Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The State of the Dead Three after the Sundering

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Storyteller Hero Posted - 17 Jun 2019 : 11:51:33
In two DnD videos, it's been stated that the Dead Three (Bane, Myrkul, Bhaal) have been reduced to mortal demigods in the mortal realms as a penalty for wanting to continue directly interacting with the mortal realms.

Baldur's Gate 3' and The Dead Three in D&D --- 2:36
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIdSoaR7SH4

Dragon Talk: LYSK The Dead Three, 3/15/18 --- about 5 minutes into the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAveVhvydhM

By itself, this doesn't really fit with how the Dead Three have been presented - they're neither stupid enough, reckless enough, naive enough, nor brave enough to give up their godly power to such a large degree, at least not AFTER what they learned from the Time of Troubles.

In addition, Mystra's physical appearance in Spellstorm would suggest that avatars can still be created on Toril without giving up the greater part of the main body's divine strength.

It therefore makes more sense if the mortal presences of the Dead Three are not their main bodies, but rather their mortal avatars projected from their divine realms.

AO'S DECREE

A possible explanation that brings things together amicably is that Ao has decreed that all gods of Realmspace can only project a single, limited power investment avatar INTO Realmspace, with the power of a demigod but most definitely killable by mortals. They can still make avatars OUTSIDE of Realmspace normally, but within the crystal sphere there is now a restriction.

How does this sound?

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Jun 2019 : 15:10:52
If you dump portfolios, then there's no point to multiple gods, because there's nothing to distinguish them from each other. And if they don't have any particular thing that empowers them, then they all wither away.
Gary Dallison Posted - 22 Jun 2019 : 09:38:46
The whole portfolio idea is terrible. It only serves to break the one curb on a gods power, in that they cannot survive if they have no worshippers.

With portfolios you can have a God of nuclear physics (even though it doesn't exist as a field of study in the realms) just because some deus ex machina says so. A portfolio is another part of the problem of gods directly intervening in the material plane (which I'm sure most will acknowledge is a terrible idea), they exist only to serve and defend those portfolios and have some or total control (according to novels) over events directly related to those portfolios, which gives rise to fuzzy logic about lolth not allowing PCs to perform certain actions against drow because her portfolio is drow.

Without portfolios the whole God concept begins to make some sense. A God is defined by his followers and is given power by their prayers, without those followers he swiftly diminishes into nothing.
The church determines what their God stands for (guided by myths and their divine texts), if another church tries to muscle in on that territory (theologically or geographically), then it is the religious servants of that church who will battle for supremacy until there is a clear winner (calling upon the power of their God to aid them - spells).
Without portfolios any action is allowed and it all plays out on the stage that is toril, which let's face it is what we are all interested in (rather than some otherworldly deific domain that we have little knowledge about or connection to).

So dump portfolios and you solve a lot of problems with the realms, then you can start having complex, intricate interaction between the people and organisations of toril, rather than the child like tantrums of the gods.
sleyvas Posted - 22 Jun 2019 : 02:34:06
quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller Hero

It's worth noting that, at least as of the explanation in Faiths and Avatars (2e), most if not all divine portfolios can be shared between multiple deities, though not necessarily in equal quantities of influence.

According to a conference with the FR authors (available on YouTube) about the Sundering, the Tablets of Fate act as a stabilizing anchor for portfolios (at least for Realmspace), so gods were able to lose all of their portfolio to another with just the death of their avatar (ex. Mask) in the absence of the Tablets of Fate.

With the return of the Tablets of Fate and previously lost gods, it's probably become something of a tug of war now on portfolios, but not the "yoink" environment of the Era of Upheaval. Returning gods could be pulling at their previous portfolios, regaining part of their original influence and resulting in shared portfolios (not necessarily a willing share).

This is kind of what I've been saying for a while. Basically, there may be many portfolios that can be shared amongst multiple gods so long as the portfolio doesn't imply that they have "absolute control" over the portfolio. For instance, Mask being the god of thieves shouldn't mean he can control all thieves. There can be another god of thieves. They can compete for worshippers, even within the same pantheon. Same goes for war, beauty, justice, etc.. as long as the gods have unique takes on such. I realize this goes a bit against the concepts written up for how gods worked after the ToT regarding portfolios, but it makes sense. However, within a pantheon, there should be only one moon goddess if there's only one moon.... unless of course some goddesses agree to share the moon phases or somesuch. Same with their being only one sun god, unless the sun deities agree to somehow share the portfolio (a god of rainbows and light, and another the god sunsets and fire).

