Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 An Anchôromé Campaign

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Seethyr Posted - 28 May 2019 : 20:47:25
I've recently attempted to detail as much of the continent of Anchôromé as possible. I have a 100 page campaign guide coming out in a few weeks, after the cartographer I hired is finished with a few maps (greater Anchôromé and the Pasocada Basin). Otherwise it is ready to go. I have also detailed a "nation" mentioned in City of Gold known as "The Land of the Insect Men" in much closer detail. It's all fanon, but I have tried not to contradict any bit of the little written about the continent.

Since I had some time to kill, and an artist eager to share his work, I wrote up a short, fun little preview that might also be used on mainland Faerun if one so desired.

I do hope you enjoy it.

ANS0 The Bee Tribe of Anchôromé
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 29 Aug 2019 : 16:54:58
Hey, one thing I do recommend changing on the map. There's another big ass desert shown south of the Gadanee Hills. This isn't in City of Gold, and I think its just coming from where the person who at one time created a huge overview map of Toril added some extra desert. That being said, there's way too much desert already. I'd recommend turning that entire area into plains and putting the minnenewah tribe of the coyote there.

I'm noting that there's no reference for a couple of the minnenewah beast tribes, so I'm kind of throwing out some ideas (I realize that there are Azuposi tribes that are purely human that match up to bear/raven/wolf/dog/badger, etc... but the minnenewah aren't necessarily "human" fully). If you didn't intend for there to be minnenewah tribes dedicated to these spirits and have just the azuposi for them, let me know. The ones I'm noting are

coyote - recommend putting them in the area that I was just discussing above as being desert currently on the map. Put them in conflict with the Poscadari elves. I might personally have some gnolls move into the area (imports from Thay), and perhaps there are some jackalweres amongst the tribes.

wolf - my thoughts here is that this tribal land should be on the edge of the southern Adusgi forest and to the east of the Pagunkee Wood. It should include werewolves that escaped the Adusgi, but possibly the wolf spirit has given them control of their lycanthropy.

bear - this minnenewah tribe I see having ties to the Urskan people, and I also see them as being tied to the werebears of the Adusgi, and perhaps much like the wolf clan the spirit of the bear gave them control of their lycanthropy. This tribe I see being along the lake to the east of the Equuoni Geyvi and the Kaaya'yeeda. I see them hunting in the Kaaya'yeeda, especially the giant salmon there. I venture their lands and the urskan lands are intermixed within the forest and the plains as they border the forest, and these minnenewah probably build more with wood and have camps. They may also hate the tribe of the wolf.

raven - since we have the great raven being in mesa bovara and the Azuposi of great raven pueblo there, perhaps the raven tribe of Minnenewah is to the northwest of the lands of the Azuposi on the other side of the stretch of desert. These folk might be hengeyokai who can shapechange into ravens, and I also wouldn't be surprised to find kenku in the surrounding mountains.
sleyvas Posted - 28 Aug 2019 : 23:36:21
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Ah'Muzen'Cab placement? Its beneath a bog and its a new Abeil area. Where were you thinking of placing this?

I intentionally left placement of the locations added to Anchorome in the Land of the Insect Men vague for a number of reasons.

1. It has been difficult to get my cartography to keep up with me (bad excuse I know, but I am not a pro and sometimes it is hard working with others).
2. I'd like to allow each individual area that gets a supplement to have a little leeway for independent campaigns. I have the greater continent map in the campaign guide and only included the additional Pasocada Basin one because it was already canonically established.

If I were to have to place his body it would have been in the south and west of the Land of the Insect Men close to the mountainous region located there. I want the abeil to have more contact with the aarakocra and thri-kreen than I do the minnenewah at this point.

As a side note, the map of Anchorome isn't meant to show every detail in the continent. In my vision, for example, the Unole is littered with smaller lakes (Native American myth has DOZENS of lake monsters and stories that involve them). There is a lot of blank area all over the map, and I actually asked the cartographer to do that. The old FR maps from early editions, from what I remember, were like that. It allowed you to build whatever you want in the vast regions the maps covered.

I totally get it on the working with others. That's why more often than not I'm freely throwing out ideas, and then just trying to follow up on what I'm interested in (for instance, I've spent today writing a metahel creation mythology that starts with the formation of creation, into the creation of the Asagrim pantheon, talks about the Asagrim/Faernir conflict and hostage exchange, the "adoption" of Valigor the Runtborn Giant, the "foreseeing" of something akin to Ragnarok … and what REALLY happened instead... and how the pantheon now exists without Asagrimmr (aka Odin) at the helm.

That being said, I have the anchorome "copy" about 3/4 done. I've also got a good section of Maztica filled in as well. I'll send you the JPEG when I'm done in case you want to use it, but I'll also send you the same campaign cartographer 3+ file I'm working from (I'll remove the layers where I copied in a snip of a canon map to help me "trace" things easier, because I know they'll appear blank on your system). If you have the program, you can use it. If not, no sweat.
Seethyr Posted - 28 Aug 2019 : 18:37:27
Well, ANS2 Monsters of Anchorome is up and running. I am not going to lie, after 32 creatures, plus the 25 or so I made for the other campaign products, I am all monstered out. It wasn't fun towards the end...

Sorry I disappeared for a while Sleyvas, but I want to answer these questions piece by piece...

quote:

On the map updates, remember how I said I was trying to make a large scale map that would include your stuff, but also try to cover Anchorome/Maztica/Lopango/Katashaka/Osse and other areas previously unnoted? I'm still doing that. I got a lot more done yesterday for the anchorome area, and I will be deliberately putting statements directly on the map stating that the map is the work of the Cartographer's Guild of the Tharch of Luneira and that the map is say 3 or so years old and that the world is still changing. Thus, I'll be following the rough shapes you have as best I can, but also not having to worry overmuch if its wrong. Also, given that Luneira is a tharch dominated with the worship of Leira…. well, the map may be deliberately false for purposes of misinformation (a tactic the Thayans were long known for, as they didn't allow mapping of any of their cities... not just Eltabbar… by outsiders).

