Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 What books would an insane lich keep?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Cards77 Posted - 12 Jul 2019 : 21:23:33
We are returning to the school of wizardry from the OGB. We didn't fight the lich the first time.

Now we are going to take all his books and items for lore reasons (my elf PC is a loremaster).

What books would he have?

I'm coming up blank.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Aug 2019 : 17:54:17
There were several FR spells that were nerfed from their original versions, sometimes within a single edition.
sleyvas Posted - 09 Aug 2019 : 15:52:18
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Page 75:

quote:
Some liches consume larvae (see Monster Manual) on a regular basis rather than employing Nulathoe's Ninemen to maintain bodily vitality; some sages have advanced the hypothesis that a demi-lich's sentience originates with such creatures.

Ok thank you. Strange considering the description of the spell

This spell halted the decay and rot of corpses for burial preservation or for a possible candidate of raise dead or resurrection spells.[1][2] Any corpse treated with this spell could not become undead nor be affected by animate dead.[1] This spell did not heal wounds, stop the loss of blood, or reverse any damage to the corpse, but it did keep joints strong and supple and muscles from contracting rigor mortis.[1][2] This spell had no effect on the undead.[1]

Yeah, later on in the original "Dreams of the Red Wizards" they introduced this spell by Szass Tam for a similar purpose. This was back when "no one knew that Szass Tam was a lich", which is how I preferred him... but then I chalk up his change in personality to the curse from those damn artifacts that Larloch so "helpfully" foisted upon him.

Preservation (Alteration/Necromancy)
Level: 3 Components: V, S, M
Range: Touch Casting Time: 1 turn
Duration: 1 day per level of caster
Saving Throw: None
Area of Effect: One medium sized creature
Explanation/Description: This spell preserves meat and other foods as if it had just been killed. It does not work on cooked food. It can be used on dead people to keep them intact until they can be raised (the time preserved does not count toward the time elapsed before raising) or spoken to. It can also be used on a zombie or lich or similar undead to keep the body from rotting.

Also, the original Nulathoe's Ninemen didn't have those disclaimers (see from the original 1e campaign setting)

Nulathoe#146;s Ninemen
Level: 5
Range: Touch
Duration: Permanent
Area of Effect: One corpse
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 5 segments
Saving Throw: None
Explanation/Description: This spell serves to protect dead creatures of all sorts against normal decay, magically strengthening the joints of corpses or corpse limbs to keep them supple and usable. Its most prevalent practical useis to preserve dead comrades for placing
atop a bier in a sepulcher, or in hopes that they may be raised. The
magic-user requires fresh blood from a creature of the same race/species as the spell subject, and the dust or powder resulting from the crushing of a moonstone of not less than 7 gp value. As the
words of the spell are spoken, the most vital areas of the body (chest cavity, head and neck, joints of extremities) are sprinkled with a small amount of blood, and the whole body is then sprinkled
with the moonstone dust. The closing gesture of the spell is the touching of the corpse, whereupon the spell will take immediate effect. Note that this spell does not heal wounds or stanch
bleeding.
Cards77 Posted - 09 Aug 2019 : 15:00:09
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Page 75:

quote:
Some liches consume larvae (see Monster Manual) on a regular basis rather than employing Nulathoe's Ninemen to maintain bodily vitality; some sages have advanced the hypothesis that a demi-lich's sentience originates with such creatures.

Ok thank you. Strange considering the description of the spell

This spell halted the decay and rot of corpses for burial preservation or for a possible candidate of raise dead or resurrection spells.[1][2] Any corpse treated with this spell could not become undead nor be affected by animate dead.[1] This spell did not heal wounds, stop the loss of blood, or reverse any damage to the corpse, but it did keep joints strong and supple and muscles from contracting rigor mortis.[1][2] This spell had no effect on the undead.[1]
sleyvas Posted - 09 Aug 2019 : 03:17:30
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Okay, my memory may be fuzzy but I recall the idea of liches ingesting larvae was to maintain their existence as liches. As time goes by they eventually become demiliches but the ingesting of the larvae staves this off long enough for them to acquire the lore they need/want before transitioning to that state. I think this info comes from Lords of Darkness (1e reference book). I'll need to look it up.