The big problem here would become too many deities with the same portfolio would mean less divine power as its "split". This is what would lead the gods to conflict and one try to wipe out the other.... not Ao saying "only one can have it". Its like multiple animals of the same kind inhabiting an area and competing for resources. If there's not enough they come into conflict. This might lead some gods to try to have numerous portfolios to eke a little from each, and this is where I think Ao might require them to DO SOMETHING in order to ally themselves with a portfolio (i.e. not just wake up and announce, I'm god of enchantment magic). So, if they have to put some kind of buy in to get a portfolio (say an expense of divine power), they're going to probably need significant "return on investment". Thus deities would be leery to invest in a portfolio of beauty for instance if there's already 3 other beauty gods who are better known for it in the first place.
sleyvas Posted - 22 Jun 2019 : 02:32:01
quote:

It's worth noting that, at least as of the explanation in Faiths and Avatars (2e), most if not all divine portfolios can be shared between multiple deities, though not necessarily in equal quantities of influence.

According to a conference with the FR authors (available on YouTube) about the Sundering, the Tablets of Fate act as a stabilizing anchor for portfolios (at least for Realmspace), so gods were able to lose all of their portfolio to another with just the death of their avatar (ex. Mask) in the absence of the Tablets of Fate.

With the return of the Tablets of Fate and previously lost gods, it's probably become something of a tug of war now on portfolios, but not the "yoink" environment of the Era of Upheaval. Returning gods could be pulling at their previous portfolios, regaining part of their original influence and resulting in shared portfolios (not necessarily a willing share).

This is kind of what I've been saying for a while. Basically, there may be many portfolios that can be shared amongst multiple gods so long as the portfolio doesn't imply that they have "absolute control" over the portfolio. For instance, Mask being the god of thieves shouldn't mean he can control all thieves. There can be another god of thieves. They can compete for worshippers, even within the same pantheon. Same goes for war, beauty, justice, etc.. as long as the gods have unique takes on such. I realize this goes a bit against the concepts written up for how gods worked after the ToT regarding portfolios, but it makes sense. However, within a pantheon, there should be only one moon goddess if there's only one moon.... unless of course some goddesses agree to share the moon phases or somesuch. Same with their being only one sun god, unless the sun deities agree to somehow share the portfolio (a god of rainbows and light, and another the god sunsets and fire).

The big problem here would become too many deities with the same portfolio would mean less divine power as its "split". This is what would lead the gods to conflict and one try to wipe out the other.... not Ao saying "only one can have it". Its like multiple animals of the same kind inhabiting an area and competing for resources. If there's not enough they come into conflict. This might lead some gods to try to have numerous portfolios to eke a little from each, and this is where I think Ao might require them to DO SOMETHING in order to ally themselves with a portfolio (i.e. not just wake up and announce, I'm god of enchantment magic). So, if they have to put some kind of buy in to get a portfolio (say an expense of divine power), they're going to probably need significant "return on investment". Thus deities would be leery to invest in a portfolio of beauty for instance if there's already 3 other beauty gods who are better known for it in the first place.
Zeromaru X Posted - 21 Jun 2019 : 19:33:37
quote:

I guess that this is what happens during the Second Sundering (1482 to 1487 DR), with the gods working hard, by themselves and through their Chosen and other servants, to maintain or regain their portfolios, or gaining new ones if they had a chance. And by 1488 DR, that stuff got consolidated. That would explain the silence of the gods during 1487 and 1488 DR.
Storyteller Hero Posted - 21 Jun 2019 : 13:01:23

Irennan Posted - 20 Jun 2019 : 23:32:12
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

quote:

From what I understand, their current power doesn't depend on being resurrected (lots of deities have returned with their old power/portfolios, a few even gaining some more on top of it), but it's due to some kind of condition imposed by Ao (as in: you want to be a meddlesom little f***er? Well, now you are demigods and can be killed by randoms).

How can they have their old portfolios when someone else has them?

Those other deities no longer have the portfolios, or the returned deities only have a part of their old portfolios. Kelemvor now only has "the dead", while Myrkul has death; Bhaal has murder and Cyric no longer has it; Leira only has illusions; Mask took intrigue and Cyric no longer has it.

So they nerfed the new deities so they could bring back the old ones, got it.

Not in my Realms.