I think this is so cool. I have tried to keep Anchorome pretty separate from Faerun and even Maztica, but I love that you (and a few others who have emailed me) are integrating it more into the more well known Realms. I love hearing about this stuff. Why do I keep it separate, even though its completely logical for Red Wizards and such to find their way into Anchorome? Well, I love exploring other cultures and am trying to focus as much as I can on the indigenous myth portion of the continent, much like John Nephew and Jonathan Tweet did in City of Gold. I remember loving that it was a whole new, unexplored world. Right now, for me, Fort Flame is enough considering it is quite entrenched in canon. But really, I love hearing more about the Tharches and others.

quote:
When I have it done, I'm going to go through anchorome and put some general notes for areas where I'd like some other races to be (I'm picturing 3 separate groupings of bear folk and some other things we've discussed), and I'll pass it back your way. Again, my hopes are to make both our campaigns "true", so I'm trying to work around where you're placing things. I know that I'm slow (I know you feel your slow too, but you are still faster than me), but hopefully throwing out ideas along the way helps. BTW, this is very enjoyable, and I appreciate these lessons on real world myth.

I am very much into the urskans and plan on updating and applying much of what came in both 3.5e products Frostfell (where the urskans were originally found) and Stormwrack. Nathan Wormer has written up a phenomenal application of the orca-like darfellan to fit outside in the seas near Anchorome. He has them warring with the sahagin of Itzcali and all. I'm really hoping to see him publish soon.

quote:
Oh, and see in that other thread about the lammasu... I am seriously considering some links(possibly in the past only) between Mystara and Toril via anchorome. In particular the ee'aar and the avariel are both winged elves and both sound a bit like Aearee (so they may have been experiments). I also note that Mystara has a LOT of cat folk, so I'm wondering about using that. Then there's also the northmen of Mystara from GAZ7 (the Northern Reaches). Now, which direction things went (i.e. Toril to Mystara or Mystara to Toril... or even at one time one way and then a later return)… open to research.

Again, I love it. Particularly the aearee connections. Boy do I wish I could contact Gray Richardson and hear his thoughts on that as well. Where have ya gone Gray???

quote:

Still mapping place to where its at and reading through anchorome guide. I'm noting the plumed dragonborn (Tanarvraki as the Anchorome dragonborn refer to themselves) that we had talked about that are based on the mirage dragon rather than other dragons, and I know they're involved with Fort Flame. Do you have any particular placement for them? I say this because I can see them possibly trying to setup a place to live of their own. I was thinking it might make sense if they start up a small village on the other side of the river sesnaa on those mountains on the coastline, and maybe they name their settlement Tanarvrak. Their initial village might be actually caves built into the mountainside? Also, perhaps a feat for these dragonborn might be the ability to grow feathered wings.

Excellent idea, and I am wondering where this concept might arise. Perhaps in an adventure. Perhaps Fort Flame will get its own little write up at some point, particularly now that Baldur's Gate will be highlighted so much in the near future.

quote:
I noted just now as well that you're hinting to a Mirage Dragon existing in the Adusgi Forest here
When Anchôromé arrived in Abeir, the dragons of that savage world were quick to rampage through the new territories they might conquer. Not all dragons are as rapacious, and perhaps dragons still remain in the True World even beyond the time of the Sundering. Such is actually the hope of the tanarvraki dragonborn of Fort Flame. The dragonborn have always held great respect for the rare dragon species known as the mirage dragons, whom they believe to be their progenitors. Rumors abound that one such dragon lives deep within the Adusgi Forest. The dragonborn would certainly be willing to support an expedition into the forest should a group of brave individuals desire to do so.

I know the mirage dragon was first introduced in 4e in draconomicon - chromatic dragons, but its believed to be a corrupted version of green dragon that's not necessarily evil. Its also only size large in that product, but its got a ton of hit points and is a level 15 encounter. However, I'm noting I didn't see it in your anchorome product release for monsters, and it would make a great addition. That being said, if you don't mind, why not discuss ways to make this dragon BETTER than what WotC did?

First, its description... It has plumed frills around its head.... but make the wings feathered too. It kind of looks that way in the drawing they have. Also, Disney's "Pete's Dragon" has what appears to be fur, but could just as well be "green downy feathers". Maybe it is similar with soft feathers over green scales.

Second, rather oddly its listed as a size large encounter.. until I realized that 4e adult black dragons were also only size large. So, it should probably be "huge" as an adult. However, what if it really IS size large normally but it can cast enlarge/reduce (so that it can be size medium, large, or huge). This would fit with a dragon that has feywild influences I'm thinking. Maybe they often TRY to do things in their huge form, but then find it too hard, and clumsily wreck things, so they shrink so they can interact with things more easily (or to hide when they need to... see next section).

Third, while colorful as hell, what if it has a natural ability to camouflage itself, and thus finding these critters becomes an issue. They might have a bonus to an ability to hide, but they might ALSO have the ability to turn invisible (after all, look at Pete's Dragon).

Fourth, the WotC version gives them teleportation..... but maybe some abilities that are more nature oriented instead. I'm thinking meld into stone and tree stride. This is where the ability to shrink to size large would also come into play, because any stone or tree they use has to be big enough to contain them.

The more I read this, the more I think FF and possibly Adusgi needs a write up like the Land of the Insect Men. I'm not quite ready for it yet as I am headed to aarakocra territories next, but it really needs to be done. I'm sure many will want to start their campaigns in Fort Flame if they want to explore Anchorome, considering its so recognizable.

quote:

I'm still interested in some Foxibou, but I'm thinking that would make a great addition for the island/small continent where the Metahel came from instead of having elves of any sort. I know my idea of the bear folk and your Alaghi both have a similar feel, but I think they make a good fit. Oh, and I'm thinking that forest on the other side of the continent should have hybsil in it.