Yep, liches used to be a lot less powerful in earlier editions and the power creep has slowly come in in different ways. They used to have to use larvae to stave off degradation (though there was no chart to track this or anything). They used to have to have a body nearby their phylactery or they couldn't reform (though later fixes had it that they had to keep their phylacteries close, but I don't even think that's the case anymore). Of course, nowadays, staving off death by aging is as simple as casting the clone spell in 5e, so the draw of lichdom isn't what it used to be.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Aug 2019 : 04:45:51
quote:

Okay, my memory may be fuzzy but I recall the idea of liches ingesting larvae was to maintain their existence as liches. As time goes by they eventually become demiliches but the ingesting of the larvae staves this off long enough for them to acquire the lore they need/want before transitioning to that state. I think this info comes from Lords of Darkness (1e reference book). I'll need to look it up.

Page 75:

quote:
Cards77 Posted - 08 Aug 2019 : 02:45:00
quote:

Hmm, ok I didn't know this. I'm interested in hearing more.

In the module it only says that Azimer uses summoned creatures to provide him with a steady supply of larvae.

I haven't seen a comprehensive write up of the connection between larvae and lich.
TBeholder Posted - 06 Aug 2019 : 19:40:20
There were Planescape references - liches dealing with hags to get a stable supply of larvae, IIRC. So, not unique.
Then again, liches and their processes in general may differ a lot, it's not an "ISO standard" procedure. Perhas some do, some don't. Just like with demilichdom.
LordXenophon Posted - 06 Aug 2019 : 15:51:37
That was one specific lich, whose lichdom process was flawed. There was only ever supposed to be the one. Without them, he would not have lasted long enough to become a demilich.
The Arcanamach Posted - 06 Aug 2019 : 12:37:28
LordXenophon Posted - 01 Aug 2019 : 17:28:52
Your insane lich might also have copies of a few of these biographies:

Grogald the Dragonslayer - The Untold Story
Hans Sunite Anderson, by Mika Snome
Maldiglas the Magnificent, by Third Reader Obar Castanov
Magisters Remembered, by Starbearer Benten Ford of the Starry Quill
Nurse Delphene, by Sir Gunther Thorp
Shoon IV, by Third Reader Obar Castanov
Sister Mary Agnes. by Third Reader Obar Castanov
Ten Black Days of Eleint, by Sir Guideon Dauntrael
The Dragon Magister, by Magestrix Immue Dathril
The Flame of the North, by Magestrix Immue Dathril
The Great Bigby, by Elminster the Sage
The Mysterious, Talking Cloud, by Magestrix Immue Dathril
The Night of Fourteen Magisters, by Magestrix Immue Dathril
The Voyages of Driz'zt, by Danilo Thann
True Stories of the Waterdeep Watch, by Armar Bjorn Bjornson
Tyranthraxus, by Bishop Braccio (98% fact free)
Who Was One Stein Albert?, by Snilloc

...and some of these autobiograpies:

34 Days in Anauroch, by Sir Guideon Dauntrael
Big Explosions Come in Small Packages, by Magestrix Immue Dathril
Called Shot Eyeball, by Chase Trueshot
Have Spellbook, Will Travel, by Snilloc
I Am Woman, Hear Me Blow Things Up, by Magestrix Immue Dathril
I Walked the Starry Road, by Sir Guideon Dauntrael
Martek, by Martek (which first appeared in Desert of Desolation)
No Crypt Unopened, by Levall Hunecson
Petite but Powerful, by Magestrix Immue Dathril
Short Skirt, Tall Hat, by Dianna P. Wands-Thunderstaff
The Year of the Minotaur Paladin, by Magestrix Immue Dathril
To Be a War Wizard, by Sir Guideon Dauntrael
To Cut a King's Beard, by Elminster the Barber
Voyages of the Sea Sprite, by Driz'zt Do'Urden

...or perhaps this diary:

Akmire - The Unauthorized Autobiography, by Ohtilob Mailliw
sleyvas Posted - 01 Aug 2019 : 12:43:12
Hey, the chickens from the dead book... it made me think, any creatures in the realms known to regenerate, eat junk, but that are also possibly tasty? I say this thinking eating troll would be nasty. Hmmm, a half-troll rothe….
AJA Posted - 31 Jul 2019 : 23:34:21

quote:
Originally posted by AJA
highly subjective

HIGH•LY ('ha? li)
adv.
1. extremely: highly amusing.

