to grow crops, etc....). They start an assault on the Aearee of Coliar. They lose. The Aearee of Coliar study the "helm" on the Zaratan for centuries. They figure out how to create something similar and attach it to their earth islands. They leave Coliar and descend to Abeir-Toril. One of their vessels is a giant glassteel vessel of a size equivalent to a small moon, with a dragonlord named Zotha in it.

The Batrachi civilization becomes involved with the arriving Aearee. They figure out that there are some entrapped/sleeping beings. The release Asgorath. Asgorath flies up to the giant "vessel" to attack his old enemy Zotha. He uses his breath to change the dragon eggs found on the ship.

Gotta go, you can see where I'm kind of going with this. Will be back later tonight.

sleyvas Posted - 12 Aug 2019 : 14:04:36
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Same for me, really. Fun ideas but not my thoughts. There is really nothing concrete either way.

As for the air dragons, I never thought of them as undead or gods... just ancient beings. Also, I don't think of them as dying if not served, just that because they are the ancients of the dragons they are served and honored. Its like the next stage of dragon evolution... like jedi spirit dragons :P. I think it is important there to note that they still count the years - whereas years for undead stop mattering.

The only reason I brought up the idea that they may be on the path to becoming gods are these statements (just showing them to show where I got the mindset that maybe this could be interpreted another way). These statements imply that without the "deep caring and affection" of the inhabitants of Coliar that these air dragons will die out (sound like "worship me or I'm dying"?).

From the entry on Air Dragons in Realmspace
Since the rarity of the Air Dragon far exceeds that of other dragons on Coliar, , they are often looked after and cared for. This deep caring and affection is what keep them alive. This symbiotic feeding is why an Air Dragon cannot be evil. The emotional emanations they feed on come only from affection, adoration, or love.

So, that's why I related their going into something revolving around using "worship" energy of a sort. In essence, I think one could develop a "template" of some sort (or prestige class) to give to them that's similar to the one dragons use when they're "on the path" to becoming deities.

Now, this could easily be interpreted in other ways, but the simplest appears to be that somehow they're transcending a physical body and turning into something more metaphysical as a result of emotional output of people on Coliar.
The Masked Mage Posted - 11 Aug 2019 : 04:55:28
Same for me, really. Fun ideas but not my thoughts. There is really nothing concrete either way.

As for the air dragons, I never thought of them as undead or gods... just ancient beings. Also, I don't think of them as dying if not served, just that because they are the ancients of the dragons they are served and honored. Its like the next stage of dragon evolution... like jedi spirit dragons :P. I think it is important there to note that they still count the years - whereas years for undead stop mattering.
sleyvas Posted - 31 Jul 2019 : 21:48:57
Thanks man. It is of course a chicken or egg scenario, because the aarakocra and lizard men of Coliar could also have been migrants from Toril's similar cultures. There is obvious hinting to the Star Mounts being a source of some kind of powerful magic source, since the unicorn run comes from there. Its kind of interesting that Karsus was RIGHT THERE when he tried to become a god as well (since the dire wood is relatively nearby). It could just as well be a Tear of Selune that dropped (particularly with Lurue being inclined to the area), possibly even the mythical portion of Selune and Shar mixed that formed Mystryl.

Also, even if we don't link the arrival of the aearee to the star mounts, we could have a similar situation of arrival from Coliar via "earth island" transport and landing in Anchorome and lands westward of said. They may have been drawn to the star mounts by the magic of the area. Its worth some thought.
ericlboyd Posted - 31 Jul 2019 : 21:36:19
Not my take on it, but very cool ideas.

--Eric

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000