The Metahel are on the back burner for a while because of all that is going on. Already, there's probably a year's worth of material to work with but I am keeping a log of your ideas and contributions. That leads me to this next quote...

quote:
Oh, and btw.... I've been so skipping around the anchorome book that I just saw this, and I have to say... A - your welcome …. and B - I'm impressed, you followed through on a lot of things.

Sleyvas, I have to thank you for so many excellent ideas, I don't know where to start. Half of the Unole wouldn't be populated had you not thrown so many thoughts at me during our brainstorming sessions.

Even bigger ty in the Monster book, I sent you a complimentary copy so check it out if you get a chance...

And yes, I don't ignore any suggestion. The only one I didn't use in the final Monster product was on the hag, but I might if I update it.

quote:

Hmmm, and regarding those plumed dragonborn (Tanarvraki) DON'T get a breath weapon, but instead get some abilities which are similar to what I was describing for a mirage dragon. For instance, what if instead of the breath weapon and resistances, they instead gain a bonus to stealth skill (or ability to turn invisible) and maybe the ability to cast reduce/enlarge on themselves, and maybe a bonus +2 to dexterity. This might add some interesting descriptive things for them as well, as a dragonborn suddenly makes himself 12 to 14 foot tall to help in Fort Flame, or reduces himself to get into a cave entrance. It would also make these dragonborn a bit more inclined to roguishness or being something like a bard as well.

I had them visualized as shining 2e paladin types, but considering their progenitor is fey, that might not fit. Perhaps using the whole gamut of classes is a more appropriate visualization. I do like their breath weapon though, considering it uses a damage type unlike any other dragonborn. It made them feel very unique to me.

quote:

Ah'Muzen'Cab placement? Its beneath a bog and its a new Abeil area. Where were you thinking of placing this?

I intentionally left placement of the locations added to Anchorome in the Land of the Insect Men vague for a number of reasons.

1. It has been difficult to get my cartography to keep up with me (bad excuse I know, but I am not a pro and sometimes it is hard working with others).
2. I'd like to allow each individual area that gets a supplement to have a little leeway for independent campaigns. I have the greater continent map in the campaign guide and only included the additional Pasocada Basin one because it was already canonically established.

If I were to have to place his body it would have been in the south and west of the Land of the Insect Men close to the mountainous region located there. I want the abeil to have more contact with the aarakocra and thri-kreen than I do the minnenewah at this point.

As a side note, the map of Anchorome isn't meant to show every detail in the continent. In my vision, for example, the Unole is littered with smaller lakes (Native American myth has DOZENS of lake monsters and stories that involve them). There is a lot of blank area all over the map, and I actually asked the cartographer to do that. The old FR maps from early editions, from what I remember, were like that. It allowed you to build whatever you want in the vast regions the maps covered.
sleyvas Posted - 26 Aug 2019 : 21:49:14
sleyvas Posted - 26 Aug 2019 : 16:32:43
Hmmm, and regarding those plumed dragonborn (Tanarvraki) DON'T get a breath weapon, but instead get some abilities which are similar to what I was describing for a mirage dragon. For instance, what if instead of the breath weapon and resistances, they instead gain a bonus to stealth skill (or ability to turn invisible) and maybe the ability to cast reduce/enlarge on themselves, and maybe a bonus +2 to dexterity. This might add some interesting descriptive things for them as well, as a dragonborn suddenly makes himself 12 to 14 foot tall to help in Fort Flame, or reduces himself to get into a cave entrance. It would also make these dragonborn a bit more inclined to roguishness or being something like a bard as well.
sleyvas Posted - 26 Aug 2019 : 16:09:43
Still mapping place to where its at and reading through anchorome guide. I'm noting the plumed dragonborn (Tanarvraki as the Anchorome dragonborn refer to themselves) that we had talked about that are based on the mirage dragon rather than other dragons, and I know they're involved with Fort Flame. Do you have any particular placement for them? I say this because I can see them possibly trying to setup a place to live of their own. I was thinking it might make sense if they start up a small village on the other side of the river sesnaa on those mountains on the coastline, and maybe they name their settlement Tanarvrak. Their initial village might be actually caves built into the mountainside? Also, perhaps a feat for these dragonborn might be the ability to grow feathered wings.

I noted just now as well that you're hinting to a Mirage Dragon existing in the Adusgi Forest here
When Anchôromé arrived in Abeir, the dragons of that savage world were quick to rampage through the new territories they might conquer. Not all dragons are as rapacious, and perhaps dragons still remain in the True World even beyond the time of the Sundering. Such is actually the hope of the tanarvraki dragonborn of Fort Flame. The dragonborn have always held great respect for the rare dragon species known as the mirage dragons, whom they believe to be their progenitors. Rumors abound that one such dragon lives deep within the Adusgi Forest. The dragonborn would certainly be willing to support an expedition into the forest should a group of brave individuals desire to do so.

I know the mirage dragon was first introduced in 4e in draconomicon - chromatic dragons, but its believed to be a corrupted version of green dragon that's not necessarily evil. Its also only size large in that product, but its got a ton of hit points and is a level 15 encounter. However, I'm noting I didn't see it in your anchorome product release for monsters, and it would make a great addition. That being said, if you don't mind, why not discuss ways to make this dragon BETTER than what WotC did?

First, its description... It has plumed frills around its head.... but make the wings feathered too. It kind of looks that way in the drawing they have. Also, Disney's "Pete's Dragon" has what appears to be fur, but could just as well be "green downy feathers". Maybe it is similar with soft feathers over green scales.