SUB·JEC·TIVE (s?b-jek'tiv)
adj.
b. Based on a given person's experience, understanding, and feelings; personal or individual: admitted he was making a highly subjective judgment.

quote:
Originally posted by LordXenophon
This was not meant as a list of jokes. The reason you don't get most of the puns is because most of the titles don't contain any.
quote:
The Benefits of Raising Chickens from the Dead
Line, Square, Cube, Tessaract, by One Stein Albert
A Brief History of Thyme, by Stephen Cooking
Big Band Theory

Ah. My apologies. Carry on with your srs bsns then.

LordXenophon Posted - 31 Jul 2019 : 16:05:23
quote:
Originally posted by AJA
we all know that humor is highly subjective and that the only amusing or punnish titles that are funny are the ones we personally come up with

This was not meant as a list of jokes. The reason you don't get most of the puns is because most of the titles don't contain any. This is simply a selection of books that seem odd enough to be found in the library of an insane lich.

All of these books have been found and looted by my players, over the years.
sleyvas Posted - 31 Jul 2019 : 13:58:08
These are all wonderful, especially the several I see with "inside jokes" like Gary Greataxe, but I in particular love these as particularly "realmsian" to me.

quote:

Results of 308 Dischargings of a Wand of Wonder
Symbiogenesis of Myconids
1,000 Uses for Dead Monsters, by Amelior Amanitas
Serpent Milking for the Complete Klutz, by Elaith Craulnober
The Needs and Wants of Evil Dragons, by Krashos Morueme
The Magister's Guide to Wall Spells, by Magister Imrul Athelzedar

I would change one of the titles to "sembiogenesis of Myconids, Vegepygmies, and Campestris near Araumycos"
AJA Posted - 31 Jul 2019 : 00:53:47

MEMOIRS/GENERAL MUSINGS
A Hundred Years Since The Grave (1093DR, Dlaerph the Masked, Wizard-King of Talimdrar)
The Art of Roaring (1347DR, Billobaris "Bull-Roarer" Barrellbuck)
Embraced By A Goddess (1356DR, Farathae Fire-Winged, The Flower That Blooms [Of Pearl and Gold], High Priestess of the House of the Sunset Gates)
Horizons Vast and Lost: An Archmage Contemplates Life at Five Hundred (1359DR, Dlaerph the Deathless)
My First Hundred Years (959DR, Dlaerph the Grey, First Stave of Talimdrar)

SAGE TREATISES [ ANIMAL LORE ]
The Beast-Book of Glun Ever-Odder
Fantasticals of Faerūn, Vol.4: The Golden Roseate of Tethyr, The Iron-Cast Beast and The Ruby-Combed Cock of the Madrisoars (1220DR, Daskarn of Berdusk)
More Fur Than Flesh: An Accounting of Lycanthropy, Its' Causes, And Methods of Extirpation (1267DR, Tarrael the Quiet, Sage of Elturel)
On the Dangerous Creatures of the Northern Lands (1096DR, Maurandra Myrmelleth, Master of Scrolls of the Brightstars Tower)
Wyrms and How to Know Them (727DR, Thelvastra the Wise)

SAGE TREATISES [ THE ART and MAGICAL THEORY ]
A Magician's Guide to Magical Lubricants, Sympathetic Inks, Ointments and Greases (1132DR, Cecaedra Brosnagh, Greensage of Corwell)
A New Treatise on the Elements of Magic (1279DR, Vlamander of the Ten Tempests)
Elucidations of Magecraft (1023DR, Eroaith the Old Stave, Archmage of Mintamber)
Imcala's Magical and Practical Theories of Elemental Flame: Revised Version With Rules and Examples for the Proper Useage of Planar Incandescence (1088DR, Imcala of Candlekeep)
Mystic Theories and Knowledge of the Netherese (676DR, Glorphest the Murmurous)

SAGE TREATISES [ WAR and THE MARTIAL ARTS ]
The Amnian Way: Fighting Styles for Fighting Merchants (1286DR, Halarmun of Athkatla)
Fflera's Manual of Arms (1330DR, Fflera Sunsleer)
To Conquer A Kingdom (Maist Belachos, Grim-Eyed, Lion of Anhur)
The Truth of Steel (1249DR, Beleron of Tempus)
Urevel's Book of Battleboldness