Neither in mine. My take on gods is very different from the published Realms. In any case, that's what it is in the current version.
Gary Dallison Posted - 20 Jun 2019 : 20:01:01
From the sound of it, not in anyone's realms except for Mr Mearls' weird gygaxian version
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Jun 2019 : 19:21:54
quote:

quote:

quote:

From what I understand, their current power doesn't depend on being resurrected (lots of deities have returned with their old power/portfolios, a few even gaining some more on top of it), but it's due to some kind of condition imposed by Ao (as in: you want to be a meddlesom little f***er? Well, now you are demigods and can be killed by randoms).

Those other deities no longer have the portfolios, or the returned deities only have a part of their old portfolios. Kelemvor now only has "the dead", while Myrkul has death; Bhaal has murder and Cyric no longer has it; Leira only has illusions; Mask took intrigue and Cyric no longer has it.

So they nerfed the new deities so they could bring back the old ones, got it.

Not in my Realms.
Irennan Posted - 20 Jun 2019 : 14:44:00
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

That doesn't mean that he took it back. Just that people ask him about that.

Since in Cyric's writeup there's little pointing to him still having intrigue, I think it's likely that Mask now has it.
Zeromaru X Posted - 20 Jun 2019 : 14:19:30
That doesn't mean that he took it back. Just that people ask him about that.
Irennan Posted - 20 Jun 2019 : 14:17:14
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

quote:
Mask took intrigue and Cyric no longer has it.
Did he? AFAIK while Cyric is nowadays only listed as having the portfolio of lies, Mask is only listed as having the portfolio of thieves.

No mention that Mask took intrigrue back, just every deity shortened to just a single listed portfolio without further explanation why the rest of their former portfolios isn't listed anymore

Mask's entry in the SCAG (I mean his description) suggests that he took back intrigue ("People whisper a prayer to Mask whenever stealth is required or intrigue is afoot").
Mirtek Posted - 20 Jun 2019 : 05:44:51
quote:
Mask took intrigue and Cyric no longer has it.
Did he? AFAIK while Cyric is nowadays only listed as having the portfolio of lies, Mask is only listed as having the portfolio of thieves.

No mention that Mask took intrigrue back, just every deity shortened to just a single listed portfolio without further explanation why the rest of their former portfolios isn't listed anymore
Irennan Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 22:18:20
quote:

quote:

Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 22:01:39
quote:

Irennan Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 21:43:29
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

So sayeth the web notes. If the same end is achieved but in a more believable manner, with less of just "Ao's having a fit" both sides are happy. Until it hits paper, things can be discussed and rehashed.

Oh, sure, I didn't mean to shut down the conversation, even though, looking at my previous post, I understand why it may have looked like that. Things can be discussed and rehashed even after they hit paper.
sleyvas Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 21:21:36
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll definitely agree that it makes perfect sense for Bhaal and Myrkul to come back as demigods...

Given that it was prior canon that Myrkul was happier NOT being a deity, I disagree that it makes sense to re-deify him in any format.

Ok, let me add a disclaimer... since they ARE bringing him back... it makes sense for him to come back as a demigod. My point being much like the person I was quoting... both Bhaal and Myrkul were "gone" from the existing as a deity standpoint. So, if they do decide to come back (and oddly, they may not have been given a choice... note, I said MAY... there is a chance that something forced Myrkul to leave the crown of horns.... it could have even have been a ritual performed by worshippers... I say this from the standpoint that we've often said that gods are shaped by their worshippers beliefs).

But as far as Bane goes, it makes no sense whatsoever for him to be a demigod UNLESS some of the ideas we've proposed in the past are true (i.e. Iyachtu Xvim was using Bane's name) and thus a "demigod" Bane and a separate "greater god" Bane are existing at the same time (with the greater god being Xvim). I actually kind of like this idea, especially with the odd idea that "returned Gilgeam" is "demigod Bane" possessing the "godflesh" that formerly held Gilgeam. It would work with my concept that some gods were active during the spellplague in Abeir, and that they had to "build up" power their at first as "lesser avatars" that basically had to inhabit the bodies of worshippers (like during ToT) before building a separate "avatar" body.

So sayeth the web notes. If the same end is achieved but in a more believable manner, with less of just "Ao's having a fit" both sides are happy. Until it hits paper, things can be discussed and rehashed.
sleyvas Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 21:16:04
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll definitely agree that it makes perfect sense for Bhaal and Myrkul to come back as demigods...