Second, rather oddly its listed as a size large encounter.. until I realized that 4e adult black dragons were also only size large. So, it should probably be "huge" as an adult. However, what if it really IS size large normally but it can cast enlarge/reduce (so that it can be size medium, large, or huge). This would fit with a dragon that has feywild influences I'm thinking. Maybe they often TRY to do things in their huge form, but then find it too hard, and clumsily wreck things, so they shrink so they can interact with things more easily (or to hide when they need to... see next section).

Third, while colorful as hell, what if it has a natural ability to camouflage itself, and thus finding these critters becomes an issue. They might have a bonus to an ability to hide, but they might ALSO have the ability to turn invisible (after all, look at Pete's Dragon).

Fourth, the WotC version gives them teleportation..... but maybe some abilities that are more nature oriented instead. I'm thinking meld into stone and tree stride. This is where the ability to shrink to size large would also come into play, because any stone or tree they use has to be big enough to contain them.

I'm still interested in some Foxibou, but I'm thinking that would make a great addition for the island/small continent where the Metahel came from instead of having elves of any sort. I know my idea of the bear folk and your Alaghi both have a similar feel, but I think they make a good fit. Oh, and I'm thinking that forest on the other side of the continent should have hybsil in it.

Oh, and btw.... I've been so skipping around the anchorome book that I just saw this, and I have to say... A - your welcome …. and B - I'm impressed, you followed through on a lot of things.

Sleyvas, I have to thank you for so many excellent ideas, I don't know where to start. Half of the Unole wouldn't be populated had you not thrown so many thoughts at me during our brainstorming sessions.
sleyvas Posted - 23 Aug 2019 : 15:46:45
On the map updates, remember how I said I was trying to make a large scale map that would include your stuff, but also try to cover Anchorome/Maztica/Lopango/Katashaka/Osse and other areas previously unnoted? I'm still doing that. I got a lot more done yesterday for the anchorome area, and I will be deliberately putting statements directly on the map stating that the map is the work of the Cartographer's Guild of the Tharch of Luneira and that the map is say 3 or so years old and that the world is still changing. Thus, I'll be following the rough shapes you have as best I can, but also not having to worry overmuch if its wrong. Also, given that Luneira is a tharch dominated with the worship of Leira…. well, the map may be deliberately false for purposes of misinformation (a tactic the Thayans were long known for, as they didn't allow mapping of any of their cities... not just Eltabbar… by outsiders).

When I have it done, I'm going to go through anchorome and put some general notes for areas where I'd like some other races to be (I'm picturing 3 separate groupings of bear folk and some other things we've discussed), and I'll pass it back your way. Again, my hopes are to make both our campaigns "true", so I'm trying to work around where you're placing things. I know that I'm slow (I know you feel your slow too, but you are still faster than me), but hopefully throwing out ideas along the way helps. BTW, this is very enjoyable, and I appreciate these lessons on real world myth.

Oh, and see in that other thread about the lammasu... I am seriously considering some links(possibly in the past only) between Mystara and Toril via anchorome. In particular the ee'aar and the avariel are both winged elves and both sound a bit like Aearee (so they may have been experiments). I also note that Mystara has a LOT of cat folk, so I'm wondering about using that. Then there's also the northmen of Mystara from GAZ7 (the Northern Reaches). Now, which direction things went (i.e. Toril to Mystara or Mystara to Toril... or even at one time one way and then a later return)… open to research.
Seethyr Posted - 22 Aug 2019 : 19:51:47
quote:
Originally posted by jamesewelch

The other book images aren't loading for me, just the [x] missing image link. It's because you're linking to google.drive. They only allow linking to imgur.

Thank you again for this. I've tested it on a number of different platforms now and it seems to be working for me. I'll try to switch it over soon though anyway.

quote:

quote:

Put up a singular creature just on a whim. Had availability for the artwork so I thought I’d have some fun with it.

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/285666

I love the artwork and idea... a snail dragon... reminds me of the old order of the stick joke of some kind of snail with a bunch of templates, but more interesting. That being said, the artwork makes this believable. I also love this because from what you're describing in it, it sounds like some of what I've talked about doing with Katashaka, you may be looking to do up in Anchorome. By that I mean that in GHotR, it mentions nyama-nummo in Katashaka, and we've debated "what" a nyama-nummo is. I finally settle on the idea that its something akin to a primordial and a kaiju (i.e. Godzilla, king kong, Mothra, etc...). I was planning to have a section of Katashaka known as "Manu-Ni-Maloa, Land of the Nyama-Nummo", and fill it with these beings and have "tribes" of beings that surround them, protect them, and worship them. Having many of the "great spirits" of Anchorome being similar beasts that don't copy "Faerunian great beasts" is a wonderful idea.

I planned to then open up to interpretation... are these avatars of gods in some way, the original forms of the gods, etc... So, there might be a giant "bat" that corresponds to Camazotz, worshipped by surface bainligor living in a jungle, werebats, and a tribe of daemonfey who somehow ended up in Katashaka

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21770

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21638

I also had an idea I was using for the "Wakanari Highlands" and the "Council of the Reborn Phoenix" that features powerful beings ruling over a group of bird folk, cat folk, mouse folk, and flower folk that live and work together. They're ruled by some sphinxes, but above the sphinxes are unique "entities". It also involves earth motes. It COULD fit in with the aearee actually (though the cat motif is more "african"), though I hadn't thought about that until now.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22380

Absolutely! This is exactly the confluence of events where things seem to work out just right for lore. When I was doing my research into monsters from indigenous American lore, creatures came up that seemed to have this "colossal beast" description and it made me think of our discussions of the Nyamma-Nummo. You hit the nail on the head with this one.

quote:

Hmm, and looking at your earlier post, it seems you're headed down the road that I was thinking. Developing large beasts that fit "north American" myths to a degree (giant skunks creatures, a "dinosaur" kinda similar to the creature rumored to be in Lake Champlain,