TRAVELOGUES [ "TRUE-TELL-ALLS" ]
A Journey Through Many Dangerous Things (1364DR, Bungol the Brave)
Into Depths Unknown (1239DR, Vauntra of Impiltur, Bold-Bright of Tymora)
The Strange Voyage and Adventures of Durask Azhawk, to the World in the Moon (1308DR, Durask Azhawk, Boldest Blade of Tymora)
Through the Hushed Depths: An Exact and Concise Account of Deep-Delving (1336DR, Nirist Half-Blood)
The Wonderful, Surprising and Uncommon Voyages and Adventures of Glandurl Ringfrost, Master of the Soaring Songbird (940DR, Glandurl Ringfrost, Sailor of Both Sea and Sky)

The Five CHAPBOOKS Currently Popular in Waterdeep
Asthemerelle's Golden Guidebook: A Precise and Tasteful Manual of Noble Fashions and Fads in the Year of the Gauntlet and Beyond ("The Lady Asthemerelle," popular pen-name, author unknown)
Blackwul's Blades of the Northern Heroes (Thentas Blackwul, sage of Yartar)
Blood-Red Tales (As Told By One Who Knows) (Arsklaur the Bitten Sage)
Seven True Tales of Lost Netheril (Undlarra Maurhawk)
Tales Told Over A Wayfire (various)

AJA Posted - 31 Jul 2019 : 00:49:36
quote:
To Eat or Not to Eat: A Guide to 3,000 Year Old Preserved Foods

This is absolutely a book that would be written somewhere in the Realms. And has probably gone through at least a dozen updates and revisions.

Also, we all know that humor is highly subjective and that the only amusing or punnish titles that are funny are the ones we personally come up with, but this;
quote:
Amelior Amanitas's Guide to Cats

I like this very much. I don't know why. But I'm totally stealing it.

LordXenophon Posted - 30 Jul 2019 : 03:10:22
First, a few selections from Academic Papers and Other Non-Fiction:

Cursed Dolls of the World
An Illustrated Guide to Magical Fraud Among the Ancients
There's a Spell for That
To Eat or Not to Eat: A Guide to 3,000 Year Old Preserved Foods
The Benefits of Raising Chickens from the Dead
Nocturnal Anuresis and its Applications in Divination
1001 Uses for Duck Tripe, by Garrison Smeller
Dental Maladies of the Orcish Clans
101 Uses for Dead Slime Molds
Autopsy of a Beholder
An Analysis of Stability Degradation in Zombies, by Kaed'urn Do'ari'is
Mundane Diseases Often Mistaken for Lycanthropy
Is Thanatology a Distinctly Separate Discipline from Necromancy?
Methods of Cryptography Applied to Messy Handwrighting
Results of 308 Dischargings of a Wand of Wonder
Double Entry Bookkeeping for Wizards
Line, Square, Cube, Tessaract, by One Stein Albert
A Brief History of Thyme, by Stephen Cooking
The Fundamentals of Haruspication
In Search Of: (title of your next adventure module), by Amelior Amanitas
This Is Your Magic Staff
Tripping Over the Familiar: Insights on Animal Behavior
Big Band Theory
Three New Solutions to Piltertilk's Postulative Equations
Symbiogenesis of Myconids
The Wonderful World of Porridge
30 Recipes for Healing Potions, by Magestrix Noumea Drathchuld
The Ultimate Book of Dwarf Jokes
1,000 Uses for Dead Monsters, by Amelior Amanitas
Amelior Amanitas's Guide to Cats
Bilbo's Speed-Looting Guide
Frogs of the Moonshae Isles
Guerilla Tactics in the Town Market
Hard Tack Made Easy
How to Make Enemies and Beat Up People, by Lex Luthor King
How to Train Your Mimic
Master of the Dungeon, by Gary Greataxe
Making Undeath Work
Serpent Milking for the Complete Klutz, by Elaith Craulnober
That Bass! by Noah Zarch
Olgracia Lightfoot's Gude to Preserving Ancient Texts
Marfa Knitbrow's Guide to Preserving Ancient Texts Without Magic
The Needs and Wants of Evil Dragons, by Krashos Morueme
Chumming for Sea Monsters, by Noah Zarch
Lord Gray's Anatomy of the Illithid Body
The Encyclopedia of Technology and Superstition, by Tarkas Thunderstaff
The Magister's Guide to Wall Spells, by Magister Imrul Athelzedar

If you think these are interesting, you should see the fiction titles. I could write an entire article on just the Little Esturel series, but those probably wouldn't be in your lich's library.
LordXenophon Posted - 30 Jul 2019 : 02:13:16
I'm always coming up with new book titles and adding them to treasure hoards. I have a huge spreadsheet of them. Give me a minute and I can pick out a few of the crazier titles.
Cards77 Posted - 25 Jul 2019 : 16:01:39
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Where Talos would set fire to a forest, Shar wants that forest to never have existed at all.