Given that it was prior canon that Myrkul was happier NOT being a deity, I disagree that it makes sense to re-deify him in any format.

Ok, let me add a disclaimer... since they ARE bringing him back... it makes sense for him to come back as a demigod. My point being much like the person I was quoting... both Bhaal and Myrkul were "gone" from the existing as a deity standpoint. So, if they do decide to come back (and oddly, they may not have been given a choice... note, I said MAY... there is a chance that something forced Myrkul to leave the crown of horns.... it could have even have been a ritual performed by worshippers... I say this from the standpoint that we've often said that gods are shaped by their worshippers beliefs).

But as far as Bane goes, it makes no sense whatsoever for him to be a demigod UNLESS some of the ideas we've proposed in the past are true (i.e. Iyachtu Xvim was using Bane's name) and thus a "demigod" Bane and a separate "greater god" Bane are existing at the same time (with the greater god being Xvim). I actually kind of like this idea, especially with the odd idea that "returned Gilgeam" is "demigod Bane" possessing the "godflesh" that formerly held Gilgeam. It would work with my concept that some gods were active during the spellplague in Abeir, and that they had to "build up" power their at first as "lesser avatars" that basically had to inhabit the bodies of worshippers (like during ToT) before building a separate "avatar" body.

Storyteller Hero Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 21:11:25
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:

Or perhaps the 3.x/4e Bane was in fact Achra, the Bane from the Dawn War. That would explain his passivity since his "return". It was just a different individual. With the Realms Bane being returned as demigod in the Second Sundering.

My theory about Dawn War Bane is that he was reduced to a demigod at some point and then met up with Bhaal and Myrkul to attack Jergal.

That would explain his reaction to becoming mortal in the Avatar series, which wouldn't make sense if he was ever mortal.

In this case, Dawn War Bane and Realms Bane are the same entity, but their power level has had its ups and downs over the eons.

That said, Bane is currently a multi-spheric deity thanks to Nerath revealed in 4e, so he'd have the most to lose in risking so much of his divine power that he becomes a mere demigod, which would go against the terms of his portfolio and his personality.

There's also the mess of souls in the Dead Three's respective afterlives.

Irennan Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 20:24:30
quote:

So the events of previous arcs are still recognized by later releases and given an outcome. They just no longer get novel trilogies on their own.

That's just the outcome of the Tyranny of Dragons; as for the Rage of Demons, the demon invasion was kinda a given, but nothing was said about whether Lolth succeeded or not--which would be the main answer one would expect from a canonical outcome (I mean, it looks like she failed, because otherwise such a big change in the Abyss power hierarchy would have been spotlight in some way, but still, there's no hard canon). For the others, as far as I can tell, we know nothing, so (unless you are aware of outcomes that I don't know about; I've kinda stopped following their stuff) that's only one story that was given a canonical outcome (and only through a footnote in a novel, not in a clear and defined way in sourcebooks or in one of their lore videos).
Zeromaru X Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 19:28:50
quote:

Or perhaps the 3.x/4e Bane was in fact Achra, the Bane from the Dawn War. That would explain his passivity since his "return". It was just a different individual. With the Realms Bane being returned as demigod in the Second Sundering.
Mirtek Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 18:19:48
quote:

quote:

quote:

In two DnD videos, it's been stated that the Dead Three (Bane, Myrkul, Bhaal) have been reduced to mortal demigods in the mortal realms as a penalty for wanting to continue directly interacting with the mortal realms.

Much emphasis on them shedding their immortality and that they can be killed.

Looks like the Dead Three are going to soon again become the dead three in canon.

I hope that BG has a patron deity selection as part of the character creation. Would be too sweat to slay Bhaal with a cyricist assassin.

Higly doubt it. It seems to me that they just want to offer a plot hook for campaigns, rather than rule it canon themselves. In fact, none of their adventures has a canonical outcome, so I dobut BG: Descent into Avernus (their upcoming adventure) will have it. I don't think they'll ever do something like that again; it's much easier to just lay out the plot hooks and then let individual groups develop them however they like.

According to its trailer, the BG 3 storyline will be mainly about illithids and will have nothing to do with the original BG story, so I don't think Bhaal will have any important role in the main plot.

Actually they do. They are just no longer spotlighted as much as in the past, but the CotD tried to summon Tiamat and failed (it's a footnote in the last Drizzt books), the demonlords came to the prime and where banished back (again only briefly touched in the Brimstone Angels novels and more prominently in the Drizzt novels).