BTW, I love the base idea of the Chenoo. I recommend they have an ability to corrupt food and drink, such that they do so in order to "procreate" their race. Maybe a minor ability to extinguish small fires (like a campfire that a group is using to keep warm). I like the idea that the Metahel are familiar with these creatures and know them as "Rime Giants" and maybe they fill the role of frost giants in Anchorome. Maybe they even act like the fey stories of old and steal individuals to conduct a "ritual" with them and turn them into Chenoo. Thus, they may wander in small "tribes". It might be interesting if there is a link to Toril's ancient ice age and the disappearance of the sun. Maybe a race of dying creatures created "Chenoo the primal hunger" as a collective of their spirit as they lay dying and freezing (or some primordial drew upon their suffering and they had worshipped him). Since then, when a new, lesser "Chenoo" is created, its "linked" to this greater spirit, and anyone saved remembers this link vaguely. Thus, the metahel near the Azuposi may have stories of these creatures, though noone in their current generations has ever seen one. There may be a belief that if "Chenoo the Primal Hunger" can be destroyed that all the other Chenoo would be freed. He might also be a warlock patron. Just some ideas to throw out.

Interesting, yes the lore on a number of these creatures can be expanded on very easily. I have tried to leave their origins relatively vague, but with hints on their place in Anchorome to build upon. This works great for the chenoo. You'd be surprised at the sheer quantity of chenoo-like monsters in the mythology. I take it the fear of getting lost and starving were very real fears that crept into the psyche of many different real world tribes. I am definitely down for expanding on chenoo lore and I love the idea of them corrupting food and drink. There is a deity named Pamola who I have made a father of sorts to the wendigo who I might give this power to as well or in lieu.

quote:
Cipelahq are cute... love it.

Oh but they should be terrifying!

quote:
Deer Woman... yes, very well done... a swan may with an attitude. I was thinking an "owl woman", but this one fits well too. Both could exist with differing backgrounds or reasons for existing and acting.

Amazingly, like all the other creatures in the book, she is directly from lore, but obviously Realmsified. I am taking a step back from bird-like beings at the moment for the thoughts of a possible treatise on the aarakocra in the near future.

quote:
Hisshishtawia ... love the idea of this hag. Recommend changing some of her spells to make the "twisted wand" seem to fit the idea that they have some power with plants. Acid splash, change that to Thorn Whip, with the hags using the Thorn Whip to drag people closer to them. Change Hold Person to entangle, and the Thorn Whip drags people into the entangle area (or spike growth area). Give them tree stride, sleet storm, and spike growth 1/day.

Good points all around. Yup, going to change them before the final edit (I'm on the last four creatures finally!)

quote:
Jipijka'm ... downplay the strength of its horn if recovered. Its not a major deal, but making it say +2 instead of +3, since +3 is so strong in 5e. I do like the indestructible part, but perhaps magic can destroy it (disintegrate for instance)... or perhaps someone using the weapon "dishonorably" in some way makes it decay rapidly.

Makes sense, changed in the final edit. I'll look into the indestructibility concept as well.

quote:
Mitchehant - good use of another "great beast". The story is a bit weird though.

The story of the actual mitchehant from legend fit intot he story of Grandim's Weir from the campaign guide relatively well, but yeah, it is a little wonky.

quote:
Piasa Bird - love the picture... move the text to make it easier to read the myth.

The real legend is so interesting...amazingly it was explorers that saw rock drawings of the mishipeshu and completely mistook it for some type of bird-creature. They basically wrote fantasy stories about the "piasa bird" with no real equivalent in Native American lore. I tried to manipulate that idea through its origin story (ergo why it is so much like a peryton).

quote:
Uktena - again, love the picture. I'd like to have these creatures be in Metahel lore as creatures they had to fight "in their homeland", but they haven't seen them down in the Pasocada basin. Their horns and scaled skin might have uses. From that reference you say Uktena is a dragon-like horned serpent of Cherokee legend.
The first Uktena was said to be transformed from a human
man in a failed assassination attempt on the sun.
.... I'd change this and reference that the Uktena have some kind of link to the Norse "dragon" that nibbled on the world tree Nidhogg... or to change the spelling some Naedhagg for the metahel... and then possibly linked to Dendar the Night Serpent). Basically do something to link it more to the realms and less to our world's myth.

This is coming just in time, I am writing up the uktena today. Of all the creatures in the book, when I did my research the wendigo, mishipeshu (water-panther) and the uktena seemed to be the most well known creatures. Just a quick aside, the artist who did this was literally one of the kindest people I ever met. She basically said, "Oh, you are writing a book, allow me to make a cool painting for you to use."

quote:

Ok, so I'm looking into the anchorome product in more detail from the perspective of "find location listed in text, find it on map" and I'm comparing your map in the product and the map pack that was released by the guy that you were working with. In some instances, it looks like the map pack is correct, and in others, its looking like the stuff in the anchorome product is correct, and I'm noting that there's discrepancies between the two on the general shapes of things. Is there a newer update? To give clearer examples, here's the two issues I've noted up so far:

From the Anchorome guide
Aarakocra patrol the northern wilds from their eyrie on Amoyeli Island

It took me a bit to find this, because I was looking at the map pack that the person you were working with for the map released. On it he's showing Amoyeli in the mountains off to the east of the Unole Ama. Just to note, he modified the Unole Ama Lake basin and entirely got rid of this island in his version that you show in the Anchorome product.

Hrmmm, I haven't seen his version but from your description, it sounds like he posted an early edit that I had asked him to make adjustments on. Amoyeli Island is an important part of my lore and will likely feature pretty heavily in my first adventure (which will borrow heavily from UK7 Dark Clouds Gather from 1e)

quote:
Sesnaajiini mountains
From the text of the Anchorome work
snowcapped, high, river runs to fort flame. Poscadari elves along river. desert dwarves roam the base of the mountain.
From the MAP of the Anchorome work
These mountains are shown as the mountains that are between the Pasocada Basin and the land of the insect men. So the text and the map in the same work don't seem to agree
From the map pack that the guy you were working with put out
These mountains are shown to the EAST of the Pasocada Basin not the north and on the other side of the desert and the mountains where the short ones live. Note, this would seem to match the description of text.