This isn't consistent with her "Lady of Loss" title. Loss and forgetfulness are in her portfolio in 3e, at least, and to me that speaks of aging and ailments like Alzheimer's -- the anguish of inexorable decline and being powerless against it. The kind of emotional pain that most people don't speak of. That goes along with the "dark" and "night" in her portfolio too.

I think I take exception with associating Shar directly with entropy also because as entropy takes over and reality (or the social fabric, on a smaller scale) disintegrates, there's less and less activity. The logical conclusion of entropy is absolute stillness. Yet Shar's faith is not apathetic. The 3e FRCS says "The dark is a time to act, not wait." It also says "Obey ranking clergy unless it would result in your own death" -- so one's own life is not meaningless, a la nihilism... life is worthwhile, useful, a positive... which argues against entropy as well.

Just my take on it. I think Shar and her church are actively, energetically sadistic, not entropic or apathetic or nihilistic.

I would tend to agree including the fact that Shar seems to find value in loss and all that goes with it, FOR ITS OWN SAKE.

Important point IMO

Losing and loss be definition strongly implies that the thing/feelings/whatever existed in the first place.

You cannot lose something that never existed.
xaeyruudh Posted - 25 Jul 2019 : 06:29:09
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

He's a narcissist. He's the Michael Bay of the gods.

Nice.
xaeyruudh Posted - 25 Jul 2019 : 06:27:47
quote:

Where Talos would set fire to a forest, Shar wants that forest to never have existed at all.

This isn't consistent with her "Lady of Loss" title. Loss and forgetfulness are in her portfolio in 3e, at least, and to me that speaks of aging and ailments like Alzheimer's -- the anguish of inexorable decline and being powerless against it. The kind of emotional pain that most people don't speak of. That goes along with the "dark" and "night" in her portfolio too.

I think I take exception with associating Shar directly with entropy also because as entropy takes over and reality (or the social fabric, on a smaller scale) disintegrates, there's less and less activity. The logical conclusion of entropy is absolute stillness. Yet Shar's faith is not apathetic. The 3e FRCS says "The dark is a time to act, not wait." It also says "Obey ranking clergy unless it would result in your own death" -- so one's own life is not meaningless, a la nihilism... life is worthwhile, useful, a positive... which argues against entropy as well.

Just my take on it. I think Shar and her church are actively, energetically sadistic, not entropic or apathetic or nihilistic.
AJA Posted - 24 Jul 2019 : 08:32:56
quote:
Shar wants it to end. She's not a goddess of destruction, she's a goddess of nihilism. Where Talos wants to wreck, Shar wants to unmake. Where Talos would set fire to a forest, Shar wants that forest to never have existed at all.

Yes. Talos doesn't want the world to end because he wants an audience. He's not into entropy like Shar, he's into grand spectacle. Destruction is loud, flashy, titanic, but only if there's someone around to witness it ("if a tree falls in the forest...").

He's a narcissist. He's the Michael Bay of the gods.

LordofBones Posted - 24 Jul 2019 : 03:12:53
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:
Question
Whisperwyvern of Shar? Is this an actual title somewhere. its really odd.

Not so far as I know.

And remember, before 3E's inane SHADOW SHADOW SHADE SHADOW SHADE SHADE SHADOW, the Lady of Loss was a god of bitterness, jealousy and discord. The faithful Uldalara's insidious whisperings are just as sharp and poisonous (in their plottings) as the sting of a wyvern, hence....

Gotcha. As I said, odd, but interesting enough that it made me wonder if someone came up with any cool titles for the priesthood. Yeah, I miss the days when the Sharrans priests were more secretive and less out to end all life (which in my book was always more of Talos' goal).

I think the difference is how Talos and Shar operate.