So the events of previous arcs are still recognized by later releases and given an outcome. They just no longer get novel trilogies on their own.
Irennan Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 18:15:28
quote:

quote:

Looks like the Dead Three are going to soon again become the dead three in canon.

I hope that BG has a patron deity selection as part of the character creation. Would be too sweat to slay Bhaal with a cyricist assassin.

Higly doubt it. It seems to me that they just want to offer a plot hook for campaigns, rather than rule it canon themselves. In fact, none of their adventures has a canonical outcome, so I dobut BG: Descent into Avernus (their upcoming adventure) will have it. I don't think they'll ever do something like that again; it's much easier to just lay out the plot hooks and then let individual groups develop them however they like.

According to its trailer, the BG 3 storyline will be mainly about illithids and will have nothing to do with the original BG story, so I don't think Bhaal will have any important role in the main plot.
Mirtek Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 17:52:24
quote:

quote:
UNLESS some of the ideas we've proposed in the past are true (i.e. Iyachtu Xvim was using Bane's name) and thus a "demigod" Bane and a separate "greater god" Bane are existing at the same time (with the greater god being Xvim).

I still like my theory that Xvim aggravated Cyric one time too often and he slew Xvim while prentending it was due to the return of Bane and has been posing as both himself and Bane all the time.
Irennan Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 16:24:08
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

I'd just like to know what happened to 5e necromancy. Why is the capstone spell astral projection? Seriously, banshees still have their iconic wail while the core necromantic death spell is left out?

And poor Abi-Dalzim. Someone should really have stopped Mike Mearls purposely overbuffing fireball, because now all damage spells are compared to fireball.

Finger of Death is also disappointing. Not because it sucks compared to other spells, but because it shares the same problem of a lot of spells: they feel really same-y. They're just damage with a different label (and that's true for too many damage spells). I mean, yes it can create a zombie (only from humanoids, and only if it kills), but a single zombie per day is basically useless at 13th+ level.
Irennan Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 16:16:31
quote:

quote:

quote:

sleyvas Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 16:12:25
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

I'd just like to know what happened to 5e necromancy. Why is the capstone spell astral projection? Seriously, banshees still have their iconic wail while the core necromantic death spell is left out?

And poor Abi-Dalzim. Someone should really have stopped Mike Mearls purposely overbuffing fireball, because now all damage spells are compared to fireball.

Yeah, this is why I want to develop a "good list" of spells from dms guild. That being said, work, life, kids...
LordofBones Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 15:42:35

sleyvas Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 15:27:51
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

Oh my giddy aunt. Just when you think wotc couldn't possibly churn out something more nonsensical, generic, and kewl garbage they come out with several stickers at once.

I just don't get why 5e is so popular

First of all, the ruleset and the lore are not the same thing.

Second, from what I've heard, the 5E ruleset is a well-made one, with a lot of the better elements from prior editions rolled into one. I've heard very little negative about it.

there is a good bit that's negative. Most of it is in flexibility and options. However, what makes a difference is that there's not as huge a discrepancy at upper levels (which I didn't realize existed in 3.5e until I started playingdesigning at those levels). The 5e game needs a LOT of development rule wise, BUT its a start, and its relatively simple to bring new players in. The feat concept is more broad (there's not like 20 two weapon fighting feats, but rather a more encompassing feat). There also needs to be some more ways to implement "options" like feats (one of the things I developed so as to not just ADD power was the ability to trade in daily hit dice permanently in return for feats). There needs to be some ways to make old fashion builds that people used to do (for instance, a mage-priest that really works.... noting in 5e, you don't get a separate set of spell slots by class... you just get more spells memorized to choose from.... other options like a wizard who casts multiple protections on themselves... or wizards that specialize in contingent effects... or a wizard that maybe focuses on using a lot of magic items like wands despite having to be "attuned" to a limited number of items), even if it means spending a precious feat slot.

In the end, I guess I'm saying... hey, I love 3.5, I love pathfinder, but I see where its broken at high levels. This edition has some good "base" rules to help try to fix these things. It just needs to have some more options worked through and built in, but unless you have someone to truly playtest it, then it won't get caught. I'd really love to know moneywise how well WotC is doing comparing against the time of 3.5e (granted, that's affected by the fact that they also aren't releasing a lot).
sleyvas Posted - 19 Jun 2019 : 15:09:04
quote:

quote:

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000