Hrmmm, I think again this might be from an older version of the product. Originally, I had the Sesnaa River flowing from the Sesnajiini Mtns, but my cartographer had erroneously placed it where you have noted. I actually liked the error and changed the lore to match. I will email you the updated pdf as soon as I go through a quick edit, but in the meantime, this is what it is supposed to read now...

The River Sesnaa

The River Sesnaa is the lifeblood of the fledgling city of Fort Flame. Its sources lies deep in the underground and it remains cold and fresh regardless of the season or temperature. The river supports plentiful freshwater and increasingly brackish fish as it approaches the Bay of Balduran.

Along its length, the most hostile of the elven tribes can be found, but even they are preyed upon by the numerous predators that wander the region. The only portion of the river that can truly be said to be safe is within ten miles or so of Fort Flame, where there are frequent mixed patrols of dragonborn and humans.

Sesnaajiini Mountains

Even in the depths of the desert, the Sesnaaliini Mountains are high enough to be capped in snow for all seasons. Runoff from the range is the source of many rivers and streams and much of the Pasocada Basin as well.

quote:
The Adusgi Forest
In your anchorome product you're showing this forest pretty far north of Fort Flame, but the guy's map pack is showing this as much smaller and almost directly east of fort flame.

I'm mainly bringing this up in case there's some easy discrepancy where some newer map version needs to be updated. That being said, I bought his map pack on the hopes that I could use it to update things and reference it and keep us all on the same page. Its looking like sorting out the discrepancies are going to make this more of a problem than its worth.

It must be an earlier version that he posted, he did increase forest size in one of the later edits. I don't know why he posted his unedited version

EDIT: I do see an issue, the River is labeled incorrectly. It'll need to be altered for the update.
sleyvas Posted - 15 Aug 2019 : 01:16:58
Ok, so I'm looking into the anchorome product in more detail from the perspective of "find location listed in text, find it on map" and I'm comparing your map in the product and the map pack that was released by the guy that you were working with. In some instances, it looks like the map pack is correct, and in others, its looking like the stuff in the anchorome product is correct, and I'm noting that there's discrepancies between the two on the general shapes of things. Is there a newer update? To give clearer examples, here's the two issues I've noted up so far:

From the Anchorome guide
Aarakocra patrol the northern wilds from their eyrie on Amoyeli Island

It took me a bit to find this, because I was looking at the map pack that the person you were working with for the map released. On it he's showing Amoyeli in the mountains off to the east of the Unole Ama. Just to note, he modified the Unole Ama Lake basin and entirely got rid of this island in his version that you show in the Anchorome product.

Sesnaajiini mountains
From the text of the Anchorome work
snowcapped, high, river runs to fort flame. Poscadari elves along river. desert dwarves roam the base of the mountain.
From the MAP of the Anchorome work
These mountains are shown as the mountains that are between the Pasocada Basin and the land of the insect men. So the text and the map in the same work don't seem to agree
From the map pack that the guy you were working with put out
These mountains are shown to the EAST of the Pasocada Basin not the north and on the other side of the desert and the mountains where the short ones live. Note, this would seem to match the description of text.

The Adusgi Forest
In your anchorome product you're showing this forest pretty far north of Fort Flame, but the guy's map pack is showing this as much smaller and almost directly east of fort flame.

I'm mainly bringing this up in case there's some easy discrepancy where some newer map version needs to be updated. That being said, I bought his map pack on the hopes that I could use it to update things and reference it and keep us all on the same page. Its looking like sorting out the discrepancies are going to make this more of a problem than its worth.
sleyvas Posted - 14 Aug 2019 : 19:46:49
Hmmm, I've been thinking more on that Chenoo idea. What if as discusses they are a collective of some spirits that died during the Faerunian ice age. The picture shows them having horns. What if those are wood? What if the beings that died were a race of plant people, and the idea of eating "flesh" is as normal to them as eating "plants" is to us... also the concept you have is that you can physically pull someone out of the Chenoo to rescue them. What if its not so easy. What if its got to be more of an exorcism of sorts because the spirit inhabits their body and then modifies them. Picturing having to capture a Chenoo and stake it down in a tent, while some Minnenewah uses incense and pipeweed and steam on burning coals to make the conditions for the spirit inside the body have to leave (because it can only exist in cold with clean air to breathe). Then, if the "spirit" of the Chenoo is expelled, maybe there's some chance to "trap" it in a vessel (like a medicine bag). This might be something that only the Minnenewah learned. The Metahel may just kill every Chenoo they meet.
sleyvas Posted - 14 Aug 2019 : 15:21:46
Hmm, and looking at your earlier post, it seems you're headed down the road that I was thinking. Developing large beasts that fit "north American" myths to a degree (giant skunks creatures, a "dinosaur" kinda similar to the creature rumored to be in Lake Champlain,

BTW, I love the base idea of the Chenoo. I recommend they have an ability to corrupt food and drink, such that they do so in order to "procreate" their race. Maybe a minor ability to extinguish small fires (like a campfire that a group is using to keep warm). I like the idea that the Metahel are familiar with these creatures and know them as "Rime Giants" and maybe they fill the role of frost giants in Anchorome. Maybe they even act like the fey stories of old and steal individuals to conduct a "ritual" with them and turn them into Chenoo. Thus, they may wander in small "tribes". It might be interesting if there is a link to Toril's ancient ice age and the disappearance of the sun. Maybe a race of dying creatures created "Chenoo the primal hunger" as a collective of their spirit as they lay dying and freezing (or some primordial drew upon their suffering and they had worshipped him). Since then, when a new, lesser "Chenoo" is created, its "linked" to this greater spirit, and anyone saved remembers this link vaguely. Thus, the metahel near the Azuposi may have stories of these creatures, though noone in their current generations has ever seen one. There may be a belief that if "Chenoo the Primal Hunger" can be destroyed that all the other Chenoo would be freed. He might also be a warlock patron. Just some ideas to throw out.