Talos is a natural force of destruction. He's a god of storms and fire, of whirlwinds and earthquakes. Whatever that is created must be destroyed so that something new can rise from the ruins.

Shar wants it to end. She's not a goddess of destruction, she's a goddess of nihilism. Where Talos wants to wreck, Shar wants to unmake. Where Talos would set fire to a forest, Shar wants that forest to never have existed at all.
Cards77 Posted - 24 Jul 2019 : 02:52:07
quote:

My bad; I should have been less matter-of-fact. We each come to our own understanding of how things should work.

It wasn't my intention to stifle creativity in any case; I'm bookmarking this thread and I'd like to see it keep growing.

Not your bad at all! Any good ideas/discussion is worthy of inclusion.
xaeyruudh Posted - 23 Jul 2019 : 21:03:02
My bad; I should have been less matter-of-fact. We each come to our own understanding of how things should work.

It wasn't my intention to stifle creativity in any case; I'm bookmarking this thread and I'd like to see it keep growing.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Jul 2019 : 02:44:57
I, too, am unsure about the assertion that liches have infinite memories. I don't recall anything stating or supporting that idea.

Even if it was true, liches still have to acquire the knowledge before they can hold on to it.
Cards77 Posted - 23 Jul 2019 : 00:41:35
quote:

I like where this thread has gone, but if we're talking about liches (or anything else that's dead or inorganic) they don't need reference books or to refresh their memories. A lich's memory is arguably infinite; certainly sufficient to store everything it actually cares about.

Now, it's a given that many/most liches are insane, and the one the OP referred to certainly is, but there's no rational reason to give invaders hints about one's passions by leaving relevant books lying around. I would argue that insanity doesn't make liches stupid.

Meaning a lich's library is (I think) more likely to contain cursed tomes and scrolls, minor artifacts with mostly/completely harmful powers, and truly useless things like translations of poorly written autobiographies from one dead language into another. And such.

Azimer who is the subject of the OP is not only insane but clearly he not only forgot many things but is also misremembering facts.

So I would say there is much evidence to dispute your theory, and insanity is a form of dementia, which is by definition a loss or alteration of memory capabilities.

Furthermore, even IF liches somehow have god-like infinite memories, that doesn't exclude them from keeping books or other items because they may FEEL that they still need them or because they still WANT them.

As the canon states regarding Azimer, he prepares and eats abyssal larva even though he stopped needing to eat centuries ago.

So, each lich clearly has it's own personality, quirks and perspective on WHAT and HOW it remembers certain things.

That would in turn suggest that not only is a liches memory finite despite their high intelligence.

As we know from idiot savants, intelligence is not a direct measurement of memory or vice versa.
xaeyruudh Posted - 22 Jul 2019 : 22:00:30
I like where this thread has gone, but if we're talking about liches (or anything else that's dead or inorganic) they don't need reference books or to refresh their memories. A lich's memory is arguably infinite; certainly sufficient to store everything it actually cares about.

Now, it's a given that many/most liches are insane, and the one the OP referred to certainly is, but there's no rational reason to give invaders hints about one's passions by leaving relevant books lying around. I would argue that insanity doesn't make liches stupid.

Meaning a lich's library is (I think) more likely to contain cursed tomes and scrolls, minor artifacts with mostly/completely harmful powers, and truly useless things like translations of poorly written autobiographies from one dead language into another. And such.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Jul 2019 : 02:00:03
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:
Question

Not so far as I know.

And remember, before 3E's inane SHADOW SHADOW SHADE SHADOW SHADE SHADE SHADOW, the Lady of Loss was a god of bitterness, jealousy and discord. The faithful Uldalara's insidious whisperings are just as sharp and poisonous (in their plottings) as the sting of a wyvern, hence....

You forgot to mention "shadow" in there somewhere.

I never paid much attention to Shar in 2E... But 3E made me really appreciate the 2E Shar. I found it grandly ironic that 3E very firmly put the spotlight on a deity that preferred darkness.

Good reasoning on that title, though.
sleyvas Posted - 21 Jul 2019 : 00:35:45
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:
Question

Not so far as I know.

Gotcha. As I said, odd, but interesting enough that it made me wonder if someone came up with any cool titles for the priesthood. Yeah, I miss the days when the Sharrans priests were more secretive and less out to end all life (which in my book was always more of Talos' goal).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000