Cipelahq are cute... love it.

Deer Woman... yes, very well done... a swan may with an attitude. I was thinking an "owl woman", but this one fits well too. Both could exist with differing backgrounds or reasons for existing and acting.

Hisshishtawia ... love the idea of this hag. Recommend changing some of her spells to make the "twisted wand" seem to fit the idea that they have some power with plants. Acid splash, change that to Thorn Whip, with the hags using the Thorn Whip to drag people closer to them. Change Hold Person to entangle, and the Thorn Whip drags people into the entangle area (or spike growth area). Give them tree stride, sleet storm, and spike growth 1/day.

Jipijka'm ... downplay the strength of its horn if recovered. Its not a major deal, but making it say +2 instead of +3, since +3 is so strong in 5e. I do like the indestructible part, but perhaps magic can destroy it (disintegrate for instance)... or perhaps someone using the weapon "dishonorably" in some way makes it decay rapidly.

Mitchehant - good use of another "great beast". The story is a bit weird though.

Piasa Bird - love the picture... move the text to make it easier to read the myth.

Uktena - again, love the picture. I'd like to have these creatures be in Metahel lore as creatures they had to fight "in their homeland", but they haven't seen them down in the Pasocada basin. Their horns and scaled skin might have uses. From that reference you say Uktena is a dragon-like horned serpent of Cherokee legend.
The first Uktena was said to be transformed from a human
man in a failed assassination attempt on the sun.
.... I'd change this and reference that the Uktena have some kind of link to the Norse "dragon" that nibbled on the world tree Nidhogg... or to change the spelling some Naedhagg for the metahel... and then possibly linked to Dendar the Night Serpent). Basically do something to link it more to the realms and less to our world's myth.

sleyvas Posted - 14 Aug 2019 : 14:28:56
quote:

Put up a singular creature just on a whim. Had availability for the artwork so I thought I’d have some fun with it.

I love the artwork and idea... a snail dragon... reminds me of the old order of the stick joke of some kind of snail with a bunch of templates, but more interesting. That being said, the artwork makes this believable. I also love this because from what you're describing in it, it sounds like some of what I've talked about doing with Katashaka, you may be looking to do up in Anchorome. By that I mean that in GHotR, it mentions nyama-nummo in Katashaka, and we've debated "what" a nyama-nummo is. I finally settle on the idea that its something akin to a primordial and a kaiju (i.e. Godzilla, king kong, Mothra, etc...). I was planning to have a section of Katashaka known as "Manu-Ni-Maloa, Land of the Nyama-Nummo", and fill it with these beings and have "tribes" of beings that surround them, protect them, and worship them. Having many of the "great spirits" of Anchorome being similar beasts that don't copy "Faerunian great beasts" is a wonderful idea.

I planned to then open up to interpretation... are these avatars of gods in some way, the original forms of the gods, etc... So, there might be a giant "bat" that corresponds to Camazotz, worshipped by surface bainligor living in a jungle, werebats, and a tribe of daemonfey who somehow ended up in Katashaka

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21770

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21638

I also had an idea I was using for the "Wakanari Highlands" and the "Council of the Reborn Phoenix" that features powerful beings ruling over a group of bird folk, cat folk, mouse folk, and flower folk that live and work together. They're ruled by some sphinxes, but above the sphinxes are unique "entities". It also involves earth motes. It COULD fit in with the aearee actually (though the cat motif is more "african"), though I hadn't thought about that until now.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22380

jamesewelch Posted - 14 Aug 2019 : 00:50:08
The other book images aren't loading for me, just the [x] missing image link. It's because you're linking to google.drive. They only allow linking to imgur.
Seethyr Posted - 14 Aug 2019 : 00:42:25

Seethyr Posted - 12 Aug 2019 : 15:42:24
quote:

Are you the same Bryan Holmes from DMG discord? (the copyright says Bryan Holmes (c) 2018 in it, if not you might want to update the legalize before you forget)

Looks good. Lots of good artworks. That cover is awesome.

For a hot moment, I had no clue what you were talking about, now I have to thank you so much. That’s what I get for copy/pasting legal material without reading it!
jamesewelch Posted - 08 Aug 2019 : 01:30:57
Are you the same Bryan Holmes from DMG discord? (the copyright says Bryan Holmes (c) 2018 in it, if not you might want to update the legalize before you forget)

Looks good. Lots of good artworks. That cover is awesome.
Seethyr Posted - 07 Aug 2019 : 23:33:26
So, this isn't up on DMsGuild yet, and they have a policy that you can't share on other websites once its up I guess I'll remove the link. It's also a WIP and the creatures after the Piasa Bird are just notes and the art I will end up using.

I figured I'd share it here now as a bit of a preview. I am trying to make a monster book for Anchorome but I'd like to give it a broader appeal than just for that continent. I have gone through Indigenous American legends and pulled creatures that haven't been done (I think) anywhere else before. In the end there will be 32...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HCC3NjqrY_ifC6NI2-S19ZXrCzzwBM9f/view
jamesewelch Posted - 18 Jun 2019 : 21:47:39
Thanks. Lore and stories about the Elf-Eater is included and I've converted its stats to 5e and put it in the monsters appendix.
Seethyr Posted - 18 Jun 2019 : 18:48:35
quote:

My book is based on the god represented by my forum icon. :)

I've procrastinated too much as well. Since I've asked a few people to review and provide feedback, I've gotten my second wind and I'm spending hours every night working on it again.

Malar! Excellent. Please include his connections to Ithyak-Ortheel from the past. I've been dying for an update to that thing. If you need any ideas or an extra eye for editing, I'd be happy to help where I can.
jamesewelch Posted - 18 Jun 2019 : 18:09:03
My book is based on the god represented by my forum icon. :)

I've procrastinated too much as well. Since I've asked a few people to review and provide feedback, I've gotten my second wind and I'm spending hours every night working on it again.
Seethyr Posted - 18 Jun 2019 : 14:30:37
quote:

Hahaha. 2016....

Yeahhh, I just couldn't get it right to begin with. I knew what an undertaking it would be and procrastinated for years. Once it got going, other than gathering art and maps, the writing went rather quickly.
quote:

I started my book in Dec 2018, and I feel like it's taking forever (currently 100+ pages, and I'm doing another good size overhaul after some gameplay mechanics feedback that sparked a new idea or two on how to do things better).

What's the foundation of this book? Color me interested.

quote:

Also, if you're not already a member of the Facebook "DMG Creator's Circle" (if you use FB, you can search for that group name to find it), I'd highly recommend joining. There's a ton of great writers there and its a good forum for DMG creators to talk about stuff (not product selling/advertising, but about the process of creating, helping each other out, giving writer-to-writer feedback, etc.)

Unfortunately, I am not familiar...but will be soon!

quote:
Also, you should make a few 'Bundles' of your related products as well. That's a new feature they just added. You can bundle all of your Maztica books into a 'Maztica Bundle'. So you can just direct people to the bundle to get all of the books in one download.

You are right. I've seen the bundles before, and thought about putting one together, but I let the thought go. It is a lot less annoying I am sure, than hunting down each product individually. I don't charge for any of them (other than PWYW) so I might as well.
jamesewelch Posted - 18 Jun 2019 : 03:23:55
Hahaha. 2016....

I started my book in Dec 2018, and I feel like it's taking forever (currently 100+ pages, and I'm doing another good size overhaul after some gameplay mechanics feedback that sparked a new idea or two on how to do things better).

Also, if you're not already a member of the Facebook "DMG Creator's Circle" (if you use FB, you can search for that group name to find it), I'd highly recommend joining. There's a ton of great writers there and its a good forum for DMG creators to talk about stuff (not product selling/advertising, but about the process of creating, helping each other out, giving writer-to-writer feedback, etc.)

Also, you should make a few 'Bundles' of your related products as well. That's a new feature they just added. You can bundle all of your Maztica books into a 'Maztica Bundle'. So you can just direct people to the bundle to get all of the books in one download.
Seethyr Posted - 18 Jun 2019 : 03:13:12
quote:

Congrats! It looks great. I've added it to my wish list and will pick it up soon.

I didn't see a credits page in the sample. Is that at the end of the doc?

It is, and boy do I have credits! It took an army to get me through this piece that I literally started in 2016!

Thank you so much for the kind words too!

EDIT: I'll PM you a link to a shot of the credits page. I can't seem to get DMSGuild to preview pages at the end, unless I make it go all the way to the end.
jamesewelch Posted - 18 Jun 2019 : 03:09:30
Congrats! It looks great. I've added it to my wish list and will pick it up soon.

I didn't see a credits page in the sample. Is that at the end of the doc? I like looking through the credits page, just to see editors, artists, etc. so I can check them out (as well as writers) to see if I might be able to use them as well.
Seethyr Posted - 18 Jun 2019 : 02:46:27
Well, it’s here and it’s up! My biggest problem with this thing is the price because I spent over $300 on the artwork so I’m charging more than I’m comfortable with charging my friends (whom I consider many here). Please feel free to PM me if you’d like to talk over the price.

ANC1 The Anchôromé Campaign Guide

It explains pretty thoroughly what’s included in the description, but know that I have attempted to make a full campaign guide in the spirit of the SCAG. It’s about 50% lore, 50% crunch. If you do pick it up, I’d also be so grateful to hear feedback, even if it’s negative. It only helps you grow as a writer imo.
deserk Posted - 29 May 2019 : 01:47:09
I think the Metahel are inspired by Pacific Native American tribes like the Haida, who themselves lived a way of life similar to the Norse, and were crafty ship builders and seamen, as well known for being coastal raiders. Also, the Metahel are mentioned to live in the Poscadar Basin which is in the Northwest of Maztica, whereas for my suggestion I would place such a concept as mentioned before in the Northeast tip of Anchorome, not far from the island of Tuern. Could be a fun idea to play on theme of a "a Vinland colony that survived". Maybe they might have made pacts to crueler gods or other entities to survive those lands, or some other element that may restrict regular contact from other Northlander islands (or some other reason to explain why there aren't regular voyages by Faerunians to Anchorome via those islands).

But yeah, the Anchorome continent is a pretty vast place, about a fifth or more of Faerun, by the looks of it. So there are plenty of concepts to fill in. The Maztica books touched upon a fairly small portion of it.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/c/c7/Toril-3e.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20190515202219
Seethyr Posted - 28 May 2019 : 22:18:04
Oh that’s awesome. I’m going to have to read up a bit on Illusk to keep this as a future development. What you’ve described is very much like the Metahel, who are essentially Vikings that have learned to adapt because of their close contact to the Azuposi (canon from FMQ1). The settlement seems like it would be somewhere to the north of Fort Flame if I have my map knowledge correct?
deserk Posted - 28 May 2019 : 21:40:01
Oh this is a cool idea. Hope to see it detailed like your work on Lopango

Just an idea for something to add if it falls within taste. I always thought it would be cool to have an Illuskan colony at the northeastern tip of Anchorome, perhaps this might be something worth adding? The island of Tuern is much closer to Anchorome than Faerun after all. Could be a hybrid of an indigenous tribe of Anchorome and Illuskans. And perhaps the people might be afflicted with lycanthropy which is why the land might have limited and perhaps hostile contact with the other Illuskan lands?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000